(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I checked mine this morning and three are going to the compost - hollowed out. Others are doing great. I'll start giving them the light treatment when all the lights are plugged in.

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

Here's one of the dahlias two weeks ago...I'll have to take a new pic because they sure were liking the warm sun outside this week (just during the day) I think they grew another 5" LOL

Thumbnail by rednyr
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Holycow! That is a sight for sore eyes! Two weeks ago? Looks like something I'll see in the garden about June 30th or so. We should place bets on when those babies bloom, rednyr. My guess is June 3rd.

I just tossed about another 20 rotters. Those in vermiculite are doing as well as the Saran ones. Press and Seal ones are good too, by and large.

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

I hope you are right...that would be a very cool and surreal thing to have happen...

Nipomo, CA(Zone 8a)

Finally dh got the huge ice chest filled with perlite and tubers. Any ideas what I should do with all that white stuff when I am done fishing all the tubers out. There is a lot of it. The ice chest is 100 quarts and it is full to the top. I have hard clay like soil. Would I want to put it in the soil, maybe my compost?
I will be heading to Costco tomarrow to pick up ziplocks to finally get my tubers going! YEA! I am so jealous of rednyr, look at that lovely plant already. Mine are still sleeping!
~Dayna

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

Dayna...if it were me I would def. add it to the soil or compost...or save it for next year... :o)

Westford, MA(Zone 5b)

I checked mine just this past weekend and some appear shriveled. I spritzed them but I don't know if they are worth saving. They appear to be half shriveled and half firm. I am disappointed because last year I saved the tubers and they did fine without any effort. This year the only thing I can think is that we had cooler winter temperatures in the storage area. Does anyone have any advice on how to decide if I should toss them or plant them up? Any photos on what is good/bad? These were some interesting old varieties from Old House Gardens so I was hoping they'd make it for this year's garden.

Thanks!

On some dahlia thread, somewhere, the same question was posted and a suggestion was made to pot them up with damp planting medium and hope for the best. Heat and light should wake them up if they're viable. Good luck.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I don't have any photos, but I think once the dried wrinkles are half of the diameter they aren't very good. But... if you really want them then certainly start them up - you'll know before they are ready to be planted if they are goners.

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

I have some sprouting, but the sprouts are so small -- thin in diameter. It doesn't seem likely they will be able to hold up a whole plant.

My storage method was to wrap 2x around with Saran Wrap and use the darn sulphur. I put them in open baskets and just put them in the coolest part of the basement. They did fine, although the temps down there are like 60 -65 degrees, not 45. They are slower to wake up, though.

Just reporting in.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Thanks Suzy in the field ;)
I know what you mean about the thin sprouts though - some tubers will rot or die by the time they go outside and you are basically left with about the same as a cutting would have been, but they live fine.

I will be getting all mine out this weekend - yeay!

Triad(for a few more, NC(Zone 7a)

Hi All,

Well after some computer issues I am finally back online after being away a week!

I put all my dahlia tubers in pots and quite a few of them have started coming up. I am so excited! I plan on digging my new bed out this week if it ever stops raining long enough here. Is it safe after April 15th to put the ones that have leaves in the ground or should I wait longer? I also have Liatris that is doing great too in pots and I thought I would add them to the Dahlia garden for some variety and additional color. This will be my first year growing both of these plants.

Susan

The ground should be warm before you plant the dahlias and they'll hate soggy soil. They could easily rot. Generally it's safe to plant them when you plant your tomatoes outside. Both want warm soil.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

I am in the throes of my second least favorite dahlia time: unpacking and sorting. It is great fun to see who survived and woeful to grieve the loss of 5 at a time of a favorite variety.

So far, I have to say those stored in vermiculite in bags are doing the best, Saran wrap is second best and Press and Seal wrap is a real pain to undo, but pretty effective. Aluminum foil also worked well on the varieties that went into that. I had more bad luck storing clumps than single tubers, but sometimes that can't be avoided on a gnarly little customer.

Some varieties are just exceptional keepers which I attribute to good genes. Some are lowdown skunks I'll have to re-purchase annually if I want to keep them. "Cherrio" to name names :>)

I'm looking forward to planting in about 5 weeks when it hopefully quits snowing and raining.

Hooks, TX

grannymarsh,
My tubers that you sent are out of storage now and only one was lost - a Zippity-Do-Dah. Most of them have sprouts already. We have had way too much rain for the last month to put them in the ground now. I'm in the process of starting them in pots for a head start on going in the beds. For storage, I bought a foam ice chest at Walmart and used shredded paper to cushion the tubers. I taped it shut and was excited to find them in wonderful shape this week when I examined them.

Thanks so much for being a generous DGer. I hope to grow blooms like I see on this forum.

Louise

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

I have a lot of tubers, but no sprouts.

Obviously I did something wrong with my Samurai knife. LOL! Dahlias as annuals, no problem.

Suzy

Dahlias as annuals is a wonderful thought.

Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

Pirl, I love Dahlias but at my age they are too much work so I treat them as annuals, for one thing I do not have a field of them just a few here and there

It's the ones I love best that I'd like to keep from year to year. Right now I have many (34 bags) downstairs, under lights and on a heating cable. It always feels like too much work.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Got all mine out today. My first year with vermiculite - I was happy with it - I think I can tweak it just a bit.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

About 10% didn't make it, mostly thin ones towards the top. Always a little mystifying when you have a rotten one next to one that dried out fully.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I've never bothered to dig them up--I'm an apartment dweller and just don't have the cool spot needed to hibernate them:)

Could someone provide a link or basic info on the Saran Wrap method? I hadn't heard of that one.

I only have one dahlia currently (Roodkapje-Red Riding Hood) but have made a couple of purchases. I had a taller type with large flowers that lasted late in to fall but found it too floppy and sprawling for my tastes. I had it in the ground about 3 years without lifting. I think the residual heat in the brick of my townhome and the sidewalk/parking area are keeping them from freezing when overwintered.

Donna

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

HOLY COW big al.....where in the world do you plant all of those???? That is one huge bunch of tubers!!

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I'll only have about 85 here I think. I keep some as backups and the rest are placed to new homes.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Nice tuber collection Al. Like a big box of chocolates. The thin- necked ones tended to rot or break here too, along with plenty of others.

Dmac here's a link, scroll down to see the article and blue link to the Saran Wrap method.
http://www.dahlias.net/seabox/savem.htm
When you say "floppy and sprawly" it reminds me of the first dahlias I grew, thinking they were the most awful gangly plant ever, even if they did have nice flowers. So I have to ask, did you stake and tie, or otherwise support the large dahlia to keep it upright and from sprawling?

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

Thank you for the link:)

The one I'm talking about was a last minute, got it on sale (.02 cents) before the store threw it away deal and I had never grown them before. I was computer free and just randomly planting stuff so I just plopped it in and watered when needed.

After everything else had bloomed out in late summer the dahlia made its appearance and I assumed it would hit a stopping point growthwise and stay put. I came in with stakes and supports too late and didn't have alot of success trying to keep it upright once it had gotten tall and long.

I plan to try again and have supports in place before needed so I can get it to go where I want it to. It was my fault, just another uninformed gardener:lol:

dmac - I think we've all made the mistake of not staking a dahlia. Now I listen to the pro's and place the stakes before I cover the dahlia with soil.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

Yeah, and I also check the height listed too. I tend to seed the pretty bloom and not consider the ultimate size of the whole plant:lol:

Last year I received some Dahlia seeds from someone with no way of knowing how big they'd get. Thinking they must be border dahlias I planted them near a path and also at the front of my favorite bed. They were all 4' and taller - disaster. Now I'd put anything I'm not sure of anyplace but at the front of that border.

West Caldwell, NJ(Zone 6b)

Heh, I've had it with guesstimates on dahlia height, I found a great deal from A M Leonard on 8 ft metal stakes, bought enough for all my dahlias this year. They were foolish enough to offer me free shipping for a promotion, I bet they hate me now! :)

I remember one you had, maybe Blackberry (something), and you had to get on a ladder to take the photo!

You are all scaring me! Remember you have a dahlia newbie here reading this thread. I forgot to check sizes when I picked out the ones I liked, most of mine are going to be 4-5 ft tall.

Susan

That's good, Susan. I really do like either the short border ones (no staking) or the big show offs.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Oh yah, the old 4-5 ft tall line.... Here is Karma Sangria 2 years ago next to the 6 ft step ladder. "Height 36 inches." I gave it extra fertilizer and figure it stopped at around 8'. It also had less than full sun so that can make them grow taller.

Don't worry, Susan, there are always exceptions that show themselves during the season, but in general they will be about the height stated on the label, or online info. It's fun to see what will happen. I only dislike it when one gigantic dahlia grows and shades out other favorites behind it.

Tod, way to score on the free shipping, on stakes yet! You might win the imaginary "shopper of the year" award for pulling that off.

Pirl, bummer on the ht of your seeded dahlias in front of your favorite bed. It seems no matter how carefully I plan, there is always one or two strays that will grow too tall where I put them.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I liked Karma Sangria - mine was 36"!

The plan is to put the tall ones in the back against a garden fence, if I have straglers in front of shorter ones, they just get lopped off and brought in the house for our viewing pleasure. :)

That's my plan, too. We'll see what happens.

Isn't it exciting! I can't wait to get them in the garden. It has been cloudy dreary and rainy here in NC for over a week now! I am going crazy! If I don't see some sun soon I am going to dig a tunnel underground and just move in since I feel like troll anyway.

We all seem to be getting desperate.

Hey that would make great steamy new TV show, "Desperate Gardeners"

I can see it now, all of us in dirty but sexy clothes, scheming and plotting to steal each others plants instead of husbands! LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.