Some of my Noid Amaryllas

Wauchula, FL(Zone 9b)

This one is a rosy red

Thumbnail by Rene10
Wauchula, FL(Zone 9b)

These are a red & white striped I have had for years. I have many of them!

Thumbnail by Rene10
Solingen, Germany(Zone 7a)

The red flower has a particularly noble shape.
The striped specimen as well, and an appealing color pattern

I perceive No-Ids here and there, and among these are some which do not mean anything to me. But, others are spectacular beauties, pleasant to behold, and, with their capability of awakening feelings of wild exotic nature they easily let those over-bred hybrids with ov er-broad flower segments behind.

If I had the striped hybrid available I would dust H.papilio with it, in the very next occasion. Well, at least I had the opportunity to pollinate my butterfly amaryllis with "Gilmar" (and it has obviously taken) - that is already good for awakening wild conceptions of terrific blooms...

Another No-ID: "Anne

Thumbnail by haweha
Mobile, AL

Rene,

I think I have a NOID red that is extremely similiar to yours. I'll see if I can find the pic and the source for the bulb.

Hans!

You know what question I am going to ask, or you should by now!?!?!

Does that mean that you are now convinced that Gilmar is indeed a Diploid? Or do I need to test for that again this year?

Thanks!

Ann

Mobile, AL

Rene,

Look and see if this is like yours. It was purchased from Home Depot and labeled simply 'Dark Red'.

I have another that is just labeled Home Depot Red. I will have to find it and post later.

Thumbnail by HSteacher
Mobile, AL

This one is labeled 'Home Depot Red'. When I say Home Depot Red, that means the bulb was purchased as simply 'Red' from Home Depot.

Thumbnail by HSteacher
Wauchula, FL(Zone 9b)

Sure looks like it! I have no idea where mine came from. I have collected over the years from family & friends and an occasional one from WM. This year my DD gave me 5 bulbs for Christmas. Red Pearl {which I love] Dancing queen, Double Record, Nymph, & Red Peacock from JS. I have enjoyed them.

Mobile, AL

Rene!

It's definitely okay to have Noids! Some are absolutely adoreable, like these, and you just have to learn to accept some of them for being what they are 'Noids', but that does not make them less desirable.

It's okay! They are still fantastic!

Quite frankly, I adore buying NOIDS! They are CHEAP!

Hugs!

Ann

Solingen, Germany(Zone 7a)

Does that mean that you are now convinced that Gilmar is indeed a Diploid?
HSteacher asked

Not really. I think that I indicated elsewhere, my presumption, that it be a TET. Actually it is, regarding "ploidy" a... No-ID for me! *Smiling*
But, that will come to light when I shall finally open that seed pod. The kind of its stuffing will instantly give me the revelation we are both longing for so badly.

Mobile, AL

My Gilmar will bloom in a couple of weeks. American Voodoo is about to open and will bloom in the next day or two, and Supreme Garden has another couple of weeks.

Please do keep me informed so that I do not have to make erroneous trials unnecessarily.

Thanks in Advance!

Ann

Aschaffenburg, Germany

I was wondering what HAWEHA meant by stuffing, I personally use stuffing for poultry...

Now I see, this is where Hans-Werner gets his revelations from, from stuffing...

Gofast

Ewing, VA

Gilmar can be a dip or a tet in my experience. I call these kinds the "universal" ploidy...lol! I don't know the scientific name for it.

Aschaffenburg, Germany

Good observation, on your part, Maria, I have observed that with other commercial ones, too. Can you give me another example from your experience? I think Charisma is that way inclined, too.

Martin

Ewing, VA

Gilmar has very strong specie genes in it. It was discovered in the Brazilain jungles and named after it's discoverer...Gilmar. Unfortunately, after too much reproduction, the Gilmars now in the market are somehow different already. The flower form is changed, the reticulation almost lost and the fertility to reporduce with both the dips and the tets gone. :-( The commercial growers are just now selling them as simply "red and white" variety. So sad...

