Yulaha and Yulee, Anyone?

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

Oh but I will. LOL

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Brinda,

What a gorgeous pool area!!! Wow....I can't wait for summer to really plant mine with bunches of coleus!! I have ornamental cabbages there now and love them!

All:
I just got a personal email from the owner of the Plumeria Gallery in Naples, FLA (and I will visit her soon, as DH and I go to Naples every spring or summer!) and she said the Yalaha (that's how SHE spelled it...now I"m confused!) are going quickly.--EVERY order is for at least one of that type.

I posted a question to her about the color not being the same and am waiting for her answer. She seems VERY friendly and helpful!!

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

Hey Connie I emailed and asked the same question. Hopefully one of us will hear back from her very soon. Unfortunately I can't have anything shipped right now anyway due to the cold so I may be SOL anyway. :(

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Lala...she told me I could buy and request shipping whenever I wanted. She said many people do this, and the same plants that we buy will just be growing larger. Hmmmmm

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to cave on this one. Boy that picture is a beauty.

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

LOL Lala! I'm trying to restrain myself right now!

Thanks for the compliment Connie! We love coleus as they are always colorful. And they all seem to really do well whether in the ground or in pots. Please make sure you keep us updated with pics!!!

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

The Yalaha does have some deep purple in the edges of the leaves. Ray's picture looks like dipt n wine to me.
Their picture of hot pink and curly is way off as this plant is hot pink and curly.
Religious Radish is way off too.
Micanopy is Watermelon, and also Lavender lace. They are all the same plant.
I am going to call tomorrow and get one of each. I can then better see what they really are.
;)

Newport News, VA(Zone 11)

LOL! Any ole excuse huh Sydney. HA HA

North Brunswick, NJ

Sugarweed et al. -

In my experience, 'Yalaha' looks very much like 'Dipt in Wine' (which is the same as 'Kona Red', according to its introducer). I haven't yet satisfactorily figured out the differences.

I'm assuming I grew 'Yalaha' last year, of course, and that the nursery didn't unknowingly substitute 'Dipt/Kona' for 'Yalaha'.

These coleus do keep us on our toes.

Ray

Stockholm, Sweden

Ray,
nice to see you!

Yalaha has more crinkled leaves than the others you mention, else they're more or less the same. The nice blue color on the photo (top of the page here) must be some kind of digital photo error. I have Yalaha myself and it' has no blue color, it has colors of green, red and deep purple.
Alice

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Okay...I'm going to the web site now to order one of each also...to be shipped in late March.

Nice to see all of you. I am truly a scientist with a task at hand.
Sidney

Dr. Sydney,
The Coleus community awaits your scientific findings with baited breath :-)

Bartow, FL(Zone 9a)

I've been reading this with much interest, because a large part of my collection didn't make it through our unusually cold snap down in the 30's. It was all I could do to save a few favorites along with the orchids and anthuriums. Sugarweed, I hope you will remember me when you find some good, reasonable sources. Audrey

Audrey,
You are at the top of my list. Along with Alice, of course. LOL
The place above is in Naples. Is that close to you?
;)

Stockholm, Sweden

Sidney, my coleus and I love you. We really do! All the bleak, weak and headhanging overwintering coleus here can't wait to get new, fresh siblings to play with!
LOL!

LOL, mine are all so 'Homeless' looking
;)

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

I'm just curious about Zone 9 and coleus. Mine get SO HUGE by the end of summer....do you cut them back in the fall, or do you just have a growing season all year long for these?

Connie some do manage with the help of a few nights covered with bed sheets.
I do take cuttings in the fall and root those in new potting soil. Many of them stay outside in an area where they get some protection.
A few even send out new leaves and those form shoots that you can then root.
Hope that helps.
Sidney

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

It does. I just had a little studio built, and it has a bay window with lots of afternoon light. I will probably use it as a tiny greenhouse for saving cuttings, etc. Do you just cut, put in root stim, and then into new potting soil? Any secrets?

Bartow, FL(Zone 9a)

Sorry, Sugar, Naples is about as far as Jacksonville in the opposite direction. I'll see if my son is going near there on business any time soon. Hugs, Audry

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

I'm wondering if the woman in Naples just sells from her house? My DH and I either do spring or summer every year in Naples for about a week, and I thought I had visited almost every nursery in the area.

Connie, here is a great thread for taking cuttings;
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/596774/#top
;)

Danville, IN

Are any of you coleus lovers familiar with glasshouseworks.com ? They certainly have a large assortment of coleus, and are responsible for developing many of the outstanding hybrids under the lable "Stained Glass Works".

