Yulaha and Yulee, Anyone?

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Oh thank you Brenda! I love sipping coffee by the pool before the sun comes up. And I'm really looking forward to it this year!!!

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

I just had occasion to speak with Marlene owner, Plumeria Gallery. My order has been increased. I am confident that a great package of goodies is about to arrive. From the fourteen plants I hope to get ample variety in color and plant differences. With a little luck I will share cuttings with a buddy that has a greenhouse as well as keep some inhouse over next winter.

I can almost see myself picking and choosing next spring to make the collection even better. :) I will likely inflect the illness to several unsuspecting souls.

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Quoting:
I will likely inflect the illness to several unsuspecting souls.

I love that...

Coden, AL(Zone 8b)

ughhhh...

I just deleted a rather long post I just wrote. Explained ALOT about photos and how settings can .... UGGGG oh well I'll keep it short. I consider photography a passion. I have a Konica Minolta digital SLR, tons of features, settings etc. I can take one picture and it come out a ton of different ways. I am going to post three different pictures of my Florida City Yalaha that I received from Marlene at Plumeria Gallery. I hope that this will ease some of the fears from purchasing from her... because my experience was GREAT and I am happy I ordred. Packaging was outstanding. Other than a little "weary from the travel" the Coleus are beautiful. I will order again (tonight? hehe)

DR. Sugarweed.... Please excuse my tardiness on the posting of the picture for "Curly Magenta" I hope to be forgiven. ^_^ While I'm begging... can I ask you for a little help. I would LOVE to be the first person on DG to have a picture of Curly Magenta to post in the Plant Files. I "kinda" scanned through the Coleus plant files pictures (but the ADD kicked in) and I didn't see it. If YOU agree that it is not in there, would you please help me by writing any of the "wording" that needs to be included? I don't have the experience to do something like that. BUT I CAN POST A PIC! HA!

Drumroll please... The NEW Coleus (maybe) CURLY MAGENTA!

Thumbnail by HerringtonHills
Coden, AL(Zone 8b)

Curly Magenta... ready for her "close-up"

Coden, AL(Zone 8b)

And here she is right up in your face.
(Last picture of her...for now)

Anderson, SC(Zone 7b)

Oh - she's pretty!!!

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Okie dokie,
I'll do my best.
I would go to a page such as http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/53164/ and then open a second window and copy the given similar facts
Family: Lamiaceae (lay-mee-AY-see-ay) (Info)
Genus: Solenostemon (sol-en-oh-STEM-on) (Info)
Species: scutellarioides (skew-tell-ar-ee-OY-deez) (Info)
Cultivar: Carefree Mix You would put Curly Magenta instead here
After that you will get an opportunity to add details. Add only those that you are sure of.

Synonym:Coleus blumei
Synonym:Solenostemon blumei
Synonym:Ocimum scutellarioides
After that you will have an opportunity to

Category:
Annuals
Tropicals and Tender Perennials

Height: You likely don't know this yet
6-12 in. (15-30 cm)
12-18 in. (30-45 cm)

Spacing: You likely don't know this yet
12-15 in. (30-38 cm)

The rest are fairly standard to all coleus.

Hardiness:
USDA Zone 10a: to -1.1 C (30 F)
USDA Zone 10b: to 1.7 C (35 F)

Sun Exposure:
Sun to Partial Shade
Light Shade

Danger:
Unknown - Tell us

Bloom Color:
Violet/Lavender

Bloom Time:
Mid Summer
Late Summer/Early Fall

Foliage:
Grown for foliage
Variegated
Blue-Green Pick the colors that apply to your entry here.
Chartreuse/Yellow
Burgundy
Bronze-Green
Veined

Other details:
Average Water Needs; Water regularly; do not overwater

Soil pH requirements:
5.6 to 6.0 (acidic)
6.1 to 6.5 (mildly acidic)
6.6 to 7.5 (neutral)

Propagation Methods:
From softwood cuttings
From seed; sow indoors before last frost

N/A: plant does not set seed, flowers are sterile, or plants will not come true from seed this is the active part of this statement for coleus

I noticed some are posting pictures of seedlings for plants that don't come true from seed. I will be fascinated to see what these fresh sprouted seedlings look like when they are grown.

