just painted orange...

Hi everyone! My kitchen/dining room/living room are all connected (like one big room) so they are all the same color...a beautiful color called Pumpkin. It is very orange and I absolutely love it in my kitchen. In my living room, however, this color looks entirely different at night. It almost glows it is so orange. I need to tone it down but keep the same base color because I don't want to change my kitchen. My furniture is brown and I have wood floors. I haven't purchased curtains or throw rugs yet but am thinking of staying with beige/brown/orange colors. Any suggestions on toning down this color? Thanks!!

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

You could use a complimentary shade of color in the living room. A warm beige, a lighter shade of the pumpkin, a soft fawn. Then re introduce the color in accessories To keep unnity and flow between the spaces.

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

How about some sort of painted treatment over the orange - like sponging or a stencil of some sort? There are a lot of methods for 'over painting' that aren't all that complicated and will keep the color you want while toning it down in the livingroom.

Silver Lake, OH(Zone 5b)

You can sponge over a warm bronze or copper shade or if you want to really cool it down you can use cool olive or khaki, burgundy or plum with it to darken it and keep it from being like living inside a pumpkin shell!

If you use matte colors it won't glow so much...

To find out what it will look like, I suggest that you paint a piece of wallboard (a pretty large one, you want to get a true idea what walls will be like) with your Pumpkin color and then try different mixtures till you get what you want. Stand the board up in your living room behind some furniture and make sure you move it around to catch the light from the different angles it enters your room.

Let us know what you end up doing... maybe you could even post a picture!?? It sounds so inviting.

Enjoy!

Love in Christ,
Janie
<{{{><

Jay, OK(Zone 6a)

I agree about the painted treatment over the existing color. How about a nice glazed copper or bronze that allows the wall to coordinate with the other walls?
Good Luck!
Dori

Fall River, MA(Zone 6a)

have you done anything yet jr? i'm dying to know your solution!

i agree with some of those above who suggested an overtreatment. i had a similar situation in my last apartment and i solved it by using a wash two shades lighter (added water to the paint and sponged it on -- actually went over it three separate times) over the darker base coat. it was wonderful the way the light played over the walls when the sun was out and the warm, cozy sensation in the evening with the tungsten light. good luck!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.