Any Soap Makers here??? I have some questions.

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

I recently decided to make some decorative fragrent soaps. I bought both the clear and white Glycerine bases, molds and fragrances. I have gone by the directions for the fragrent oils, but they just don't smell right to me - they don't even smell good. Does anyone else have this problem?? I even got some peppermint flavoring from the grocery store thinking it would smell better, but it doesn't.

Another question, I got some dried lavender blooms but I can't get them to mix well in the liquid soap - they just clump and float to the top of the mold. How can I fix this??

Independence, MO(Zone 5a)

Did you use enough of the fragrance oil? Also, it should be added very last. from my past life experience i remember you add it last so you do not heat out the scent. I am not sure using any kind of food flavoring for your scents, not sure that would feel good on the skin. peppermint might cause a burning sensation. Probably best to stick with cosmetic grade scents....

I usually made cold process soap but dabbled a little in the other. As for the clumping additives, maybe ad them slower and less as a time... In other words scatter them, mix, scatter, mix to get them seperated ) maybe that will help. Been a while since i made any soap... Good luck

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

Check in the soap and candle forum also.

Dahlonega, GA

there's a bunch of formulas on frugal living forum .sally

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks all.

Payson, AZ(Zone 7a)

Azalea,
If you try essential oils you will probaby have better luck. I make soap all the time and I always essentials. They are good to the last drop of soap. You will probably have to go on line and check it out. Type in soap making products and you will probably find lots of places in your area.
Hope it work, 'cause I love the good smelling soaps.
JoAnne

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

another tip is to make sure your soap base doesn't carry a scent of its own, it could distort the scent of any essential oils you add to it. As for adding lavender buds or any other herbs to your soap ( I am assuming you are using melt and pour, but the same applies for CP soaps) you need to let the soap set just a bit before adding any herbs. Adding them right away will cause them to sink right to the bottom (or in your case, float to the top), wait about 20 - 30 minutes or so, then add the herbs and stir gently to disperse them evenly thru the soap. Hope that helps.

Williamsburg, MI(Zone 4b)

If you are adding any dry ingredients to soap (like herbs or spices) mix a little of the soap base with them first and then add them to the rest of the batch. It wets them evenly and they mix better. You can't wait too long with cold pour soap. It can set up really rapidly. I add any stuff at trace, just after I add the fragrance oils and just before pouring in the moulds.

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks for all these ideas, I haven't made any since before Christmas but may start again soon.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Katg in Container Gardening has been making soap recently. She even sells it in really cute little bags. They're adorable!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images