Coleus Seedlings

Freedom, PA(Zone 6a)

These seedlings came from some of my hybrid coleus that went to seed last year. Let me know what you think. I was really surprised how they turned out.

Thumbnail by cbrandenburg
Freedom, PA(Zone 6a)

Do you like this one?

Freedom, PA(Zone 6a)

Another one, looks like dipt in wine, or close anyway

Freedom, PA(Zone 6a)

Another one

Freedom, PA(Zone 6a)

I really like this one

Freedom, PA(Zone 6a)

And this one

Freedom, PA(Zone 6a)

This is a nice one I think.

Newport News, VA(Zone 11)

Very Pretty! I like the one you really like best. Its leaf shape and coloring are unique!

Freedom, PA(Zone 6a)

What about this one? Do you like it, I like the red veining showing up.

sorry, I posted before I saw Post #4892255

That one is to die for!

Freedom, PA(Zone 6a)

Thanks, these seedlings have really surprised me, I think I planted up 75 in all. I just picked out a few that are really different.

Freedom, PA(Zone 6a)

Here are a few group shots, let me know if you see anything different that might be interesting in growing.

Freedom, PA(Zone 6a)

another group of seedlings

Freedom, PA(Zone 6a)

I like this one also

Freedom, PA(Zone 6a)

Last group shot.

Arlington, GA(Zone 8a)

I love 1, 5, 6,7 Aww Heck i like them all. Great job

Freedom, PA(Zone 6a)

These seedlings came from Big Blond X Unknown, I was very surprised at all the color only a few resemble the mama, the other crosses are Dipt in Win X Unknown and Paisley Shawl (not sure if thats the correct coleus name) X Unknown. This year I am going to let more go to seed late in the season so I can grow more seedlings for next year.

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

some very unusual color combinations--so pretty!!!! I like them all but think I like the first one the best.

Coleus might not grow true to seed but who cares if they produce these gorgeous babies!
The one I like ( Post #4892255) looks like a cross between a Swedish Ivy and Anna and Watermelon. All of my favorites! Just love it!

Glen Riddle Lima, PA

cathy those seedlings are to die for. please post pics of them growing up this season!

btw,

have you been able to keep the darth vader coleus i traded with you alive the past 2 years? i lost mine and i'm sad;)

joy

Freedom, PA(Zone 6a)

Thanks everyone! Coleus from hybrids are beautiful!! Joy, I do still have Darth Vader, and I do have some rooted I believe, I'll check in the greenhouse and get back to you.

Cathy

(Zone 9b)

I would buy everyone of them. Most are superior!! Maybe you can sell them to a coleus grower for big bucks!!

I have so many times how coleus seedlings come out muddy. Well I guess that was wrong information.

DId you cross pollinate or let nature do it? I am for sure going to try this myself now. What fun!!! Congratulations on so many special ones!

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Oh Cathy,
Your new selections for 2008 are great.
I'll put this thread in my answer to the Plantfile delima when newbies read the 'Seed' answer for coleus.
I really like http: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=4892275 ,
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=4892246 ,
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=4892267 , & all of the mixed shots //davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=4892272 .
I bet you live a long, long time because it's obvious you are doing something you really love. And your results are beautiful.

Pick out your favorites and name them.
I'll definitely let some favorites go to seed this Fall.
Also folks Cathy's has Hostas for sale in the Classified Ads here at Dave's.
If I lived further north I'd get those too.
;)

Freedom, PA(Zone 6a)

These were all bee crosses, I just got lazy last fall and let them go to seed, LOL, now I'm glad I did. This year I will have a lot of help, DH and my nephew both took classes on bee keeping and now we have 2 hives set up. Here is what the bees came in.

Freedom, PA(Zone 6a)

DH is on the right, our nephew Freddy is the one that talked DH into doing the bee hives.

Freedom, PA(Zone 6a)

Sugar, how does one go about naming a coleus? I'll be looking for people to trial these for me, they are almost big enough to take a cutting from, I've been goosing them with a little fertilizer and messenger. I almost didn't grow them because of all the negative things I've heard about hybrid coleus seedlings being muddy, not so. The only problem you guys are going to have a problem with is PINCHING off those blooms, LOL.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

WOW! Those are gorgeous! You've got some real beauties there!

I'm not sure what this means:

Quoting:
I'll be looking for people to trial these for me, they are almost big enough to take a cutting from

But if you're looking for some place to send cuttings, I'm raising my hand to be a volunteer. Just let me know what you want me to do. I'll be happy to document with photos, etc. Try sun and less sun. Whatever...

Janet

I volunteer!

Cathy,
First study any that are close to your results. If the seedling is true to one of it's parents then count those out.
Second, once you have determined that yours is unique then name it.
I'm fairly sure that there's no registry for coleus and as far as patients for coleus go, maybe you ought to research that.
I'd just be careful as to wheather the mamas and poppas aren't patiented either.
I was honored when Chris Baker let me name one last year.
Sidney

(Zone 9b)

I learned the hard way not to use Messenger on coleus. It brings them into bloom so fast. And vigorous bloom! Though at the end of the season I guess I will be spraying them with it. LOL

I too am leery of messenger on my babies. I usually do let them have a dab, but it and SnG both can make my babies too big.
Plus it makes any little weed just HUGE!!!!
They love their FE though.
Sidney

Arlington, GA(Zone 8a)

I have an idea,,OHH
Cathy, you could start a name that Coleus thread then you could have lots of choices to choose from...

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

And I forgot to mention how cool it is that you will be keeping bees. Both of my granddaddies were beekeepers.

Janet

One of them in the sixties.

edited to add: I remember eating fresh honey and peanut butter sandwiches that were out of this world!

This message was edited May 1, 2008 5:07 PM

Thumbnail by UniQueTreasures
(Zone 9b)

Yes, those bee hives are so neat. I keep reading how the bees are dying in droves. I hope yours thrive. Looks like you got tons of them. How many? Will you collect the honey? It never occurred to me you could just go buy a bunch a bees. I have heard where people rent their bees to orchards. I guess they bring the bee hive too so they they get them back.

(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Cathy, that's amazing! Why weren't we told the truth about coleus from seeds??? I love the second one. You go girl!

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Oh my Cathy, you really have some beauties!

If I were you, I'd dmail Chris (goodolebake) and I'm sure he'd be happy to answer any questions you might have. He's such a good guy...

And I have to agree with Pheadra, when you decide what you want to name, if you have problems with names you should post them here to be named.

Give those babies a few doses of FE to get their real color (even though they look fabulous now) going! I'm excited for you!!!!

Fort Collins, CO

Cathy congratulations on all of your babies! They sure are beautiful! It must have been exciting seeing all of them unfolding their new and beautiful leaves! Keep us informed on everything goes with naming them! :)

Glen Riddle Lima, PA

my vote for #1- Tie-dye... it reminds me of a tie-dye shirt.

South Venice, FL(Zone 9b)

cbrandenburg- WOW! What beautiful coleus babies!
I adore them all, but this one is my favorite:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=4892259
I'll happily be a volunteer grower-outer too!
Cathy

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

How exciting! Congrats to you Cbrandenburg! I am a newbie to coleus, but would be more than happy to grow for you too!! My favortie is Post #4892255 That one to me is just too yummy!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.