Hints of Spring! Please share yours....

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

I cannot resist. After a surly day of weather, I found this bloom yesterday morning. The first blooms always seem to be a promise of winter passing and a hint of what lies ahead.

Please join in posting your first spring surprises. Vegetable sprouts, robins, blooms. Share your hints of spring...

NE Medina Co., TX(Zone 8a)

Here's one bloom I saw a few days ago. As for spring, I won't believe that until next month.

Here a wildflower, the Two-Flower Anemone that tends to bloom early for me. Love those winter blooms! But better not to talk about the rest of my yard, suffice it to say there's been too many freezes.

Wow, that is an early Iris bloom and ever so pretty. The Anemones look like a low grower. Do they only bloom in the late winter or early spring?

It's wishful thinking on springtime but... I had hoped it was on the way when my dog Pod started shedding profusely. Don't suppose it is from lounging around in a warm house. 8 )

The anemone is still low-growing now, but later can get up as much as a foot tall when they really rev up and bloom. They bloom in February to early April usually, but sometimes as early as early January.

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

These are hyacinths on their way down--but they still smell great; despite the bad light this afternoon.

All the Narcissus tazetta var orientalis have bloomed and stopped except for one. 'Erlicheer' is starting to bloom--its a div 4 double, that's supposed to be an early bloomer, although it never is here. All of my Narcissus are under deciduous trees so they tend to be a little slower than in other's yards.

Some other more obscure bulbs are also blooming too.

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh my!! those hyacinths are so pretty, and they smell sooo good. Those are beautiful.

Thanks Josephine, they are right by the front steps...I've tended to just sit on the front steps a lot for the last 3 weeks.
Debbie

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

hyacinths just finished here... loved them and digging them up soon to dry.

Red Oak, TX

I have a few, very small promises of spring, but you might have to use a magnifying glass to see them.
carolina yellow jasmine.

Red Oak, TX

white dianthus

Mitch, why do you dig them up? They make it here in ground--although in the driest possible place they can be in. You are much drier up there.
Debbie

Red Oak, TX

chinese frindge flower

Red Oak, TX

Quince

Red Oak, TX

Pyracantha

I love dianthus--I sure wish I had remembered to start some seeds last fall.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

for the move :-)

Oh yes Mitch--sorry, not thinking...
=)

Aren't Anemone commonly called a wind flower?

Placenciarita ~ I am delighted to see your Carolina jessamine in bloom. That is one that I love to smell on the breeze. Apparently Dianthus are a cool weather bloom. I had tried some too late before but they melted in summer. Are those in your "white" garden?

Narcissus ~ paper whites...

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

no problem, they have lived here happy and reblooming for 4 years... cannot think about leaving them, their smell is the smell that I live to smell after a long winter.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Here's an early N. jonquil "Campernelle"...they usually bloom a little later.

Red Oak, TX

podster, the dianthus is just one little patch that was left from a mass planting in the white flower bed. Evidently they cannot take the heat.

ornamental kale from last fall.

Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

I don't have any of these, but I have a Lenten rose about to open. And, I just noticed today that my new little pulmonarias are budded already! Hope I'll have pictures this weekend.

Looking forward to them. I like the look of the Lenten rose. Are these the first blooms for the winter?

Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

Yes, it seems to me that it was a little earlier last year. But the flowers last about 3 months. :)

This is my first spring for the pulmonaria. Can't wait to see them.

This one surprised me this morning. It sure seems early... Vinca minor

Red Oak, TX

blue creeping phlox.

Red Oak, TX

pink creeping phlox.

Wow! Your phlox is already on bloom ~ no sign of it here yet although I did see my first wild violet blooms yesterday.

East of Nacogdoches, TX(Zone 8a)

Tulip Tree

Agapanthus blooming in the "h$$l strip" in front of McDonald's by the post office today...we really have had no winter here this year.

Dallas, TX

Hate to do this but on the uglier side of spring! I'am just an ole sour grape- right? Jerry

Dallas, TX

On the better side.

Well Jerry, that plant may be invasive but it is not ugly, I think dandelion flowers are beautiful.

Flowering Quince is beautiful too.

Dallas, TX

Well beauty is in the eye of the beholder! Right. I just do'nt like pulling the thousands of them that keeping coming up in front yard. Jerry

Dallas, TX

frostweed, Flowering Quince. Thanks, I forgot it's name.Its rootstock came from my Grand mothers home when she passed away in 1953. Jerry

How neat Jerry, those kinds of plants are very special, and you have preserved it well. Good Job.

Texasbigleaves ~ what a treat to have an inherited heirloom in that beautiful quince. I love them as they are one of the first heralds of spring. l like the dandelions too... not so ugly to me ~ lol

The Tulip tree is definitely another early sign of spring. Very pretty.

Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

Okay, tomorrow I should be able to post my one little blooming lenten rose. It has a lot of buds, but the first ones are just now opening up. Don't know why they're so late. But they are worth the wait. Same with the pulmonaria.

Noticed lots of other things while I was out gardening today.
buds on the daffodils
more pulmonaria buds
buds on my new Asiatic lilies from the Blooming Bulb fall coop (which makes me very nervous--they are way too early!)
Sheila's blue pickerel reed is emerging
Sheila's butterfly ginger is coming out
Melva's clock vine has all kinds of new growth (moved it outside today, Melva, still in a pot in case of freeze)
Charlene's Tropicanna canna has new shoots
Canna 'Angel Pink' has green shoots
All columbine are emerging
All types of coreopsis are starting up
Tradescantia is green and spreading
Toad lilies are up
jackmanii clematis has new shoots
Yarrow looks like it thinks it's April
Daisies: dwarf 'Snowcap' is green and spreading; 'Becky' is already a foot tall
Butterfly bush that I almost killed by moving it has new growth
Oh, and yeah, henbit and chickweed having a heyday :(

Things that never died back completely this year--salvias, semi-evergreen daylilies, every kind of iris I have, wax begonias, ruellias, sweet autumn clematis, even a couple of petunia baskets

But--oddly enough, no there's sign yet of the very early things--wisteria, flowering quince, Bradford pear.

I am really fighting the temptation to put out some of the things I brought inside. It was sooooooo nice out today. But I keep remembering that 4-inch snowfall we had once on April 1.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.