Welcome to the Basket Weaving forum!

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Just a teensy weensy twist of the arm and here we are! LOL
Awesome basket, Dave!!!

North Augusta, ON

Beautiful basket!!!

Can't wait for the auctions :))

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

Dave, that is just beautiful! You did good. Are you giving lessons, how about a video? huh? huh?

I may one day put together a tutorial article and publish it here on DG, on how to make the melon basket shown above. It's actually quite easy to make, once you get past the frustration of making the loops and inserting the ribs. Those two steps are the only actual difficult part of making this, in my opinion.

Dave, that is beautiful! I know very little about basket making. Is it a melon basket because of the shape? What is it made of?

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

fantastic dave!

is the handle bois d'arc? I love those trees. I'd never heard or saw them until we moved here. I think the wood is so pretty.

Quoting:
Is it a melon basket because of the shape?

Yes, exactly. :)

Quoting:
What is it made of?

Rattan reed (the standard basket making reed you'd buy from any basketmaker supplies outlet.

Quoting:
is the handle bois d'arc?

No, the handle is actually oak, probably white oak. I bought the handle on the bigger one. The smaller melon basket has a handle made from oval reed. I'm going to make a bois d'arc (pronounced bodark, ya know) :) handle very soon. We have thousands of bodark branches on our property and I can't wait to use them. The color is beautiful and you know that wood -never- rots.

North Augusta, ON

I just had to google that name. Is that the fruit that is supposed to repel bugs and rodents?

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

What a beautiful basket!!!!!!! Talent.. Talent.. Talent.. You got a good dose of all of it Dave. : )

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

yes, the fruit of the bodark tree does repel bugs.
I couldn't make out the handle color good enough to tell what kind of wood it was. I need glasses.

the wood never rots and it tears up chain saws pretty good too! (we know this from experience)

Crossville, TN

"A Tisk- it, a task-it, I'd sure like to have that BASKET!! LOL Jo

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

hmmm, helps to know the boss likes to weave baskets!

I'm just a wanna be. I've been busy weaving some wallhangings.

I found a dead bois d'arc tree next to our creek bottom. It was on the ground, half covered with constantly moist soil. The top was covered with green moss and it looked like it had been lying there for 25 years or more (it probably has). When I hit it with my axe, it was like hitting iron. I finally managed to cut into it and the wood was bright orange and looked brand new. Amazing.

I read that bois is french for "tree" and d'arc means "of the archer", and bois d'arc means the tree of the archer. Later this summer I'm planning to make a bow out of bois d'arc and see how quality of a bow and arrow outfit I can make. I've heard of people deer hunting with handmade bois d'arc bows... That would be incredible sense of satisfaction and self-reliance.

london England, United Kingdom

Great new forum Dave, Thankyou!

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Great new forum, Dave. Nice useful baskets you made.

I have grape vines and every year when I prune them I think it is a shame to throw those cut vines away. They would make some very strong baskets.

I'll be watching this forum to see if anyone makes baskets from grape vines. They could also be made something like a screen to protect plants from the sun or wind. Probably there are lots of things an artsy-craftsy person could do with them.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I love baskets! please don't paint all of them, Dave! The natural look is outstanding and the work is even more outstanding!

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

Somewhere in the three feet below me is a basket I made in Boy Scout Camp from Catty Nine Tail plants. That was my one and only. The fact I still remember it serves well, to prove, each basket made is a memory in itself. The second natural reed weaving we did was to learn to cane chair seats. We actually made canoe seats, in that same camp. Those were the good ole days without television and MacDoogles. We had time and teachers with the love and time to teach such things. We thought such activities were very important. Almost every kid got Basket Weaving merit badge while in camp.

If you have never done either of these two things I challenge you to learn. You will forever remember the experience.

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

Beautiful basket Dave.
I got real interested in making baskets about 30 years ago and for some reason just quit. I made several and really enjoyed it. I still have all the makings, you inspire me to get it out and make another one.

Betty

Baie-Saint-Paul, Canada

Lovely basket! I have just a small thing. I live in Quebec, and while the tree and wood may be pronounced that way in English, it's correctly pronounced "bwa dar." It means "Bow wood" and was used to make bows because of its flexibility and ability to withstand rot. Much like Yew in England. Tree is "arbre".

Baie-Saint-Paul, Canada

Mary E,
Have you checked out the great loose weave baskets on this site? Grape vine heaven!

jaeldid66, thanks for that info!

I got some bwadar wood off the property this afternoon and can't wait to start splitting it up.

Baie-Saint-Paul, Canada

Wish I could get some off my property. Have to wait for the 6 feet of snow drifts to melt before I get any kind of wood. I have some interesting things , though, and can't wait to try my first basket!

Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA(Zone 9a)

....and you said you just STARTED this craft a couple of MONTHS ago? Good grief, man----this is a BEAUTIFUL basket----I have finally managed to make grapevine wreaths that I'm not completely ashamed of, and that's after 3 seasons of trying!!!! I sure hope you DO sell them on the new DBay site, cause I'd love to have one to add to my little basket collection!

Central, VA(Zone 7b)

Dave, you better get weaving. Sounds like your beautiful baskets will be in demand.

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

I'm not much into the flat look of a Longaberger basket. But I do like Dave's georgeous baskets. Dave, a multi faceted man you are!
Speed weaving, next?

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Wow Dave you are one talented man that better get moving int he basket making area. My guess is you will be sold out before you can finish posting them all. I for one would like to own one of your baskets.

Terlton, OK

Hi all ...newbie to this forum, does any one do pine needle baskets??? Picked up this art a few months ago and I'm hooked...

Thumbnail by curlers
Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Curlers, I've been admiring your work on the Artisans forum. How did you get started?

Terlton, OK

Thank You Kathleen, my new husband did this art form when he was a child, then later on when he lived in Fla. and then a funny thing, we were at a garage sale and he saw a box of dried gourds....bought all for 1.00...I asked him what in the world did you buy those for...lol...then some of my good buddies from a garden forum sent me some pine needles and I cant seem to put them down....I took a few to a museum gift shop in Tulsa, Okla. and they snatched them up quick...Was so terrified when I went in, seeing all the bright and shinny things, the paintings, sculptures, etc. and here I was comming in with of all things "gourds & pine needles" so funny. Thought I was really out classed, but I guess not....Here is a link to the Museum.................................

http://templates.earthstores.com/9090/default.asp?compid=gilcreasemuseumshop

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Good job!

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

They're beautiful.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

I did a few pine needle baskets. Here are a few that I did. Had to take a bread for hand surgery.

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader
San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

Here is another

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader
San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

This is the inside of the larger one. It was a birthday gift for my daughter, Summer Rose.

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader
Terlton, OK

Gourdbeader, Your baskets are fantastic . What is the bottom of the last one made of..
Here is my first basket...just learning ...Do you have a web site for your art?

Thumbnail by curlers
Crossville, TN

JAN!! Welcome back! I have one of your wee baskets...love it... I'll have to take a picture of it soon. Jo

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

fantastic people! I love baskets that I can put plants in......................around the house.............

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

Thank you so much for this forum Dave! I bet I will be spending a LOT of time here! Your baskets are wonderful, thank you for sharing them with us. :^)

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Wow, I had no idea that people actually made baskets as a hobby - great therapy I'm sure. Dave, about how many hours are invested in your melon basket, and others??

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.