Yulaha and Yulee, Anyone?

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

It will be fun for those of us who ordered the Yalaha to get it, grow it in our various horti-cultures, and see what each soil, light, water, combination produces! The owner assured me that there are THREE distinct colors to this one...not the TWO that some people said they had from "last year's" version (which she said didn't exist). Hey...I'm VERY much a newbie to coleus, so I'm only repeating what I was told!

So...Yalaha and Yulee guys....grow your babies and post pics here as they grow??

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Good Morning everyone, I'll be excited to see how they all grow and look. I am amazed at the difference in coleus in different places and zones. You will all have so much fun.

Connie, I'm not sure what she meant by 'last years version' LOL And I sure hope you all get that spectacular purple in the pic. Here are a couple pics from the trail gardens for Florida City Yalaha....

http://hort.ifas.ufl.edu/floriculture/trialgardens/2006spring/htm/A14.htm

http://trialgarden.ifas.ufl.edu/htm/O17.htm

Also, it looks like this place has taken some old coleus and put new names on them. http://www.hmaplants.com/plants.cfm?Genus=Coleus
Sidney, wasn't Chululota one of Chris'? I loved that coleus last year!

SC & ZZ... welcome to a new obsession! You are really gonna have a blast!!! ZZ, you need to twist Kell's arm and make her share with you. Don't you live close enough to her that you could raid her garden?

Anderson, SC(Zone 7b)

Thanks, Brinda! :)) Just what I needed..... another obsession. :( lol

I'll be sure to post pics of my Yalaha when I get it.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Cool...this can be our "play date" place for our new babies!

We're having great weather here in Austin...today it will get up to the high 70's and SUNSHINE!!! I'm dying to get outside but my bedroom needs to be cleaned first....boo.....

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Connie - thanks for this thread. I ordered from the DG Classified ads, too, and had very good communication with the seller. She offered to send them with a heat pack so we'll see how they travel and how they are when they arrive. The photos were way too tempting not to order.

Thanks for the links, Brinda! I did a fast check for the ones I bought from Plumeria and feel so relieved that the plants seem to be the same as her photos.

We should have another thread showing pictures as we receive them and then throughout the year to see how they perform for all of us.

I, too, take cuttings and overwinter them. Some don't make it but that's right from the start so it's not like I killed them. I think some just don't take to cuttings quite as easily as others. We also grow two types from Park's seed company.

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Pirl, so glad we all have a new source for coleus. I tried to help Marlene, aka Plumeria Gallery with some problems she was experiencin with her new crop of coleus.
I am so tickled to have someone down there to supply us addictees with our plants. I'll do all I can to help her including ordering. She's planning on getting 40 more varieties of coleus.
Brinda, Tigerlily has gotten on my case more than once for registering Dancing Ruffles here before I knew someone had actually named it Yalaha.
She wants to know when a client orders a mass of a certain coleus that it's what they really want.
And here from frivolus students or professors just name them anything.
I bet they have never seen Coleus Finder.
;)

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Brinda, I didn't know Kell had Coleus.. It figures! LOL She is the one who taught me most of what I learned about Brugs.. I have never been to her place, but now that I have a pickup... LOL

I got the Coleus bug bad.. I've always liked them, but didn't know where to get any besides the seeds... I'm really jazzed.. At the moment.. I don't even have one... So this is gonna really be fun! I have a RDG order or two and can't wait till they get here!

ZZ,
With Brugs came coleus and impatients for me.
I needed something to underplant them with.
If I get my memory back I have a beautiful picture with a deep yellow brug surounded by Defiance. Just beautiful in Bloom.
Sidney

Stockholm, Sweden

Sidney,
do you still have the beautiful Blackberry Waffle? I had to bury the last dark remains of mine today. I'm grieving.
Alice

No, but it's very available in a few months.
;)

Stockholm, Sweden

Good to hear, grieving is over then.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

I just went to the Plumeria Gallery website again and Marlene has the "new" (?) coleus for 2008 at 3 for $10, your choice.
I ordered one each of the Yulee, Yalaha, and Religious Radish, which sounds a bit sacrilegious, but....oh well! :-)

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Has anyone who ordered from Plumeria Gallery gotten their order yet? She asked if I wanted it shipped now.. I responded to go ahead and ship.. No response to my emails since my order.. I'm getting a little concerned.

Newport News, VA(Zone 11)

I spoke to her Saturday and she responded to two of my emails and said the shipment goes out Tuesday ( yesterday). I'm sure you'll get something soon. I'll let you know when mine arrives.

Anderson, SC(Zone 7b)

I haven't heard anything at all, either, and I sent her an email with my 3 choices right after I paid for the order - 10 days ago? Not real happy with that....

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

I got a shipping notice today.

I hate to give a bad review... but the communication was really not good.. I know it's hard to keep up.. but anything would have been better than nothing... I tend to worry too much...

This is Marlene's first go at coleus. I think she has good intensions.
;)

Newport News, VA(Zone 11)

I agree Sydney. Give her a minute.

Anderson, SC(Zone 7b)

ZZ, when did you order yours? I just checked, and I ordered mine 13 days ago.

