Wanted: Info on Chocolate Cosmos

Palmyra, VA(Zone 7a)

I saw a post on gw regarding to this particular variety in which someone asked for seeds. Someone else responded that seeds are infertile.

Is this true?

Jody, where did you get the info on these cosmos? Do you have any plants or seeds?

Thanks,
Tim

This message was edited Monday, Sep 10th 1:33 PM

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

from what ive heard you can only get them from the plant not the seed. not sure-i have neither!

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

Hi Tim
Sorry I don't have the plant or seeds, wish I did, all I have is common cosmos. From what I understand they can be grown from seed quite easily...they produce tubers that can be lifted much like dahlias. Check this site out...it isn't where I got my info but helpful...my info usually comes from a lot sources...I like to research a plant from various places because you can't necessarily rely on the info from one. I can give you some other reference for it if you'd like but perhaps this site will at least give you some basic info. :)
http://gardening.sierrahome.com/encyc/display/1,1073,22105,00.html?start=0&SearchType=keyword&ResultsPerPage=20&StartPage=1&EndPage=1&SearchKeywords=cosmos

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

hi all

I have the plants in question and replied to posts on GW.

my plants never set seed because the heads always rot. however they root really easy from young fresh growth in the spring.

they also multiply from tuber divisions.

Mark
Northern Ireland

Palmyra, VA(Zone 7a)

Hi Mark,

Welcome to Dave's!

Thanks for the info on the chocolate cosmos. Too bad you are not in the States, I would love to have a plant or two.

Tim

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

hi there,

If I had enough tubers everyone could get a piece.

what about cuttings in the spring? no stampedes, please

Mark

Palmyra, VA(Zone 7a)

Me! I would love to have a cutting.
What about international regulations, I know we can send seeds, I'm not sure about plants.

Tim

Ladysmith, BC(Zone 8a)

Hi Tim, Yes the chocolate Cosmos are true. About 10 years ago I was in England and a friend had them in her garden, the smell just about drove this 'chocoholic' mad. I took some seeds from her but never germinated them. Somewhere in my messy house are the seeds. Will have to search them out and plant them, maybe next year will have seeds to share.

They do smell of chocolate, and now that I am a Diabetic and cannot enjoy that little pleasure, will have to plant some plants that remind me of chocolate, and what I am now missing!! ??

Palmyra, VA(Zone 7a)

Gardendragon,

My future father-in-law is a diabetic. Early this year wwe were in Virginia for a wedding, we found a candy factory-store that carries all types, even the sugar free chocolate. I'm not sure if that is as good as the regular chocolate, but if you are interested I can find out the name of the place and pass it to you.

TIm

Ladysmith, BC(Zone 8a)

Thanks for your offer Tim. Actually the drug stores carry 'sugar free' chocolate bars. Just cost about 4 times regular chocolate bars!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.