Where do you shop online?

North Augusta, ON

I'm borrowing this title from another thread. I've been searching for someplace to shop online but i find none of the good ones ship to Canada and if they do, the shipping charges are exorbitant!!

Where do you all shop online for anything?

Blyth, ON(Zone 5b)

I shop online at good Canadian companies (or at least they have a Canadian web presence).

Places I order plants from:
====================
Gardenimport
Canning Perennials
Pickering Nurseries
Botanus
Lilies in the Valley
And I'm going to try Ferncliff Gardens this year for the first time.

Places I order seeds from:
====================
Gardens North
Stokes Seeds
Thompson & Morgan Seeds (germination sometimes unreliable on their stuff, but they often have things no one else does)
Dominion Seed House
OSC Seeds
Richters Herbs (plants are really tiny - I only order their seeds)
William Dam Seeds

Happy shopping :-)

--Ginny

North Augusta, ON

Thanks Ginny!!

What about non gardening things?

Blyth, ON(Zone 5b)

You're welcome :-) For non-gardening things I shop online at:

Sears
Canadian Tire
Zellers/The Bay (HBC)
Lee Valley (gardening things here as well)
Costco
Northern Reflections
Staples Business Depot
Chapters

I think that's about it for the most part.

--Ginny

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Thanks. I'll have to check out Northern Reflections on-line though it's not difficult for me to get to a store.

Ann

Blyth, ON(Zone 5b)

Me neither. I'm only about 25 minutes away from two malls in Goderich that have Zellers, Northern Reflections, and Canadian Tire and we're in Goderich at least once a week. It's just easier for me to find time to shop online during my lunch hours at work :-)

--Ginny

Rosemont, ON(Zone 4a)

I started ordering clothes from catalogues while I was living in the States, and now that I'm back in Canada I still order from a few of the U.S. companies on-line, because I like the quality of their stuff:

L.L. Bean
Lands' End
Orvis

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

For cookware: Golda's Kitchen http://www.goldaskitchen.com/index.ihtml
For music or books: Amazon Canada http://www.amazon.ca/

Sandy

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Another good cookware place is Ashton Green - http://www.ashtongreen.com/index.dhtml

They are based in Ottawa; so I've never had them send me anything though I have ordered and picked it up. For those who are close to Ottawa, they are in an industrial park a bit south of the airport (off Leitrim Rd.) It's not a place I go often, but it's not a bad detour off the path between my house and my daughter's house. I HAVE ordered and had them send things to my Vancouver daughter.

Ann

Dundas,, ON(Zone 5b)

Another place I order seeds on-line is Terra Edibles.

Lots of heritage flowers and veggies. Small outfit, but great folks - all seeds come with 'instructions', which I really need.

~marilyn

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

I love Terra Edibles, particularly for their tomatoes.

Don't forget lilies on line too

http://www.lilynook.mb.ca

http://www.plantlilies.ca

inanda aka the other Ginny

Maple Ridge, BC(Zone 7b)

Veseys Seeds, Botanus,Dominion Seed, Hortico...havent had problems with any of them at all.

South of Winnipeg, MB(Zone 3a)

That's interesting. What have you ordered from Vesey's and Dominion. I've had repeated problems with both of those.

Welcome to Dave's Garden.

Maple Ridge, BC(Zone 7b)

Veseys, pretty much everything but roses and fruits/veggies from Veseys. I have ordered from butterfly bushes to tulip bulbs from them, and several orders over several years. No seeds though so cant offer an opinion on that. On Dominion Seed House i have mostly ordered bulbs . Again, i have dealt with them over the years and had no problem. Botanus is a semi- local entity and order yearly from them , mostly bulbs ,some plantlets. But again a local operation so everything arrives fresh for me. Hortico i have bought bare root roses from. Being bare - root i suppose they are naturally a lot angrier a plant to deal with after shipping naked ;) so come to expect that i will have a fight with them restoring them and getting them happily growing again. But for selection of roses unlike any you will find in a local garden center, you more or less deal with them or someone similar.
Cant really recall any problems with the lot of companies i mentioned. A new one i cant recommend yet but will let you know on is canning perenials. Good-great clematis selection so ordered a few exotics there, coming close to shipping time for this zone so will let u know results.

Vancouver, BC(Zone 8b)

Shop on line at Tricia's...and its a gardening forum here..just look it up. Im sorry, but dont know how to do this. I just ordered from there and had quick results. It was very fast and no shipping charges at all. I would highly recommend this site.

Sydney...aka...Cindy

Blyth, ON(Zone 5b)

Welcome SolarBear! You should be pleased with Canning Perennials. I almost always place an order with them every year, and I'm always extremely pleased both with the quality of their plants/bulbs and their customer service.

Like echoes I have had mixed results with Dominion. I find their seeds to be of good quality, but I'll probably never order another plant or bulb from them - very pricey for the unexpectedly small size, bulbs often the wrong cultivar once they flower, and sometimes plants just fail to grow at all.

