Coleus Chatters thru April 13th....

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Good Monday Morning! I do hope all is well and the sun is shining at your house! We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/828998/#new

Let's sing....

Clean shirt, new shoes
And I dont know where I am goin to.
Silk suit, black tie,
I dont need a reason why.
They come runnin just as fast as they can
Coz every girl crazy bout a sharp dressed man.

Gold watch, diamond ring,
I aint missin a single thing.
And cufflinks, stick pin,
When I step out Im gonna do you in.
Coz every girl crazy bout a sharp dressed man.

Top coat, top hat,
I dont worry coz my wallets fat.
Black shades, white gloves,
Lookin sharp and lookin for love.
Coz every girl grazy bout a sharp dressed man

Coleus Marie

Thumbnail by Brinda
South Venice, FL(Zone 9b)

Brinda,
That Marie coleus looks smashing against the purple oxalis!
My brain is playing the ZZ Top video right now...

Cathy

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

morning ladies

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Morning,
Just passing thru on my way to bed.
Planted 3 and 1/2 bags of plants this morning.
If you belong to Costco do get the 24 stargazer type lilies. They were ever so healthy.
I have 5 clemantis and a variety of 2 others to plant.
Kathy I love that sleeping angel and am going to send one to my DMIL.
I may get one for me too. I have many sleeping angels.
Well gonna run through the shower and hop into bed.
;)

Well, I just ordered one for Frank's DM and one for me.
They turned out to be less than $30. each delivered.
Thanks Kathy for finding them.
;)

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

cat64129 sent me the link. wen mine comes and i finish the andel garden, i will post a picture

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Kathy, the angel is very sweet and I think it will make a beautiful addition to your memory garden.

Sidney, what a nice thought for you to send one to Frank's DM. Are you doing a memory garden for Frank?

We will have a memory garden this year. A couple of weeks ago when Braden was helping me pot up some phlox, I asked him if he wanted to do one for Marc's dad? (the man killed in the plane crash) And Braden decided that he wanted the tropical garden to be the memory garden.

Slidell, LA(Zone 8b)

Good morning everyone. :)

Brinda you are always a ray of sunshine! That pic is beautiful. Love the oxalis too!

these are the coleuses I bought at the garden show Saturday:

Pat Martin
Dark Star
Splash
Jade
Florida City Yalaha (I don't think this had the correct id in it - doesn't look like the pics I saw on here last night)
and one unknown - large leaf, bright light green outside with some maroon spot, maroon and then a kinda light bright pink - no name on it
These were the only varieties they had so I scooped up on one of each. Some of them are kinda leggy and am thinking about taking cuttings.

Thumbnail by Ems_Garden
Slidell, LA(Zone 8b)

another

Thumbnail by Ems_Garden
Slidell, LA(Zone 8b)

drats!

Slidell, LA(Zone 8b)

Oh - didn't think it worked at first - can anyone id that large leaf one?

This message was edited Apr 7, 2008 8:31 AM

Thumbnail by Ems_Garden
Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Em... wait awhile, Dave is working on the servers now. Things will be better in awhile. I can't view anything and most threads are taking forever to load right now. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/830957/#new

Slidell, LA(Zone 8b)

ok coleus experts - whats best way to root cuttings? water?/ root starter??

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Em, what works for one doesn't always work for someone else. I normally root indoors in water in the spring with great results. But I also root in soil with great results. Springtime is a wonderful time for rooting! Experiment and see how it goes for you. This weekend I stuck some cuttings in perlite and I really think that I'm going to like that too.

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

Hey ladies, I'm at lunch so stopped in to say hi.
I got a coleus Friday but no tag to tell me what it is. But its a keeper.LOL
Lets hope I have a green house by fall.

Where can I see the angel Sugar is talking about? I love angels and light houses.

Lavina

Stockholm, Sweden

Ems_Garden,
your large-leaved ones reminds me of Kong Rose.

But there are of course other possibilities, these colors are not uncommon for coleus.

