Flowing and Glowing (Tips for Long Hair Part II)

Deatsville, AL(Zone 8a)

Intresting site, jlp222. Only if they want people to grow their hair out and donate it, they shouldnt say to get it trimmed every 8 weeks. Seems too often to me. Especially if your hair grows slowly, you would just be cutting off all of the growth since last trim. Sorry, got carried away there. Good idea, though to donate! I have heard of something like that called locks of love, but I think I heard that those donations were only for children with cancer.

Raleigh, NC

well, that's just it....I practically raised my first two alone, even when I was married to their dad!! They never had the relationship with their dad they would have liked. Married DH, he was 39, June 1st, the kids went to spend the whole summer with their dad. DH missed them so much we had one more child so he'd have one he didn't have to give away, on the agreement that he help raise her. He has been more of her mom than I have! They have a wonderful relationship. But I didn't think about her learning to become more geek-ish from her computer genius dad!

and neither daughter is going to learn girly girl from me!!!! Both girls are gentle hearts and gorgeous hair, and built the same ways. Just I want so much for her to not hurt so much.

This message was edited Jul 10, 2008 8:01 AM

Raleigh, NC

I'd actually be charmed if DD would clean hers up, cut it off!

How does she feel about the situation? Does she comment on it? Does she say that she wants to change her appearance?

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

Accutane is an oral prescription drug that you get from a dermatologist. They usually start acne patients off with oral antibiotics, but if your daughter's skin is severe, they may go straight to Accutane. It is a high doseage of vitamin A. There was a lot of controversy about this drug, because it can cause horrible birth defects if taken during pregnancy. (Only while taking the drug) After 3 days of starting the drug, my skin dried up & I never got another zit. It is taken for about 3 months, if I remember correctly. Most celebrities do Accutane. There is nothing else that I know of that can totally obliterate acne. I did Accutane when I was 21, & my only regret is that I did not do it sooner!
Such a difficult time - School is such a small, cruel little world. I would not go back to my teenager years for a million dollars! But life is NOT like school - There is so much more out there. It just takes time to get through it - You will have to be one strong Mom for her~
Julie

Raleigh, NC

thank you JRush

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Bonjon, I wonder if maybe only Dad is going to have any power here. Maybe he could gently drop hints as to how he would like to see her hair stay clean. Maybe he could buy her a special shampoo for his special girl? He sounds like a very loving Dad. How wonderful!

When I read all your posts together I almost get the idea that because of the situation, she uses that to ''show'' she's different and doesn't care. If everyone makes fun of her anyway, she'll chose what they can make fun of.

It's so sad to see a bright young person picked on till they feel like they are the only one in school no one likes.

Raleigh, NC

yup, dad and bib sister have the power - but mom has to find the information for them! LOL

Emporia, KS(Zone 5b)

I had a dr prescribe BenzaClinz for acne... I didn't break out much in jr high or high school- but I've had troubles since I was 21 when I moved to the Midwest from a desert climate. Developed allergies, too. Never had that before.

BenzaClinz works well but it's another one you're not supposed to take if you're pregnant. I got pregnant while I was using this and didn't realize I was pregnant until I was already 3 months along (oops...) so for 3 months, I was using this while pregnant. Child has no side effects. Maybe he's lucky, though... I don't know.

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

Accutane causes awful side effects - The kinds where the infant doesn't even survive. I had to sign a form stating I would terminate if I became pregnant while taking it. This dermatologist made all of his female patients sign this form. I think it was so controversial because it was also new back then. Now all of the celebrities do Accutane like they're popping a tic-tac. But the side effects are only while you are taking the drug - It is not known to have any long term side effects, except for never having another zit!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Just checking in to see what's new.

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

I can never find a way to keep my hair from getting knotted at nighttime. I have tried the "whirl-a-twirl", the hairdini, plus a couple other contraptions from Claire's. The one I like best is a wire loop covered in velour, with a hole in the center. You pull a ponytail through the hole, slide it all the way to the ends of your hair, then roll the hair around it to make a bun. In the morning, I take it out & I have these lovely, smooth big curls. But the wire breaks after a while, after all that bending time after time. They are priced about $12 in the store. I finally found a seller on eBay that hand makes them, & sells them in lots of 5 for about $30. They are much sturdier than the store bought ones, & you get to choose the colors. They advertise them for use as bun rollers, but with long hair it gets too large, & it kind of resembles a large donut stuck to your head. Maybe it looks better with shorter hair. But I LOVE to use it at night - It works perfectly!
Perhaps someone else will find them useful too - I am very pleased with them.
Julie

Here is the eBay link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Roll-A-Bun-EZ-Hair-Bun-Twist-A-Bun-Lea-Buns-Twisters_W0QQitemZ220277094247QQihZ012QQcategoryZ82591QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I appreciate the link, since my "hairdini" self-destructed a while back. I put my hair in a single braid at night, and that works well for me, even leaves a little bit of wave in my very straight hair (some days, anyway). I can't imagine trying to sleep with a "large donut stuck to [my] head" LOL...

Raleigh, NC

JRush, now that sounds simple enough for daughter to do.

she's been better this year, more positive and happy, so far. school only in session for one week. but she's thinking positive. her parakeets had babies over the summer - it's been fun to watch them. I took irises to market, and she thoroughly enjoyed helping me sell them. She's asked to help weed them for $$ - heck yeah!

Emporia, KS(Zone 5b)

They look cool... I wish the photos would enlarge even more so I could see them better, though. Or perhaps used blonde haired person with a black EZ-Hair Bun or vice versa. You know?

I put my hair in a braid at night. I used to do ponytails but the pressure of it against my head kept giving me headaches. So a braid works just right for me. But I perhaps don't get the nice curls like the EZ-Hair Bun thingy gives you. lol ; )

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Bonjon, I'm so glad! I've been thinking about her, hoping things would look up!!

I feel pretty lucky to not have to tie my hair up. Mine looks better slept on than it does freshly washed.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.