Coleus Chatters thru April 27th...

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Good Morning everyone and what a beautiful weekend. I do hope that everyone had a chance to get out and enjoy the gorgeous weather!!!

Let's start our day with a little bit of CCR....

Early in the evenin' just about supper time,
Over by the courthouse they're starting to unwind.
Four kids on the corner trying to bring you up.
Willy picks a tune out and he blows it on the harp.

Down On The Corner, out in the street,
Willy and the Poorboys are playin';
Bring a nickel; tap your feet.

Rooster hits the washboard and people just got to smile,
Blinky, thumps the gut bass and solos for a while.
Poorboy twangs the rhythm out on his kalamazoo.
Willy goes into a dance and doubles on kazoo.

You don't need a penny just to hang around,
But if you've got a nickel, won't you lay your money down?
Over on the corner there's a happy noise.
People come from all around to watch the magic boy.

Have a beautiful day everyone...

Coleus TigerLily

Thumbnail by Brinda
Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

I noticed yesterday that Tigerlily survived over the winter. Now to get her big and pretty again.
So far the melody escapes me, but I've only been up for 30 minutes.
I have so much to do and so little back.
It's just lovely outside.
Sidney

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Good Morning! Tigerlily is awesome!!!

I had a great weekend.. I got 2 huge projects done and even though there is a mess... I am jazzed.
I covered my GH in shade cloth so my coleus won't fry. Now my GH is green! LOL

Sidney, do you have lower back pain? I have been plagued with it for months.. I have been doing exercises for my back cause I could barely walk.. much less dig. I just searched Utube to look up back strengthening exercises.. I just do about 5 minutes every morning before I get out of bed! I feel like a new person.

Thumbnail by ZZsBabiez
Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Brinda here is the photo you wanted to see. It is on the wooded lot next door

Thumbnail by TARogers5
Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Here is another bush in the woods next to it. Unknown.

Thumbnail by TARogers5

Have you gone to the ID forum yet.
That is really pretty Ted.
;)

The second picture grows readily around here.
;)

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Sidney I did and so far have it nailed to this http://uwarboretum.org/news/singlePost.php?id=42&origin=foa
http://www.missouriplants.com/Yellowalt/Baptisia_leucophaea_page.html

This message was edited Apr 21, 2008 2:14 PM

Ted is it this one? http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/55801/
Frostweed says it's a native on the other side of the river.
;)

(Zone 9b)

Hate to show how dumb I am but what is CCR? Is that an Oklahoma song you are singing, Brin? LOL. I better duck.

Joyce PLEASE share this exercise you can do in bed. That is my kind of exercise!! Well to be truthful, that is not usually true but maybe you have a better one.

Sorry Tarogers, I have no clue either.

Well we had a great dinner last night and we actually ate the BEST cheese in the world! Or so many believe it is. Last time we ate at this restaurant, we sat next to a spoiled party who got lots of goodies we did not get and 1 of their courses was this cheese that got quite the build up as being the best cheese in the world. We had to sit and watch them eat it.

So this time I said to the waiter, we want the best cheese in the world somewhat combatively sure I would be denied. And he said, that will be a supplemental of $35 each. LOL, but of course you just had to be a good enough customer to pay for it to get it. And so we fell for it, after all how many chances do you get to have the best cheese in the world for the biggest fools in the world?

So this is what we each got.

Thumbnail by Kell
(Zone 9b)

I also got my roses potted up yesterday. So I am now off to goof off since I got my watering done.

Have a great day everyone!

Thumbnail by Kell
Arlington, GA(Zone 8a)

I everyone, I hope your day is bright and shiney.

Kell, I am so glad you enjoyed your dinner and cheese, I sure hope that it came with a good great wine to wash it down with,,

Brinda, Are you well rested from your weekend Spring cleaning.

Sidney, Have you decided what you are going to put in your new alley?

I need volunteers? LOL, DH and MGK put in 72 holes for me yesterday, And they Haven't made a dent in the over Wintered goodies. I am so sure they are now planning my immediate departure. LOL

These still need planting..

Thumbnail by georgiagarden3
Arlington, GA(Zone 8a)

They even brought in the "big" boy toys to help.. LOL

Oh Kell, Now what's your review?
I have some cheese in my refrigerator that needs tending. One kind was offered sautéed at Costco.
And I think their gourmet cheeses are high.
Your roses are gorgeous. What flavor is that?