Bluthepfa shewwwwwwwww/ Spewed coffee everywhere.
Hoosier, please check their rating in the Garden Watchdog.
You have to get your order in early, although not so I recon in a state close by. They take your money the day you order. They don't send the little puny plants until you beg 3 months later.
Then when Tom couldn't convince me it was my fault he acted like I was Corilla De Ville. He has 35 negative reviews and thats after he does everything he can to keep your money. Here's the link; http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/154/

Now as to the plants mentioned above, Yalaha, aka Dancing Ruffles, Yulee, and the other Plumeria Gallery selections. Manicopia is aka Watermelon, and Yulee is Duckfoot or is it Kiwi?
I talked to Marlena for about 20 minutes. Gave her all the help I could.
These 4" pots are newly planted plugs that have been treated with a retardent(?) She primarily grows Plumerias, but wants to do several
varieties of coleus.
I think I'll get a starter order and see from there.
Sidney

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

LOL Sidney, I've been waiting for you!!!!

Thanks for the info Sydney! Its so nice to have our own Coleus watchdog ! I'm eagerly awaiting my order.

Hoosiergreen--you've been forewarned. I dont hink anyone here has had a good experience with that company. Have you looked at RosyDawn.com?

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

OMG I just looked at PART of that on the WatchDog! What on earth does this guy do to get people to recant???

He sends you out a huge order and calls you apologizing till you give in. He's really not a bad guy just needs a good manager and maybe more reliable help.

Danville, IN

Wow! Thanks for the heads-up warning. They were written up in a major hort magazine a while back, and they sounded just great. Guess I'll pass on ordering from them, although it sounds like a visit might be interesting, when I can choose plants and take them with me!

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Hoosier, I think the visit would be the smartest thing. Many of us got caught up in the a couple years ago and it was so frustrating! I still have a credit with them from 2006 but I probably will never use it. Not even worth the hassle.

I was just sitting back .... tapping my foot and waiting for Sidney to see your post! LOL Sidney, did you get the coffe cleaned up?

Anderson, SC(Zone 7b)

Hi All! I'm new to this forum and have to tell you I ordered Yalaha, Yulee, & Mariposa today before I even came here. I stumbled over her site in the classifieds and couldn't resist those beautiful plants. Has anyone else ordered & received theirs yet?

I also just stumbled into coleus last summer. Don't usually like plants that just sport foilage, but I've fallen in love with so many coleus' that I better be careful. I brought 4 I bought last summer in for the winter and they're so large I figured I'd better come in here & figure out how to manage them - and found the perfect thread for that right here in this thread!!

SCNewbie welcome.
We are always happy to find new addicties. I bet you could get 2 dozen cuttings off of each of those in the house. That thread mentioned above is great for cuttings.
Let us know how your plants look folks.
Sidney

Anderson, SC(Zone 7b)

Thanks! :)) I put the link to that cuttings thread in my top links so I can sit down in the next couple of days outside & get these puppies trimmed. If it works, maybe I'll have some plants to trade. I also started some seeds for a couple more varieties.

I was looking at the pics that so many of you have posted of your coleus collections, and now I'm even more excited!! lol

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

SCNewbie...did you specify a certain delivery date or just order? When I talked to the owner she said if we specify, she will just keep them (kinda "roped off", I guess) and let 'em grow until we asked her to ship. I need to hurry and do my order before she runs out!! I will this weekend....

Anderson, SC(Zone 7b)

Oh, thanks for that info. No, I didn't talk to anyone, just ordered.

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Well hey... I'm a newbie to this forum... and fell in love with that pic of Yalaha and ordered promptly.
I wouldn't have ordered the plant if it looks like the one at Lake Brantley's pic! I'm a little disenchanted here.. LOL

Oh well..

Further reserch on these names;

Quoting:
Micanope" after the Seminole Indian chief (Left ca., 1785- 1847) head chief of the Seminoles in the Seminole War; Micanopy means "head chief." The name officially changed to "Micanopy" in 1834.

This is also known as Lavender Lace and Watermelon.
If I'm wrong please don't hesitate to tell me.
That said, it's time to call in my order.
Sidney

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

Ugh. I've already got mine ordered and I already have Lavender Lace. Oh well, I guess I now have two.

Hiya ZZ!

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

I'm still jazzed... I have a new addiction that won't take as much room as the brugs! :)

Hey Lala!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.