Coleus Chatters thru April 6th...

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Good Morning!!! We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/827784/#new

Some days I wake up with a song in my head and this one was today. One of my most favorite songs! It makes me smile... and makes me wanna dance!

Well, beat the drum and hold the phone - the sun came out today!
We're born again, there's new grass on the field.
A-roundin' third, and headed for home, it's a brown-eyed handsome man;
Anyone can understand the way I feel.

Oh, put me in, Coach - I'm ready to play today;
Put me in, Coach - I'm ready to play today;
Look at me, I can be Centerfield.

Well, I spent some time in the Mudville Nine, watchin' it from the bench;
You know I took some lumps when the Mighty Casey struck out.
So Say Hey Willie, tell Ty Cobb and Joe DiMaggio;
Don't say "It ain't so", you know the time is now.

Look at me, I can be Centerfield.

Yeah! I got it, I got it!
Got a beat-up glove, a homemade bat, and brand-new pair of shoes;
You know I think it's time to give this game a ride
Just to hit the ball and touch 'em all - a moment in the sun;
(Pop!) It's gone and you can tell that one goodbye!

Look at me, (yeah!) I can be Centerfield.

Look at me, gotta be Centerfield.
Yeah!

Left to right
Oompah
Florida Sun Rose
Wizard Scarlet
Purple Haze

Thumbnail by Brinda
Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Ted, you are the man of my dreams! I just can't believe everything that you can accomplish in such a short amount of time. Your room looks great and I want to know about the old tag on the wall. The one that says horseless carriage. I love it!

Joyce & Cathy, yes I have committed myself to that huge co-op. I have no clue if it's good, bad or indifferent. LOL All I know is that I need more tropicals. A couple of years ago I did 2 huge Messenger/MightPlant co-ops and they were very time consuming. But this one I won't have to mail anything out as Chris is taking on that job. If I would have had to ship plants then I wouldn't have taken the job. NO WAY!

Pheadra, Xman is much better... he just needed his Mimi for awhile to get him all better! LOL

Oh Sidney, surely the city isn't planning on doing that? How horrible that would be to destroy something of such beauty! I'll be sending good vibes your way that they dont' even dream of doing that!

C'mon Dale, I know you're laughing so hard every time you post one of those gorgeous pictures. Slow down just for 5 minutes and tell us what is going on. I won't stop nagging until I find out! LOLOL

Juanita, we will need pics. You know, inquiring minds need to know!

Man, did we have some storms last night!!!! Xander & his parents came and ended up spending the night. (Of course, I'm the grandparent with the smaller 3 bedroom house while the other grandparents have a 4 bedroom house with only 2 people living in it... and where do they show up? LOL) Anyway, the guy who pushes the buttons for the tornado sirens to BLAST must have been on drugs last night. I know for sure that they blew no less than 6 times and mostly likely more than that. All in a matter of about 3 hours. It was nuts! And we didn't even go to the cellar, all we had was high winds and quarter size hail.

I went to bed around midnight and DH was laying there watching the weather. I was so sore and tired from working outside all day and I told him that we'd be in trouble if we needed to go to the cellar as I had put all 60 pots of phlox that I potted up on the cellar and on the cellar door. LOL DH said, well you better go move them or they will blow away. I told him at that point I didn't even care what happened to them as I was just too tired to move. About 30 minutes later he got out of bed and was gone for about 15 minutes. When he came back I asked him where he had been and he said he was outside moving all my plants into the garage. What a guy!!! I need to count my blessings again!

I better get busy, I've been up since before 6:00 and I've not accomplished much of anything!

Have a beautiful day everyone...

Slidell, LA(Zone 8b)

TA - great job on the room! Gonna show my hubby - We are slowly remodeling the house we just bought a few months ago and while he is new to remodeling type work he just buys books and looks online to learn how to do things - he is awesome - never complains no matter what I want to do and I'm thinking a couple of windows and reworking the laundry room would be great hehe

Dale - just love those pics

Brinda - am so happy you are co-hosting that co-op. Will you have time to help me make choices when we get a list of availables? You do realize that I am taking you up on your offer of help LOL What a wonderful hubby you have. You just have to adore kind thoughtful men that take care of us! Glad the GS is feeling better. No coleus at Wallyworld Saturday. I didn't make it to Lowe's or HD as I had a car full of soil and worm castings lol

Happy Monday everyone! Cya'll later.
Em.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Hi Folks!

