Coleus Chatters thru March 2nd...

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Good Monday Morning to Everyone! We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/815043/

Countdown to Springtime! Just think, this time next week it will be March. Yipppeee, I am so ready!

Coleus Paisley Shawl

Thumbnail by Brinda
Rankin, IL(Zone 5a)

YIPEE I can't wait.. of course, we have to have just a foot of snow to start it off!

Did I say thats Brinda for labeling your pics... I love knowing which coleus I am looking at.. so pretty!

Florence, AL

The first day of spring is March 20,daylight savings time is March 9. Can't wait!
It's pretty chilly here today, but warm up thru the week.

I've got pics coming of coleus, if I can get my camera to upload.

Pam

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

Pam,
I have been kicking myself for not bring my camera! I wanted to post pics of your babes.

Running through! Hey OLD LADY BRINDA!!

Florence, AL

We should have took pics when you where here on Sat. but I completely forgot about it. I had took pics of all those coleus I had, but my camera is not working right for some reason, I think it's the batteries.
You will have to come back up when my greenhouse opens for Spring, March 15th. Gezzzzzzzzz that's only 3 weeks.
Got alot of that Ivy potted up yesterday, I think all of it will be okay, lots of roots.

Pam

Florence, AL

I finally got my camera to work.
This is a Wizard mix

Thumbnail by stumpenursery
Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Well Pam? Don't stop there! We need to see more!!!

Traci, you have no idea how old I feel. I finally finished the front bathroom and now I need to do the area where the tub & shower are, but that's not gonna happen for a few days. Man, I need time to recoop!

So Pam & Traci played this weekend? How fun that must have been!

Mary? Where are you? Did you ever get your ebay purchases? What about you Pheadra?

Rankin, IL(Zone 5a)

baby me... whats a wizard mix?

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Hi Fran,

I'll try to explain, but Sidney could probably explain much better.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/finder/cultivars.php?sname=Coleus&choice=W

http://www.coleusfinder.org/pictures.php

Wizard Mix coleus has quite a few varieties and they are from seed. The Wizard and Carefee come true from seed... other coleus don't.
That is why you see so many of the Wizard coleus in the big box stores.

Is that right Sidney???

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Well Brinda you inspired me. LOL
So I tackled the Crack in the utility room floor.
Chiseled it out and will fill it and lay down new tile.
Will replace the wall sheet rock, order and install a Garden Window.

Thumbnail by TARogers5
Denton, TX(Zone 7b)

Hi Brinda, a Coleus newbie here and I have seed for Kong Scarlet and Limelight coleus. I guess they won't come true since they aren't Wizard. Maybe it will be a surprise as to what they look like. I'd like to read up on hybridizing coleus...any book recommendations?

Your Paisley Shawl is gorgeous and what is the beautiful pastel misty pink one on the right? Do you mind telling where you ordered them?

Karen

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Hi Karen, Welcome to this colorful corner of DG. Stick around long enough and you will have an obsession for coleus for sure! The Paisley Shawl came from Rosy Dawn Gardens http://www.rosydawngardens.com/

I think that the Kong series does come true from seed. I'm not that familiar with it as it takes shade and I have mostly sun here. And I don't know what Limelight is. Maybe Sidney or some of the others will know what it is.

Ted!!!! You look like you have a job there. Wow... do you ever just relax and enjoy? You're always working on some huge project! Take it easy and don't work too hard!

Denton, TX(Zone 7b)

Thanks, Brinda. I'm already addicted to these gorgeous plants. So many gorgeous ones to drool over! Have you ever ordered from this site? They have a lot of pretty ones but the plants may be smaller than RosyDawn's.

http://gebhartgreenhouse.com/colues_a_d_onlinecatalog.htm

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Wow, Karen! I have never seen that site before. I just looked for them in the GardenWatchdog and they don't seem to be listed.

Anyone else know anything about them?

Karen, RosyDawn sends rooted cuttings. Some of them are fairly small but always very well rooted and ready to go. And their shipping fee is figured in with the $4.75 price of each.

Florence, AL

What does the Kong series look like? Are they big leaved?

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

Pam, I think so and I think they grow larger but not positive.

Oh Dear, rosethyme. What have you done now? Brinda, let's make a deal. I won't order any if you won't. It will be more of a game, because one of us is going to break.

May Princess Tammy never break.

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

Pam, check this link out. It gives lots of info on the different coleus, including the largest leaved. http://www.rosydawngardens.com/Selection_Guide.aspx

May Princess Tammy always have large leaves.

South Venice, FL(Zone 9b)

Oh gracious, not another site...
This is very dangerous. Every page has another must have!
Stumpenursery, I just saw a Kong yesterday for the first time and nearly fell over! The leaves are huge, but the tag says they only grow 10 to 12 inches high. Guess we'll see.
Cathy

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

TRACI!!!! What is up with this Princess Tammy stuff that I've been seeing on DG for the past week or so????? LOL I know I should have figured it out by now, but duh.... I am blonde!

Uh Traci... I can't promise that I won't buy any! LOL I just had Braden hide my credit card. And I was just kidding too. I yelled, 'Uhoh...someone hide the credit cards'! And he did! Now I'm going to have to bribe him so he'll tell me what he did with my purse.

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

It is a, well, how to describe it? It is a game. Each month someone is a princess and she receives gifts. You can gain and lose points according to the rules of the game. I lost ALL of mine for the month and got bumped a few months. The biggest thing is I can't go out the end of the month with zero points. So, I am making sure I do everything right, as I gained a few points. Here, read the first post and it will explain.... http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/817397/
I have already been replaced and moved to July, as I was not a very good player. I am on it now though.

