Yulaha and Yulee, Anyone?

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Connie - see: http://www.glasshouseworks.com/trop-c2.html
and scroll down to Dark Secret. They show the coleus in summer, fall and winter and the differences are quite dramatic.

Good one, Sidney!

Anderson, SC(Zone 7b)

Now that's a nice way to show them!! And I just fell in love with "Careless Love" over there.

It's too easy to fall in love with too many of them. My list has Fancy Free, Doctor Wu, Plum Frost and several others.

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Well... I'm all for someone making a little $ with plants, and I really don't care where they came from, that was not my point.. I was just shocked to see the oringinal pictures.
Using a company's picture and enhancing it to the point of it being unrealistic, making claims of New for 2008 is misleading, and not to honor the 2 for 1 offer in the ad for mentioning DG, taking 20 days to get my plants, no response to 3 emails, like I said above... leaves me a little disenchanted... to say the least.

I totally understand how different they can be under different conditions.. I've had plenty of coleus grown in different conditions and have seen the differences first hand.
I feel like an ignorant newbie that fell for a misleading ad.
I also feel bad for coming here and causing all this drama when a lot of you obviously know her. She may be a wonderful person and have amazing plants. It's my impression she needs some business advice before she really makes someone mad or gets into legal trouble.

Anderson, SC(Zone 7b)

Well, I just bought 3 more on eBay, and it's all you guys' fault!!! hehehehe

I haven't bought from this seller before, so I hope they're good. I got Black Star, Stormy Weather, & Parakeet, plus some white Trailing Snapdragon.

http://stores.ebay.com/INSTANT-COLEUS-PLUS

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

ZZ,
Two years ago I was just drooling over the pictures at Glasshouseworks.
Well in late Jan. I ordered about $100. worth. Well, they took my money that day.
I didn't get any plants at all for 3 months. I had trips to take for work.
I needed to get them situated where they could grow while I was making money.
The snivelling little plants arrived in May. They were pitiful. They got very upset when I wrote a sincerly dissappointed review here at DG.
Contact the lady with your complaints. If she takes your $ she needs to acknowledge and charge her Dave's Garden special price.
Sidney

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Thank you Sidney.. I did that and will not vent here any more. It was a learning experience and I'm not bitter.

It's these cold gray days of winter that drive me to impulse shop looking to bring some color in the dullness of winter. :)

Newport News, VA(Zone 11)

ZZ
I just checked Garden Watchdog and this seems to be an ongoing problem. Posting your experience there seems to get the owners attention.

http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/6026/

My experience with them was excellent. I saw what others posted but based on my own experience I'll order from them again.

South Venice, FL(Zone 9b)

Brinda- good eye! The coleus that I bought untagged http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=4574684 is indeed a Roaring Fire! So glad to have the mystery solved. I grabbed a tag off one of the plants at the nursery, so it's not naked anymore!

Connie_W, I made a point to compare the coleus that I got a few weeks ago and have had planted since then, to the ones of the same type, still at the nursery. I could tell they were the same cultivars, but there was a noticeable difference in leaf size, brightness, etc.

I think another thing that throws things off is the dang flash on the camera. I took two pics of the properly tagged Roaring Fire, this one without a flash:

Thumbnail by svplantingfool

And this one with a flash. The yellows look brighter with the flash.

And since they were a few other varieties, I gave in and brought some more home...
Cathy

From the bottom lower left, clockwise around:
Gay's Delight, Dipt in Wine, Kong Rose, Mississippi Summer, Kong Red

They're all lovely. I have one with that fuchsia center and it goes so well with the dahlia, Mazama.

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Cathy, you are making my mouth water with those pics!! :o)

Oooh, that Mazama is so pretty! I tried a couple small dahlias, the sister something or other, but they aren't doing too well. I'm going to try moving them, maybe they need more sun than they're getting.
I was just arranging stuff in the beds and put that fuschia centered one right next to a fucshia salvia, it looks perfect!

Tammy, you poor thing wih all that snow and cold, come on down here, I'm planting all sorts of stuff today, could use another set of hands!

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Oh wow...the flash certainly makes a diff. I'm still wondering about the SOIL content. I realize that the seasons make a difference. I think I"ll do an experiment this summer after school is out. Will amend the soil in two different pots...make one more acid and the other more alkaline and see what happens.

I'm planning to plant coleus around my pool like Brind's pic at the top of this thread...it's BEAUT-itul!!)
I want a PURPLE one and an ORANGE one. Just two types--I know such restraint is contrary to the true Victorian coleus lover's wild abandon!!--Any suggestions?

