Morning Glories in the Cottage Garden? Let's see pics!

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

becky-- do you grow any JMGs in hanging baskets?? I wonder if that would work?

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

T - I am currently germinating some in a container that is sitting in an old bird bath. These are supposed to be mounding M.G.s which are compact and not vining M.G.s. We'll see how they turn out.

I am also big on growing Petunias and Nasturtiums. Love both of them as well. And I am also a fan of 4 O'Clocks but only grow them in pots too because of how many seeds they produce and how big the tubers get. The pots sit on my backyard open patio. So if seeds fall on the ground (concrete) they aren't likely to sprout. LOL! Gotta keep em in check! I just don't have the room to let them go wild in my yard! And I am sure they would if given the opportunity.

I just saw this cool video that someone on another forum found. It shows how MG vines do their twining trick up a pole! Very neat indeed!
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=4588694

T - I have never grown MG in a hanging pot, but it might look really pretty! Worth trying! :-)

This message was edited Mar 5, 2008 8:52 PM

Medway, MA(Zone 5b)

I'm thinking that MG's wouldn't work in a hanging basket because they always tend to go upward. I don't think they'd hang like petunias do.

Interesting video!

I will look into the MG tendencies to climb or hang and see which kind would work.

The mounding sort would look lovely in a bird bath set up!

london England, United Kingdom

Hi,
Primrose Sue, sorry for the delay in my reply, I found they stood up well with the hollihocks. They seed themselves around the garden.
I tried them in hanging baskets once, they kept growing up!!
There is propably a hangimg basket hybid variety somewhere!

Thumbnail by terriculture

Oh, how pretty! With the sun shining through what could be lovelier?!

I will look for a basket variety, then.

terri-- Looks like a pretty garden. Where do you live in London?

london England, United Kingdom

Hi Tabasco, I live near Crystal Palace,South London. My garden is tiny really, but crammed with cottage style plants, which helps me to escape the city life! I have an allotment where I grow more flowers and vegetables.
My forsythia is in flower and I have some snowdrops, ribes, forget me nots and polyanthus out. It's nice the plants are starting to wake up! I haven't done any clearing up yet, just incase we get frost.

Thumbnail by terriculture

Sounds like you found a happy spot for a lot of plants! So many beautiful hidden gardens in London. We love to visit the UK--many friends there.

We lived in Little Venice neighborhood up the Edgeware Road in the 70s, and also in Fleming House in Danvers Street, Chelsea, for many years. No garden at our flat in Chelsea, but a tiny garden at the other place.

We are expecting a big snow storm tonight, so no flowers yet except a few early crocus!

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Hi Tab & all,

Loads of MG info here, thanks for bringing it up. I have some I. nil seeds from Beckygardener, and also from Bluespiral, but I thought it was a little too early to start them inside...not true?

I need to buy more 14-16" pots and do the tee pee thing that Becky has done, but I could also use tree branches, since I have a lot of those!!!

I once saw a picture (actually a line diagram witht he words in Japanese) where you are supposed to pinch MGs after the 7th leaf -- about 9-11" above ground, so it might be sets of leaves, not individual leaves. The point is, I think they get fuller and better looking if you keep pinching them, though it will delay bloom.

Do any of you pinch yours? I'll try to google for it tomorrow and see if I can find anything, although Tab is the Google Queen. :)

Here's a I. nil aka JMG aka Japanese Morning Glory I grew inside from seed. As you can see from outside the window, it is about this time of year.

Suzy

This message was edited Mar 8, 2008 1:11 AM

Thumbnail by Illoquin

Nice pic of your MG.

Yes, I saw the pinching/pruning MG page also. I think I may have 'tagged' a link to it (I'm trying to 'tag' some of the best posts I find on DG) and will try to look it up. I would like to pinch and prune a bit too. The Japanese do it to their competitive MGs to get a plant that is 'show worthy', or so I've heard.

Maybe this is the 'pinching' page: http://protist.i.hosei.ac.jp/asagao/yoneda_db/E/Introduction/htmls/37.html

Here's a DG thread on Pinching too: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/698560/

I started my MG nil seeds, but I think it's too early, too. I never expected them to germinate so quickly. But I did read one thread about growing MGs indoors, which you do so well, anyway, so why not!?

This message was edited Mar 8, 2008 6:28 AM

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Suzy, I'm amazed! I didn't think a MG would do so well indoors! That gives me great hope for these I accidentally started. I've never started them early before, just direct sown. Then, I've never grown the "special" ones either...and now I'm wondering why...hmmmm...need to fix that, LOL. The Japanese MGs are soooo lovely! I'd never heard or thought of pinching them, and it makes such good sense! I suppose it would be the same for Moonvine?

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Wow, what a thread - those Purple Blizzards are amazing and I love all of the mixtures... I've nothing to boast about, only wild ones I've found on my walks.

However, an angel sent me a surprise package with a number of different seeds that I'm going to try to get going here soon - so I, too, might become an addict with pics to share - I HOPE!

