Coleus Chatters thru April 20th...

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Good Morning all you Coleus Fanatics! I'm hoping that this is the last of our cold and everything is warm weather after this week! We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/831667/#new Ha! And Kell used to call us verbose!!! Welcome home, Kell!

Today is devoted to Patsy Cline! I remember my Sweet Mom listening to this when I was a kid. I still sing it almost as good as Patsy can sing it. LOL

Sing along everyone....

Crazy
I'm Crazy for feeling so lonely
I'm crazy
Crazy for feeling so blue

I knew
You'd love me as long as you wanted
And then someday
You'd leave me for somebody new

Worry
Why do I let myself worry
Wond'rin'
What in the world did I do

Crazy
For thinking that my love could hold you
I'm crazy for tryin'
and Crazy for cryin'
And I'm crazy
For lovin' you

Crazy
For thinking that my love could hold you
I'm crazy for tryin'
and Crazy for cryin'
And I'm crazy
For lovin' you

Coleus Shocking Pink

Thumbnail by Brinda
Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Sidney, are your plans to work on the yard now? How fun is that going to be? I know you... don't overdo it, take it slow & easy.

Kell, I loved the pic of the driveway. Doesn't Tom love it too? LOL I bet he's ready for tax season to be over. Just think, one more day!!!! I'm waiting on my accountant to call me today with the good news. He said he'd let me know how much money I had coming in to spend on plants! LOL

Janet, I love that butterfly house. That looks like some fun that Xander needs. The koi were supposed to be fun for Xman but they turned out to be more fun for the neighbor's cat! Arg!!!

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

morning miss brinda. how goes it?

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Hey Kathy, I'm puttering around with a cup of coffee in my hands. And looking at each little baby plant in my kitchen. The coffee needs to kick in pretty quick, I have well over 3000 babies to look at this morning. LOL

How are you? Did you have cold weather last night or is it hitting you tonight? I have sheets over many of my tropicals as I just didn't have the energy to lug them all back inside.

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

brinda, i enjoyed our chat. thank you

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Thanks Kathy, that was fun! Maybe I should call you on Monday mornings and sing my song to you? LOL I can't get it out of my head today.

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

i'll be looking forward to monday mornings

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Don't speak too soon... I'm not a very good singer! LOLOL

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

thats ok its still worth it

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Quoting:

When the sun in the morning peeps over the hill
And kisses the roses 'round my window sill
Then my heart fills with gladness when I hear the trill
Of the birds in the treetops on Mockingbird Hill

Tra la la, tweedle dee dee dee
It gives me a thrill
To wake up in the morning
To the mockingbird's trill
Tra la la tweedle dee dee dee
There's peace and good will
You're welcome as the flowers
On Mockingbird Hill

Got a three-cornered plow and an acre to till
And a mule that I bought for a ten-dollar bill
There's a tumble-down shack and a rusty old mill
But it's my Home Sweet Home up on Mockingbird Hill
It gives me a thrill
On Mockingbird Hill

When it's late in the evening I climb up the hill
And survey all my kingdom while everything's still
Only me and the sky and an old whippoorwill
Singin' songs in the twilight on Mockingbird Hill

It gives me a thrill
On Mockingbird Hill

I was trying to write it from memory and hit 'I feel lucky' on Google and was pleased to find the words and melody there.

You know Willie Nelson wrote 'Crazy'.
I was just checking that fact and if you Google 'Crazy' and hit the 'I feel Lucky' button you sure don't get Patsy Cline. However I rather enjoyed what I did get.
Kell, your driveway is terrific. I was just out surveying all my babies in the backyard. they are coming right along/
Ah yes, TAXES!
Those come before the yard I think I can get them done by tomorrow night.
I will then hit "send".
I just ordered 2 pair of 'Life Stride' sandals from QVC. When you order online, no state sales tax.
I think I could go back to work here immediately, but I am just bushed!
Sidney

Sidney

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

OMG sidney, i love that song

MANSFIELD, AR(Zone 7a)

I love the song too. My mother used to sing it and it always reminds me of her.

