CLOSED: Rootcutting Experiment - for anyone who wants it (Mint)

Norfolk, VA

I thought mine was going to die, then this morning it had the start of new leaves on it!

Rockaway, NJ(Zone 6a)

Hah - this mint is hilarious. Back from the dead, indeed!

Lcosden, I have aloe, thanks. Mine's even making baby aloes! It's both edible AND medicinal - that's a cool plant.

Mittsy, I've got your average kitchen garden for herbs (fennel, oregano, thyme, basil, you get the idea). I also have a few other select things like yarrow and mullein and such, in seed form at least. I had feverfew a while ago, but when we moved, I lost it. :(

I'd like to get my hands on sorrel, feverfew, and _Roman_ chamomile. All I've been able to find is the German kind. It's not a huge difference, but I like the taste of it. Also verbena (pref. Lemon Verbena), but finding that is a royal pain.

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

My mint got here today. Just put it into a jar of water. I will pot it up this weekend! Nichole

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Sev, would you like sasafrass? I could send you some from KY when we go for thanksgiving. I was showing my dil how to identify it from the left mitten, right mitten and two thumb mitten shape. They have a lot of small plants, and wouldn't mind if I dug some up.I am going to collect dogwood tree seeds too.

Rockaway, NJ(Zone 6a)

ooooh I'd LOVE it! Thank you!

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8b)

The mint arrived beat up by the Post Office but still thriving

I'll pot it up

On the way to you are stamps and a thank-you plant....I am so enjoying this "Survivor: Mint" episode!

Erin

Rockaway, NJ(Zone 6a)

ROFL Survivor: Mint

And the winner appears to be Chocolate Mint, which has survived in all cases that have been reported, so far. Amazing. The kids are considering mashing it up and throwing it into a pot to see if it will go after that - we're all reminded of starfish.

Starfish are evil. There was an episode a while back (some years) near Japan, where some moron decided to get rid of the starfish that were plaguing their pearl oysters. He went out in a boat, fished the starfish up, chopped them all up into little pieces, and _tossed them back into the ocean_.

Not too long afterward, they had 10 times the number of starfish. Apparently, he hadn't realized that _starfish regenerate_. Every tiny piece became a whole new starfish - and we got to have a pearl shortage for a year or two!

Starfish mint? LOL

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

Two parts of my broken mint did die, but the roots are already sending up 2 new itty bitty green stems. The main piece looks like it is going to live, so I have to say mine survived. Totally amazing!

Okay i'll dig you sasafrass.
Mittsy

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8a)

My mint arrived yesterday and was potted. It looked like it might survive and I will keep you posted. Elaine.

Rockaway, NJ(Zone 6a)

Bwahahahahahaha

My husband _apologized_ last night because he's not a fruit. I think I need to spend more time with him and put the seeds down for a day LOL

-Sev

Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

*G*, well, at least he knows his rank in the hierarchy:). My mint arrived safely, and is now potted. I do have a question, tho. Being a Mint Murderer, I need to ask if I did this right. The piece seemed to be a short stalk with a long root system. However, when I went to plant it, it is a long piece with several "clusters" of roots, and three of the clusters have little green thingies (yes, I'm sure that's the technical term) growing from them. Instead of burying the whole bottom, I kinda laid it on the top and mounded soil where there were no thingies, with the roots covered. Is that right?
Thanks sevidra, this is fun. I just hope the poor greenbaby lives........

This message was edited Nov 12, 2007 8:44 AM

Rockaway, NJ(Zone 6a)

Honestly, I don't think it matters if you bury them. I yanked some out of the garden this fall, and tossed them in a greenhouse tray (the black ones with NO HOLES), just to see if they'd live there. All the little green sprouty bits that you're leaving? They grew up out through the soil - little lines of mintplants. So I don't know, but I suspect they'll grow no matter what you do with them.

Water it once or twice a week and it should grow. *shrug*

And yeah, it cracked me up when he said that. I still giggle about it. At least I didn't threaten to cut off his seed-head for plantings!

Okay, I know that was terrible. Sorry, I couldn't resist. It's a horribly gray, possibly s-n-o-w-y day out, so I have to keep laughing.

