Perlite question

I know that at some point I saw someone mention (I think it was here at DG, but I can't find it) that you can get perlite much cheaper at home supply places if you search outside the garden section because it's sold for some homebuilding purpose. (Sort of like how epsom is much cheaper if you don't get it at a garden store.) Anyone know what it's called (if under a different name) and what section it's in? Hints appreciated. Thanks.

Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

If you don't need huge amounts, I get mine at The Big Orange Box store in 3.9 cu ft bags for around 19.00 ( I's been a while) it was a local product from here in AZ. You can also try masonry supply places. they sometimes sell it as light weight aggragate for plastering.

Thanks! What was the product called? Was it perlite? Thanks for your help!

Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

The product is perlite not be confused with vermiculite, and is sold here under the name of ThermoRock. it looks like white shredded styrofoam. It comes in a large green bag and I found it in the garden section. Word of caution: Always wear a dust mask and safety goggles when working with this stuff. It is basically puffed volcanic glass and can do nasty things over time when inhaled.

Yes. That's what it looks like here as well, so that sounds like what I am looking for. It's not vermiculite. I think that it is used for wall texture.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

    You may upload up to 5 images