We got back from San Antonio yesterday afternoon. I can tell you that both hubby and I were dead dog tired. We finished all we set out to do on Mom's house. Now that we're back home, I am hoping to get hopping on our own kitchen so it will be finished before hunting season starts back up again in the fall. I've been collecting everything I need to tear out the cabinets that include the old sink, so that when it's time, the new cabinets, etc. can go right back where they belong. I know it won't be THAT easy. BUT I am doing MY part to make things go as quickly as possible. If only I could do the work myself.... sigh.

Anyhow, I put up a slide show of photos of all the work accomplished in SA on my website.
http://uniquetreasures.phanfare.com/album/567125/798711#imageID=38753499
We're really proud of the transformation of Mom's house. Mom is not one for major changes. While she absolutely loves the way the crown looks in our house, she didn't know if she would really love it at her own house. She's hinted though that she'd like us to come do that there. So we did. :-) It still amazes me how much work hubby and I did in 10 days. We worked 12 hour days mostly except the first 2 days (being Easter weekend and having extra folks in the house) and that last day.

Having totally cleaned out my fridge before we left, I spent the morning restocking. Now I know exactly what Mom goes through twice a year. She spends 6 months out of the year in VA and 6 months in SA. We sure had some wonderful meals with Mom and I really enjoyed visiting. I'm really thankful though to be back in my own bed. I slept like the dead last night!

The yard needs mowing and the plants need "placing" after coming out of hibernation. Lots of things are blooming out there. I've vowed (to myself) to NOT buy ANY plants this year, other than herbs to cook with. I have plenty of plants and truly don't need any more. Now, if Connie and I can stay away from the "Please Save Me" rack at Lowe's, I'll be able to keep that vow! HAHAHAHA

I need to go to Connie's to check on the coleus cuttings. It'll be good to put some eyeballs on her again after being gone so long. I've missed her fiercely.

Janet

Thumbnail by UniQueTreasures
Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Morning all,
Ted you sure did a great job.
I know DW is so tickled.
Brinda I guess I need to check out this co-op.
Who is the Chris doing the mailing?
Sidney

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

Ted, what an amazing job you've done! (I see that blender in the corner of the one pic...is that for celebrating a job well done??)

Dale...what great pics of coleus...ahh to dream.....

Brinda...thought about you all morning after listening to the weather news.....hope all is ok....

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

Janet--what's with this vow "to not buy any plants this year other than herbs to cook with"--yeah right lady. You know the first time you come across a coleus that you don't have it will go into the shopping cart.

Shall we all lay bets on how long it takes Janet to break her vow????? Just making it makes you a better person that me. I know I have enough but I still NEED more. . . .

Patty

I'm taking April4th on Janet, LOL
;)

Arlington, GA(Zone 8a)

I say the 12th! on Janet holding out....

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I have been working, alot, on my latest project-two 3000 sq ft greenhouses. Last week & weekend I worked on/at a local Plant Fest (big loss in time and money).

I have been working my 'regular' job, landscape maintenance . All my 'spare' time going too potting up liners (trays of 84 or 105) into liner trays of 21. Coleus, Angelonia, Purslane & Zinnia are the main crop along with 20 other kinds of plants. I should have some plants ready for the local wholesale market in late May.

Someday I may have plants available for mail order, but, that is years from now. And it takes a 'special' license from the State to get into the business.

I am taking Wed off and going to the visit the Mouse (Disney) in Orlando and take photos of the flowers.

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Sooo....You all like photos of Coleus>

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
South Venice, FL(Zone 9b)

Gorgeous Dale!
Sorry to hear about the poor sales at the Plant Fest, that's a bummer. Have fun with the mouse!

UniqueTreasures, great job on your kitchen and your mom's place, you and your DH are tireless workers.

TA, I forget to comment on your lovely Coleus Room, what a fantastic little spot.

Brinda, that Purple Haze is really cool looking!

Have a splendid day all!

Cathy

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

dale, just breathtaking
brinda, will d-mail you when i get home from dr.

FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

So as not to clutter up this thread, I started another one with the pic of my Rosy Dawn order.
Woke up to this beauty this morning. never had one of these in "winter" before.

Juanita

Thumbnail by rvnsbrk
Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

Hey dale

Glad to see you're back and posting pictures . . . more, more, more . . . we want more pictures. LOL

Patty

Riverview, FL(Zone 9b)

Dale,

Great pictures!!!
I am gald to see you back on Daves Garden.
Were you at Green Fest? I looked for you. Sorry the plant sale was a loss for you.
I know alot of hard work and money goes in those sales.

The cuttings you gave me last year did GREAT! They all grew into great beautiful plants. I will try and find a picture later.
I was also able to over winter cuttings of most of them.

You and Sugarweed got me hooked on coleus!

Ariel

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Drive by ****Beep****Beep!!!! (Hey, where is Hap?)

No time to chat right now... I have sooo much to do!

Love you all....

PS Juanita, beautiful bloom for a beautiful sun-filled day!

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Kathy, I woke up thinking about you this morning! I'm sending good thoughts & vibes your way for a good visit to the doctor!!!!

I've seen Janet's posts...I give her until midnight tonight...
;)

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

thanks Brinda, you're very kind.

Slidell, LA(Zone 8b)

Hey all - just popping in to say hello and that I am STILL waiting for my coleus to come up LOL prolly never will - have some more I am going to try - wish me luck! Em.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Bwahahahahaha I bought 2 sweet basil plants yesterday at HEB. That's it! I'm so proud of me!

Connie and I went galivanting for a bit today. She said she wanted to get some purple fountain grass to put close to the pool. I told her about my statement here and she said she didn't need any other plants, other than that PFG also. She mentioned that if she needed "something" "Somewhere", she'd just break off a piece of something she already has.

I did look in on the coleus babies while we were at her house. They look on the pathetic side. Only one of them has any leaves. Sigh.... That's OK. I found a sprig of Perilla Magilla today when I was mowing. I still haven't moved my plants back off the deck yet. There may be something that comes back, so I'm leaving all "sticks" as they are for the time being. They might surprise me yet!

I'll just enjoy y'all's vicariously. :-)

Janet

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Janet the comparison photo looks great. What a difference.
Dale your plants look great.
Thanks everyone for the comments on the room.
The blender is for chopping up the peat.
The car tag was for my old model T Ford that I rebuilt. Sorry that I ever sold it.

The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

The photos are amazing!!

Slidell, LA(Zone 8b)

I wondered about that blender lol

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks Ted. We're really proud of the way it turned out. Mom loves it, and that's what really counts.

I have something funny to share with you all. When we got back, I called Connie to tell her we were home. After I did the photos on the slide show, I sent a link to her and she said, I guess you know that there will only be the tops of our heads in Mom's photos now because she'll want to get the crown molding in the photos. The next afternoon, Mom sent me 2 emails with 2 photos. The first one showed a lamp that she'd placed in the room after we left. The next one, her words were..." Shoot.....Didn't get the crown molding in this one. " HAHAHAHA

I thought it would be a good idea to clear out some of the vines and weeds yesterday in the back yard to mow over them. I was sweating big time before I even started up the mower. What usually takes about 10-15 minutes to mow took about 45 minutes. There is still much to do to get the back yard in shape before I pull out the plants off the deck. Hopefully it won't be as humid today as it was yesterday. I need to learn how to use the weed eater. Hubby has removed the shield from it (first thing he always does with a new one) so I am leary of using it.

Time to get the oatmeal going. I hope you all have a great day.

Much love to all,
Janet

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Sheeeeeeeeee's BAAAAAACK!! Welcome home Janet, you have been really missed around here! Your projects look so good, you and your DH make a great team! BTW.... DO NOT learn how to use the weed eater! Big mistake! LOL I act like I don't know how to use it around here.

Good Morning everyone! I feel like I lost a day and need to go back an read more. If any of you need some tropicals you better rush over to the new co-op as there is a minimum of participants.

Joyce, I've done so well with my New Year's Resolutions so far, but I may have to break it with this tropical co-op. LOL So far I've been able to only use my money for plants and gardening... it's over! I just know it is.... time to tap into DH's money now!

