Where do you grow your MGs?

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Well, that space could use some shade . . . . if only I could get away with attaching the pvc to the edge of the roof . . . I could actually have a shade garden!

HENDERSON, NV(Zone 9a)

heres a thrown together using old scaffolding or plumbing pies and babmoo!~
:D

Thumbnail by fernman23
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Wonderful thread Soulja, Your right about MG not needing a lot of support to start climbing. Last year I grew some in my window boxes and all I did was drape a long piece of cotton string over the top of the window frame and up they went. I also attached a couple of strings to a shepherd's hook that holds my hummer feeder, and here is a picture of one on my front porch the MG is planted in a clay pot that is sitting on the step and I put a string up to a decorative iron bell that is mounted on the porch.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Love all the pics! So many imaginative ideas for the Morning Glories. Good think too, since all of my seeds germinated and I'll have to find spots for all of them!! (-:

For those morning glory lovers who are looking for yet more ideas for placement in the garden, check out this thread that's running in the Cottage Garden Forum--

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/818820/

Pretty ones there, too.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Here is the top.

I too picked up some nice black metal trellis for about $10 at Joanne Fabrics. Very much like the ones that Tabasco has. I am going to mount them on the front of the house right next to the windows much like you would shutters. I think they will look real nice this year with the MG from the window boxes growing up them.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Ha, forgot the picture. If you look real close you can just see a green cord tied to the bottom curl of the branch.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Here is the trellis that spans my front walk. I grow my Trumpet vine on it. I keep it trimmed up so that there is only green on the top. The Hummers just love it.
Added: You can see my lamppost with the Clematis on it. Just your basic lamppost with a piece of old wire fence wrapped around it. We are working on a new enlarged lamppost bed. It will have a new wooden post with trellis and there are going to be 3 other trellis included in the new bed. I'll post a few pictures of that when we get the trellis in.

This message was edited Mar 25, 2008 5:33 PM

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Here is a winter shot.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Very beautiful winter shot, too. HollyAnn! Should be on a magazine cover!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Thank you Tabasco, Here is a pic of the trellis I picked up that look similar to yours. I just set it up against the side of the house to get some good contrast. I bought 4 of them. Ric is going to grind the legs off and then mount them just like shutters. Althought that string I used last year worked pretty good. LOL I really liked my MG growing in the window boxes. Just a little hard to reach when it came to seed collection time. I think we are going to pick up 3 more to use along with a pressure treated wood frames for the ones that will go in the enlarged lamppost bed. They had several styles to chose from and such good prices. There are such good ideas in this thread.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

This one is just a what do you have handy type. It started out with an old 4 X 4 fence post that was never removed when the fence was torn down. Then we scabbed and old 1 X 4 board on it to make it a little higher for the Bird house that Ric built and I painted. Then we had a short narrow broken piece of lattice fence that came off the patio when we did some work.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Add to the mix a few seeds sent along with a trade and wait for the Birds to move in the the Butterflies to come.
Syrumani, I've been thinking of doing something like you did but shorter. More like a living tent for my Grandchildren to play in. I was thinking of putting up maybe 2 or 3 of them in the backyard. Something they could crawl thru and sit in to play. Maybe mix 1 or 2 of a tepee type as well.

This message was edited Mar 25, 2008 6:48 PM

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
HENDERSON, NV(Zone 9a)

SYRUMANI! THAT is positively brilliant! looked like a tennis net~there is yet anther Idea i need now to go pricw for next years MGs, lol the way you used the old PVC is very earth friendly too!
very cool....Soulja, you said it...a tunnel would be a ahem wet dream! ah i am speechless envisioning this now in my yard this threa dis so full of inspiring ideas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks ALL!
:D

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Thanks, fernman23! I know it looks kinda ugly now, but I'm envisioning it covered in vines! Hopefully that won't take too long!

