A walk down the primroses path

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Primula glaucescens...I'd better stop for a while! Don't get me started on the candelabra types!

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

Excellent, Todd!

somewhere, PA

Oooo... what a lovely christmas gift Todd!
Tam

Nelson, NH(Zone 5a)

They are beautiful! I'm sure we all can't wait for the candelabra types now!

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

I will be doing an article on them for DG in February.

Nelson, NH(Zone 5a)

Can't wait!

(Zone 5a)

Wonderful photos Lori, Tam and Todd! I have quite a few of the ones you've posted but there are soooooo many more I'd like to have ;-) lol Too many to mention.

Tammy - your possibly other P. veris could also be a P. elatior hybrid. The flowers are slightly larger than P. veris. I have the P. elatior in the same red as you posted and also a hot pink.

I have a few that haven't been posted yet :

This is P. florindae, red and yellow in the back.

Thumbnail by rannveig
(Zone 5a)

P. involuncrata:

Thumbnail by rannveig
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

P. involucrata is delightful! Love the pink tube versus the white petals!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Nice plants, Todd and Rannveig! Todd, is the photo you posted of P. frondosa or of P. farinosa? (I have the John Richards book, Primula - could try to figure it out myself, I guess.)

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

It's P. frondosa

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Thanks, Todd. I've pulled out the book I mentioned to see what the differences are between P. frondosa and P. farinosa... and now I'm confused (not that that's an unusual state for me, however, with respect to primrose IDs!)
Richards states that they are very similar (with P. frondosa being more robust, more often multi-rosetted, leaves markedly crenate-toothed when mature, more rugose in texture, darker duller green) but that P. frondosa is "never mealy above". (The italics are his, not mine.) In your picture, P. frondosa does look mealy on the top side... hence my confusion... So, all you primrose experts out there, how mealy is "mealy"??

Edit: I just checked Pam Eveleigh's site (www.primulaworld.com) , and the photos there of P. frondosa look "mealy" to me too... so what am I missing?

Another point of confusion.... The plants I posted as P. polyneura were grown from seed from Gardens North many years ago. Now, I have no reason to doubt their identity, but for the life of me, when I try to key them out, I really can't convince myself that the leaf shape differs from P. cortusoides... Help!

This message was edited Jan 6, 2008 12:59 AM

This message was edited Jan 6, 2008 1:14 AM

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

I agree that your polyneura looks like cortusoides. Polyneura has fine but dense pubescence which gives the leaves a felt-like feel. Cortusoides is thinner textures with scattered longer hairs. Joseph Halda says that frondosa can be very mealy or lack it....its variable. Generally farinosae is rare in cultivation and short-lived. Frondosa is easy and long-lived. Here is a pic of polyneura.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Thanks for the info, Todd.
Ah, I love it! How are dabblers such as myself supposed to figure anything out when even the experts disagree (re. P. frondosa vs. P. farinosa), LOL!

Richards describes P. polyneura as "sparsely hairy to hairless above" but "usually thickly covered with whitish, or rarely reddish bristly or cottony hairs beneath, especially on the veins, but occasionally nearly hairless". Ackkk!

(Zone 5a)

P. polyneura is gorgeous however hairy or hairless it is ;-) lol

Here's P. waltonii - one of my favorites.

Thumbnail by rannveig
(Zone 5a)

P. cockburniana - the only candelebra type that's worth growing here.

Thumbnail by rannveig
Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

Love the bicolor effect of cockburniana.
And I see there is a yellow form listed in the NARGS seed exchange . . .

somewhere, PA

Definitely gonna be looking at the primrose options this year!
Thanks for gorgeous photo's Rann

(Zone 7a)

Great thread for inspiration & dreaming - thanks, All.

Tottori, Japan(Zone 9a)

All your primroses are very lovely! I feel like a kid in a candy store.
This is Primula sinensis and I took this photo today. It blooms from winter to spring and has beautiful leaves.

This message was edited Mar 15, 2008 12:21 PM

Thumbnail by goldenfish
Nelson, NH(Zone 5a)

That is a really unusually pretty plant goldenfish! I love all of these. This is a great thread to check in on.

somewhere, PA

We haven't seen you here in a while GoldenFish! That is a lovely
primrose. Are the leaves a bit redish at the edges?

(Zone 7a)

That's a very pretty shade of dusky rose on the buds, GoldenFish - especially lovely as it seems to be echoed on the leaf edges - is that illusion or do Tammy and I see what we think we see?

Tottori, Japan(Zone 9a)

flowerhead and Tammy and bluespiral,

Thank you for your message.
Yes, behind the leaf is maroon and the edge is reddish in color,too. The laciniate leaves have minut hair. The flower is simple but the leaf is attractive:)

Nelson, NH(Zone 5a)

Yes, flowers are beautiful, but there's nothing like some good foliage!

Seward, AK

One primula which comes up every spring in the corner of this Hypertufa Trough left out in the snow and weather on a table on my porch in Zone 3. Very Reliable, but I have no idea of what it is other than it came from Weezingreens.
Carol

Thumbnail by ceeadsalaskazone3
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

It's some sort of Primula auricula. I have a similar one.

Seward, AK

Thanks, Todd, that will fo far with Weezingreens to Exact species...
Carol

Nelson, NH(Zone 5a)

The leaves look like they are a succulent. Quite nice, O' Odd One! It must be pretty small to be in the trough, or is it a very large trough? I will snag that pic for dryad-everyone loves your hypertufa gardens and they want more on the webpage. Thanks for the info, Todd. I will definitely look that one up.

Seward, AK

hiFlower, trough is 2 feet by 1/2 feet by one foot, /soil depth about 6-7 inches

Nelson, NH(Zone 5a)

That is a pretty big one by trough standards, isn't it? I sent a bunch of your trough (and misc. planter) pics to dryad moments ago-hope they worked. Do you have a good moon view? It's looking cool!

Seward, AK

More pics later... Carol

Nelson, NH(Zone 5a)

Kay love, all good things in all good time

Tottori, Japan(Zone 9a)

P. sinensis which I posted on January 19 is now in full bloom.

This message was edited Mar 15, 2008 12:24 PM

Thumbnail by goldenfish
somewhere, PA

Oh its glorious! I can't tell - is it outside? Or in a
greenhouse?

Tottori, Japan(Zone 9a)

Tammy,

It is out side but the day of degree of frost, I took it in inside. I don't have
a greenhouse. lol

somewhere, PA

Its lovely. Well worth the effort.

(Zone 5a)

goldenfish - it's gorgeous :-)

Rann

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Beautiful! All mine are under feet of snow and we are expecting 2 feet of snow in tomorrows storm! Looks like a long winter and a very late spring for me!

Tottori, Japan(Zone 9a)

Thank you all!
Todd,
I'm just wishing spring would come soon in St. John's.

Thumbnail by goldenfish

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.