SOLVED: Does anybody know the name...

Port Charlotte, FL(Zone 10a)

Of this really pretty light green plant at the bottom of the photo?

I bought a flat of them and they were only marked "accent plant". I've used them in a few of my containers and they really are a nice accent plant. I noticed today that there was actually a tiny bright pink bloom on one of them.

Thanks
Kat

Thumbnail by KatG
Huntington, AR

That's a coleus, ain't it? I'm not much a fan of pretty plants, but I think that's a coleus...somebody with a more appreciable eye for beautiful colors will be along soon to confirm or deny my guess...good luck!

Thanks Peaches - there's Coleus and Copper Plant in there, but I don't know the name of the lighter-green plant on the bottom of the photo. It's almost like a succulent...kind of rubbery.

Here it is in another pot...

Thumbnail by KatG
(AnjL) Fremont, CA(Zone 9b)

Sorry, I dont know what your unidentified plant is... :o(

But I would love to know what the purple leafed plant is in the second image you posted... its beautiful.

AnjL

BTW your plants look so healthy and beautiful!

Huntington, AR

LOL! (slaps forehead) Duh! How did I miss that!? The first sentence says "pretty light green plant at the bottom". The coleus distracted me with its psychedelic, hypnotic colors! To make myself feel even more stupid, I have no idea what the green plant is...I retreat in shame.

Huntington, AR

I'll try to redeem a little dignity....the purple plant in the background is strobilanthes (persian shield), and the purple plant in the foreground is Oxalis triangularis 'Atropurpurea' or 'Purpurea' I believe....(crossing fingers in hopes of avoiding more shame).

You got it Peaches! hahaha

Love, love, love the Oxalis! They get the cutest little white flowers on them too!

(AnjL) Fremont, CA(Zone 9b)

yeah! going to plant files... :o) guess I'll have to add another plant to my wish list :o) pictures are so dangerous for me! lol!
AnjL

Sarasota, FL

The lowest plant is Aptenia cordifolia, aka Baby Sun Rose. It's a succulent that does great here in Florida, provided it doesn't freeze or get overwatered. It'll do great in full sun, too. Flowers are like ice plant but smaller in either red or yellow.

San Gerardo de Rivas, Costa Rica(Zone 12b)

I know that plant and have seen it many times, just can't remember the name right now, lol! Your planters are absolutely gorgeous KatG, that is both the planters themselves and your choice of plants and their arrangement! You've given me lots of ideas by posting your photos, but it would be so much easier if you just come down here and plant some for me, lol. They are so colourful and cheerful!

By the way, those Oxalis triangularis are weeds here, both the green and red-leaved ones. People here can't rip them out fast enough, but I let them grow, especially when they conveniently show up in planters that I like them in! I think I'll be collecting seeds soon and adding them to my Have list.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Are the leaves of your unidentified plant variegated? The leaves look larger than baby sun rose I have. It could be Aptenia cordifolia major 'Variegata'.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/76303/

Did the bloom look like this?
http://www.highsierranursery.com/Plant%20ID/Aptenia%20cordifolia%20variegata.htm
http://www.anthorama.gr/fotos/aptenia_cordifolia5.jpg
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/cacti/msg0222204018500.html

(Zone 1)

I'm wondering if your variegated plant could be ajuga? http://www.greatgardenplants.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=75

Beautiful containers plantings by the way!

Kalpavriksha and htop...I think you've both got it! Aptenia cordifolia variegata. Thank-you! And Kal, I'm so glad to hear that it does well in Fla.

Plantladylin...The Ajuga looks very similar...just a slight variation in the leaf.

It's a really nice surprising plant and I've never seen it around here before. Picked it up at Lowes marked "accent plant" and since I''ve planted it it's spread amazingly. The little blooms are an added bonus. It will be interesting to see how it matures and grows here. I'm loving it so far.

Thank-you all so much for your help...You too Peaches! hahahaha

Vanillaman...Just give me the date! I'll come and plant in Costa Rica anytime! It's been several years since I've been there, but it's a beautiful place. We can whip those weedy Oxalis triangularis into something nobody will even identify! (smile)

Kat

This message was edited May 20, 2008 8:46 AM

Friday is good for me...I'm going to Alaska in August so I've been buying rain gear. Do I need boots? hehe

Kat

This message was edited May 20, 2008 8:48 AM

Oh no Vanilla!

I was thinking I would probably travel there by boat! (Canoe). If I leave Thursday, I should be there by Friday (May 16th). I was hoping to revisit my favorite Puntarenas, but thatís a little out of my way as Iíd have to go through the Panama Canal. Tortugeuro or Limon seem more reasonable. And besides I need to preserve all the strength I can in my arms for planting!. I want your containers to be nice! :)
Kat

Huntington, AR

I enjoyed the tortillas, as well.

What made them so special Peaches?

This message was edited Apr 9, 2008 1:46 AM

Huntington, AR

That was just a bad joke...I've never been to Costa Rica. But I'll answer anyway, and say the flour ones....

This message was edited May 20, 2008 8:49 AM

We posted at the same time Peaches! I've tried making corn tortillas, but they come out inedible. The dogs won't even eat them!

Huntington, AR

There's Taco Bell in Costa Rica!?! I wouldn't leave my wigwam, with all the mountain gorillas and giant pandas roaming the jungle!

Now that's some book learnin' right there, folks...

Huntington, AR

Next time mix hamburger in with the corn, and your dogs will likely eat them.

Huntington, AR

Ironically, I've tried making dog-food tortillas, but nobody in my family would touch them.

Huntington, AR

They're kinda snobby that way.

This message was edited May 20, 2008 8:51 AM

Huntington, AR

Naw, we save our hog jowls fer pizza night.

Yuk, can you imagine? I don't think I'll ever eat pizza again, just thinking about it!

Huntington, AR

Sometimes, though, we take our hog jowls, soak 'em in cheap whiskey and tartar sauce, and mix 'em in with our poke salad.
Ya can also set them jowls out to dry, put a brick in yer fire and then try to eat the brick, because it tastes a lot better than them whisky and tartar-soaked jowls.

I'm sure they would. What is poke salad. That sounds weird too!

Huntington, AR

There's a plant that grows around here called pokeweed, Phytolacca americana I think, poisonous but you can eat them young green shoots after ya boil 'em like spinach, then ya add in a little corn and pig fat, and ya got ya some good ol' down home southern country cookin'.

Mmmmmmm! Actually just found a great recipe, but I think ya need more of dem crap greens that whats called for!

http://www.motherlindas.com/alice_browns_poke_salad.htm

Reminder: (need to pack Pokeweed for my Canoe Trip!)

Huntington, AR

Heck, even I ain't never heard 'a no crap greens...I'll skip them, thanks, and stick to my Tartered Whiskey Jowls and Corn Poke Salad.

Huntington, AR

Just watch out when yer packing that poke, it attracts bears sometin' fierce...

Thanks Peaches...there's a lot of bears in the Caribbean Sea!

Yeah...WTH? Crap greens?

Haha, KatG wants to poison me - yikes!

Huntington, AR

I was referrin' to them giant pandas roamin' the steamy jungles of Costa Rica...Yeah,a good joke around here is to make someone a pokeberry pie, and then let them almost eat it....yeah, but don't leave it out on the counter.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.