Alice

Just running thru on my way to work.
All my gardens are memorial Brinda. When I moved here it was at my DGM's urging. We called her 'Mama' and she loves my garden.
I have certain spots for her, 'Papa', myDD, of course my DM, my Aunt Annebele, and now Frank.
I always feel immensely close to all of them in my garden.
Frank slept a great deal so I found the sleeping angel fitting.
Sidney

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

I buy plants that are named after my lost loved ones. My dad's name was Jim, he was Bohemian Czech, and a piano player. I have Jim's Song daylilies and Bohemia after Dark. My little brother Michael loved great cooking, so I bought Magical Michael basil. My SisterInLaw's name was Patty, so I have Patty's Pink daylilies. My departed family blooms around me all year long, and when I walk around in the quiet morning with my cup of coffee, I say goodmorning to all of them as the blooms pop open. It's like they're here with me. :)

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

em, that coleus looks like the one i seen today at lows. all it said was kong

Have ya'll seen this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuuesBhOR9g
Too sweet!
;)

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

I loved it Sidney, thanks!

Good Morning everyone! I'm ready for this tropical co-op to end. LOL I'm ready to get outside and start planting. We should be safe here after the 15th and I am soooo ready. When will you plant outdoors? (I know all you Floridians & Georgians are already enjoying the outdoors)

How is everyone today? I hope all is well on your homefront and you manage to accomplish everything you set out to do today!!!

Ted? Did you have storm damage last night? Hope all is well!

Love to all...

Stockholm, Sweden

Hi,
thanks sidney, it was a great film, and this is my favourite:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU8DDYz68kM

It's a little long, but boy is it thrilling...... And I love surprise happy endings!!!

;-))
Alice

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

I just got this in an email. Eeeewwwww... gives me chill bumps! What would you do?

Drive or wait?

Thumbnail by Brinda
South Venice, FL(Zone 9b)

Wow, it's movie day today! Where's my popcorn?

Brinda, that would be one heck of a speed bump...
I can't wait to get the tropicals from the coop- they will look so nice interplanted with coleus!

Ems_garden, I forgot to post on how nice your new babies are looking.

I usually root cuttings in a mix of perlite and vermiculite, just because that's what handy and it seems to work well.

Hope everyone has a splendid day!

Cathy

Stockholm, Sweden

Brinda,
drive over him??? You don't even think it, do you???? What a big beauty he is. If he comes here I'll feed him with mealy bug filled coleus and flies, but I will not invite him indoors since my cats and I would be in great danger - LOL.

Alice

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Oh Alice, you and I differ there! I see nothing of beauty in any kind of snake. LOL

I might think about driving over... but I couldn't do it. Even if I hate snakes so much, I would have a tough time killing them, with or without a vehicle.

Well my dear pretties I'd roll up the windows and go back and forth and back and forth however long it took to end it's life.
Thhsat snake isn't native tyo this country and if iit was I'd still do all I could to kill it.
I feel the same way about un-native invasive plants such as Kuzu.
Now to try to go to sleep again.
;)

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

I made it this week...hope all are well.

Sidney, that YOUTUBE is sure a keeper. Hope to garden today, but it looks like rain. Maybe something can get done.

Love to all

Hap

The test of a true plant nerd, they pull weeds in the rain. Especially when it's 75º out.
LOL

Stockholm, Sweden

Weeeeeelll, Sidney,
......coming to think, coleus ain't native to Florida are they???

No no please, dont' walk over me now! Don't kill me!!! hahahhahahaha

Joke aside, in my opinion, if it's not native it should be caught alive and transported to its original habitat somewhere!

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

I would ride shotgun in Sugarweeds care and cheer her on!

:D

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

'Mornin All,

I'm back! I will try not to fill my post with tales of woe, but I will give you a brief update so you know where I've been and where I am now. (I have absolutely no idea where I'm going next, LOL.) I see a lot of new faces on the board....welcome! For those of you who do not know me, I've been living in uncertainty since my company was bought out by a swedish corporation a few months ago. My contract was up on the first of April, and for a few weeks prior to it's expiration the company worked us 12 hours a day 7 days a week. When they had built a large enough inventory they offered us a new contract... ....one that raised our insurance and cut our wages almost in half. Of course we did not agree to the new contract and were immediately locked out of the building where the pre-hired scabs were already in place waiting to do our jobs.