Until then, the wild 'uns... yes, that's my little finger.

Thumbnail by Pagancat

And another wild one - probably just like your heavenly blue, just a different type of leaf.

Thumbnail by Pagancat
Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

I can't find the photo, but had one growing up a shepards hook type hanger that I stuck in the ground to hang a bird feeder from. I liked how it look there!

Speaking of growing up the shepherd's hook, I saw this Morning Glory Topiary which looks like an interesting treatment for a patio container.

http://www.logees.com/prodinfo.asp?number=R1952-2

I have never purchased from Logee's but it certainly has a range of interesting plants (of course, I'm trying to grow everything from seed this year so I can't sample any of their offerings!) (-:

pagancat--do you know the name of your little red/yellow morning glory? It seems like it might be one that is featured on the Morning Glory forum from time to time.

Port Matilda, PA(Zone 6a)

I think it is I. luteola 'Sunspots'. Sue

No idea whatsoever - there's another one almost identical, except it's pure white. Will be looking for plants/ seeds this summer... it was so dry here last summer that I don't think many grew, or at least well.

It looks like Orange Noah to me:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/51759/

Cute tiny blooms! I believe hummingbirds love to nectar from them! :-)

Yuppers, that's definitely them

So, do you think they're native, or an escapee from some one's garden?

Pagancat - I don't know if they are native to TN. I think Texas and South America, maybe. Definitely some vines I would keep and enjoy in my yard! :-)

T - Love the MG topiary idea! Might try that one myself. :-)

Pine City, MN(Zone 3b)

I grow morning glories on everything in the yard. Dead trees, rummage sale shoe racks that fasten on the back of closet doors, lattace that you use to go around the bottom of trees, bird house poles and this is on the school bell tower in front of my red barn...

Thumbnail by jbpb
Pine City, MN(Zone 3b)

this is how the morning glories took over a wooden pole on the edge of my garden, have them planted in the back half of a half wooden barrel.

Thumbnail by jbpb
Pine City, MN(Zone 3b)

this is another one of the bird house trellis's that the MG's took over.

Thumbnail by jbpb

Those are darling pictures!!!! The red house front is to die for! I wish I could figure out how to attach somehting like that to my garage, but it's brick. And it's HOT brick in the summer.

Any chance you can take a pic of the last one, the bird house trellis, so we can see what it looks like without any covering? I would LOVE one just like it here at my house!

Suzy

This message was edited Mar 25, 2008 12:00 PM

How Cute is that!!??

Do the birds nest in the little houses?

Pine City, MN(Zone 3b)

Went out this afternoon and got some pictures of the skeletons that the morning glories climb up on...have two of the bird house trellis's, hubby makes them out of old barnwood. Just hammers in a board here and there. As you can tell we have plenty of snow left, we are collecting and cooking maple sap down now and its tough going in the woods with the 4 wheelers.. This is such an ugly time of the year in Minnesota.
Some of the bird house's will be used, others the squirrels have made the holes to big on, they will actually go in and out of the bird houses.

Thumbnail by jbpb
Pine City, MN(Zone 3b)

another bird house trellis out by the south end of the pole barn.

Thumbnail by jbpb

Those are wonderful! Thanks! -- I am sending dh the pictures...he'll have a conniption, but at least it isn't boring holes into his precious house. LOL!

Suzy

Pine City, MN(Zone 3b)

look what the mg's do to the windmill.

Thumbnail by jbpb
Pine City, MN(Zone 3b)

another view

Thumbnail by jbpb
South/Central, FL(Zone 9a)

Very pretty, jbpb. : ) You have a lovely yard. Love the morning glories, and the birdhouses. Thanks for sharing your pictures. : )
~Lucy

(Louise) Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

look closely to the right of this pic. Morning glories on the fence and the shambling mound to the right is a shepherds hook with a hummingbird feeder. The feeder is no where in sight!

Thumbnail by lavender4ever
South/Central, FL(Zone 9a)

Yep, those MG's hide stuff. lol : ) I found one of my rakes, after our little freeze. : )
~Lucy

LOL, Lucy!

All the MG photos are great! Love what all of you have used to grow them on! Such character and beauty!

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

lavender, that little secret garden is adorable! Such inviting, old fashioned charm awaits those who enter the gate. I love how its like entering another realm!

Thanks , I love it too. It is just the side garden and a view from the sunroom. The left side of the gate(not shown) has ponds and waterfall.

Libby, MT(Zone 4b)

lavender4ever: How many seeds do you plant to have the full look? How far apart do you space them?

That was just one plant on the shepherds hook. A volunteer that popped up near the patio I just routed it to the shepherds hook and it kept growing and growing lol.

Libby, MT(Zone 4b)

Thanks lavender.

jbpb: I'll ask you the same question. In your photo's your plants look so full, how many plants do you plant? Your morning glories look so healthy. I've never grown them and really want to try this year. I see you are in a colder zone like me. Do you self sow? If you do, when do you self sow? How often do you water? Thanks DM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.