After all of that you are offered a chance to post a picture.
That is very similar to adding a picture to your post.
Curly Magenta is not in there yet.
Go to it!
Sidney

Coden, AL(Zone 8b)

OK... I put the "Midway Curly Magenta" into plant files. I checked this AM to see if it was approved, but it is not there yet. I hope I did it right. THANKS TO THE DR. for all of your help. I could have never done that without your post.

I don't know if I want to do that again. It really did a number with my ADD (really do have it, even take meds for it.) I went to bed after I finished putting in all the information. Just could not function after having to focus on something that detailed.

Here are three pictures of my Florida City Yalaha. I looked over Marlene's website last night and again today. On some of her photo's on the website, you can tell she used "stock" photo's. There's no telling how many times they have been downloaded, transferred etc. Since there is loss of info (dpi & pixels) during these times, I can see how some pictures may look "doctored"

The plant tag that came with my Yalaha, is a plant tag from Dupont Nursery. The photo on my plant tag for the Yalaha is the same photo on the Plumeria Gallery website. When these two photo's are compared, they are totally different. Both are "digital" images and I now (after comparison of the plant tag, website photo and my own "trials with photo's" of my own Yalaha) can see how it would be easy to think they are "touched up" photo's. In my humble opinion, I don't think any photo's have been altered. I think that it's just how they turned out being used on so many different types of media (websites, plant tags etc)

Dr. Sugarweed... can I put in an application to be your research documentation assistant? This little Coleus quest I went on was quite fun!

One question before I post my photo's... It may be really stupid, and I may not even be asking it correctly... HOW do people come up with "new kinds" of Coleus. I mean if they do not come from seed, are they using microscopes and tweezers to cut into plant cells and alter the nucleous? How do you make new types? I was looking at my Curly Magenta, and she would have beautiful babies if she "mated with my Florida City Miconapy...

Now for Yalaha. This first photo was on my KM Digital SLR with no flash and my body blocking natural light in late afternoon with sun already below treeline. If I printed this picture out and had my computer "raise the light" I bet those darker purple edges would come out blue.

Coden, AL(Zone 8b)

Here is my Yalaha, using my flash. Camera is pointed down, taking picture of the top of the plant.

Coden, AL(Zone 8b)

Here he is again. (For some reason, maybe the height and being very leafy") I call him a "He". Photo taken the same way as above, from the top...with no flash.

HH, you are so welcome.
Until recently "Plants will not come true from seed." was an option all by it's self. Yes they do produce seeds.
I imagine one could isolate the same species and hand pollinate the little flowers.
However when left to the bees no telling what coleus they have been dwadleing in before they get to the mama plant.
If one keeps up with the plant that the seeds mature on, you will as in life "Know who the Mama is!"
I believe Chris Baker, a hybridizer here said the parent plant for morning after was fishnet stockings.
Of course one of the first lessons in coleus growing is to pinch off the flowers because when the plant sets seeds it's job is done and it can die.
So come the end of growing season you can take some cuttings to over winter in the house and then let the plant go to seed.
Plant those seed and with the patience of Job you can wait and see what you've got.
That's one way. Then to keep it looking like the 2nd generation one would take cuttings and root them.
Another way new coleus are produced is by 'sports'.
A 'sport' is a branch that grows different from the other branches on a plant.
Sometimes sport cuttings will remain like the sport. Then often cuttings from a sport will revert back to the parent plant.
Last year I had some volunteer seedling babies. I am letting them mature this year and see if they are stand alone beauties.
Often coleus grown from seed are muddy so that's why they are propagated from cuttings.
Your pictures are terrific!
;)

Newport News, VA(Zone 11)

Wow Dr. Sidney!
That was impressive. I guess it means I better keep looking in HD for my varieities...lol

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Herrington...I echo others...your pics are "coleus-fabuleus"!!! And congrats on being the first to post 'Curly Magenta'!!!

I can't WAIT for school to be out (I'm a high school teacher) so I can order some coleus and be here when they arrive!! ...AND post pics of some that I've already planted.

Coden, AL(Zone 8b)

Thanks Sidney, for the info! Now I understand why there are so many differenty types of coleus out there! Got to love those "Color-Blind Bees!"
My aunt taught me about pinching the seeds off...to keep the coleus going, but that's about the only thing I knew I HAD to do. I had a huge potted container of Coleus 2 summers ago...but did not have the camera then. Now that I'm able, I'm going to try to replicate some of my coleus creations! This forum just kicked me into high gear!