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

whispering to Kell --- CCR is Creedence Clearwater Revival. That is a great ol' song Brinda. Roses are pretty Kell and the cheese looks good, but I think I'd have saved my $35 each if I'd have known they were just going to shave a few pieces off. Did they tell you what KIND of cheese it is? Looks like Jarlsburg that we used to have at the San Francisco Steak House in San Antonio. Man, I could have eaten my weight in that stuff. They used to bring out big blocks to set on the tables for nibbling while you waited on your food.

Thank you all for your kind words about the cake. Ben loved it, but the photos are on Jen's camera and despite my asking for them twice now, they have NOT arrived in my email yet. Unfortunately, her camera and my computer aren't as compatible as my own camera, and she didn't have any cords with her. Ben kept crawling up on the table to try and get the Spiderman off the cake. HAHAHA

We had a Spiderman pinata that the kids really enjoyed. The adults had lots of fun making sure no one got "whacked" that wasn't supposed to. In the end though, poor Spiderman "lost his head" and candy went everywhere!

Phaedra, those plants look great! Looks like a lot of work for you though.

Folks, you'll be proud to know that once again, I went to the nursery and only came home with some herbs to plant for my oldest daughter. She's now cooking more creatively and I told her at Christmas that I'd make her a pot of herbs to cook with. She reminded me yesterday afternoon that I still hadn't done that. I have a strawberry pot that I will put them in and at least she'll only have one pot to remember to water. There were many beautiful coleus there at the nursery. I reached, I touched, and I stepped back without hanging on, hard as it was.

I did have something happen this morning that was pretty dern cool. I took Grace for a walk this morning around the block. Someone was moving out and had tossed a bunch of plants to the side of the road. The guy was backing out of his driveway and I hollered that I'd be right back to get some of them. Grace and I finished our walk and I jumped in the truck. I raced back around the block and loaded up one HUGE split leaf philodendren (pic attached), a couple of nice ferns, and a geranium. This is my first geranium. It's got pink blooms. It's pretty pitiful looking, but I think it will come back nicely with some TLC. The split leaf is bigger than any that I already have. I don't have any bigger pots for it either, so it will go into the ground as soon as I figure out WHERE!

Janet

Thumbnail by UniQueTreasures
Arlington, GA(Zone 8a)

great find Janet, It is beautifullll... If you can't find just the right spot I know a corner of my GH we can put it..LOL

Arlington, GA(Zone 8a)

Some newbies for me.

Duponts" Apple Pie" Kind of a soft color! Very calming compared to the "Hot Pink and Lime"
in the corner

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

Janet

You have to quit being so good when you nursery shop. You make the rest of us look bad. YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO BUY A FEW COLEUS!!!!

I found three more coleus cultivars this weekend. Hope to find some time to take pictures of my babies this evening. I haven't posted a picture yet this spring.

Patty

Arlington, GA(Zone 8a)

Finger Paint

(Zone 9b)

WOW good haul! I love it when I get plants like that. I was going to say I am NOT proud of you not buying plants. Addiction loves company you know! Then we do not feel so nuts. LOL. Can't wait for your photos of your cake getting eaten!! I bet Ben was all red after.

Finger paint is gorgeous. I need that one.

Well Sidney, my review is that though there were great things about our dining experience, it cost way too much for what it was and would even if it were perfect. If I told you how much you would think we were insane. And sinful. And incredibly stupid. LOL. I thought they forgot to cook my fish when it should have been and my husbands was cooked, my squab was way too raw and so was my lamb. I do not like eating raw meat though I do love sushi. There were some hints of genius in some of the courses. Plus one course had coffee foam on the top and I HATE coffee. My husband on the other hand thought it was fantastic and loved his meat so raw. I tell you I could still gag over the raw squab, it had such a strong flavor and the muscle was almost gelatinous in my mouth.

The cheese is 5 year old Comté made by Bernard Antony, which some say is the best fromagerie in Paris. It was indeed incredible plus he only sells it to a couple of Michelin starred restaurants which adds to its allure for it is pretty much impossible to find. So Manresa is thrilled to have it. I am glad I tried it but I doubt I will again unless they offer me a toasted cheese sandwich made with it. LOL

Here is the wedge they had. When you order the cheese, they bring out the wedge so all can admire it esp the bumpy old rind which shows how old it is. I was so gauche, I took its picture. LOL

Thumbnail by Kell
(Zone 9b)

PS thanks Janet! I am sure if I could hear Brinda singing it, it would come to mind. The only one of theirs I can remember the tune of is

I see the bad moon arising.
I see trouble on the way.
I see earthquakes and lightnin.
I see bad times today.