Martin...YES, the older production/stock of Charisma is one of them. You will notice that the varieties that will sometimes be perform as dips and/or tets are the old varieties that come from the older stocks/production. A lot (not all) of the newly relesed varieties now are self sterile ( will not accept any pollens) in my experience. If in case they do, it would be a very lucky one. Why this is happening, I don't know. I am not a scientist or a biologist. All I can think of is maybe from too much crossing.

On the other hand, you will be amazed of how these new varieties' pollens are accepted by both dips and tets. The ploidy rule is not followed in their cases. You can never really tell what Mother Nature has in store for you.

Supreme Garden and Lovely Garden are one of those. Maybe because of their closeness to the species too. My very first Supreme Garden ( 2006 harvest) was like Gilmar. The most recently acquired Supreme Garden is not. Now there are two clones of Supreme Garden in the market. One grown in Holland and one grown in Brazil. Which one is which...I don't know again. The very first released Supreme Garden had smaller flowers.

I am NOT an expert. These are just my observations with my work on my hippeastrums here in my growing conditions and under my growing practices.

Thumbnail by mariava7
Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Maria, Interesting what you say about Supreme Garden. I got 2 clumps from B and B, at the same time, and the clumps contain 2 entirely different blooms. One type has a smaller and more compact flower, the second type has a slightly larger, and "flatter" flower. I wonder if they are selling both clones interchangably, and its a matter of luck which one you get.

Wauchula, FL(Zone 9b)

My noids are starting to spike I have 2 open

Thumbnail by Rene10
Aschaffenburg, Germany

I think the recent tendency of Dutch bulbs not to cross so readily may be a result of deliberate selection for this property by the growers. I would think that they are not interested in other people/laypersons making crosses but want to sell their clones instead...

Martin

Cape Coral, FL(Zone 10a)

Here are my NOID, someone said it was johnsonii but some one else said it's not. These bulbs been here for a long time. These are orange red.

This message was edited Feb 11, 2009 3:07 PM

Thumbnail by Sunshinesw
Cape Coral, FL(Zone 10a)

These are more orange color and the flowers are large.

Thumbnail by Sunshinesw
Ewing, VA

Rene...That red and white noid of yours is for me...very beautiful! It is looking very similar to my first Gilmar but has more reticulation/veins.

Sunshine...Your 2 noids are pretty too specially that red trumpet.

These old garden varieties will be very good to stocks for breeding for their ability to flourish in the gardens for years. Leenen of Holland is working on these "Hardy Garden Series" and have released a few of their stocks. If they will be as strong as these "garden noids"...we still have to see.

Bsharf...My very first Supreme Garden came from B&B and it came with that tag "Product of Holland". There is a new stock of Supreme Garden now that are tagged as "Brasbonitas" grown in Brazil. You can see SG in their website. I have noticed recently that B&B has been offering varieties that are in the Brasbonitas website. It could be possible that they are getting some of their stocks from Brazil which are a lot cheaper than Dutch grown.

Martin....That is TRULY one very good point to consider. If it is true though, I find that very cheap and impractical. One can easily propagate their "treasured" varieties through tissue culture. It would take a lot more years for sombody to make money out of producing a new hybrid from their products. If ever they are selfed, the results would almost certainly NOT be the same. So what are they scared of?

Unfortunately, the trend of hippeastrum hybridizing has been focused on producing a hybrid with a beautiful and unusual/different and "NEW" flower so that they can sell good in the cut flower business where the REAL $$$ is. They are not bred for the purpose of producing a strong variety that will survive in the gardens for years. In fact, in the commercial greenhouses, if a certain variety which has been blooming for cut flower has already grown to be a mature and big plants, they take them out of production. Why? Because, they occupy more space in the greenhouses. There, the plant/square meter of growing space is very important. More plants/square meter means more flower scapes/square meter which means more $$$/square meter. They don't care if the variety is a robust and good grower. It's all about the $$$. :-( This is the reason why Residence and Striped Panther are taken out. It is so sad to think that such very good varieties are cut off for such reason. The strong ones are taken out to give way to the weaker ones? What else can we expect in the future with the hippeastrums....

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

pretty amaryllis all.... interesting about the growers. I just purchase 50 older unnamed variety bulbs. May try crossing them to see what I get.
Elaine

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.