Um.....what are you going to order?

Denton, TX(Zone 7b)

Wow, I like the way you guys think. Sorry to enable you all, lol. I've been addicted to a lot of plants and now I'm thinking how could I have overlooked these beautiful Coleus?

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Okiedokie, Here's answers.
Kong are cultivars that have large leaves http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/58779/
The largest leaf I ever had was about 13" across after messenger and spray n grow. The leaves are extremly fragile. Hard to keep pretty.
Wizard Mix and Rainbow Mix are the old favorites that do well in the shade and seem to do okay from seeds. Mine however were real muddy..
Pam has really got a great batch growing in her stumpnursery.
The coleus don't come true to the plant they came from and often get muddy results. For these reasons they are propigated by cuttings.
I too bought seeds from ebay. Duh!!!
Since I'm planting outside I wont know for a while if they are any good.
.)

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Sugar and the rest of N FL.....

Tonite's going to be another tough one. I was just about ready to plant some seedling to help recover from the freeze a few weeks ago. Now, instead, I am going out to take more cuttings. ARUGH!!!!!

My Kongs did not do well at all. In fact, I started a thread asking all if they would ever grow them the following year and most said no. Too much work for ragged leaves.

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

Rosethyme,
You may not realize it, but it is we who are enabling you. Te He. We are slowly sucking you in to our made world of Coleus Craziness!!

Rankin, IL(Zone 5a)

You guys need to slow down just a little... hows one to keep up???

Between this and the chickens, my brain is about to explode... I can't hardly keep up..

So glad I have avoided most of the co ops... ok, so I cracked on the potholder one..

back to reading.

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

Edit above. May princess Tammy never be enabled. I LOST ALL MY POINTS!!

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

********Beep beeeeep.....

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

Yipes, it's 84 degrees today, and yet we have a freeze watch for tonight...what's that about???? A 50 degree difference?? That's IF I survive the tornadoes and power outages....what a weird day for Florida!
I have a couple of tiny little leaves at the bases of the frozen dried up stems of last years plants. Yippeeeee! I love survivors, although a lot of them grow out to be muddy looking.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Hi MM,

Yes, it was certainly an interesting day.

But, isn't for frost tomorrow night, not tonight?

Hap

Florence, AL

It's sleeting here at my house, proably will wake up in the morning and find a foot of snow. LOL
This weekend the weatherman is saying it will be 65*, no wonder people are sick with the crud.

How long does it take ya'll to get Ebay purchases? I've been waiting on some blue grass for about a month, keep getting emails that it's on it way, not showed up yet.

Definitely crazy FL weather! Hope we get some rain without all the other nasty stuff.

Sugarweed and Happy_1, thanks for the tidbits on the Kong Coleus. I planted both of the ones I just got, one is definitely in a much more sheltered area. We'll see how the other one does, it's all a big experiment!

New coleus-addict Q: What do you feed your coleus to keep them looking beautiful?

Cathy

Florence, AL

I feed with a time release fertilizer for veg/bedding plants. I think it's called Osmote and Miracle Gro.
Sometimes I add Epsom salt with it.

Thanks! I guess they are not all that fussy then- one more good reason to love these plants, yippee!

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Hi everyone! It's been a day around here. I'm sure happy that my work is done and now I can play & veg a bit!

Quoting:
New coleus-addict Q: What do you feed your coleus to keep them looking beautiful?

Now there's a Sugarweed question!!! She's big on fish emulsion as it makes the colors really bright. I can't remember everything that she uses so I'll let her answer. I'd have to dig through too many papers stacked up on my desk to find it. LOL

I do hope everything if Sunny Florida is back to normal and your temps don't get too cold.

Pam? You have sleet? Yuckola!

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

BTW Traci, I'm sorry that you lost all your points! How long will you have to wait now to be a princess?????

(you're already a princess to us)

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

LOL,
I do like FE, good ole stinky Fish Emulsion and I also bottom water before they get planted with H2O2, aka 1/2 cup drugstore Hydrogen Peroxide to 1 gallon of water. Will save drowning plants and stave off fungus and wilt. Takes oxygen to the little breathers we call roots.
I pump mist dilluted FE on the foliage. I have also been known to use Spray n Grow, Messenger and Bayer's 3 in one.
Ask when you first notice a problem.
I also believe in a breeze.
Sidney

Thanks for the wonderful info sugarweed! Hydrogen peroxide has become a staple in my garden shed, DH knows to look for it there instead of the bathroom closet. Guess I could get two bottles...
I'll be planning good circulation into my planting patterns too!
Thanks, Cathy

Florence, AL

Never have used H202 before, now what is the purpose and benefits. I use Epsom salt to make everything really green, is it kinda the same thing.

I started using H202 a while back in the water solution for soaking seeds with a hard coating, like morning glory, and other seeds that just take a long time to germinate, and noticed a big difference in shorter sprouting times. I also added it to my mister bottle that I water the seed trays with, and haven't had any problems with mold/fungus/damping off, even with our high humidity.
I'm not quite as precise with my measuring when in the garden, a 2 gallon watering can just gets a glug-glug-glug from the H202 bottle. From what I read, like sugarweed says, the extra oxygen gets carried to the plants' roots and they just thrive. The biggest diffenece I've seen is in lessening transplant shock.
Glad to know about the epsom salts and coleus. Roses definitely like it, and conveniently I planted coleus right around my 2 roses, yay!
Cathy

Florence, AL

I swear I learn something new everyday on the forum, thank ya'll for all your great knowledge and wisdom.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.