Dont go around tonight,
Well, its bound to take your life,
Theres a bad moon on the rise.

I hear hurricanes ablowing.
I know the end is coming soon.
I fear rivers over flowing.
I hear the voice of rage and ruin.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

CCR was one of THE bands when I was growing up. Having 2 older sisters, I felt like I was ahead of my time sometimes. But ya know, they just don't make music like those good ol' songs any more. Nowadays, the music (HAHAHAHA if you can call it that) just about turns my stomach. Most especially when I can hear it rumbling loud enough to shatter windows as it rambles down the street in cars. Makes me want to get out my shot gun and put those poor cars out of their misery! Them folks would think twice about thumping down my street! Or... I'd end up dead, which is why I haven't actually done the shot gun thing.

I could go for a toasted cheese sandwich. I do love cheese. Just about any kind of cheese, with the exception of blue cheese. Bayuck!!!!

Patty, I'd LOVE to buy a few hundred of those coleus, but I'm stickin' to my guns... er. resolution. I'll just enjoy them via y'alls photos. Connie called the other day and said she found a sprig of Tilt-a Whirl. I told her to save me a cutting when it comes on up. We might be surprised at what all still comes up. We're not cutting any of the sticks that reside where coleus once were... just in case. I will be strong. I will resist temptation! I won't buy any more plants! No matter how pretty they are! And if Connie calls and asks me to go to Betty's Bloomers, I'll resist. I can do it! Lord! Give me strength!

Janet

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Kell... If you want to see if you need the exercises.. stand against the wall with your head and heels against the wall.. if you can get your fist in the dip right at the small of your back.. you need them!!!
Then try to take that dip out of your back by pressing your back against the wall so your hand won't fit.. it's HARD to do.. but if you concentrate on always working that "dip" out of your back.. by pushing the muscles in your tummy to position your back so that dip is gone.. the pain will go too.
On horses it's called "Sway Back".. like me... an old sway back mare.. worn out and broke down, but still kickin. LOL

I can't get in any discussion of control when it comes to buying coleus.. I'm out.

Beaumont, TX

Woah Janet! Great find ! I did get your text but was driving at the time then got extremely busy at Sour Lake Motors.
CCR :) One of the few concerts I was allowed to attend as a teenager...and ONLY because MOM thought it's name sounded religious. Revival. hahahahah She let me go see Jesus Christ Superstar ...oh and John Denver because she liked his songs and "seemed like such a nice young man". :)

Beaumont, TX

OK Janet, I wont tell you when I get a wild hair to go to Betty's Bloomers.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Hey Connie! Fancy meeting you here! HAHAHAHA

I'd have no problem doing the Goodwills up that a way, but I'd have to sit in the truck if we ended up at BB's. Surely you wouldn't be THAT cruel!

I would imagine that the photo of the Split Leaf Philo posted looks much better than the 2" photo that I tried to show hubby today and he couldn't see on my phone. You'll have to come by and see the "loot" and show me where to put the geraniums.

I just finished potting up Jen's herb garden. Only thing I couldn't find at Ellis' was Oregano (that was on her list of wants). It turned out pretty good.

Now for the not so good news. Don'tcha just love it when hubby offers to help pull the vines that don't belong off the fence lines? I walked around behind the yard (which is kind of like an alley, but not really) and saw all of my beautiful purple passion vine blooms laying on the ground! I pulled out my pocket knife and took cuttings as much as I could from the tangled mess he'd left there. I've potted them up and hope they survive and grow into new plants.

Sigh!!!

