Boiling water to kill weeds etc ??

Myrtle Beach, SC(Zone 8b)

I read on some forum that using boiling water on weeds etc would kill them. Anyone have more info on this

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Found this info for you.... http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/weeds/2002105058024260.html
also read only feasible for small areas and be careful not to get it on anything you want to keep.
I personally have never tried it, but I'm going to try it in the cracks in my driveway, no chance of over spray there.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Yes, it is one way to get rid of weeds. It's not the most useful method though since first of all you're running around with a pot of boiling water to spill on yourself, and also you have to work fast so that the water is still really hot by the time you get it to the weeds, and if it's hot enough to kill the weeds it's also hot enough to kill your plants and it's hard to control where it goes when you pour it. Driveway cracks are a definite good place for it though. For the garden, you might try using vinegar instead if you're looking for a more friendly way to kill weeds. You can paint it on or spray it on which gives you a little more control over where it goes (it'll kill your plants too so you do need to be careful). I've heard it works better when you apply it on a hot day.

Maine, United States(Zone 5b)

I learned recently that there is a vinegar that you can buy at Home Depot or a garden center that is a higher strength than you get with the household vinegar from the grocery store. Which makes sense to me, since I didn't have any luck when I tried using my household vinegar on weeds. I agree with ecrane that traipsing around the yard with a pot of boiling water is fairly problematic...I've done it to get rid of ants. And yes, it killed the grass around the anthills, too.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Ecrane, have you tried the vinegar? We were talking about it last year on the mid atlantic forum here's our discussion on that...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/738137/
Seems you need stronger vinegar than what you have in the pantry.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

oh too funny, I was typing while noreaster was mentioning the same thing, lol

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I actually haven't tried it, as un-fun as it sounds I actually hand pull all my weeds (or on occasion pay someone else to hand pull them for me!). I've got too many plants and way too much wind to risk spraying anything, and I've got too many weeds to go after them all with a paintbrush, by the time I've painted one I could have pulled 10!

That's my feeling too, ecrane. I just pull them by hand. People told me last year in the hosta forum that I could use weed killer to control my Lily of the Valley, if necessary, so that is one thing that I may one day use weed killer on...LOTV sure doesn't come out easily by hand.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

And I couldn't get any of my lily of the valley, that I planted, to grow.... go figure

I wish I had that problem, flowerjen. Let's just say mine is very happy, lol. I have it planted with my hostas, and I wasn't sure if it was so aggressive that it would eventually hurt or kill the hostas around it. I thought I could paint any that started to get too close with the weed killer.

There is also one particular type of weed in my yard that doesn't come out easily by hand, but I just live with it.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

We have some weeds here I didn't have at my old house and it seems nothing kills them...one being mouse eared chickweed and I still can't find a pic of the other one to identify it.

Myrtle Beach, SC(Zone 8b)

Thanks for your comments. The particular weed I am trying to eradicate( if not just control) is Smilax (common name greenbriar) This vine is very obnoxious and it will hurt you with its thorns. I am clearing a side yard and this THING will climb up anything it can or can not attach to clear up to the sun!! It's bulbs or roots are the size of large sweet potatoes and are in my case are in clumps the size of 2 basket balls. I broke a shovel trying to pry them out of the ground. I hav e read that they produce runners 100 feet away from the original root. This is true. I boiled water (and hoped that no one one was watching) and poured it on the exposed bulbs and after 4 days the bulbs came right out. So- for this type of very nasty vine the boiling water worked. I would not try this if I had any plants that I cared about near.

nowhere land, NY(Zone 6b)

I hope the boiling water works as I just dumped six huge pots of boiling water on a patch of lily of the valley to kill them off so I can plant daylily and some attractive ground cover that blooms all summer into fall. I tried digging up the area, root system and all and it was so matted, it was close to impossible to dig up. Crossing fingers. I hate LOTV-it should be outlawed for nurseries to sell in the northeast . It only blooms for a very short time, then by september it get rusty and ugly looking. Why would someone actually plant this thing.

Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

The boiling water should work...I have scorched plants before accidentally by letting the hose lay out in the sun and then getting water on the leaves...it wasn't boiling out of the hose, just scalding, but it can kill a small plant, especially one in a container.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

It should definitely kill the leaves...what I wonder though is whether it got down far enough into the ground while it was still hot enough to kill the roots.

nowhere land, NY(Zone 6b)

Well it seems to have done a good job-it also loosened the root system up so I could dig it up and pull out the mats of roots. Horrible plant-worse than ivy to get rid of. I like to plant things that are easy to move should I happen to change around a layout in the garden. These things are nightmares along with vinca and ivy. Will be trying this method next with a small patch of vinca.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images