SOLVED: HELP ME!! What r these seeds I saved?

Reedsburg, WI(Zone 4b)

I am not sure if these are from my garden or something someone gave me? I did sow some of these seeds today but would sure like to know what they are before I plant them out.

Any guesses?

Thumbnail by sjweld
Mequon, WI(Zone 4b)

Are they petunias?

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Maybe Morning Glory?

Take a look at this photo of Morning Glory seed. http://www.elephantos.com/images/DSCN0924kopie.jpg

This message was edited Mar 22, 2008 6:48 PM

Reedsburg, WI(Zone 4b)

the flower sitting there is what they came out of. Does that look like either of the flowers mentioned above?

Pine Island, NY

snapdragon?

San Gerardo de Rivas, Costa Rica(Zone 12b)

Delphinium? Morning glory seeds are much bigger than those in the photo!

This message was edited Mar 22, 2008 11:09 PM

Reedsburg, WI(Zone 4b)

not morning glory. These are much rounder than the pic of m.g. seeds. They are like very tiny balls.

Could they be, oh now I can't think of the flower. Oh wait, Lilly of the Valley. What do you think? I know I have a few of those in an odd spot but I don't remember saving seeds. My MIL will be here tomorrow and she gave me a few seeds from her house. I'll see if she recognizes them.

Yes, Lily-of-the-Valley is a definite possibility. Your seeds are roughly 30x smaller than a Morning glory seed by the way. The seeds could be 1000's of things sjweld, not to be rude. That little dried seed capsule doesn't provide too much information either I'm afraid, especially if it is from a cluster of flowers. The complete dried flower head or stem would help more. If you can't get a positive ID from your Mother-in-law tomorrow, another idea is to post a pic of the seedlings after they germinate and get their first set of true leaves. Then it's much easier to tell what exactly you have.

Hope that helps!
vm

Reedsburg, WI(Zone 4b)

vanillaman, I did sow the seeds today and plan to add pictures as the seeds (hopefully) mature. If I still don't know what they are when it comes time to plant them out, I'll just plant them in a few spots of various shade vs. sun. Sooner or later we'll figure it out! I do know the picture I have so far does not provide much information but it is all I have. I'll add more as progress is hopefully made. :)

Sheri

Hey Sheri! I didn't mean to be rude or insult you with my post, lol. There's no doubt that if you get seedlings, someone will be able to identify them way before it's time to plant them out. You will know what you have and where best to plant them. In the meantime, you can try to find your Liliy-of-the-Valleys or someone else's and look for a dead stem with seeds on it from last year. Then you can compare them. Oops, I just noticed your Zone. I guess they're still under the snow at the moment! This is frustrating now, because if they are LOTV, they may need a cold period followed by a warm period to break the dormancy. I'm not sure about them, but many of those types of temperate growers do need that or sometimes two cold treatments to "wake up". I'm curious now about them so will look it up and get back to you. At least you have sown them so that's the first step at least!

vm

Reedsburg, WI(Zone 4b)

vanillaman, no offense taken here!! :) Yes, everything is well under snow again. Some things were starting to pop up and show but Friday's snow storm did that in.

I didn't plant all of the seeds so I could toss some in a jug and set them outside with my winter sowing. I'll give it a try later today after all my company leaves.

Thanks for your input.

Sheri

Reedsburg, WI(Zone 4b)

Ok, here is a recap of the conversation I had with my DMIL today about the seeds:

Me, "Oh, I found these seeds in with my stuff. Did you give them to me?"

MIL, "YES!!! Those are from me."

Me, "Cool, what are they?"

MIL, "I don't know. I just found mine too and for the life of me I don't recall what they are."

LOL On a good note, she does have her's still with the stem and she thinks there may even be a dried leaf or two on there. I asked her not to do anything with them and I will go over in the next day or two and take a photo of the whole thing.

Sheri

Haha, that's funny Sheri! Hopefully when you see her seeds and stuff, we'll have another hint. Good Luck!

Reedsburg, WI(Zone 4b)

I went to MIL's and forgot my camera!! UGH
The seeds I planted in my mini greenhouse have sprouted. Right now they look pretty generic but here is a picture:

Thumbnail by sjweld
's-Gravenhage, Netherlands(Zone 8b)

A good site for seed (and seedling) identification: http://www.theseedsite.co.uk/seedpods.html

Reedsburg, WI(Zone 4b)

Oh, my sister sent me to that site. I can not make heads or tails out of that! WAY too much stuff there.

You're right sjweld, those seedlings are a little "generic looking" at this point without the first true leaves showing yet. At least they all look the same so are most likely the seeds you planted and not just volunteers that happened to be in the soil, like weeds etc. Unfortunately, they appear to be all "bolting" from not getting enough light directly overhead. They're stretching towards the light source. Hopefully when the first leaves appear, we can know better what they are.

I checked that link and personally really like it. I bookmarked it for future reference. I think the easiest way to use it is to search the database, using the botanical name for the plant you're looking for. I took a quick look to see if Lily-of-the-Valley, "Convallaria majalis" was on their list, but unfortunately it wasn't.

Reedsburg, WI(Zone 4b)

Oh yes, vanillaman, that is a wonderful site! I just tend to get over whelmed very easily. I normally leave intense research to my sister (Jeannie63).