Janet

Is he still living Janet? Especially after you have been disgustingly good.
Attn MIS(Connie),
Several of us are seriously concerned for your sister's, ahem, mental well being. This lack of obsession for coleus is well to put it lightly,Very disturbing!
;)

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Yeah, he's still living. I even fed him. He did redeem himself in a roundabout way tonight. We were sitting on the glider after dinner. He noticed that 3 of my monarch caterpillars had crawled OUT of the cage and had made their chrysalises UNDER the table that the cage is sitting on. Geez, I go to all of that trouble to protect them and they try to "run" away! I had wondered what happened to all of my caterpillars. Only 2 are actually hanging in their chrysalises within the cage. The rest of the cats have "magically" disappeared. I just figured "somebody" had crawled into the cage and eaten the rest of them. I'm not naming any names, but I've seen an anole hanging around behind the cage over the past few days. There is a small opening right where the door and the front of the cage come together that "somebody" might have gained access. I've tried to make sure and squeeze that part together whenever I've watered plants, etc. Come to find out, they were escaping!!! I went out to see if any were around the milkweed plants in the yard and didn't spot any at all.

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Someone...ANYONE... please put me out of my misery!

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Whasamatta Brinda? What can we do to help?

(Zone 9b)

Brin, I have told you NO GOOD DEED GOES UNPUNISHED!!! So I guess it is punishment time. LOL. I would say nanananana, I told you so but I won't!!

Oh dear Janet. What was he thinking? He sounds like my husband. Now I accuse him of causing anything that goes wrong. LOL. And he actually is such a good guy. He tries not to even breath on my plants.

But Joyce, my belly is pulling my back way out and into an S. Maybe if I got a sling to hold it off the ground it would help. And I do not have "tummy muscles" anymore. They left. So what is the bed exercise?

I even want to go to Betty's Bloomers!

I also showed restraint today! I saw lots of 4 inch coleus, a couple I really wanted but they wanted $4.99 for them. Way too much. I was on the hunt for orange pots. I have decided that is what my life has been missing all this time and if I could just get a few I would a complete person.

See how small they are.

Thumbnail by Kell
(Zone 9b)

I also found a rose I may not be able to live without, though I did not get it today. I am feeling poor. LOL

Look how cheerful it is! The best pink and white I have seen. A climber, Candy Land.

Thumbnail by Kell
Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Kell, there is a 7 ft. privacy fence that he was pulling the vines off so I really should cut him some slack. He "thought" he was doing good. And honestly, those vines he was pulling are the ones that really "get my goat". They have heart shaped leaves and they try so hard to sneak up through my plants and look at home. The roots on those things seem like they are about 10 ft. long. If they flowered, I might consider leaving them be. They are just boring old vines though. Not quite as bad as Kudzu, but a close second.

Betty's Bloomers is a really nice "Mom and Pop" type nursery that Connie and I found up in Silsbee (or maybe Kountze) I can't ever remember which. The gal there does her own cuttings and has quite a few greenhouses and everything is well labeled, along with instructions for them. Her prices are incredibly good. It's really easy to go there and between Connie and I, fill up one of our trucks for about $50. She has many unusual and hard to find things. Most hanging baskets are about $8 and her little 4" pots are $1. I listed her in Go Gardening. Her husband does landscaping. Her plants always look great!

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

WOW! That Candy Land rose is gorgeous! That would have tempted me tremendously! I don't have any roses, but I would make an exception and put that one in my yard!

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Good Morning All! You all have been so busy and I have so many coments to make but I got up early this morning to work on this stupid co-op again and somehow, one way or the tuther... I'm gonna get it done today!!! Way too much of my time spent on it and I'm ready to get it out of my hair.

Kell, google 'down on the corner' by creedence clearwater revival or listen to it at youtube. You will remember that song.

Love to all..

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

morning everyone. missed y'all yesterday

Newport News, VA(Zone 11)

Morning Everyone!
Off to a busy day at school. Two more weeks and its OVER! Then coleus season offically begins for me.

Have a good one!

Beaumont, TX

I hear ya sugarweed. It is disturbing to watch ...and I am watching closely. But there are many plant related things that she can spend money frivolously on, which I will encourage that ought to bring the spirit up. Feed the need!

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Good Morning everyone!

I had a wonderful time with the mouse clicking away at RDG again... LOL I'm weak.. I know... I'm a fool for coleus!

Kell.. I've had 3 C-sections.. I have no tummy muscles either!
One thing you can do sitting down.. even while driving is.... push your lower back against the seat... using what used to be tummy muscles. When they start hurting in a few days.. they are coming back to life. LOL Not that it will do anything to help the tummy, but it will help the back.
A sling sounds great, but then we'd be complaining about our neck I'm sure..

Have a great day everyone!

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

mine is blooming also

Thumbnail by jordankittyjo

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.