-Sev

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Here's another of your "survivor" mint. Thought it was a gonner, until a teensy weensy green pops up. Looks like there's hope.

Thumbnail by heavenscape
Norfolk, VA

the "survivor mint" is doing great! it's got new leaves and seams to like being misted daily!!!

Naples, FL(Zone 10a)

My mint is alive as well. When/how (other than sniffing) will I know which variety I have? Do they look different?

Zolfo Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Sev, my mint is also alive and well beginning to put on leaves. I think mine is chocolate at least it smells like chocolate. Thanks agina Linda

Rockaway, NJ(Zone 6a)

Good gracious.
They really are survivors!

Dutchlady, they do look slightly different. The chocolate is a slightly darker color, with darker stems than normal peppermint. Also, normal peppermint has a 'sharp' mint smell. Chocolate mint smells like ... well, for lack of anything better, it smells like starlight mints with a bit of chocolateyness. It smells like candy. So it should be easy to tell, based on that - if it smells sweet and candylike, it's the chocolate mint.

The regular peppermint has slightly different leaves, too - chocolate is a very smooth look, almost glossy.

The funniest thing to add to the report from our end: We MOWED a pot full of the chocolate a few days ago. It was getting leggy and we felt like eating it in something, so we took scissors and mowed it down like a lawnmower - less than 2" to a stalk.

In two days, they've gained an inch back and are totally ignoring the mowing. Nothing even died.

LOL

-Sev

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Hi Sev, just wondering if this experiment is still ongoing? I would love to try it if there is any left. Thanks, Misty

Rockaway, NJ(Zone 6a)

Misty, I've closed the experiment itself, but if you want to get chocolate mint from me (most of the rest is in winter mode, we have choco in a box inside), send me a SASE (#10 regular envie works fine, it seems) with three stamps on it, and I'll pack up a cutting for you. Make sure you tell me it's from you, though! *laugh*

I'm in the exchange. When I move, I'll update the addy - you can still send it here now though.

-Sev

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

COOL! Thanks! I have plenty of extra pots that I can put it in, and the chocolate is just great by me! :) I'm a newbie and willing to try just about anything! :) I will look your addy up and get the envy out in the mail. Thanks again, Misty

My baby is getting bigger. The one piece that didn't die has a new leaf, and three tiny stems now have 2 itty bitty leaves.

Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

Wheeeeeee! IT'S ALIVE!! there are three tiny plants growing from the stalk I planted. The original green died back, but there is life yet:). Doing a happy dance......:)

Naples, FL(Zone 10a)

I just want to report that I have had to repot my little plant as it's growing vigorously :-)
And I think it must be the chocolate mint, from your description.

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

mine is dormant as the weather here has been pretty cold. it did have a tiny new under ground shoot though. so we will see.

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Mine isn't doing much either. I was able to cut my piece into 3 pieces, after roots grew in so many places while I had it in water. Each of the little 3 pieces do have leaves . . . I'm thinking that maybe they're working on a better root system. Guessing I may have to bring them inside in a few weeks . . .

Mine (chocolate mint) had to go into it's own pot as it starting crowding my other herbs in my window box. It smells and tastes delicious. Can't wait to use it as a garnish on brownie sundaes.
Mittsy

Rockaway, NJ(Zone 6a)

Wow, it survived everything. We had a few pieces we swore wouldn't survive, as they were just basically rooty-sticks. And here they are, putting up leaves. Amazing stuff.

We thought about putting it into our clover lawn when we get to the new place, but we've decided it would probably endanger the garden LOL

-Sev

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

I don't know about mine yet, Sev. Will keep you updated. :)

I have two more tiny sprouts showing today, that will make 7 total. The longest stem is about 4 inches tall now. I wish I knew if it was chocolate or regular, can't tell from smell yet. I believe I will keep this in a pot when it goes outside in the spring.

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

I didn't count my sprouts yet, but I thought it was dead, and WHAM, it took off! Here I thought it was a goner when it came in the mail, but it did all of this from the roots in just a few days! I can't smell it now, but I could when I took it out of the baggy, and MMMMMMM it smelled good! :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.