Em, I never answered you about helping you choose tropicals for your garden. I'd be happy to help... I just love to help people spend money on plants! LOL Send me a dmail and I'll be back at the puter later this evening.

Patty? Did I ever say welcome back? LOL If not... Welcome back, you have been missed!

Cathy, Purple Haze has been at the top of my favorite list for many years. It has so many different colors during the growing season. Here's a closeup of it back in 2006.

Everyone have a wonderful day! Alice????? Why so quiet?

Thumbnail by Brinda
Slidell, LA(Zone 8b)

Good morning all :)

Janet - Hi - don't think we have met - Brinda dragged me here from the chat room (she didn't have to pull too hard!) - she's getting me into all kinds of "trouble" LOL gotta love her :) great job on your mom's house! Too funny about the crown moulding pics - she's obviously very happy with it

Brinda - I know how much you have on your plate now - didn't want to bother you. I went over and over and over the lists. Look at my order and let me know what you think. That spot back by the wooden swing post is the perfect spot for some of those water loving plants - look to the back left in the photo. That will probably be my lil tropical paradise lol I was also trying to watch what I was spending - 3 co-ops within a week - eeeek! lol Your purple haze is beautiful.

Hope everyone has a great day!
Em

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Sad news everyone :(

I just got word that Kathy's (jordankittyjo) grandbaby died last night. I don't know what happened but thought you would all like to know. Please keep Kathy and her family in your thoughts and prayers!

Slidell, LA(Zone 8b)

Oh no!!!! My heart is breaking for them - they are in my prayers - it is so very hard to lose a child.

South Venice, FL(Zone 9b)

jordankittyjo- sending thoughts and prayers to you and your family. I am so sorry for your loss.

Cathy

Pearl River, LA

Good morning everyone... Kathy I am so sorry for your loss...will be thinking and praying for you during this hard time. I just popped in to see what was going on... Been working hard getting things started here. It is raining today sooooo here I am. Brin you had asked what Sandy plans for us next. Well I will post a pic of the area. We are going to turn the trash area from last year into a desirable space this year. It will take a while to bring it to what we want but we have started. We also got our plants for the tree area (coleus of course) from school. I will post a pic collage of our finds in the school nursery sale. I got back startings of coleus from last year, and some new ones I did not have. With the loss of Paul and the ten day Spring Break the coleus got leggy before we could get them. I will see what I need to do. Will a good fertilizing bring them back to solid form or do I need to cut back a lot.? I always get them before this stage. Sugarweed I hope they do not take any of your garden space for the sidewalk. I know that would make you sad. I got back some of the trailing Linda and my Persian Shield and Kiwi that Paul also saved for me. Sandy is bringing back the original Alabama sunset today. It is again putting out after being the mother of lots of babies all winter. I was successful in saving only the dipt in wine myself. We got Inky fingers and some others that I have not had before. Again I will post a pic...Let me know what you think. Have a great day everyone and Lucy I am sorry I missed your BD hope it was a good one. Shirleyt

Thumbnail by shirleyt

Kathy, My heart just breaks for you. I too will be praying for some comfort and God's love to hold you in his arms.
Shirley, so good to hear from you. Those pictures are too small for my old eyes, but they are colorful.
Take cuttings of the leggy ones and the stems should throw out new little leaves close to the soil.
Sidney

Kathy, I know no words can help comfort in times like these, but you are definitely in all of our prayers.
Mary

Newport News, VA(Zone 11)

Kathy
May God give you the strenght to get throughh this tradegy and let us know if you need anything.
Joyce

Pearl River, LA

Sugarweed I am so sorry. I thought everyone had picasa on their computers. You can make the pics as large as you like and key in on any spot on the pic. I will post my new babies for you one at a time. Here goes.

Thumbnail by shirleyt
Pearl River, LA

I do not know names....tell me what they are

Thumbnail by shirleyt
Pearl River, LA

This is a walk around my tree again.

Thumbnail by shirleyt
Pearl River, LA

I did not put Alabama sunset here yet. I put it in the pump bed. I will also have it as a focal plant on the deck.

Thumbnail by shirleyt
Pearl River, LA

Is this the inky fingers everyone is talking about?

Thumbnail by shirleyt

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.