Morning Glories in the Cottage Garden? Let's see pics!

(Louise) Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

I planted star of yelta three seasons ago and that is one tenacious plant. It seeded itself the next year and I just pulled up the ones I did not want taking over. I let it grow on the fence and on the shepherds hook. As for the other plants I always plant closely with anything I plant. I do water ever day in the heat of the summer or every other day. If we get rain I don't bother. Our summers can bake the plants if I don't water often. I also use pelleted fertilizer but I do not fertilize the morning glories at all. Those all started from one packet of morning glories. If you leave your vines up all winter they will fall out and self sow in the spring when you take them down. Other wise remove the vines in late summer to check the seeding. I don't mind the seeding though, they are easy to pull up.

Texas/Okla central b, United States(Zone 7b)

mg growing up an old umbrella without fabric

Thumbnail by jackieshar
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

What a cute idea! I'll have to remember that when yard sale shopping!

Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

Very cute idea!

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

I love that!!

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Jackie! What a fun idea!

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Could that color be possible??? Amazing.

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

The Blue Morning Glory looks like "Heavenly Blue". Just beautiful!!

Libby, MT(Zone 4b)

I have never planted morning glories. I have a tall pole about 6 feet in the center of a whiskey barrel with chicken wire around the pole. I want to plant morning glory in the barrel so the vines will climb the pole. How many seeds do I need to plant and how far to space to get a full look? Thanks

Middleburgh, NY

Our son made this 10 foot tall obelisk 5 years ago when he was a senior in high school. The morning glories love scrambling up it.

Thumbnail by herbalbetty
Texas/Okla central b, United States(Zone 7b)

yes, it was Heavenly Blue on the umbrella

This one on the blue bird house

Thumbnail by jackieshar

Dig, I would plant a whole packet and thin them to the strongest ones, maybe six. Make sure they get plenty of water as poor dry soil makes them a little spindly. My container morning glories are always a little more restrained than in the ground. Although they say not to fertilize them in the ground to promote flowers, in a container I do fertilize and they seem to appreciate it.

Wow! I love the ten foot pole obelisk! Very beautiful! Your son has a great product there! He could sell them to all of us!

Libby, MT(Zone 4b)

Thank you Lavender and also thanks on the pointer to fertilize in a container.

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

I'm trying my first seeds..... evidently these are not the "Just stick 'em in the ground!" type.... *sigh*....

Middleburgh, NY

Thanks Tabasco, I'll tell him. Shipping would be a bear though! We tried to get him to make a bunch of trellises and such for us to sell, but his attention waned.

Betty - The 10' obelisk your son made is AWESOME!!!

Jackie - Love the MGs on the birdhouse post!

Here is a photo of a large container with a fan trellis stuck in it the middle of the pot. This is a Yaguruma Blizzard cross that seems to really love it's home! :-) It's sharing it's home with the Trumpet Creeper vine that I have to contain so that it doesn't take over my entire yard and house! LOL!

Thumbnail by beckygardener

Here is a close-up of the top of the trellis and all the blooms!

Thumbnail by beckygardener
Libby, MT(Zone 4b)

Do morning glories only flower in the morning?

Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

Mine always open in the morning and close by afternoon. I can't recall them opening again until the next morning--so that is a yes. LOL!

star of yelta stay open to about 2pm on a hot day(here). On a cool or overcast day they stay open all day. Alot of others close up sooner.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Becky, that cultivar is stunning!

Libby, MT(Zone 4b)

Thanks everyone

Middleburgh, NY

Becky, those morning glories are wonderful.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Love that 10 foot tall obelisk and the umbrella idea. Here are some that grew up a piece of chain link fence thrown over a privacy fence and then on up to the peak of the garage a few years ago.

Thumbnail by lincolnitess
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Some Japanese ones growing in a pot.

Wow, so pretty ...

lincolnitess - I have to agree ... those blooms are stunning!!! Do you know the name of the cultivar of morning glory?

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

That's Maisugata. It bloomed so late that I wasn't able to save any seeds from it. Here are a couple other Japanese ones.

lincolntess, those MGs are so pretty. Are the dark blue ones from this spring? Do you already have them in bloom?

I have a few growing from seeds planted in March but the vines are small and the blooms scarce.

This message was edited May 18, 2008 7:48 AM

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Thanks! These photos are from a couple years ago. The Japanese ones are slow to start here. I did not plant any this year. Decided to put Hyacinth Vines on the chain link and garage area this year, plus planted a new climbing rose on the garage, so don't have much vine room left. I miss them.

Susan

T - Be sure to fertilize them every 2-3 weeks when you water them with Bloom Booster by MiracleGro. They also need plenty of sunlight (preferably morning sun, afternoon shade). A couple of weeks after using BB around the roots, you should start seeing more buds and blooms! Be sure to post a photo here!

Susan - MGs are a favorite of mine. I do a LOT of swapping seeds with other folks for MG seeds. I went right to my 3-ring binder to look to see if I happen to have seeds for Maisugata and sure enough ... I DID!!! So I am planting seeds of that one today in my garden. It's just beautiful. Thanks for sharing your photo with all of us! :-)

Oh, thanks for telling me about the MG bloombooster, becky. I have not fertilized them, thinking the potting mix had enough for them, but maybe not. Will do it tomorrow.

I do have a few pretty blooms and I hope more on the way. I wish it would warm up a little bit though...I think my MGs are a little chilly.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.