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Good job Sidney, I remember my Mom listening to that song too!

Oh Sidney, I have to google every song lyric. LOL There is not way I could remember all the words, even though I sing like I know all the words! LOL

Sidney!!! Get those taxes done before you play!!! My accountant just called and I'm so happy!

Well, Patsy Cline has been running through my head all morning. And then my brain started to wander a bit and think of Jim Reeves. So, of course.... we'll have a third song for the day. Don't you just love it?

I fall to pieces
Each time I see you again
I fall to pieces
How can I be just your friend

You want me to act like weve never kissed
You want me to forget, pretend weve never met
And Ive tried and Ive tried but I havent yet
You walk by, and I fall to pieces

I fall to pieces
Each time someone speaks your name
I fall to pieces
Time only adds to the flame

You tell me to find someone else to love
Someone wholl love me, too, the way you used to do
But each time I go out with someone new
You walk by and I fall to pieces

(I fall to pieces)
(I fall to pieces)

You tell me to find someone else to love
Someone wholl love me too, the way you used to do
But each time I go out with someone new
You walk by and I fall to pieces

(I fall to pieces)
(I fall to pieces)

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

brinda, no more dial- up! i'm finally out of the stone age

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

YIPEE for you jordan....,,

Great, huh?

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

yeah, i can realy fly now. just have to find the brakes

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Yippeee Kathy, Welcom to the 21st Century!!! LOL

Arg... co-op stuff... co-op stuff...

I'm gonna be seeing numbers flash in my head all night again tonight. LOL

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

relax brinda, and have a cocktail

Yipee Kathy,
I just got on speed internet last month.
I went back to bed this morning and got up just in time to go get my check.
It takes me a few to catch up on my rest.
The lows for tonight have been adjusted to 42º.
Chilly tonight, tomorrow and the next night, then back up to the mid 50s at night.
Pheadra are you having to throw bed sheets over everything tonight?
Sidney

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

All you people to the east... you're getting the weather that we had last night. We hauled some stuff back in the garage, but for the most part I ended up throwing sheets over everything else. It all looked great this morning....

Keep all those babies warm & snug!

Sidney, do you feel rested now? I don't think that I would, it would probably take me about a week to be able to function properly (not sure I even do now) after working the hours that you've worked.

Joyce??? Where are you? Are you writing another article? Oh, maybe you're playing in the dirt? Are you coming to Oklahoma with Sidney this summer?

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

we got sleet hail, and freezing rain today.
good afternoon sidney, or should that be good morning

Wake Forest, NC(Zone 7b)

Hey, I really enjoyed all the good old songs but when do I get to hear about coleus? I mainly want to know where the big leaf ones came from. I've seen coleus since my Mother used to root them in water (during WW II) but these big leaf ones are new to me since about 3years ago. Anybody know?

pbyrley,
Welcome to the coleus thread and so sorry about our singing this morning.
Joyce knows the most about where the Kong Coleus are from. The newer ones are from India and Africa.
I love those big ole things but the leaves are too tender for survival here.
I love the town of Wake Forest too. I used to go thru there on the way to Eastern North Carolina.
You can root coleus in water but they get better root system in soil.
Sidney

(Zone 9b)

Welcome Pbyrley. I too do not like the Kong coleus. They never grew much for me. Check out all the new sun coleus. Great colors.

Kathy, are you sure no hangovers with premium vodka? That does not quite sound right to me. LOL. Did you personally put that theory to the test?

So Brinda, are you saying I am talking too much??? Crush me with a spoon. Just for that, I will not talk to you for a few days. I bet you miss me so much! LOL. And besides, I do rock and roll. No Patsy Cline for me. Your choices today sound like your love life sucks, and I know that is not true. LOL Or are the 3,000 plants in your kitchen finally getting to Allan?

