CLOSED: Rootcutting Experiment - for anyone who wants it (Mint)

(Cathy), MO

Hi Lindy. How are you feeling now?

Norfolk, VA

got my mint today!!! darn po ripped the envelope, the plant was ok though...mail man apologized for it's condition....then wanted to know how to get plants sent to him in the mail like this!!!!! told him to sign up for DG :):):)
Thanks sevidra & kids.....will keep you updated on it's progress.....

Pawling, NY(Zone 5b)

Hi Cathy..

I'm feeling much better this past week. Thank you for asking. I even managed to eat chocolate and not get sick this week.. :) Finally.. I had to give up a lot of stuff because of the morning sickness.. Now, I'm just waiting to go back to my salads again.. :)

Lindy

Pensacola, FL(Zone 8b)

Hello I got my mint horay now i can start some mint....

(Cathy), MO

Great news. It should get easier from here on out. Hang in there!

Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

sevidra, if there's still any mint, I'll send stamps, and an envelope, but be warned, i can kill mint, even when I try to keep it going.....
Thanks for the offer, anyway, this kind of thing is fun:).

Rockaway, NJ(Zone 6a)

Okay, catmad and lcosden, your envelopes are being prepared. :)

Yes, mint can be grown indoors. Mint will grow almost anywhere - be careful with it outdoors, in fact, it's a bit weedy - it'll invade everywhere. The soil at my current place is clay and rocks, and the mint _thrived_. Heck, we never even watered it, just tossed it down out there and left it to its own devices this year.

Catmad, I wouldn't worry. I'll send you chocolate mint - it's the more virulent of the two, so to speak. Maybe it will grow for you!

-Sev

Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

Thanks, Sev....in the mail the stamps will go, Hi-ho. Hi-ho.....

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

I am still at the landlord having someone cut down you garden and roses. I think I would have to sic the dog or kids on them.

This message was edited Nov 3, 2007 12:31 PM

Wyano, PA(Zone 6a)

To Sev & the kids...

Thank you so much, the mint arrived today. It looked really good for going through the USPS in an envelope. ; ) My son & I are going to plant it right now. What a fun experiment. I'll be sure to keep you updated!

Thanks again!
~Dawn

Winamac, IN

Any mint left :)

Rockaway, NJ(Zone 6a)

Sure, though it won't go out til Monday. No post on Sundays! *laugh*

-Sev

Winamac, IN

Lol! How many stamps should I send? On Monday, that is :)

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Here's a picture of the planted chocolate mint. The mint was planted Nov. 2nd. This picture was taken Nov 4th. It is planted in my herb windowbox with thyme, parsley and dill.

Thumbnail by mittsy
Thomasville, GA(Zone 8b)

if you have any left I would be happy to send postage, just let me know

I promise to neglect it properly for your experiment

:)

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

havne t gotten mine yet. might be in the po office but our post office is closed on saterday. at least it will be warm. we have had some cold temps here a night lately. will be in a greenhouse though so no worries.

can send stamps if it will help. rie

Pawling, NY(Zone 5b)

FYI, ahhh... If you're planting mint with other herbs, you might want to stick that in a plastic cup and sink the cup into the herb basket. Or you might have a basket of just mint when it gets going... Past experience from an herbal gift basket a long long long time ago..

Rockaway, NJ(Zone 6a)

haha ok. If you are asking for mint and aren't in the address exchange, you'll need to d-mail me your address, so I know where to send it. I have tons of chocolate mint left.

Two envies from friday didn't go out, hubby 'took them to the mailbox' - and I found them this morning *eyeroll*

I'll re-package them, since I don't want to send pre-killed mint! LOL

-Sev

Milo, ME(Zone 4a)

sevidra I received my mint today.was in regular or the chocolate just so i know.Thank you for your geneous offer.Cant get it planted today it is raining and I am sick hubby gave me a cold thank you so much Robin

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

Thank you, my mint arrived today, into a pot it goes. Does this have to stay inside all winter, or can it go outside in my baby nursery? Cathy

I have mint in zone 5a and it makes it fine through the winter, but you should give it a chance to develope some roots before you put it outside, I would think.

Thanks mittsy, I'll do that.

(Cathy), MO

Got my mint! Thanks so much. I will get it in a pot and see what it can do.

Strasburg, VA(Zone 6b)

hi, i got mine the other day and it was pretty smushed up...we'll see if it pulls through :-)

Here is my mint, tiny and bruised but the roots looked okay.

Thumbnail by cathy4

cathy4, now don't go all high falutin' and spoil that mint with such a lovely pot and saucer, probably gave it premium pott'n mix too, didn'tcha?

Rockaway, NJ(Zone 6a)

*blink* How many of those pokey bits did it have when it arrived, cathy?

