Spring Has Sprung! .... at least i hope so!!

Lufkin, TX(Zone 8b)

thought i would start a new thread for spring flowers since the last one was getting so long. here is a shot of my very first iris to bloom from the ones i planted last fall. i was soooo excited!

tracie

Lufkin, TX(Zone 8b)

another iris that just bloomed. most of my new iris are NOID ones that i got in trade from nice folks on this forum. this one really glistens in the sun.

Lufkin, TX(Zone 8b)

i got this delphinium from a local big box store, really suprised that i bloomed so early. i hear they dont do to well in our heat.

Lufkin, TX(Zone 8b)

planted a border of cyclamen, boy the scent is so nice!

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

All right! Fun to see the Iris blooms already. Mine haven't delivered yet. I have purple, the early whites which don't look promising this year and a yellow that is tempermental! LOL Good luck with the Delphinium. I've no experience. Hope it does well.

Lufkin, TX(Zone 8b)

after kinda sitting there and growing all winter, the snaps are really starting to put on a show!

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

great looking plants.............very exciting as I miss both delphiniums and irises!!

Lufkin, TX(Zone 8b)

podster,
good to hear from you! do you have much luck with iris in our weather? i have heard that it is hard to have the bearded iris do well here. as i said, this is my first year with them and so far, so good. i only have one other bloom stalk about to open, but i am pretty happy since i didnt know if any would bloom this year! i am hoping to get more colors, especially want some pink ones. i have to ration my obsessions, right now mostly daylilies, oh yeah, and bulbs, and.... i bet you know how it is!

my daughter begged me to buy her a new baby yesterday. got it home and potted up and look what it gave us today! never have grown tropical hibiscus before, so far so good!

tracie

Lufkin, TX(Zone 8b)

thanks gessiegail! i am defineately in the more is more catagory of gardeners. i planted over 3500 bulbs this winter and some are blooming, such as the daffs and grape hyacinth. today i planted a ton of seeds. never really grow stuff from seed because i want it NOW, not in a couple of months! lol thought i would try it, spend way too much on flowers!

here is another daff that just started blooming, i like the white and yellow.

Tropical Hibiscus are lovely. I have had one many years but be prepared to overwinter it in shelter. Mine will be slow this year as I let a frost nip the leaves. It is putting on the leave growth now but won't bloom for a bit.

I think my Iris have been in ground too long. I have neglected them. They did far better when first planted. I also love the daylilies but they bloom for such a short time. Rather sad to see them fade. The Hibiscus will keep you in blooms for the summer.

Lufkin, TX(Zone 8b)

my neighbors white bush, i think my nanny called them bridal wreath.

Lufkin, TX(Zone 8b)

i am kinda worried about that with the daylilies. i really love a lot of color in my flower beds, so i am planting a bunch of other flowers in with the daylilies. hopefully, they will give color after most of the daylilies are over with. here are some of my new bulbs, planted 800 species crocus in my yard. it is so much fun to go out and look for the new babies each morning!

Ahhh... Spirea Bridal Wreath it is! Mine only has buds.

Did you plant the crocus in amongst the grass? 800? Wow!

Lufkin, TX(Zone 8b)

mine barely has a few flowers, i dont know why hers are already in full bloom. i understand that iris can really stop blooming if not divided. i also really fertilize and baby my plants. they have already been sprayed twice with Messenger w/ Mighty Plant, sprinkled with Epson Salt, given slow realease Miracle Grow fertilizer, sprinkled with Bayer Systemic Rose Food with insect and disease protection. all that on top of new, raised beds enriched with mushroom compost!

Columbine

Lufkin, TX(Zone 8b)

oh yeah, right into the grass. it really wasnt as hard as it sounds. i used a sharp tool, stabbed into the soil, pulled it back, dropped in a bulb or two and pulled the tool out, sealing the hole behind it. you can get a bunch done in not that much time. now, the other bulbs, like the tulips, hyacinth, daffs, dutch iris, etc, etc, took a lot more time. had to make sure they were pointed the right way and dug to the correct depth, etc. i planted about 400 tulips, have never had them before. i really hope they give me good show. i chilled them for a couple of months in the fridge and planted them in Jan. they are coming up now, cant wait!

Osteospermum
Lemon Symphony

Lufkin, TX(Zone 8b)

ok, here are my favorite little flowers!

Alex and Victoria!!

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

great looking flowers, aggiegrl and great looking kids, too!

It was 90 degrees yesterday and supposed to be the same today. Look what I found on the front porch when I started watering..........

Lufkin, TX(Zone 8b)

OMG that is really beautiful! i just love going out and finding new things every day. that is why spring is my favorite season! just found my first tulip bud and my first bud on the anemones that i planted.

tracie

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

My college room mate was from Lufkin (I am almost 66 years old) and I remember our fun we had going to see her parents. I am so impressed that you planted so many bulbs. I wish we could plant them and expect success!
gail

Lufkin, TX(Zone 8b)

Gail,
do you not have much luck in your area with bulbs? i know here a lot of bulbs either dont do too well or wont return due to the lack of consistant cold in the winter. however, there are a lot of bulbs that will do well and naturalize for us here.

tracie

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I think you are just cold enough for bulbs to do well. We just had 3 freezes this winter which lasted on about an hour so bulbs don't do much down here. I take that back. Amaryllis bulbs come back faithfully each year, but not the ones we think of as early spring like daffodils, crocus, etc....................

I do have hoyas and orchids blooming along with many cane and rex begonias..........

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

begonias galore are blooming.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

another B

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I think I have to type or the pic doesn't show

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I will switch to hoyas next

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

iris love the North Texas area, and central Texas area should be fine. Had over 300 Iris here and most loved living here and spread wonderfully. Daylilies are funny things some do great and well some are not so great - look for and only buy evergreens, the dormants dont like it here, and the semi dormants dont always but the evergreens do really good and stand strong.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I promise these are my outside blooms right now.............

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Several new hoya baskets starting to bloom
obscura i do believe

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Ok.................last pic of blooms for now...............I wish I could show you something in bloom in the ground right now...........but our winds and gusts to 55 and 60 prevent most early spring blooms of any kind if they don't have protection like my front porch does...............although the poly has been off for a week now........

Lufkin, TX(Zone 8b)

i hope my dormant dl will do ok, i just got them based on their pretty faces! lol if i am not mistaken Jack Carpenter, that has his Lily Farm in Center, produces dormants that he says do really well there. beautiful flowere gail. it must be nice to have an even longer blooming season than us!

tracie

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

At one time - long story - I was going to breed Dls and sell them after some 800 or some named and 500 or so of my own to look at I fully gave up on anything being there year to year that was not evergreen. If he can get them to work it would be wonderful and I hope some crossbreeding will take place to get us more flowers to work with.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Oh......come on Mitch.......say hello and I will leave you be.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

lol - Hello all!

What stuning hoyas - never had the time to get into them, or extra space. But a stunning and wonerful plant!

Red Oak, TX

gessiegail, your pictures are lovely, especially the hoyas. I might get me a few this year.

What a pretty color Rita! What am I looking at?

BTW, we will defy you to just get "a few" Hoya... 8 )

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I am glad you have a big sense of humor, Mitch! (LOL)..............we were both typing at the same time.

Yes, I remember when I said I was just going to get a couple of hoyas...........now I have at least 25 of them swinging in the wind.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

25! How big do they get - all I have seen was huge hanging pots and well I just dont have that type of room!

Dallas, TX

My Helleborus bloom :)

right behind is Ajuga blooming

This message was edited Mar 16, 2008 2:25 PM

Dallas, TX

my plums ...

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.