Spring has Sprung: Part 2!!

Lufkin, TX(Zone 8b)

as you wished, a new thread because the other was getting so long!

tracie

just a photo of some of my pots

Red Oak, TX

first bloom of a dogwood vine.

Red Oak, TX

banana shrub

NE Medina Co., TX(Zone 8a)

I'm out here in true Texas Mountain Laurel country. The hills are alive with blooming TML's. So here's one cluster of blooms.

Rowlett, TX(Zone 8a)

Dianthus - Firewitch.

Carla

This message was edited Mar 27, 2008 1:54 PM

This message was edited Mar 27, 2008 1:55 PM

NE Medina Co., TX(Zone 8a)

My Pink Evening Primrose is just having a good time also. A sign of spring!

Rowlett, TX(Zone 8a)

Another Dianthus-Firewitch (but it's color is a bit different than the other one).

TJ, do your Cottage Pinks look like these?

Carla

This message was edited Mar 27, 2008 1:53 PM

This message was edited Mar 27, 2008 1:55 PM

Rockport, TX(Zone 9a)

I just love all the pictures on this thread! Can I count my first bloom of my pink Angel Trumpet? Not a typical spring flower, but I'm always thrilled when it comes back after the winter damage.

Red Oak, TX

I am enjoying all the pictures too,that is a big bloom on that angel trumpet.
chocolate vine.

Red Oak, TX

clematis

Red Oak, TX

Oxalis

Red Oak, TX

Texas mountain laurel

Red Oak, TX

Encore azalea

Waxahachie, TX(Zone 8a)

Carla, mine don't look like yours. Mine have yet to open this year, but they are more dense and about 24' tall. I'll try to get a pic tonight.
Also my dianthus 'Firewitch' are starting to bloom.

This is the best part!!! I have had my Winged Loosestrife seeds in the fridge for 14 weeks and just took them out this past weekend and they are beginning to sprout!! Hopefully, I'll have enough to share.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

My Texas Mountain Laurels are done, as is the Mexican Plum. The Brazos Penstemon I got from Josephine 2 years ago is budding. I'll try to get pictures of it as soon as it blooms. :-)

Rowlett, TX(Zone 8a)

TJ, I have the taller/denser Dianthus (but I don't recall their common name) as well. They're blooming, but not as profusely as the pinks.

Congrats on the Loosestrife seedlings. I lost my plant last year due to all the rain we had, but I may replant this year. They are really lovely.

Carla

Rowlett, TX(Zone 8a)

Looks like I've got my Dianthus's mixed up -- the 2 pictures I posted are NOT Cheddar Pinks. I'll bet my Cheddar Pinks do look like your Cheddar Pinks, TJ .... I'll take a photo tonight and we can compare.

Carla

Lufkin, TX(Zone 8b)

took a few more pics today.

tracie

one of my mixed beds

McKinney, TX(Zone 8a)

I am just a little behind you guys, but I have a few blooms. Also have a lot of stuff with buds or bloom stalks, but no blooms yet . 3 types of roses, brazos penstemon, Hill country penstemon, Coreopsis, 3 types of clematis, dwarf iris, and other varieties of daffodil's have buds or bloom stalks.

Here's Ducher Rose. I had six of these installed in the front yard a couple weeks ago. They are still tiny little bushes, but they are covered in buds and blooms.

This message was edited Mar 28, 2008 11:46 AM

McKinney, TX(Zone 8a)

Here's my nerve daisy that's in the back bed. It's been there for a while and has always has at least one bud or bloom. Four Nerve Daisy is really one of the best perennials for this area. I put 4 of them in the front landscape too because I love them so much. :)

McKinney, TX(Zone 8a)

Do the blooms on my Japanese Maple count? :) They are small, but so pretty.

McKinney, TX(Zone 8a)

Spring Starflower. This is the only clump who came back this year.

McKinney, TX(Zone 8a)

My wild native Redbud at the bottom of the hill is completely covered in blooms, but I am more excited about my 3 'Oklahoma' Redbuds that were installed with the landscaping. They are just starting to bud out.

McKinney, TX(Zone 8a)

Narcissus jonquilla simplex. Such pretty little blooms.

