Yulaha and Yulee, Anyone?

South Venice, FL(Zone 9b)

Connie-W, That's going to be luscious when it fills out! What is the exterior of your house, local stone or brick? It's pretty.

Cathy

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Love that river look. I did it one year with muscari and didn't realize how much they'd spread!

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Connie, I think that will look spectacular! Please post pics for us when they've grown some. We all love to drool over coleus!

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Cathy, that is actually the dry stack (and part cemented where it was repaired) wall around the back of my lot. I'm on a hill overlooking Lake Travis. I have a total of 7 different levels as it's pretty steep. Put it this way...I can place my garbage can on the driveway and it rolls itself down ....I have to watch it or it will roll into the street! ha

I will post pics as they grow. We're getting cold weather tonight..below 40...so I went out and took 40 bowls and covered all the little coleus. My cat just stared at me like I was crazy! lol

I

South Venice, FL(Zone 9b)

Connie, so many challenges! The lake view probably makes it all worth it though.

We had 40 last week with nasty dry winds and the edges of some of the babies got windburned. Hoping for rain tonight to make everything smile!

Cathy

Thumbnail by svplantingfool
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Does anyone know if "Wizard Pineapple" needs partial shade? My "Wizard Crimson" are doing well but not so for the Pineapple! They just look "tired" and the edges are brown. Could be they felt the cold even though I covered them with the bowls last Friday?

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Yes, most of the wizard and Rainbow series need partial shade. I have much better luck with bedsheets. I have no frost burn with the fabric down to 32º. However I bet your babies bounce back with lots of new growth. You can always remove the ugly leaves in a week or so and if that leaves them leggy just take cuttings and the host plant will rebound. You root the cuttings and replace any plants that don't survive with those.
Sidney

Coden, AL(Zone 8b)

Yesterday I ordered from Plumeria....
Florida City Yalaha
Florida City Micanopy
Florida City Yulee
Curly Magenta and...
Stormy Weather.

I'll post pictures when the plants arrive. I can't wait to get them!

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

I'm ordering again this weekend...ordered about a month ago and my PayPal account for some reason failed to work!

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Ack Connie! That has always been a nightmare of mine. Actually, I have visions of DH finally destroying all my money sources! LOL

Anderson, SC(Zone 7b)

Well, I finally got my order from Plumeria last week & I'm not a happy camper. I'll leave it at that until I hear back from them.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Uh oh, SCNewbie...waiting to hear details before replacing my order!
Brinda: It was a shock, as it had always worked before! I probably did it myself....old age! :-+

Anderson, SC(Zone 7b)

Well, doesn't look like she's going to make good on my order, so here's what happened.

I bought the "Pick 3" & ordered Yalaha, Yulee, & Maricopa

- They were NOT packed well. Wrapped in plastic bags and stuffed top first into a flat box against crumpled newspaper, so 3 of the 4 had broken leaves & stems. Picture below.

- 1 plant wasn't labeled, & there was an extra plant I didn't order. I had sent an email with my choices but had never gotten a response, so I wasn't sure what was going on.

- I immediately potted them, but I believe the Yulee is dead & gone. I had hoped it would come back, but after 10+ days, I don't think it's going to. The others are doing ok.

I wrote her earlier this week. She responded right away & apologized for the packing, but she asked me to make every effort to keep these alive. She said if she had to replace Yulee it might be with another plant because they were having problems with keeping Yulee alive, or it was slow growing, or something.

I wrote her immediately back telling her I didn't think the Yulee was going to make it..... and she's never responded.

Not happy, and I'll be posting so at the Garden Watchdog.

Thumbnail by SCNewbie

Please post in Garden Watch.
Sidney

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Oh...that's sad looking! I've received 3 mail orders of plants thus far from 3 different companies and they all were superbly packed. I need to post the nice results too, huh?

Anderson, SC(Zone 7b)

Yes, I buy 99% of my plants online & always post when I'm happy with stuff. :) I don't like to post negative reviews, but I did just post one for Plumeria.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

If she admitted that the Yulee is not growing well, then she should not have shipped it. AND you need a refund, for certain, not a substitute plant. I hate it when they say they will sub something you have NO need for and don't want. I'm sorry you had a bad experience.

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

You folks sucked me in! I hopefully will have some of these new ones on and about the patio this summer. Due to health issues I am closing the main gardening efforts and resorting to tinkering about the patio. I need to get the TLC down to ride by with the riding mower. Not what I would like to do but what I must do. Will grow some of the easy stuff now.

