Help with a possible fungus or bugs

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

I posted this in the disease forum and didn't get any responses. Hoping someone here can help. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=4150714

It is on my Stictocardia, and was covered within a few days. I don't want to keep it if it is something that is going to spread to my other plants. I looked through a magnifying glass and can't see anything moving.

Right now it is all by it's lonesome in the bathtub!

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

I looked on this site briefly but didn't see anything that looks like bugs on your plant:
http://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/plantclinic/resources/pls-res.html

While I doing an internet search, I ran across this interesting organic remedy website:
http://www.ghorganics.com/page15.html

Sorry, Ronnie! Being a newbie to gardening, I don't recognize it from my own garden issues!

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Thank you for two great links Becky and for trying for me!!! I don't want to toss it just yet, I started it from seed and am hoping for a flower next season if it survives, but I do have others that I like better and don't want them to get infected too. I will look int home remedies I like them the best!!

Mesilla Park, NM

Ronnie, I've had to cut off all the leaves off of some of the species, then they grew back healthy, after cutting the leaves off, just treat the stem and give a little diluted fish emulsion when it is the next time to water. Most of them came back, the ones I lost early on were due to the dogs... I'll also go take a look.

Mesilla Park, NM

Ronnie,
Wash them off really good with a mister or water sprayer. Also Wipe them off too, I've seen those black things too and don't know what the are, I think i've seen them id'd somewhere. I would also use a mixture of alcohol/peroxide in the water (VERY diluted so you dont dry it out too much, after washing it really good with this, then rinse it off with plain water too). Keep it warm and give it some soup..lol.

Clatskanie, OR(Zone 9b)

Luvs, this doesn't look like anything dangerous to me. You see these nodules on Ivy and on boston ivy, and they look to me like adventitious root primordia. If they are,(those white things), they will get larger and will either turn into genuine roots or clinging roots. The black stuf just looks like dirt that would of couse stick to the short white fuzz growing everywhere on the stem. Nephey II. If you have already put it, under the knife, and I am right, this stem should root easily.

A second possibility for Nephey II, is that the plant being from Africa, may develop stem nectories, which pool nectar to feed the guardian ants that keep the plant insect free. If this is the case, this would be a good specie to keep near those plants prone to mites. You might want to put a few ants on it to see if they are attracted at all. They love sugar. If this is your only Stictocardia, please keep us posted with further developements. If you have others, how about some more pictures? Frank

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Frank it's my only one out of 5 expensive seeds. That's why I don't want to lose it. When touch the nodule looking things they squish real easy, they are soft. Are stem nectories soft? I'll have to look that up. The black stuff seemed to come after I sprayed it with the neem then peppermint soap.

Thanks, A. I was thinking about wiping it with alcohol, I just don't want to loose it!!

Darn I keep telling my husband I need a green house, then I could let some beneficials do the dirty work. I don't think it's to keen to let beneficial bugs loose in my granddaughters bedroom LOL!

Netcong, NJ(Zone 5b)

Ronnie - I think you may have some type of scale infestation...try piercing them and see what happens...

Frank may be right about the possibility of the 'tissue' being a form of adventitious root primordia in which case placing a cutting of the material in water should yield roots emerging from the nodule-like growth...but that is not what the extra-floral nectaries on Convolvulaceae look like...

If the unusual material does not prove to be helpful early root tissue >I would carefully scrape them off...

TTY,...

Ron

Clatskanie, OR(Zone 9b)

If they mush it probably is the beginning of scale. This is the time of the year that the tiny scale gnats are out there at it. They really like the maple trees.

The kind of Scale I have here is large and always found on the bottom of the branches, where you see the pine siskins picking them off in the winter when there are few bugs. Chances are that the flying season for the gnats is over. They are ephemeral and short lived.

All my gradeschool report cards always had squashed gnats in them, from me catching them one the way home from school. Even though they only last about a week or so, they are there at the same time each year.

I bought some of those seeds too. Ouch Frank

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

I thought of scale too , but it was also on the leaves and I've never seen that before on my Hibiscus only on the branches.

I've been keeping it sprayed with peppermint soap and the mushy stuff turns black after a bit. As long as I can keep it alive and it doesn't spread to my other plants I'll be happy. I'll post a picture of it after the spraying when I can.

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

YIKES looks like scale eggs to me now!! Just a different color...
http://ctrees.cas.psu.edu/insects/WhitePineScaleEggsHatch_large.jpg

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

i was gonna say scale too. i had it on my mg this years and just constantly washed it off and sprayed with insecticdial soap. the stuff left behind by mine was due to ants surrounding them. i took it to a nursery and they told me eggs and by product the stuff was. nasty stuff.

good luck

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.