Check out the winners in our Annual Photo Contest Here

The Go Gardening contest with great prizes

As you all know, Go Gardening is our "local" counterpart to the Garden Watchdog and covers local nurseries, public gardens, farmers markets, etc. Ideally it is used to help gardeners all over find the best local nurseries and so forth, and that's where reviews come in. Just like in the Watchdog, nurseries in Go Gardening are reviewed.

My desire is that Go Gardening becomes complete, where we have listed most or all of the local resources in each and every region of the country (or world!). So, it's in that line of thinking that I setup a contest for Go Gardening. Here's how it will work:

A total of 5 winners will be revealed on June 1st. The top 3 winners will be selected based on:

1) How many new entries they added to Go Gardening.
2) How many reviews they posted and the quality/length/helpfulness of the reviews.
3) How many photos they have added to entries.

The 4th and 5th place winners will be selected by a secret panel of judges who will chose the final two winners based on more subjective means (quality, helpfulness, etc).

The contest begins immediately, and all reviews, photos and entries you may have added starting January 1st of this year will retroactively count toward this contest.

I really want this contest to be successful, and to produce a lot of reviews and entries, so I have worked with a sponsor of DG to give us some excellent prizes.

Dynamite Plant Food http://www.dynamiteplantfood.com/ is a friend of DG and has been wanting to sponsor DG for some time, and they have graciously agreed to sponsor this contest. They will be awarding the winners gift certificates to the winners' choice of any mailorder company that is in the Top 30 of the Garden Watchdog.

The first place winner gets a $250 gift certificate to the GWD Top 30 company of their choice.

Second through Fifth place winners get a $100 gift certificate to the GWD Top 30 company of their choice.

These are generous prizes, and I'd like to give a special thanks to Dynamite Plant Food for providing them.

Any questions?

dave

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5a)

If we add a review to an already-listed nursery, does that "count"? Or is it new locations only?

Edited to add, this should be fun! And just what I need this time of year--an excuse to go plant-shopping! Thanks, Dave! :)

This message was edited Mar 11, 2008 3:13 PM

Only one nursery in my area and I have already reviewed it .. I'll have to look into other ways I can contribute! Good luck everybody
:-)

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

angele, are there any pumpkin patches, public gardens, parks, u-picks, orchards, christmas tree farms, landscaping companies, community-supported ag (CSA) farms, etc? Those all count ;o)

Thanks for the tips Terry! We have a farmer's market. Time to find out what else my community has to offer :-)

tucsonjill, adding a review to an existing nursery (or park, farmers market, etc) sure counts as a point.

Calvert City, KY(Zone 7a)

Good to know, Dave, because both nurseries here are already on the list, however, would be fun to visit them and take photos, etc. Both families of both nurseries were some of my former students. It will be fun. Thanks.

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

So I can add to one that is already listed?

I just did, Tilly, it was listed but had no rating or comment, so I added both then also added a photo. It is only 2 miles from my house, so was easy to do. It is also my favorite.

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Thanks, I have a nursery to just love here, the owner is one of Us a DGer. where do I post my int re?

On the homepage I went to Products and Sources, clicked on Go Gardening, then entered my zip code and found where it was already listed, clicked on it and the rest is easy to do. Just follow the steps.

There are a few more within a short drive so will do them as well I think. It was fun, and I got to see all the new stuff!!

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Thank you Sharran, Will pass this on.

As far as the contest is concerned, Tilly, I am not sure how Dave keeps up with that. I just did it for fun and because I love to visit nurseries. I gave me another excuse, but as for reporting what we do, I don't know how or if we are supposed to.

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

I entered mine we'll see, you are above me, we were the only two, that I saw.

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

I did notice that our nursery was not Listed, I don't know how that happened because we did list it.MMMM

tillysrat, what's the name of the nursery?

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Dragonfly Farms In Hannsville Wash.

Looks like you added photos (yesterday) and a comment (last October) already: http://davesgarden.com/products/go/view/17996/

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

I found it after I sent, made Boo Boo
Thanks Terry

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

I thought I uploaded 5 photos to an entry (Alwerdt's Gardens) made previously, but when I click on where the photo should be, it goes to my DG home page. Is something amiss here?

I see them here: http://davesgarden.com/products/go/view/2212/

Great photos, all of you!

Photos sure add a lot to the listings! I'll be taking some too but will wait till these 50mph winds stop! Ah, Springtime in New Mexico!!

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Terry,
I followed your link and got to several rectangular boxes which say By jmorth in each one and when I click on it , it still goes to my homepage.
J

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Actually it goes to my member page.

jmorth, when I click right on the pictures it opens a new window with the large size photo. If you have pop ups blocked you might have to do a right click and select open in new window. I have a pop up blocker but have disabled it for DG.

Your photos are gorgeous by the way.

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

thanks angele
tried your remedy, turned off pop up blocker...still same result (my member page)...

Menasha, WI(Zone 5a)

I don't think I could afford to review anymore new ones ;)

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Terry, I just notice my new comment, with the photos is not there. the photos are. Should I do it again. and add more Pics

tillysrat, I see it just fine. It is dated October 17, 2007 and is third down from the top of the reviews.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Tilly, are you talking about the captions on your photos? Those only show up if you click on the picture to enlarge it.

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

I think thats is what I did, having problems with my computer, lost everything now trying to get it back.
Thanks All
Tills

Is there a way to keep track of the Go Gardening entries we make? More importantly, how do you (DG Admins) keep track of how many entries each person makes? I don't really want to know the 'how' of it, I really just want to know that you are :-)
Thanks!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

If you click on your username (or go to My Info), it'll show you what you've contributed to Go Gardening (as well as Plant Files, Garden Watchdog, etc). And you don't have to worry about Dave and the admins keeping track of entries--they wouldn't have started the contest if they didn't have a way to know who entered what during the contest period!

Thanks Ecrane3. In my info it shows that I have made 1 comment and 1 review in Go Gardening. That is correct. I'm wondering about the other kinds of contributions we make to Go Gardening. No offense whatsoever is intended by the question.

New Hampshire, NH(Zone 5b)

Dave, just a thought....could you extend the deadline by a couple weeks? Around here, most garden centers do not open until the last weekend in April or even May. The ones that do open earlier only have the usual pansies and potted bulbs. I'd already rated all the places I have been to, but I'd love to use this contest as an excuse to check out all the others I haven't :o)

SongsofJoy, good idea. I moved it to June 1st so that our friends in the "great white north" can get the full participation, too.

angele, the system tracks all entries made, whether they are new entries, new reviews, or new photos. I then have an internal report that I will run that will count them all up and show me the total numbers.

best,
dave

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Thanks for expanding the deadline! Our garden centers don't open until about May either.

Here's what my report looks like, FYI.

Thumbnail by dave

Thank you Dave! If I can just find enough resources to enter I plan on wearing my fingers to the bone! LOL!

BTW, after I enter a company name in the search box I keep clicking on the little yellow folder for tags.. somebody smack me up-side the head!!! I'm such a slow learner!!
:-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images