Where do you grow your MGs?

Franklin, WI(Zone 5a)

...glad ya 'all like my vertical gardening :)

Soulja...those are good 'ole Heavenly Blues growing on the tree~

KaylyRed...yes, dead tree trunks are very inexpensive! I have been very surprised that those cheap plastic pots I nailed to the trunk are going on their third season. Just be sure to prop the pots up with something...I used bamboo poles to help provide support for the weight of the pots....

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Soulja, That certainly is a pretty yard. I could go with either the Black wire or the Lattice. I like your brick walk, too. It must be beautiful in the summer with all the trellises filled. I think I will try the Black wire around my pool this year and see how it looks.
Seedsower, You have beautiful beds and great ideas it is all so pretty.
Ric, Is down at the barn right now building the 3 trellises I need to finish my Lamppost bed. They will get either MG or Clematis on them.
I picked this up last summer listed in the paper as "Free" it's not quite what I had wanted. I was hoping for something that I could paint black and make it look more like wrought iron. But I think it's pretty and I have a friend that just loves it. I may send it to her house along with some MG plants.
What I really think is funny is, that it is "just" the back of a day bed and slightly down the road from the place where we got it someone is using "just" the ends of a white day bed on either side of a driveway as a background for a couple of small beds. LOL

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Grandview, TX(Zone 8b)

Love the headboard. I actually have a 'brass bed' in my garden. It was also a trash to treasure find. My 8 year old neice asked why that was there? Thought I was crazy until I gave her the space for whatever she wanted to plant, now she thinks its a cool spot. So far we have lots of iris planted there. With time she'll add more. I love gardening with her.

Carolyn

Louisville, KY

I'll never look at beds the same. Each headboard will have "other" possibilities from now on. thanks Holly & Seedsower & TxGrandview.

I went another route with the circle bed. I widened the whole area with part lattice, part wire, and blocked the dogs from the whole large section of the garden, giving me room for the veggie beds I want to put in front of the tall Lattice solo fence in the background, PLUS the circle gets to be free and open. Plus I have a corner for my compost equipment. Plus the lattice is now an accent instead of risking major Lattice Overload. BAM! problem solved.

Thumbnail by Soulja
Louisville, KY

from the other side.

Thumbnail by Soulja
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

Soulja - IMPRESSIVE!!! A lot of work went into creating that circular bed! WOW! Nice! Love the design!

I can only share my raised 3-tiered bed at this time. All plants grown from seeds in a Butterfly and Hummingbird Forum Group Seed Swap back in November. There are actually some stray MGs in that bed! LOL! This is the view looking through the arbor! :-) My favorite view at this time! :-)

Thumbnail by beckygardener
Grandview, TX(Zone 8b)

beckygardener, what is the plant in the front of the bed, soft textured? Kind of blue-gray?

Carolyn

Louisville, KY

wow!!! is that really today? it's a nice arrangement. Love the poppies, (is that what they are in the back?) yeah and that bright green puff in the front is beautiful.

The green-gray "puff" in the front is dill. It is a host plant for the Black Swallowtail butterflies along with the parsley I also have growing in that bed. Most all the plants are for butterflies and hummingbirds.

This is one of the stray MGs growing in that bed. Hummers love MGs!

Thumbnail by beckygardener
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Soulja, Very nice. I really like what you did. I like the little windows in your fence. Really opens up the look without loosing the privacy. Can't wait to see summer pictures with everything growing.

Becky, How nice to see your Butterfly bed. It's beautiful.

Almost but not quite finished, just a few more added touches needed.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Link, Sweden(Zone 5b)

Soulja very smart system

Louisville, KY

Sylvia, how are your baby MGs coming along? Lookin' forward to some photos of your blooms and Holly that bed will be so beautiful. What do ya think you'll put there?

here's another shot of that lt blue fuji i posted on another thread too. i just can't get enough of this one. got a few more for later too.

Thumbnail by Soulja
Link, Sweden(Zone 5b)

Hello Soulja,
I carried them out in the morning and in, in the evening every day now.
And I think you can see they grow, a pic from today
Sylvia

Thumbnail by hobbyodlaren
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Well, I will pick up some more bulbs next fall for the lower level and I have some creeping phlox coming, I'll put a little of that in. Some Mums and Asters for fall color. Whatever annuals catch my fancy. I have an old large clematis already at the lamppost. Last year I picked up some more clematis from the co-op already planted at the bottom of the three trellises. But I'm not to sure about those. I would love to add a fall flowering clematis. Originally it was designed for the Clematis. But now I have so very many pretty MG to plant. Several of those will end up out there no matter what.
Tabasco. Those trellises were made with those $10 metal trellises just like the ones you bought. Ric just added a wood frame around them. We are also going to add a little stain glass touch.

Louisville, KY

nice progress girls. keep us up to blooming speed with pictures!

Becky! What is that Morning Glory wandering in your beds, Star of India by chance? it is stunning. I've got several of those started. yaaay.

Holly - Sounds like you have some wonderful ideas for your garden beds! I am going to try clematis this year. I some Sweet Autumn Clematis that I think I am finally going to use on the patio fence and arbor. I have been wavering back and forth on whether to use it or not. I can still grow MGs on it as well. The clematis doesn't bloom until Fall. I order some other clematis liners to see if I can't grow some other ones as well.

Soulja - It could be SOI, but I never planted any seeds for that one. It does looks like an I. nil. Probably a crossed seed of some I grew last Fall. It is very pretty! I am going to try to collect seeds if it produces any. So far all the buds have dropped. I probably need to hand-pollinate it.

Grandview, TX(Zone 8b)

Beckygrdener, watch that sweet autumn, it's a giant with a mind of its own. I have very large crepe myrtles, well over 30 ft and its all the way to the top of them. And it reseeds! Just keep an eye on it. I had 5, down to 2 and thinking of downsizing to zero. Not well behaved enough for me!

Carolyn

Thanks, Carolyn. I have been going back and forth on using them. I like everything about them except the fact that they reseed. Maybe I can prune them up after they bloom in the Fall and take care of the possible seed production?

Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

I've got babies, too! I'm sure you guys can spot the MGs in this photo. ;)

I think I'm going to have to start separating them into individual pots soon. I thinned a couple out today only to find the roots were very vigorous, even on the teeny ones. I knew MGs were strong, fast growers (and that some even consider them invasive), but I didn't expect them to be quite this enthusiastic.

Thumbnail by KaylyRed
(Mike) Batesville, AR

Becky - anyone? Is it possible to grow morning glories in hanging baskets? :) If so - any tricks I should be aware of?

Mike

Thumbnail by sibhskylvr

There are MGs that are more of a mounding MG than a climbling MG. MGs prefer to climb up, not hang down. You could grow them in pots using 3 tall Bamboo sticks for them to climb up.

I am sure others here have some great suggestions.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I so much enjoyed this thread this spring so I started a "Summer Edition" hopefully we will get more or updated pictures. Thanks Soulja for getting this idea started.
Here is a link to the new thread.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/873701/

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.