Sidney and Kathy, just think of all the extra time you guys will now have to have fun! I hate it when my Internet connections are slow.

Girls - they want to have fun
That's all they really want
Some fun
When the working day is done
Girls - they want to have fun
Oh girls just want to have fun,
They want to have fun,
They want to have fun....

Disaster struck 1 tray of my coleus cuttings. We have had high high winds today and somehow my whole tray of cuttings flipped over. What a mess!! I am so glad though that no rain or sleet or hail here!

I found this so cute arisaema blooming today.

Thumbnail by Kell
Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

kell, yes i put the vodka to the test. if i drink cheap vodka, i can't get out of bed in the morning. so i drink the premium (right now i have 100proof) absolute.oh yeah, eat something when your done eating, even if its only cheese and crackers

FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

MerryMary,

Sorry it took so long to get the mojito recipe here. Long days right now in my business. This is what I've been doing and I love it!

2 ounces of Bacardi Limon Rum
5 crushed mint leaves
juice of one lime
3/4 ounce of simple syrup

Mix together and top off with club soda in an ice filled glass.

Juanita

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

brinda, i found my song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXMQ0XEIG0Y

FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

Well I';ve gone and done it now. Maybe Brinda and I can get a place together after this one. She can bring all her illicit plant purchases and I can bring my worms. I just ordered a new worm bin. DH is going to scream bloody murder. I am hoping I can hide it in the garage for a while since he is very unobservant. Normally he doesn't get too upset about things, but last Fall when I decide to start vermicomposting, he really got ticked off. I made two bins from an article here on Dave's and got 3,000 worms. Well they have done very well and the resulting castings are amazing in their affect on my plants. unfortunately harvesting is a pain in the butt. I have to hand pick out the worms to get to the good stuff. So I ordered a new system with trays so they can migrate upwards out of the castings. Thus my problem. DH would like these guys to go away, and now I just gave them a better home. Hope they will share it with me. :0) Hopefully the box will arrive and I can get it up here before he notices. When the other bins disappear he will just think I finally succumbed to his request to get rid of the worms. Keep your fingers crossed ladies and gentlemen. Could get hot in Virginia sooner than expected. :0)

Juanita

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

good luck with the worms and husband. tell him to put on his big boy britches and deal with it. you and your worms can always come to my house if it gets too hot there

Arlington, GA(Zone 8a)

Juanita, Sounds like you are going to have lots of fun playing in the "dirt" You can tell hubby it is a business plan, The leftovers you don't use you can bag up and sell, I have wanted to try the worm fertilizers, But I am afraid it would encourage the nasy earth digging, Flower uprooting ARMADILLOS to enjoy our gardens even more.

Good morning everyone. I am off to work. Have a great day!

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Oh my!!! You all have me laughing so much this morning and I don't have time to even comment! I'll BRB... got co-op bidniz to take care of right now!

Kathy, you got a big house? Looks like we're gonna need one!

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

BEEEP!!!!

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Beep beep Hap!!!

Welcome pbyrley, Monday is our singing day but it got out of hand. LOL Welcome to an addiction that will be forever...

I swear Kell, if you had to go a day without talking to me... you would feel so lost. Just like I would feel lost! LOL You're much too funny!!! I too am a rock n roll type of person, but when I woke up yesterday my thoughts were... 'you are so out of control... you are crazy'! That is why Patsy Cline's Crazy got stuck in my head. And then it just got worse as the day went along. Anyway, how could my love-life be anything with a house full of plants. He's so stressed at work and then comes home to a bit more stress, having to tip toe around everywhere. LOL

Kathy... I loved your song!!!! I don't think I can even drink premium vodka. Just a few sips of that stuff makes me feel like I drank diesel the next day. Ugh! I'm a cheap date!!!

