Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

It's time to check your stored tubers.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Good thought. I do it on the first of the month and some were too dry, some too damp and some Goldilocks - just right.

Aptos, CA

I am just barely diving mine!

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

checked mine and they look great!! All snug in their saran homes....I tossed my cannas on top of them in bags that weren't closed and checked those and they are nice and plump too!! Yahoo...I'm a happy camper!

Bettendorf, IA

Wish I could. DH threw them out!!!! UGH - don't ask. He did his penance and I am over it now but it wasn;t pretty.

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

pegzhere...OMG you crack me up...I hope he paid dearly for his transgression.. LOL

Last nite at supper my BF took one of my seed heads I was drying and tossed it at my 9 yr old saying OMG it's a spider...it freaked her out so bad that had I been recording it I know we would win the 10 grand on America's funniest videos....he too paid the piper to my 9 yr old...I can see it now...years later on a psychiatrist couch she will be telling the tale of when she was traumatized for life by her future step dad...

Nipomo, CA(Zone 8a)

I was wondering when I needed to check them. So if I check them, what am I checking them for? I have them stored in perlite in a huge ice chest, stored in the carport.
I am still trying to figure out where I want to put them. They weren't so happy where they were last year. I am not sure if it was the location or that I didn't pay them enough attention. I know my roses have been really deprived of attention and they are showing it that is for sure. I hate it when life gets in the way of doing the things I want to do. :)

You don't want them shriveled from a lack of moisture or soggy from too much water: Goldilocks tubers is what you want - "just right". Firm but not moldy.

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

Have any of you tried to grow Dahlias in the winter in the greenhouse? I was curious if Dahlias needed a break or I could just keep them going? (they were given a two month break when I put them up in November)

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

My understanding is that dahlias need their dormant period to perform the best. 2-3 months in their native conditions. Mine naturally "wake up" after that time if I don't have them stored in cool enough tempuratures.

Mine aren't in a cool enough spot either and as I passed them in the basement a few days ago I saw one has definitely sprouted. It's about a foot tall. I'll have to inspect them all tonight.

I dashed upstairs to check mine...I thought oh noooooo. But they were all fine. It is cold and dark in the room and I think they are all asleep.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

HI Dahlianut - Welcome to DG, good to see you here.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Thanks bigcityal. Looks like a fun, informative group.

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

I see a problem coming up -- if mine sprout in the Saran Warp, and we all know they will, there is no place for the sprout to go - what happens to them then?

Suzy

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Keep them in the dark and cool temps Susie and they will be fine. When you spring them loose from their plastic wrap tethers, sprouts and all, they will acclimate and do just fine. If any developed sprouts break off, try to root them! The eye will produce another, or several, new shoots.

Bernie Mandella, who aided in inventing this method of storage, dug, cleaned, wrapped, and packed tubers all in one day. Come spring, he unwrapped and planted all in one day. He was in PA, not too different from IL climate, I don't think. His motto was the less fuss, the better and was quite disparaging of those ( of us, LOL) who fussed over "curing" and drying, and wooing and cooing over our beloved dahlias.

I think you'll find they will be just fine. I've had 3 inch sprouts come out of the wrapped tubers, all pale and encased in Glad Wrap. Given some fresh air and light, they were on their way to becoming plants in days.

I've found the same thing though I don't use Saran Wrap. Regardless of how pale those sprouts are they get green very fast.

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Okay, well I checked mytubers and no condensation, but I didn't unwrap them...they didn't feel like they were drying out, so maybe I got the hang of it. We still have 2 more months, minimum before I pull them out, but I suspect having them in the ground until mid November (instead of mid October) was very helpful.

Suzy

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

I couldn't take it anymore so I cheated and put them in the greenhouse 5 of my 8 are growing thus far.....with about 4" of leaf foliage...spring comes earlier down here...at least that's how I keep justifying it to myself LOL!

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Whew! I am so jealous of you South Carolinians! Hope you have a camera cause you'll be blooming in May at this rate. Way to go.