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

I ordered on the 8th... but I have nothing bad to say.. I got a shipping notice yesterday. If it's her first attempt with selling.. I totally understand.. Like I said.. I worry too much! :)

It's probably a good thing.. if she got that overwhelmed.. that must mean she got swamped..

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I ordered as soon as her ad was posted in Classified Ads and I did ask her how the response was since I'm considering selling Japanese irises in August - September. She said she was pleasantly surprised and had 8 or 9 orders already.

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

I got my order today! Nothing like the pic in this thread, but they are healthy, good sized and weathered the trip well.

I'm worried she will go broke with the elaborate packaging she did though! :) She cares about her plants, that shows!

Anderson, SC(Zone 7b)

Hmmmm.... still nothing. I'll give her a call on Monday. Glad to hear she's packing well!!

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

What about pics, ZZ.... did you take any?

South Venice, FL(Zone 9b)

Ooooh, I'm hoping for pics too ZZ!
I also ordered some of the new 2008 coleus from Naples after getting hooked on a few at the local nursery. I can see how this could become another full time addiction!
I've been browsing through this forum and the pictures are just divine!
I memorized Tigerlily's great cutting thread and plan on trying a few this weekend. This one will be the guinea pig.
Cathy

Thumbnail by svplantingfool
Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Okay.. here it is.. I was trying to be nice to her!

I didn't get the 2 for 1 as offered in her ad for mentioning DG.. but that's okay.

Here is what I got today.

edited to add.. I am happy with what I got... for the price, I am okay.

This message was edited Feb 22, 2008 3:55 PM

Thumbnail by ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Wow Cathy! That one is beautiful.. I love it!! Which one is THAT?

Oh noooo, here we go again! LOL

Stockholm, Sweden

Cathy,
is this a new coleus really called "Guinea Pig"? It's gorgeous! Where can I buy one?
Thanks,
Alice

ZZ, I think your new babies have great potential! The one in the upper left corner has beautiful ruby red upper leaves. I'm hoping mine will arrive next week.

I don't know which one this is! I thought I had picked up 4 pots with the name sticks in them, but this one didn't have one. I went back to the nursery last Sunday, hoping to find another with a tag I could swipe, or at least write down, but they didn't have many coleus left. I'll try back again this Sunday morning. Here's a little clearer picture.

Hopefully, the cutting process will go well and I can share some of this one, and the other 3 (Blackberry Waffle, Pineapplette, and Red Pineapplette). They seem to be growing really well and I hope I picked spots that will give them some afternoon shade in the heat of the summer. Fingers crossed!
Cathy

Thumbnail by svplantingfool
Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Cathy, that looks a lot like Roaring Fire. Here is a pic of mine back in September. This one was in full sun and I really think it's much prettier with a bit of shade. The colors are much prettier in shade to me...

Thumbnail by Brinda
Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Cathy, you wouldn't happen to have those in 'my corner' would ya?! LOL

Tammy, you crack me up! OK, once I become adept at doing coleus cuttings, I'll add some of those too. Here's a :o) for you!

Brinda, I think you may be right! This one gets a couple hours of sun, then bright light for the rest of the day. It has a real nice buttery golden yellow color on the edges that I really like.

I'll check again this Sunday to try and verify the name of it.
Cathy

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Hey, would you believe I had actually forgotten about it!!! Then I thought, WOW, what a beautiful Coleus she has! Then it dawned on me! HA HA HA I feel ashamed, so ashamed! LOL

Anderson, SC(Zone 7b)

Brinda, I didn't find your Roaring Fire in the Plant Files. It's beautiful!! Gonna trade any cuttings?

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Hi Cindy! How are you???

Sadly, my Roaring Fire is long gone. But I did ship cuttings off to many people last year in hopes that they might have good luck with them and send me one back. Maybe we'll get lucky and I can send you some. X your fingers & toes! LOL

I'm not positive but I think Roaring Fire is a Baker's Acres original. Sidney would know for sure about that. She was kind enough to send it to me last year from Baker's Acres!

Thumbnail by Brinda
Anderson, SC(Zone 7b)

Ohhh, bumper, dudette! lol If you manage to come by any cuttings, keep me in mind, ok. ;)

I just went thru all the coleus files with pics and picked many that I want. lol I'll have some cuttings to trade in another month or so, I think.

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

I found more than I wanted to find!

The plant I got was more like rrog2001's than the pic above.

I also found this
http://www.dupontnursery.com/ProductCategory.aspx?pcid=%2011

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Do y'all think that --in addition to light, which we all know about--perhaps the color of coleus differs according to soil, like acid or alkaline? Has anyone done that experiment? I know that hydangeas (sp?) react like that....

ZZ that is the nursery Marlene ordered her starts from. Yours look very good. Packing is everything when it comes to shipping coleus.
I packed about 350 last year.
I retired after that. Now I only unpack coleus.
Sidney

"Now I only unpack coleus"
Sugarweed, that's the way to do it! I like your way of thinking!

ZZ & Brinda, I looked through the Dupont site and thought maybe my unIDed coleus might be Florida Sun Rose. They also have the Pineapplette and the Red Pineapple, so that's probably where these guys originated.
Cathy

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.