I've had good luck with the quality of plants and bulbs I've received from Botanus, but find that they substitute far too often for my taste. This year when I received their new catalogue I also noticed that they seem to be shipping a lot more stuff either bare root or as plugs as well, and the prices seem to be rather high (to me, anyway) for the plugs.

I've never tried either Hortico or Vesey's.

(Zone 4a)

I have never ordered plants or seeds online - sad eh? Come to think of it - I don't order a whole lot online - I love to go out and shop.

Other places I have ordered online are...

Sears
Yves Rocher - love their shower gels
Future Shop

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Chapman iris
Snowpeak iris (in USA) and other iris growers,
Harborfreight
Clear Direct - (mainly didi7 cleaner) Thinnk that is the name
Bamboo World -in BC
Botanus
Thimble Farms and others on Salt Spring
Lots of book stores - usually found through ABE

inanda aka the other Ginny

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

These are my favs:
Seeds:
Casey's Heirloom Tomatos - you guessed it tomatos
Richters -Herbs
Annual Seed - Bow Seeds (Alberta Nurseries), Floribunda Seeds, Veseys, Lindenberg, Dominon
Bulbs/Tubers Corms: Botanus, Valey K Lilys (lilies), Ferncliff Gardens (dahlias), Veseys, Parkland Perennials, Lindenberg
Plants, Botanus, Floral and Hardy Gardens, Lindenberg

Dundas,, ON(Zone 5b)

In Ontario, Terra Edibles has great seeds, some certified organic and some not, but lots of interesting things. Lots of Heirloom and Heritage veggies.

http://www.terraedibles.ca/

Russell, ON(Zone 5a)

This family of gardeners have ordered from:

Daylilies: Artemis, Floral & Hardy, Culver Farm
Other perennials: Thimble Farms, Veseys, Botanus (good for bulbs)
Dahlias: Ferncliff
Hostas: Budd Gardens (in the past) recently Whitehouse Perennials

only if I can't find what I want locally and can see the plant blooming

Vancouver, BC(Zone 8b)

Heh Ginny

I didnt realize you were so close to Goderich...I just love it up there and would like to retire at some point in that area. I used to live in Guelph and drove up there all the time in the summers and spent lots of happy times there. The beaches there are outstanding. Now Im close to the ocean and thats wonderful as well, but still love that area. Im looking for some brugs...does anyone have any cuttings they could share. Im sorry I dont have anything to trade right now, as Im just starting out, but will be happy to pay the postage etc.

And Solarbear, where is this Botanus place located, as I live farely close to you and would to check it out
thanks and welcome!

Blyth, ON(Zone 5b)

I absolutely love this area too. I moved up here from London in the fall of 2004 with my DH and I've never looked back. Well, except for the commute back and forth to work in London each day :-) My time in BC left me with a life-long yearning for mountains. Given the fact that I loathe winter and snow and all that stuff it's as hilly as I'm ever going to find here in Ontario without immersing myself in northern Ontario winters.

Maple Ridge, BC(Zone 7b)

Hi Cindy , i dont have an actual physical address as i think they mail order, but they are out in Langley heres the " how to order link " with their phone #
http://www.botanus.com/spring_2008/how_to_order_08.html

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

I just cannot believe this thread. Sydney in Vancouver, you really want to retire in Ont.?????? Or is it because you like the cold, not the rain??? I lived in Vancouver years ago and didn't really notice the weather. Lived in Victoria fora few years and really noticed how much drier and brighter it was than Vancouver. Must say I really love the brightness of the winter prairie sun here best of all.
inanda the other Ginny

Blyth, ON(Zone 5b)

I hear you Ginny :-) If I had the opportunity to go back to Victoria there would have to be a very compelling reason to keep me here in Ontario. I don't know about the prairies though. I think it might be a little on the cold and snowy side for me in the winter. That's the part of living in Ontario that I don't like much.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

heh, heh, heh. After a week of GREAT warm weather everything thawed. Then. yesterday total chaos. Snow, snow pellets, sleet, you name it. Martagons near the house are 5-6inches tall, iris growing like crazy. Will have to see what the damage is like, when snow melts again. Not as bad as Alberta though.

Even the compost thawed so was busy putting it on lily beds. Now it is too cold. Don't want to go outside and do any work till it warms up again.

BTW, anybody going to NALS in Sidney in July?

the other Ginny

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Is that Tricia's Garden Store-N-More you were talking about sydney480?

Vancouver, BC(Zone 8b)

yes thats the store that I was referring too and it was very fast shipping. Ive planted everything, but dont know what the results are yet as its been such wacky weather here. I did lose some of the seedlings already, due to the weather, so doubt it was anything to do with the quality of the seeds.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I just purchased some seeds from that site, and the service was excellent! The seeds appear to be of good quality (from what my inexperienced self can tell lol). Almost all of the seeds I planted have germinated, and they are all looking good =D. I definitely give my recommendation on that store. The link is www.gardenstore-n-more.com for those who may not know it. Happy planting!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.