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

Pooch - that is the month I was aiming for too! We have the southern appalacian round up May 3rd and part of my trades are Dahlias and I was hoping they would be budding by then so their recipients would have some instant pretty :)~

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I'm "waking" mine up this weekend. Moving to room tempurature and then potting up in my "dahlia op" under lights indoors. I will move them to the heated greenhouse early March depending how sunny it is. I'M SO EXCITED!!!! WHOO HOO!!!

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

dahlianut - I hope they wake up happy and not grumpy LOL good luck with them!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Thanks rdnyr. I'm waking them up earlier than usual this year as I'm doing a work shop in two weeks and I want some examples that show distinct eyes and sprouts and also to demonstrate dividing tubers. My old faithful "Mystery Day" will be the main guinea pig as it is has always done well no matter what "oops" I do to its tubers LOL.

Triad(for a few more, NC(Zone 7a)

Hi, New to Dahlias and am scared to death about the storage thing. Is it as intimidating to raise dahlias year after year as it seems to be? I just bought a lot of them and will be making a new bed just for them.

Grannymarsh, My husband is from Marquette and his family still lives there. We are in NC ,where it is warm! :)

Hope to meet and chat with lots of you.

Susan in NC

Welcome Susan. There are a few ways to hold them over winter but I've known people in NC who just leave them in the ground and only lift to divide them every two or three years.

Really? WOW, that would be wonderful. But I want to be sure, I just bought a lot of them.

I just read the saran wrap article on ADS site. I also did not know you had to wash them, dip them in sulpher and vermiculate mixture ? I am going to spend some time reading more of the articles on the ADS site and hoep to learn more. This is more scary than I thought :(

Thank you

I wrap mine in saran wrap and have for several years. I wash them, let them dry, cut them and wrap them mostly all in one day. It takes me several day to do them, but I dig a few and them do the wrap thing.

I have had spectacular luck in the saran storage. I never have dipped mine in anything.

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

Golly Susan, it's warm here today. 14 degrees at noon.

Say hey to da husbun from da UP, eh ? Terve ! Terve !!

Fussing about storing tubers is more prevalent the further North (or in Yooper: da 'Nort) one goes. We have to do something all Winter.

Plant your tubers and worry about storage later.

Marsh

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Hi Susan - welcome to the dahlia forum.

Al

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

Hi Al;

Welcome to the dahlia forum.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

;)~ to you Granny!

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

Is that a raspberry??

There's a bodacious here with your name on it.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

The "eyes" have it this year. LOL mine seem to be all "tuberlifik" and the new ones haven't arrived yet. I'll be spreading the dahlialuv around town this year.

Bettendorf, IA

SUsan

Last year was my first year with dahlias - it was great!! I need ot work out placement and supports a bit but I will do it again. Of course keeping them over the winter wasn't an issue as my husband threw them out..... Thankfully I will hope for on another fantastiuc dahlia co-op or 2 to participate in inthe future!!!

Hello Everyone,

Granny I loved your posts. LOLOLOL!

Thank you Al for the welcome.

Peg, you are kidding, right? He didn't really throw them away did he? Is he still alive or is he in the compost pile?

I was on another site, who's name I will withhold (GW) and someone there posted a note asking for a Dahlia Buddy, I would love to ask for that. Someone who will be my mentor and walk me through this process from Spring to Winter. Any volunteers?

If there are any NC dahlia growers on here I would love to get some local tips, Pirl said there were some NC folks that leave their tubers in the ground. And what is all this stuff about NOT mulching? Then I read where some people mulched and theirs did fine?
I am so confused

HELP!!!

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I'm already Marsha's dahlia buddy though...

There were a few NCer's here - Heavenscape comes to mind as one.

Bettendorf, IA

No - he really did. Things were a bit "cool" for awhile LOL. He is buying me new ones this year though - doesn't have to come from my mad money budget :D Of course that works better for me because I didn't want to save them all last year. I didn't love all my choices but forgot to separate and label them after I dug so I had NO clue which was which.

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

Peg - AHA, another devious mind. Welcome, welcome, welcome. I would certainly mourn my DH if something similar occured here.
Al is such a sweet talker.

My tubers are all looking good now. I did have to "re do" some of them last month.

Bettendorf, IA

They were beautiful when I dug them up, though. I hadn't planned on trying to keep them since I got them for such a good price but then when I saw how much they grew I was going to give it a try....

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.