Juanita, thanks for the recipe. I'm gonna give that a try... SOON!
And I sure hope you manage to get the old worm house out and the new bin in before your DH finds out. You sound so much like me! LOL I'm forever doing something and then trying to hide it. Normally my DH does notice so I must not be too good at the game.

If things don't work out for us, at least Kathy has a place for us to lay our weary head at night. LOL And she probably has better gardening opportunities for us too. I have a beautiful vision in my head right now!

Sidney, did you get all rested up and taxes done? I sure hope so and I hope you get plenty of time to play in the dirt today.

Today is the day! The co-op is over and I just have a few that I'm waiting on payment from and I will be a free woman again! LOL I'm really shocked at how well everything went and what wonderful people we have here on DG. Gotta run for now.

Love to all....

Happy Birthday Pheadra!!!!!

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

or would ya rather be a mule TEE HEE, sorry, can't get the song out of my head

(Zone 9b)

Good morning all coleus lovers!

I have always wanted a worm bin, well I have the bin but no worms. I never put it together. Maybe you can give us lessons rvnsbrk. Good luck with your husband!!! Been there, done that. I do buy bags of worm castings and mix it in with my potting soil.

Kathy, my problem is I just can't seem to drink much anymore. I have 1 or at most 2 drinks and I am done. Old age!! Now I do drink lots of sake on date night sushi night.

I am fast on my way out for a great day at Filoli where I walk around pretending it is my yard and a high caloric lunch at Pasta Moon that has my favorite dessert.

Meyer Lemon Parfait
Lemon Curd, Italian Meringue, Lemon Sorbetto,
Passionfruit Caramel Sauce

Does that sound so sinful???? It is.

I just love girls day out! Hope you all have the BEST day!!! Celebrate Brin, your work is done.

Shoot, I have Crazy stuck in my brain too.

Thumbnail by Kell

Morning, or rather afternoon all.
I slept till 11:45 and have misplaced my layoff check.
My darling Henry appears to be in great pain and I fear I may have to put him to sleep.
I'm catching up with my laundry and have put my tax prep on hold. I will get it done this week.
Last night I went to a North Shores community meeting and was told once again that I can claim the whole alley.
I need to call JEA about the survey markings in my front yard.
So much to do, so little time.
And I too am soooooooo sorry Mary didn't take that Archer Exit last month.
;)

FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

Oh Sidney, I will be thinking of Henry and you. That was the toughest thing I ever had to do when our old dog was in pain and fading. There is not a thing I can say that will make it better.

Blessed be,
Juanita

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Sidney and pondmeme - I LOVE Mockingbird Hill because my Mom also used to sing it or hum it when she was doing housework in her 50's dress. What a nice memory that brought back!
Louise

Thanks Juanita,
I have narrowed it down to his teeth I think. He's a bit of a junk food addict.
We'll take all the prayers I can get.
I am really enjoying recovery from this job.
Sidney

Pearl River, LA

I feel so dumb and out of the loop. Brinda what are you talking about a co-op. I have looked for a site or info and I just don't know whats going on. Did I miss something big? Things around here are popping. Got the green house put together and started some repairs on the old homestead. We secured the roof and are replacing the front porch for a start. Can hardly wait to get the rocking chairs rocking and hear the rain on the metal roof again. PP just said to get at least three rockers..lol We will be using it for an over sized closet for Sandy's Stuff right now and room by room it as we go along. What fun. It is the oldest home in our area. It dates to 1904. Katrina messed it up some but it withstood the winds much better than other buildings in the area. It is good to get back on our pre Katrina track of fixing it up. Some of my coleus around the tree got nipped last night but I think they will survive. I put all the babies in the new gh and they are fine. It is supposed to hit 40 tonight so I have to go cover things again..Have fun.. I love the song. I have lots of mocking birds and have been singing that song. How funny is that....Sugarweed I am so sorry to hear about Henry I am praying he will be all right. I still miss my cat Billy and he has been gone for years....shirleyt

This message was edited Apr 15, 2008 6:12 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.