I also ordered Yulee. Will let all know how the order looks when it comes in.

We should all report what we get so others can benefit from our experiences.

Anderson, SC(Zone 7b)

Just want to add a note here that Marlene/Plumeria Gallery finally got back to me yesterday & is sending me 2 new plants.

Great news!

I work on the theory that they all work like the dickens to earn their livingings from our bucks. In most cases they are still human and try hard to please their customers. There likely are a few more bad customers than there are really and truely bad service people.
Even so the really good businesses will be pleasant to work with... alowing for a perfectly human short fuse once in awhile. Ya gotta love 'em. I sure would not be fitted for full time in the greenhouse.

Yes, she has potential that the northern growers don't as for where she's.
I do hope she get's the kinks out.
;)

Jacksonville, FL

I just received my order from Plumeria gallery--14 plants total--and they arrived in horrible shape. Totally limp/wilted, broken stems leaves falling off due to poor packaging, plus they don NOT look like the pictures in their website. I have emailed them and waiting for a response. A very disappointing experience!!!
Linda

Linda go ahead and put them in some nearly warm water. They may rebound to a degree. I still think she needs to compensate you.
Sidney

Arlington, GA(Zone 8a)

My 4 arrived 2 weeks ago,They are fine from the travling and are growing like crazy.

Coden, AL(Zone 8b)

I received my order yesterday. My mother unpacked them from the box, and I planted them about an hour later. Out of my entire order, (12 plants) I had only about 4 broken leaves. They were a little "weary" from the travel... but this morning, they are looking SO MUCH better. I am happy with my order, and would order from them again. They are a good size also! There were a few that I did not put in 4" pots... I had to move them to 6" and one that I put into an 8" pot!

BTW. I am now addicted to CURLY MAGENTA!! (SP?)

Pictures of Curly Magenta please.
Sidney

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

I think --to begin with --that ordering plants through the mail is like trying to make something very fragile--like a clay pot with fluted edges-- and then send it thru the mail. Sometimes it will make it in pretty good shape...sometimes not. It's just a gamble. After all, people handle the package...machines handle it...it's a miracle that anything arrives alive! So when I order thru the mail, I expect leaves to be broken, some to be on their last "breath," etc. I just order things that I can't get ANYWHERE else and just Have to have! :-)

Anderson, SC(Zone 7b)

I order 99% of my plants thru the mail & I'm quite happy with them most of the time. Packaging & timing are critical, tho.

Amen.
;)

Jacksonville, FL

I did take Sidneys advice and saved about half of them. Marlene is going to send me some replacements that are available, I told her to send what she recommended as the most hardy. My Rosy dawn order should arrive next week. I have been having a wonderful time landscaping from a bare-bones clean slate. Smaller area than I moved from but coming along nicely. Was helping my son this weekend-he bought my house that I moved from (I bought it when I was 32 and he just bought it and is 32!!!)
I am leaving him SO many plants but will get cuttings etc if I have room and will give him cuttings etc. He is turning into a gardner! Loves working in the yard!

That's such a good feeling compared to selling the house to someone who hasn't the foggiest idea and just rips everything out. That's a heartbreaker for any who've gone through the horrid experience.

Anderson, SC(Zone 7b)

I finally received my replacement plants yesterday and they all came thru packaged extremely well - almost a little on the "overkill" side. lol

She sent me Stormy Weather & Mariposa (both I chose & are very good plants this time), and a 3rd, unidentified one - I've written her to ask what it is.

I'll update my review in the Garden Watchdog.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Newbie...that's great to hear! I was feeling terrible since I started this thread and was so excited about the "new" coleus! After my PayPal didn't go thru, and the "bad" reports came in , I didn't replace my order, but now I think I shall! :-) BUT, I just bought 6 - 6-packs of coleus at a local nursery here (Red Barn) for 2.29 a pack! Four of the packs are dark purple and 2 are "assorted." I just grabbed them (the plants are about 6 inches high...will have to pinch back ) and didn't look to see if there was an info card.

Anderson, SC(Zone 7b)

Wow - good deal!!!!

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Yes, I do love a plant bargain!

I'm still waiting for my order. I can not plant them out until at least May 15th. anyway. If the company follows my 5a zone weather averages they should arrive between May 5th. and May 25th.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Doc...when I first talked with the owner, she said she ships for the zone. Hope you get some beauties!! :-)

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

Brinda, your pool shot is to die for. What a lovely setting.

Brenda

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.