It's time to vote on our 2017 photo contest! Vote for your favorite photos of the year here!

punch of color suggestion

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

Hi, I am redoing a large flower bed at church. It is the largest, and is pretty much centered in the parking lot in line with the church doors, so I want it to to be the centerpiece that says Wow, come on in. I've started with a zigzaged row of red knockout rose bushes that point toward the door and i want to mirror each side since it is viewed from both sides as you enter the parking lot. Around the edge I've planted bright yellow mums for fall, and I'm planning other yellow blooming flowers for next spring.

I'm worried about the lack of height, and I'm wondering if I should add something taller in a small amount, and perhaps a bright spot of another color.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Lansing, KS(Zone 5b)

Hi Cathy~ Just a thought...how about planting verbena bonariensis interspersed with the yellow blooms next year? In full sun, they will grow 3-6 feet and " float" over the yellow blooms for a nice color punch and height. The blooms are long lasting and you can deadhead them every few weeks to extend the blooming season until the first heavy frost or you can let them self seed in the Fall. This is not the best shot, but you can see a branch of the verbena floating over the melapodium on the right.

Thumbnail by garden6
St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

That is very pretty, I'm going to write this down to remember. Thank you!

Lansing, KS(Zone 5b)

You're welcome! ;0)

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Canna's are very vesatile. There is no end to the number of cultivars, colors and sizes. The down side is that they need to be dug and stored in the fall. An annual to consider are dahlias. Again, all kinds of heights and colors. Both bloom all summer up until frost. Another completely different consideration could be an ornamental grass. There are endless varieties. They can be left standing for winter interest. Some are as good to look at in the winter as in the summer.

Scottsburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Depending on the amount of sun/shade they get, you could also try either white gooseneck loosestrife (being in a contained bed will help), bugbane (cimicifuga), or little henry sweetspire. The bugbane gets height to it, but the other two have interesting shapes, and being white should show off the roses to their best advantage. (Plus, they're perennials!)

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

All good ideas dryad57. I especially like the "little henry" sweetspire. Wish I had thought of that! Gives me some ideas for a new bed I'm planning next spring.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images