Please show off photos of your vines..

Canyon Country, CA(Zone 9a)

I'd love to see photos of vines growing in your yard, but not close-up photos. I'd love to see the entire vine, as to get a better idea how big they really are and how it fits in certain spaces in your yard.. I wonder if I should also put this in the landscaping forum?

(Zone 6a)

Here's a picture of Heavenly Blue morning glories growing with a Trumpet Vine (Campsis radicans), they're both growing in full sun. The picture is from last summer.

Steven

Thumbnail by SW_gardener
(Zone 6a)

Heres another veiw.

Thumbnail by SW_gardener
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Bignonia capreolata Crossvine

This vine was originally trained up into the tree with an ornamental chain. The chain is no longer there and the vine supports itself now. It is anchored to the corner of the deck stairs. There is another section growing up another chain I placed there last summer, it's going straight up in the back ground.

Taken from my kitchen window.

Rj

Thumbnail by rjuddharrison
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

The Murtonii Bars

Beaumontia Murtonii (cousin of the Grandiflora)

With grande hopes that the vine blooms this year, I've fashioned a monkey bar styled trellis that has a slight slope so that when the vine blooms - it will be seen from many areas of the garden. This vine is a cousin of the Beaumontia Grandiflora, except that it is a repeat bloomer, and the flowers are shallower and wider than the Grandiflora. The vine is planted in the ground at the edge of the deck. It's approximately 30 feet long and 2 years old.

In case your wondering what the dryer hose looking thing is, it's a tube light bought at Ikea that has LED lights inside, illuminating the entire area with a pleasant luminous light at night. I've yet to place it in a more permanent location.

(Zone 6a)

Rj, that Bignonia is gorgeous!!! Just curious, how old is it?

Steven

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi Steven,

It is about 4 or 5 years old now.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

RJ - are those Neo's (Broms) on your tree to the right?

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Yes, they are- They are sprouting all sorts of new pups...

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

You simply can't say things like that out loud...seriously...it encourages me to start my shameless begging...

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

LOL,
I've not cut it before. how about if I let some of the pups grow on there for a bit and find the best place to take some off. (like the end of it huh?),. They are very cool to grow..just stick on the tree and they keep going. I got it from a guys life time collection of bromeliads. He couldn't keep up with them anymore. he had so many that the bromeliad society was at the sale nabbing what they could. I had heard about the sale from a friend and we got to go before anyone else could get their paws on them. I scored quite a pile of them that you don't see for sale at most places.

Nassau County, NY(Zone 7a)

Here is a trumpet vine growing on a fence, I prune it all of the time so it does not get out of control. Very easy to root from cuttings. The blooms are beautiful and very orange. Love it, love it! Clemen

Thumbnail by Clemen
San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

I've been thinking of getting a trumpet vine forever, but the "invasiveness factor" has been keeping me from doing it...now you're giving me second thoughts! lol! Do you have Bignonia or Campsis Radicans? I can never tell between the two...

Robcorreia, or is it Rob, mmmmmm cannot tell, anyway, do not be afraid, from my experience, this vine does not produce seeds like other vines, I see that the branches fall to the ground and that is where you get new babies, i just pull them, clip them and this way it does not get out of hand. If you would like a cutting WITH ROOTS, let me know d mail, I love to share my plant babies. I do not know what specimens I have. I got a cutting of this plant about 11 years ago, sold the house where it was growing, took a cutting and plant it in my new house, then I bought another house and the picture above that you see, the vine is about three years old, and clipping it is no problem. If you are tempted, put it in a pot, just to try it and then decide whether it should go in the yard or not! SHE is beautiful though, and when she blooms I AM IN HEAVEN!!! Clemen

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Hmmm..mabe I will take mine out of it's shackles and let it go too!

Queen Creek, AZ(Zone 8b)

I think it's Roberta, if I'm not mistaken. And RJ, post more pics of your jungle paradise, please! Just beautiful!

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Yes it's Roberta! : )
Clemen, I would love to have a cutting. What the heck, it's so beautiful, if it spreads I'll just enjoy it!
I'll Dmail you.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

LOL,
okay...this picture is of a newly re-landscaped portion of the garden.
It used to be the "Brug Forrest" - there were nothing but brugs..but they've become too many and high maintenance during the summer so I removed 14 trees - left two, and re-landscaped with large boulders- and...I had a canopy I bought off the floor from Home Depot last summer..I got the tape measure out and it was too big to fit in the places I wanted..but...the walls of the canopy are great- and I've incorporated them into the landscaping...they make great trellis, and architechual interest, while being able to see through them doesn't "wall" off or block the view. I sat a couple of pots of Jade vines down just to get them out of my way and they are already to the top of the trellis/walls..I'll have some unwinding to do - as I hadn't intended on leaving them there.. I don't think they're in the pict though.
This is from rear of the garden looking towards the house and deck.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

This is how I dealt with a tree in the way of building the deck.