I don't think it had more than one when we sent it.

The boys got a kick out of sending bare roots to people. Lcosden, yours came back to me for some mysterious reason. It went back out today. It was _growing_ in its envelope - it's developing leaves.

My husband had a question to add to the experiment, and the boys seem to like the idea. Has anyone tried planting mint (the choco one that seems so virulent, I guess) in a pot next to kudzu to let them battle it out and see what happens?

Strange concept, we mght do it next year except we're afraid to have kudzu anywhere...

-Sev

Well, it was in broken bits when it arrived, and some of the leaves had fallen off. I cut it into pieces that each had some roots, one is teeny tiny. Yes, it is in premium potting soil, worth every penny. I saw the teacup planter on another thread and remembered I had received flowers in this cup and saucer. So it is doing its 2nd tour holding a gift, smiling.

It arrived better than some seeds that were mailed to me recently, all I got was the front of the envelope, couldn't believe it!

Rockaway, NJ(Zone 6a)

Closing the offer to give me more time to do seed swaps and whatnot. Please, let me know still when things arrived (this is the first time I've closed a thread - I don't want people to be unable to post, just done sending out the snippets I had).

-Sev

Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

Sev wrote;"My husband had a question to add to the experiment, and the boys seem to like the idea. Has anyone tried planting mint (the choco one that seems so virulent, I guess) in a pot next to kudzu to let them battle it out and see what happens?

Strange concept, we mght do it next year except we're afraid to have kudzu anywhere...

*G*. Well, I'll try to remember in the spring when the kudzu comes back, and if the mint survives I'll set some of each in a pot to do battle.

Thankls again for the offer, this should be fun!

Margo

Pawling, NY(Zone 5b)

Sevidra, that's wierd that plant was sent back to you.. I just check my address and it was correct in the address exchange.. Hmm.... And I read on the other blackberry thread that you don't have any flower seeds. Do you want some of my extra flower seeds? I have extra seeds of the following that other DGers sent me along with trades.. Let me know if you're interested..

Lindy

purple latris, stella d'oro daylily, sunflower discover mix, salvia viridis, evening primrose and rosie o'day alyssum

Rockaway, NJ(Zone 6a)

lcos, it's okay. I just packed it up in a new envie and sent it back. I don't know why it came back - it wasn't marked with a reason.

Hopefully you'll get this one.

I just released a handful of ladybugs into my apartment, because I found out we had an insect pest. My beets died :(

Stupid little things - aphids or thrips or something like that. They looked like aphids. Either way, soft-bodied little bugs were killing my indoor veggies. The mint just laughed and let em eat, but other things died. So I let out the nastybugs! >:)

My cat thinks I've hand-delivered a whole bunch of new toys, just for her (you should see her, jumping all over the apartment chasing the things LOL). Hopefully, aphid death will follow soon. They're so busy already, climbing all over the plants I put them into!

(edit to add: Forgot to say, no, I'm trying to grow only edible things, Lcosden, thank you though. Anything edible I'd love, but if we can't eat it, it doesn't go into the garden or the containers unless it's a medicinal - and that's useful, if not edible).

This message was edited Nov 7, 2007 3:50 PM

Oh my poor little mint is looking really sad today, only one little piece looks like a live plant. Only time will tell, it was really smashed when it arrived.

Norfolk, VA

mymint is looking up today. planted it in a little 2in. pot when it arrived. it has the start of 2 new leaves on it. good luck with the lady bugs, watching the cat chase them is just an extra treat!

Deer Park, TX(Zone 9a)

Received a stick with some roots. Crossing my fingers.
Honey

Pawling, NY(Zone 5b)

sevidra, I've sent my edible to the veggie mayhem swap. So Mittsy will probably distrubute it.. I had tons of salad and herb seeds in there..

Zolfo Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Sevidra, Received my mint today and have it in the pot. Can't tell for sure but I think it is going to be fine still had some green on it. It should do well in Fla. Do you remember what kind you sent. Was it chocolate or something else. Thank you so much will keep you posted.

Linda

Sev, Please list any medicinals that you would like to have, I am sure we can help you with them, I am willing to start any plants from seed while here in florida. You have been so generous with your mint we'd like to help you out. I could mail all starts when I mail your lime tree seedling.
Hugs, Mittsy

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Sev,
I got mine yesterday! Stuck the snippets in a pot, and into the GH they go! Will take pictures of their progress. Anything else I can do for you and the boys?
Would like to see too whether they'd help eradicate parasitic kudzus.
~Jaye

Pawling, NY(Zone 5b)

sevidra, do you want an aloe? Technically that's medicinal.. :) For sunburns and stuff.. And I have extra plants..

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.