So I now find myself jobless. But what better time for that to happen? I have days where I'm very bitter (I worked there almost 25 years) and days when I'm very scared. I have days I feel sad and days I feel vengeful. But most days I'm happy to have a little freedom to do what I love most which is being outside playing in the yard and doting on my seedlings. I have spent the last 5 days playing catch-up on everything that was sooooo neglected during my 84 hour work-weeks, and still have a long way to go.

During those long work-weeks my GH was brought in and set in place and I didn't even know it! It was dark when I left for work and dark when I came home, so I never caught so much as a glimpse. I had a suspicion that things were not going to bode well with the new contract and started hauling my personal possessions home. I was lamenting to my mother about lack of space for the 2 dozen house plants that had once filled my office, and she lauged and said, "you've not been in your back yard for awhile, have you?" Wooohooo, I finally have my green house!! So Saturday I hauled the biggest share of my plants out there then held my breath to see how they would do their first night out. Happily most seem to have adapted well with the coleus being the biggest complainers. Go figure....the finicky little buggers. It's all a huge experiment though, and I will have to learn as I go.

I think I participated in every co-op that was offered on DG and I am REALLY scrambling to get all the new babies on the ground. Good Lord what did I think I was going to do with all this stuff? LOL! So even though I am no longer punching the time clock I'm as busy as the proverbial one-armed wallpaper hanger and running around like the equally famed headless chicken. So much to do, so few hours of daylight!

This message was edited Apr 8, 2008 10:06 AM

Newport News, VA(Zone 11)

Yes, I'll take the back seat then Merry and bring the shotgun just in case!

Imagine if it started breeding near your house...OOOH too scary.

Stockholm, Sweden

Lala,
lovely to see you here again. I've heard your story before, and has nothing to add apart from the overtaking company being Norwegian and not Swedish. Anyway, it will still be the same "shame on" me, since I'm Norwegian living in Sweden. I want to say I'm sorry on behalf of my illdoing countrymen. Business is business, and as usual they act from purely economically reasons with no room for kindness and humanity, sigh. It makes me sick to hear your story, I feel so sorry for you - after 25 years just being kicked out like this. Money makes the world go round, and many tears flowing.......

I will think of something to cheer you up. Look in your dmail now and then.

Love ya,
Alice

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

Brinda, last week I read all week , yesterday I started training,. Its just the front end of the job I had for 36 years so I am gonna enjoy it. It has put some puzzle pieces in place for me.
I would kill that snake, there is a rapid growth in the Everglades of these rascals and they are not native in the USA so it can eat your animals or squeeze them to death. I would skid accross it and resid
accross it in a army tank. Then I would get a ozzie and put holes all thru it.

Love the angel

Lavina

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

Alice, bless your heart, LOL. You are too sweet! And you are so far removed from the evil of big business that than I cannot put the two things in the same sentance. Do not fret for me my friend. I am a survivor and will land on my feet. ;-)

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Lala good thing happen to good people.. it will all work out. Enjoy your freedom and try to focus on the positive.. I'm sorry for your loss, it seems so unjust.
I too have goodiez for you!

Stockholm, Sweden

Lala, of course you will land on your feet, but you will land more softly with good friends caring for you!

Reading your posts, I realize that I have to kill all my coleus. Everyone has to go. They are not native in Sweden and they are taking over this house comepletly. This house is filled with coleus. I will find my gun and go coleus hunting all over the place.

boom boom boom
dead coleus everywhere.

LOL
Alice

Stockholm, Sweden

OK.

No coleus harmed. They put their branches in the air and begged for their life. I love them too much, so I threw away the gun. But.....they ARE taking over here, so..... I might have done something stupid not getting rid of them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.