It's like having a giant umbrella!

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Stu-nning!!! ok, now i am definitely sold on the trumpet vine!

Roberta, I will send you your cutting with roots and all! Rjudharrison, your vine is absolutely DIVINE! Clemen

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

here is another unorthodox trellis-
This is a coconut ladder I got in Thailand. I shipped a bunch of stuff over, so I threw in a few coconut ladders. They make great trellis..tall ...30 feet.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

It hosts the local -giant potato vine. the first leaves of the season get larger every year. Last year they spanned more than a foot accross.

rjudharrison, I guess this is not the same as the potato vine we grwo over here, it looks different. How nice! Clemen

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I can't be sure...this is originally a vine from Central America that has learned to adapt here by going dormant in the winter. The vine produces it's offspring by a pototo looking tubor..it looks very much like a potato.
This is what the vine looks like the rest of the year after it produces it's first giant leaves.

Wauchula, FL(Zone 9b)

My Garlic Vine. This vine can get huge but I keep it trimmed to a smaller size.

This message was edited Apr 17, 2008 9:28 PM

Thumbnail by Rene10
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I love the garlic vine...very pretty-- I like the smell too

Definetely, it is not the potato vine we grow as an annual here! Yours is lovely! Clem

Wauchula, FL(Zone 9b)

Those air potato vines are a huge invasive mess here in Fl. They grow & cover everything.

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

Here is a bloom from my honeysuckle.

Thumbnail by jlp222
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

okay..you got me to look things up...
this variety is
Air Potato
Dioscorea bulbifera
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/32235/
It has pictures of the potato like seed.

And the one you probably have is the sweet potato vine?

jlp222, i love the smell of honeysucles! yours looks lovely! Clemen

(Zone 6a)

Ooo, I love the garlic vine! If got one I bet I could winter it indoors......hehehehe

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Oh my, Rj I loooooove this potato vine! I am going to look it up on plant files right now! Wow! Gorgeous, truly amazing. I love vines!!! : )
Clem, thanks so much for the trumpet vine, you guys are getting me hooked on a new addiction, lol!

by the way: do any of you guys have BLUE flowering vines? My house is blue and last night I had this "lightbulb" moment where I realized blue flowers would look very pretty on my front yard.

Roberta, try morning glories, easy to grow and they have one that is blue, I forgot what it is called. I got seeds the other day and I am growing them!
Rjudharrison, I think your air potato vine does not bloom right? I have to show my mom a picture of it so she can tell me what it is. She is an expert on tropical plants, especially Central America, that is where she and I am from, but I left when I was so little that have forgotten a lot of plant stuff.
That Garlic vine looks lovely! Clemen

Wauchula, FL(Zone 9b)

Be careful with that air potato vine, It is very invasive!

Winter Park, FL

Yeee Gods !!! .......... I can't imagine anyone in their right mind purposely planting one of these horrendous potato vines on their property. Here in Florida - they take over everything that they touch - and they spread like fire in a pine forest! I live on the edge of a wetland area - and periodically we have to go in a strip them from the trees and shrubs so they don't kill everything they cover. Those innocent looking little "potatos" get spread far and wide - and lay dormant for a while; then ............... boom !!! - they sprout and take over the neighborhood. Sort of the vegetative equivalent of roaches! That all being said - if one of my neighbors decided to cultivate them - I'd make a midnight roundup run until the thought of growing them was only a memory!

John

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Yes, it does not bloom, just has big leaves.
I think for those of us who have winters find it more manageable as it dies each year. I just pick the potato tubors off the ground so they new ones don't grow. But then, I have clerodendrum bungeis, castor bean trees and a number of other maligned plants..I just pull them up...not really a problem for me.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Note to self...get rid of the ones given to me....yikes

Johntique, if it is invassive in your area, it probably is becuase you are in a much warmer climate than rjudharrison. It does look like a nice plant, but I do agree with you that sometimes plants can get very annoying. Today, for example I was lifting so many purple loofstrife, it is invasive in the norheast part of the country, but I still LOVE it! Purple bloosons most of the summer, but you need to keep at it, get rid of all of the new babies or give them away to your friends if they want them. Today, I decided to keep them, and will place them all over my property where it is shady, if they survice, good for them, if they do not tough luck!
ANYWAY, RJUDHARRISON, enjoy your baby as long as you can keep her in control, just like I do my with plants, CLEM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.