To all... thanks alot for the compliments on the pictures... I hope you all have "high-speed" cause I love to take and share photos!

Brandi

Bartow, FL(Zone 9a)

Welcome, HH, I've been lurking in the corner reading this thread for a while. I just wanted to say hello. One little thing I think my buddy, Sugarweed, forgot to tell you about adding a new plant. After you enter the name and it has been accepted, go way down to the bottom and click on SELECT ALL DETAILS. That way you don't have to enter each one individually. That's a pain. We're glad to have you on the Coleus Forum, but you might enjoy the one on photography, too.

Thanks Dear Lady,
I sure enjoyed meeting you last year. Hope to get down that way later in the spring.
Yes and I did forget that detail.
I believe the blanket statement

Quoting:
N/A: plant does not set seed, flowers are sterile, or plants will not come true from seed
is very misleading for our new 'addicts'
Sidney

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

Any more comments on the service from the Plumeria Gallery? I ordered several coleus in February but asked that they not be shipped until the first of May. My CC was billed immediately which kind of goes against my grain but whatever....

I've been sending emails asking about the statis of my order for the past 2 weeks. Most of those emails have gone unanswered and I still have no coleus. I'm beginning to wonder if I should just cancel my order.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I just emailed yesterday or the day before and don't have any response either. Mine were supposed to be mailed three weeks ago.

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the response Pirl. I'm going to jump over to the Watchdog and see what kind of feedback she's been given recently.

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

It looks like we're not the only ones who have had this problem. I'm going to send her another email and tell her if she's having difficulty keeping up that she can go ahead and cancel my order.

I'll do the same thing.

I have Marlene's phone # somewhere.
Do you want me to find it for you?

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Oh no.. I'm sorry that's happening to you Lala and Pirl.. I know it's frustrating.

I may have a problem too. Holding with much patience. Got a shipped note more than a week ago. No plants here yet. I worried that they would lay in the warehouse of the shipper on the weekend. Shipping should be three days.

Anderson, SC(Zone 7b)

Mine took longer than they should have after I got the shipping notice, also. They were ok, altho a little wilted.

FYI - She has an ad in the Classifieds here, that she just posted a couple of days ago.

Newport News, VA(Zone 11)

So sorry this is happening to you guys...but I am not surprised. I read a post from her on the Yahoo coleus forum asking for cuttings. Maybe she hasnt gotten yours yet from her swaps :-)

Thanks for your reports.......seems this individual has some issues to clear up. If she oversold her benches cuttings that would tend to account for several of your comments.

I can deal with normal ship wilt.

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

My big issue was the fake picture!

Anderson, SC(Zone 7b)

Yes, and I have to tell you that my Yalaha City has never looked like the pic. It's been inside for a couple of months, now it's outside in partial sun. Fertilize with The Recipe or Fish Emulsion, still no extra colors. Oh well, it's at least healthy now. And she sent me replacements for a couple, and they're gorgeous.

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

It has been interesting to come back and read all your comments. I sent the email this morning as stated and still haven't heard from her. I let her know that this situation was being discussed on DG and that if she was unable to meet her demand she could cancel my order. It comes as quite a shock (a little sarcasm there) that she's still not responded to my email 9 hours later.

Thanks for the offer Sidney, but I think I've got her number. (LOL I meant phone number, but you can take that however you like.) I'll call her in the morning.

LOL, I think selling plants via mail order isn't as easy as some think.
Sidney

I'm sure it isn't easy but good communication is vital.

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

and honesty.

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

Oh I wouldn't think mail order plants would be easy by any means. I've sent enough myself to know that it's a chore.

But one must wonder why she's advertising for more business when she hasn't sent the plants that were ordered in February. Maybe my thinking's askew but that doesn't make sense to me.

I just checked my PayPal account and I paid for the coleus on January 26th. Since she isn't communicating I have cancelled the payment.

Garden Watchdog does not have this company listed as Plumeria Galleries. If there's another name I'd appreciate knowing it so I can leave feedback.

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Pirl, it took me awhile to find it but it's listed as 'The Plumeria Gallery'

Thanks. I'll go there right now.

Woodway, TX(Zone 8a)

I understand the frustration with this vendor from all your messages, but as far as the fake picture is concerned, she copied and pasted that from the website of the company that introduced that particular variety. THEY should be ashamed of themselves.

DP

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.