HENDERSON, NV(Zone 9a)

my imagination SAW it coevred, no ugliness whatsoever! just dreams and imagination, two fertilizers for the Gardener, not the Garden!~!
~Namaste~

Louisville, KY

OMG Holly! you have so much going on in Dover PA! I love the pergola with the trumpets and it looks awesome in winter even!!! And I just love the ideas like yours & Fernman's and syrumani's for growing the MGs on what you have laying around. pld pipes, old fence, pvc, screens, old wood etc... thanks for sharing the pictures! really creative.

i had some old wire fence stored and when I ran out of $ for my spiral trellises, here's what I came up with. A roll of this stuff is so cheap, you could just unroll it and make a tunnel. I just made a tube, wired it together and cut the horizontal sections of the grid out of the bottom rows for the steaks to stick in the dirt. Very sturdy. It's about 4 ft tall and this pic is through the top of the tube.

This message was edited Mar 26, 2008 8:11 AM

Thumbnail by Soulja
Louisville, KY

but i think this way is pretty nice. especially if you don't live in Florida!!! ha!

Thumbnail by Soulja
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Soulja, That is exactly the type of wire fence that I had wrapped on the old Lamppost. Did a fine job for years. In the fall I would just pull it off and store that old piece in the garage. Yesterday I was looking at it thinking now I won't need it any more with the bed almost done. But I didn't toss it who knows might come in handy. I love your idea of using it on it's own to make trellis tubes for the pots. You have some really beautiful arbors and great ideas. Here is a picture of my window box MG you can just see the white cotton string that I used to hold them up it's just to the left of the tan vinyl strip. All I did was hang that string over the window ledge.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

There I go forgetting the picture again.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Ok, this is one of my problem areas. We put up this Gazebo last summer my Parents bought it for me and they bought the hanging screens. I had planed on growing MG up the trellis corners but the screens hang on the outside I could just take them off but I like the curtained look with them tied back. So Iím wondering if I want to plant MG in pots inside the corners or if that would be too shady and maybe take up to much interior space. Plus there are little corner shelves that I used last year to sit some small potted ferns on. Other option I came up with is to put up a separate trellis at each corner, but what kind of trellis would look good? Maybe I should use the old hanging string trick I could tie a couple of lengths to the top bar where the curtains attach and peg them into the flower bed at the base. When this area is finished it will have a brick floor and some nice sized flower beds on each corner.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Louisville, KY

why don't you just put 'em in the ground in those little corners? They would seem to get more sun at their base and it would save room. Or you could certainly plant them on the outside of the trellises and train them inward. also there is i think a section in the sticky for Mgs that do well in shade, at different times a day. I know Beth has talked about that.

Also I've observed my young plants that I had to move to the window because I ran out of room in the growing section, which has morning sun but shade in afternoon, and they are flowering just fine. May not be as abundant as outside, but looks pretty good in here. What a cool little room. and you jazzed it up with those corner trellises beautifully. have fun!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Second part of the problem area is my very old above ground pool. It is partially buried in the ground; we live at the top of a hill and have a slightly sloping yard. This side of the pool is only about 3ft above ground the other side is closer to the 4ft mark. It was set in so that it was the same height as a deck that comes out of the back door. When you go out the back door the 12 X 19 foot deck runs right to the edge of the pool makes it very nice and you donít have that feeling of this huge thing sitting high up in the yard. We have had many hours of great family fun in that pool but it sure is ugly. Last year during a discussion about planting something to screen the ugly sides my son made and off hand remark about making panels that could be leaned up against the side of the pool that I could grow MG on. So I guess that will be another project. I sure would love any suggestions on these two projects if anyone has some.
You can see my deck boxes and lattice deck fence on the right of the picture. I plant MG in the boxes along with a lot of other annuals. I love the way they climb thru the lattice flowers showing on both sides.

Well can you tell that I am having picture issues today? This picture should have gone with the first post about the Gazebo and that picture with a good view of the ugly pool and the deck should have gone with this post.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

And I have forgotten this picture as well. LOL

Thanks for the idea of planting the MG in the flower bed out side and just pulling them thru to the inside such a simple solution that I didn't even think of.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Louisville, KY

oh my gosh here's what I did with the ugly pool after many years of trying to come up with ideas about how to cover it up.... (((*me laughing hard

Thumbnail by Soulja
Grandview, TX(Zone 8b)

Question? Has anyone an opinion of growing MG from a window box bolted to a front porch railing. The porch is about 4 ft off the ground, so the 'fall' is about 7 ft. I'm just thinking out loud ....