Just thinking: Isn't it interesting that the Victorians were such prudes in manners--both in the home (!!) and out, but their gardens were usually a riot of color? I guess that's where they let it "all hang out"!!! :-)

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Cathy, that sure sounds like a plan, but I think you would be all done before I got there, but I would have time to dig up my corner and bring it back with me! HE HE HE :o)

I'm curious to see what happens with your pH test...

Lol at the Victorian comemnt!

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

I worked outside for 5 hours yesterday. Dug over 20 holes including 3 in SOLID caleche (sp?) which is a 30-minute hole!! Today my right thumb is so strained I can barely type!

I planted 8 clumps of purple fountain grass, moved 8 barberrys, and planted 3 Japanese yews and one red-tipped Phitinia. More to go today...

Pirl,....I following the link...didn't see a section called "Dark Secret" More info? That web site is GREAT! Thanks!

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

You can come and help me shovel the 3 inches of snow we have! :o)

Connie, what is caleche, a type of rock? clay? Never heard of it, but it sounds like a back breaker.

We have our first snow storm of the winter and only got a few inches. It's glorious looking outside at the blue skies and the snow on the evergreens.

That wasn't a "section", Connie - just a coleus named Dark Secret that I pointed out because of the three photos that accompany it to show the differences in color throughout the seasons. I do love the site and love looking at the photos. Plum Frost is my favorite.

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

The snow is better than the ice, fer shure! :o)

Agreed!

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

LOL :o)

Caleche is a clay based 'soil?' indigenous to Texas and New Mexico. Brinda might even have some Caleche adventures.
It doesn't drain well and it was used as the base for roads all over Texas.
I believe iit's one of the layers that hold Texas togeather.
Anyone that digs 3 holes in it has tighted her muscles for sure.
Sidney

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Sidney, I think it's holding my house on this hill! LOL I grew up with it in Western Oklahoma! Red clay!!!!! Hard as a rock! And I remember we used to throw 'dirt clods' at each other. Ouch! It was like getting hit with a big rock!

I feel for you Connie, if it's anything like what we have here. I remember DH digging holes to put up a new stockade fence back in 2005 and he gave up. He rented an auger and called it even!

Thumbnail by Brinda
Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Ha! How do you like that? I guess I should always preview before I hit send!

Here's some poles that DH put in with the auger. BTW... Sidney, that is the neighbor's backyard to the house I've been trying to sell you. Look how much fun you would have making it into a paradise!!! Isn't it awful?

Thumbnail by Brinda
Newport News, VA(Zone 11)

What a huge space! But what would Sidney do if she couldnt overwinter her coleus outdoors?

Get a greenhouse?

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Quoting:
Get a greenhouse?

LOL Pirl... that's exactly what I was thinking!!! Looks like she will have plenty of space for a greenhouse and I certainly have plenty of plants to fill it for her! LOLOL

See that! We're all just out to help her.

Thanks for the definition of caleche!
Connie, hope you have recovered from digging all those holes...

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Okay...I'm back after finishing the last of my planting / spreading dirt the last few days!
I also planted 20 bushes on Sunday. Today I finished up with 8 more bushes and then some annuals I had bought and had to get into the ground. Then fertiliizing. Then took the garbage out, and it was full of rocks so I just scooted it down the drive hoping it didn't take off (my drive is steep!) on its own!! :-) All that after a day of teaching 15 year olds! haha

The only good thing the last few days is that DH heated up the spa and I got in it for an hour after all the planting on Sunday and it was sooo relaxing!

(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Well, where are the pics?? Seriously, congratulations for 1) being so ambitious, 2) getting everything done, and 3) having a spa to relax in!

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

I"ll try to take pics this weekend and post! I still have a few more annuals to plant.
Had to go outside and cover my Ixora (good to 40 degrees and we were predicted to have temps of 38 Tuesday night); uncovered them this a.m. and they looked good!

You're going to have one beautiful yard Connie.
;)

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

I hope so! Now that the pool construction is over, I need to get the water sprinker guy scheduled to hook it back up...OR I'll be stuck at home all summer watering!

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Okay...this is not Yalaha or Yulee, but today I bought 4 flats of coleus and planted almost all of them. My back is killing me!
Bought Wizard Pineapple and Wizard Crimson. Here is a pic of the way I planted them, with a "river" of the pineapple and filling in with the crimson.

Thumbnail by Connie_G

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.