I had been gone for 5 days at my sisters and DH was taking care of my babies. They are now directly under the light. When they get more leaves, I'll post again. :)

Champaign, IL(Zone 5b)

looks like petunia or maybe pinks/dianthus to me. But, I'm new at this whole gardening thing. I did save both those seeds, and the pods looked like that. petunia is what immediately popped into my head. Hope you figure it out!

Reedsburg, WI(Zone 4b)

Since they are sprouting nicely, I am sure I will end up with plants to put out and, sooner or later, flowers on them! I will keep this thread going so that we will all know for certain just what they are in the end. :)

Saint Louis, MO

Do you have any rose campion growing in your yard? Looks like the seeds I collected from my rose campion, though I'm not sure the seed pod looked the same.
Chris

Reedsburg, WI(Zone 4b)

I don't believe I do...LOL Who knows what lurks out there!

Buford, GA

I am no expert...far from it... but could it be poppies?

Reedsburg, WI(Zone 4b)

Not too sure why I would have poppies or where they would have come from but could be. Since my MIL gave me the seeds, it has nothing to do with what I already have in my yard. LOL So far the seedlings are still waiting for their first set of real leaves. I'll keep you posted.

Reedsburg, WI(Zone 4b)

I was able to take a picture of the flowers on the stalk from my MIL. I don't know if this will help but here is a dried out version of what they look like.

I should have put something there for sizing but one full stem is the size of my finger.

This message was edited Apr 3, 2008 9:04 AM

Thumbnail by sjweld
Lecanto, FL(Zone 9a)

Crepe Myrtle

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Very unlikely unless MIL is somewhere a lot warmer than zone 4 Wisconsin!

Reedsburg, WI(Zone 4b)

MIL is in the same zone as I am. Not more than a mile from my house (good thing we get along wonderfully!!) I'll check the link as soon as I get the wee ones down for nap.

Lecanto, FL(Zone 9a)

L i l a c

Champaign, IL(Zone 5b)

I looked up lilac seeds(didn't even know they had seeds!) but they don't look like the seeds she has. But, the pods look a lot alike.....

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://4h.uwex.edu/onlinpro/plants/woody/d28c.jpg&imgrefurl=http://4h.uwex.edu/onlinpro/plants/catd.cfm&h=200&w=300&sz=9&hl=en&start=4&um=1&tbnid=uYMI6x2o7IJBQM:&tbnh=77&tbnw=116&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dlilac%2Bseeds%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dopera%26rls%3Den%26sa%3DN

scroll down to lilac, they're alphabetical. With all these guesses, this is probably gonna turn out to be something totally different! I'm interested to see what it will be!

Lecanto, FL(Zone 9a)

There's a weed from the north (used to live off Long Island). My mom called it a Marshmellow Weed. I found it but can't go any further. It's Marshmallow (Althea officinalis).
The seed pod was similar but bigger.
And the flower was pink. But I'm saying all this because of the tiny black seed in your picture. I saw it before, closed my eyes and this is what popped up. Hope my pop-ups are working... It's got to be related.

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

It reminds me of Verbascum blattaria / Moth mullein:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/166529/

Reedsburg, WI(Zone 4b)

For sure not Lilac, if you look at their seeds, photographed by a penny, and my seeds also photographed by a penny, mine are way smaller.

It is hard to get a grip on the size of the moth mullit but it looks way too big?

This is turning into a fun game!!

Still no true leaves on the seedlings. :(

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Those stems sure look like snapdragons. The seedlings look like stretched out snaps, too. Mine are too far along to take a pic of to show you, they passed that stage a couple weeks ago.

I only have mini snaps to look at the seeds, but the seeds I have here from the minis are smaller than yours. What I don't know is if the larger snapdragns have larger seeds.

Ask her if she remembers any pale pink or yellow snapdragons.

Suzy

Saint Louis, MO

Illoquin is right. I'll bet those are snapdragons. Oh, I love a good mystery!!!

Reedsburg, WI(Zone 4b)

Snapdragons could be it, I'll call her in a bit and see if she has a recollection of them. Also, I was just checking my babies and they are just beginning to get their first true leaves. Should be able to get a new picture in a day or two. Oh, I hope so because I am putting in a butterfly garden this year and they attract butterflies.

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

If there is any hint of red down in the center of the middle of where the 2 true leaves meet, they will be a dark color; probably red. If they don't have that, they won't be red. Didja catch that? down in the center of the middle? LOL!

Suzy

Champaign, IL(Zone 5b)

So, I looked up snapdragon seed pods.....I only found two pics, but both appear to have "faces" on them. This pic here:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.nexninek.com/DSCN1970d-mid.JPG&imgrefurl=http://www.nexninek.com/&h=500&w=650&sz=71&hl=en&start=2&um=1&tbnid=Cr2vqQAXSaPtoM:&tbnh=105&tbnw=137&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dsnapdragon%2Bseed%2Bpods%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dopera%26rls%3Den%26sa%3DN

is a little creepy.....! So do all snapdragon pods look like little skulls, or is it just certain ones? And, do yours look like that?

Lecanto, FL(Zone 9a)

ohhh, I'm gonna get some snap dragons, paint the "heads" and put them under my Bonsai Trees. But if the answer is snapdragon then LRS guessed it way in the beginning.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.