Carolyn

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Caryolyn . . . I know there are alot of morning glories that are suitable for containers and hanging baskets. I've got some ensign mix seeds if you want them . . .

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

OH, That is soooo funny. (rolling on the floor LOL). No I'm afraid that won't work. We really do use it a lot. My dream is to have an in-ground pool and although I look at them almost every year I don't know if I will ever actually put one in. Every year that passes the chances get slimmer and slimmer.
Just a pic from my deck.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Grandview, TX(Zone 8b)

Syrumani, thank you for the offer. I will research this, oh, there is so much to learn! The spring bug has certainly bit me! I will get back to you on the seed offer.

Carolyn

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Carolyn, Do you want them to grow across the railings or did you want them to drape over? You mentioned the 7ft fall. I grew MG in my window boxes and I thought they would drape but they really tried hard to climb up, that's why I ended up hanging the string for them to climb. I did get some drape. But mostly in areas with out any upward support it just twined over it's self in a large mass and I didn't get the draping effect I wanted. They also used the other flowers in the boxes to grab on to and pretty much covered them over. That is why I'm using the side trellis this year and only planting one or two on each end of the box. Take a look at the box on the left, those were a much larger and more aggressive growing MG than the box on the right. But even the MG in the right hand box twined over it's self to grow.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Louisville, KY

well you see the tall grasses behind the round bed were put there for that purpose and they worked pretty well, but now... whew! It was just so loud and hard to clean and the kids didn't use it ALL that much. Yeah told my DH that next year, after years of wanting one, we must finally break down for an inground pool so... (unless some earthshaking tragedy happens) I hope....

for now... dreamy iris bed. and I will have MGs on some kind of low fence surrounding the thing (have to because of dogs...) so do you all think I should go with lattice which obscures the view of the circle slightly more from the garden entry? or should I do the 30" black garden wire fencing that you just stick in the ground so all you see is mostly MG & Clematis vines as the border? hmmm....

Actually, perfect timing! i've been trying to decide what to do for days. Maybe you all can help. Here is the project half done then paused because in looking at the picture above, I like the view of the circle. The wire fencing might maintain that visual as you enter the garden which would bring you to this spot. the border vines would be lower than the current lattice but maybe i can make them go sideways like Hobbydlarens vines...

What do you guys think? I'm kinda leanin toward the wire now. it's 30" inches tall. 24' round.... loooootta morning glories! yay.

Thumbnail by Soulja
Mesilla Park, NM

I made this arbor in CA about 7 years ago, it was still standing when we moved last year.. out of tree limbs.. I really like the rustic look too. I couldn't find my photos so I linked it to the post I had made here at DG

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=710223

Grandview, TX(Zone 8b)

HollyAnnS, yes I was hoping for the 'draping' effect, but now I'm thinking this idea won't work. Back to the drawing board.

Carolyn

Franklin, WI(Zone 5a)

I grow them up the poles of my birdhouses....

Thumbnail by Seedsower
Franklin, WI(Zone 5a)

...up the rails of my flower "bed" although they're not in bloom yet here in this photo...

Thumbnail by Seedsower
Louisville, KY

oh ya just killed me with the BED! that is cool as cool gets!

Franklin, WI(Zone 5a)

...on a dead tree I attached pots and wire to...

Thumbnail by Seedsower
Franklin, WI(Zone 5a)

and this garden "gazebo" trellis...

Thumbnail by Seedsower
Mesilla Park, NM

Oh that bed is beautiful..

Louisville, KY

Seedsower's got the WOW factor goin' on! nice work. what is that growing on the tree?

Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

Ooo! I have a new idea for the dead basswood tree in my front yard. How very cool, Seedsower!

Suddenly I'm envisioning a little island bed surrounding 6 feet of tree trunk, with birdhouses and MGs, and...

Huh! This may be one idea that's not actually bigger than my budget.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.