Rockport, TX(Zone 9a)

Tracie, I love how you planted your bed. it looks beautiful.

Sweezel, I'm just in love with the new leaves on my Japanese Maple too. They are like a flower!

These bluebonnets are not from my yard. They're on the bank of a nearby bayou. The area would be so pretty but the bottom of the bayou has been cemented. Ruins it for me! I don't know what the red flowers are.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

I have varieties of Japanese Maple. Do not know what either of them are. It just started raining or I would take a picture of one of them. It is so red it will take your breathe. Have had it 4 years (from a stick) and this is first time it has been this deep red. The other is lime green with red outline on the leaves.

Planted a stick/redbud this winter but it is too young to bud.

Christi

Waxahachie, TX(Zone 8a)

Elphaba, the red ones are Crimson Clover and I want some!!

Waxahachie, TX(Zone 8a)

Carla, this is what my Cottage Pinks look like, now. It's a night shot. Seems like that's the only time I have for pics sometimes.

Waxahachie, TX(Zone 8a)

My wegelia getting ready to bloom.

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

Elphaba, the red flowers are Crimson clover, Trifolium incarnatum. Wildflower Farms cautions against planting red clover with any other wild flower because it can be so aggressive that it will take over an area. The red clover in this photo was seeded as a red clover field, but it gives you an idea of how dense it could get.
http://selmaala.blogspot.com/2007/04/crimson-clover.html
My DH is from Houston and remembers the days when all the bayous ran wild. Lots of happy memories, but not all good are good memories esp. the flooding.

Sorry about the name error, senior moment! LOL

This message was edited Mar 28, 2008 9:49 AM

This message was edited Mar 28, 2008 9:50 AM

Rowlett, TX(Zone 8a)

Stacie, I've never seen so many flowers on a 4-Nerve Daisy!! That's it, I'm buying some this weekend.

TJ, your Dianthus are awesome. What a show they will put on when those blooms open.

Carla

Rockport, TX(Zone 9a)

Wow, Betty, that picture of the Crimson Clover was just beautiful - invasive or not! I can see why you want some Broncbuster!

I agree that cementing the bayou undoubtedly helped prevent flooding. It just makes me sad when something natural and beautiful is turned into a drainage ditch. Still if they weren't dredging it and clearing and mowing the banks, we wouldn't have the wildflowers! -- and of course, if they hadn't filled in the swamp, we wouldn't have the city of Houston!

Christi, I've wanted a lime green Japanese Maple for a while. I'm totally jealous! My Japanese Maple was a gift and when I transplanted it, I discovered a seedling at the base that is now about 6' tall. The mother plant is a bronze color, and the 6' baby is much more red. My neighbor's stops traffic its such a wonderful red color. He's an aggie, so he always picks the best variety of everything!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

The red one was a close-out at HD about 4 years ago for $19.95.

The other three are all the same. Purchased them from a little nursery here in town 3 years ago. $10.00 a piece.

The rain has let up. Will try to get a picture.

Christi

Lufkin, TX(Zone 8b)

here is a new tulip for me started blooming yesterday.

tracie

Creme Upstar

Lufkin, TX(Zone 8b)

another new daffodil. this one lives up to its name, Gentle Giant

Gentle Giant

Lufkin, TX(Zone 8b)

A blue and white columbine

Lufkin, TX(Zone 8b)

Pink Charm Daffodil

Rockport, TX(Zone 9a)

Tracie, WOW -- love Pink Charm especially, and your pictures are so beautiful. I have a bulb about to bloom, but I don't remember what it is! You'll have to tell me when I finally get a picture.

Remember the discussion on walking irises? Well, here is a picture of a yellow one.

Lufkin, TX(Zone 8b)

thank you! and thanks again for the picture of the walking iris. i hope mine starts to do something soon!

tracie

cant remember if i posted this already, but here it is, my first ever dutch iris!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

This bloomed today. Mitch Fitzgerald will be moving by June from near me to Oklahoma. He has gifted my garden with way more than anything I could ever imagine. Among the many, many plants are about 75 or more iris. Have had to build two new beds to accomodate them. This one has only been at home here for about 3 weeks. Never dreamed they would bloom this year having just been moved. They are all covered with buds and everyday is a joy and a surprise.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.