Organizing your spices

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

I saw Alton Brown's spice "rack". He puts his spice/s inside little round tins similar to what special mints come in. He says they are available at craft or hardware store. He labels ea. tin. On the back of ea. tin he glues some velcro and on an inside cupboard door, in his kitchen, he glues the other side for velcro. Then he sticks the tins,w/ label on top, to the velcro on the door. Spice rack!!

Rock Hill, SC(Zone 7b)

I love the tins for my spices. I have a long magnet like the ones used to hold tools mounted on the wall and the tins stick on the magnet. I have another magnet that I have my knives mounted on so I don't have to stick them in a drawer or take up counter space with a block.

Here is a link to the site I got them from...I got extras and use them to keep craft supplies in my sewing room. With the clear tops I can easily see what is in each tin.

http://www.specialtybottle.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=39

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

thanks pinkpgirl. Magnet? what a great idea. And easier then velcro. Thank you for the link, too.

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

oh this is a nice thread thanks for the ideas!

Tempe, AZ(Zone 9a)

I keep mine inside my kitchen cupboard on a double turntable stand, alphabetized. Quick and easy, no hardware, no installation. Maybe someday I'll put everything in uniform labeled containers but the original containers take up less space and I'd rather be gardening. ;o)

This was my sunrise this morning. 70's all week long - Spring fever has set in.

Thumbnail by CindyInAZ

I lke those tin containers. My niece gave me a set that has a magnet board and the containers with clear lids. The containers are plastic and do not turn to close so I wouldn't put spices in them. They are very handy for little items.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I have just like Cindy, (without that gorgeaous sunrise.)
What I want and can't find is th e thing Alton uses for salt, the little can with lid that you flip up with your thumb. Anybody tells me where to get that, I'll owe you one.

Well, its got his name on it. THanks!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

They must have gotten that magnet idea from me.....right after I made my own magnetic rack to attach to the side of my fridge I start seeing them everywhere. lol
Does everybody alphabetize their spices????

I don't have enough spices to alphabetize them. The ones I use more often are in the front. When watching the renovating shows I love to see all the new organization things for kitchens. It doesn't seem like there are any cabinets - just drawers. And the new thing is the drawer for spices. Very cool. There is a new drawer for under the sink. It is U shaped and made of stainless steel for sponges and stuff. I would love all new cabinets and drawers.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I love that drawer for spices, that's so cool. I have the undersink drawer for the sponges but it not that great. The sponges stay too damp and get that funky smell.

Houston, United States(Zone 9b)

Run your sponge each day through the DW. That's where mine is stored overnight :) and comes out perfect!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Yes that's what I do. I don't use my little under the sink drawers it's just gross.

darn- my dad put those in his house and I thought it was a neat concept. Maybe in the bathrooom, for my makeup, what little there is

Charlevoix, MI(Zone 4b)

I alphabetize the bottles and I buy all the same brand so that the bottles are all the same. HOWEVER, I started buying my spices in bulk, so the tins/magnet idea is a winner!!

Nashville, TN(Zone 7a)

Our grocery has a hispanic food section & the spices come in plastic packages. They are a lot less expensive than the conventional ones in the jars. Not as much selection though.

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

My spices take up 2 cupboards. Other than using lazy suzans for the little bottles, I can't think my way thru to organizing them. Any ideas for this problem?

Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

Lots of good ideas. I keep mine in a kitchen drawer that is shallow. They are layed on there side with the label up, I don't alphabetize mine. I prefer to have spiced I used together laying by one another. Ginger with the Cinnamon, then sage, thyme and Rosemary, etc. It is just my own solution that works well for me. If someone were to move them it would drive me nuts. I put them back in their slot asap!

Muncie, IN(Zone 5b)

We have a pantry with a door that was not being used, so we purchased some storage racks at Menards and screwed them into the wood door. Then I put the spices on there in ABC order. It really helps!
I also keep my vanilla and baking powder and baking soda on the bottom rack so I don't have to look for it.

Thumbnail by sandy0225
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I want to get one of those racks for the closet in my bathroom

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

I'd love one for our vitamins and another for the shampoos, gels, and hairsprays & stuff.
What a neat idea! Thanks

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Wonderful idea. I will get one for myself and children. Thanks for sharing.

West Warren, MA

You all gave me 5 minutes of energy and cleaned a 12X12 spot on my kitchen counter...any hints from those living in studio apts..???

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

I now have those spice organizers and other wire shelves on the backside of several closet doors and cupboards.
I know that it is a bad thing to do; I put a lable on the ends of the cords for all of my small appliances and shove them, sight unseen into the awkward corner cupboard and leave the end of the cord up front where I can see it. When I need the forman grill or the blender or whatever, I grab it's cord and pull it to the front. I know that this is a bad bad thing to do to the cords. I don't use the appliances when I am not supervising them and I unplug them when I'm done. I figure that I can pick these appliances up at the thrift store if I ruin one.

Shakopee, MN

I found his EXACT one at bed bath and beyond on there website here's the link.

https://m.bedbathandbeyond.com/m/product/rsvp-salt-server-with-spoon/1045864049?skuId=45864049

Quote from sallyg :
I have just like Cindy, (without that gorgeaous sunrise.)
What I want and can't find is th e thing Alton uses for salt, the little can with lid that you flip up with your thumb. Anybody tells me where to get that, I'll owe you one.

Kansas City, MO

I've made it a rule to get everything I can up in the air. It's so much easier to clean that way. Besides, I used to live in a studio, and it was very useful. Now I'm looking for a spice organizer because there are more of them in the new kitchen.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.