GRITDIG 2008 Who's In It to Win It?

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Well, guys. I should have let my 2nd stalk from the windstorm get bigger. It had 3 shoots like 2-3" tall so I planted it out in its new home last weekend.
But today, I looked to see how it was doing and I could barely see the shoots.
THOSE DARN SLUGS ATE the shoots inside. Left the outside cover on the shoots. Very weird and strange.
Usually slugs eat the whole shoot downward, not pick out the good stuff inside.

So will this stalk create more shoots to grow again???

Am a little frustated right now with slugs and snails. I have the slugs mostly under control this year, but the last rain storm brought them out again. And the SNAILS are horrible this spring for me AND nothing seems to kill them except me going around on a snail patrol every so often. Killing many as I go, all sizes too.

The original dahlia tree is doing just fine. It has shoots now like a foot tall. I was surprised since there were many slug eggs around it and tried to get them all but knew I hadn't.

So someone LMK if the 2nd stalk will come back please!!!
Carol

West Caldwell, NJ(Zone 6b)

Carol, how about a beer moat? :) Seriously, did you try Sluggo and Escar-Go? I have sworn bloody vengeance on the cucumber beetles myself!

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Lol Pooch, I hope your have some shoots now!

They usually come growing at this time of year luvsgrtdanes, it is a guarantee from the seller also that you get a plant which will grow. You're not cheating, lol, anything goes, and yours won't be a mature cutting (although it looks to have an old stem so will be a year old or more from a cutting) so it will probably take a year or two to get bigger. Mine was growing when I got it originally but that was in early July and was only a new stem. Good luck and take care of that thing! Take a small stem off to grow as insurance too if you have one.

Sorry to hear that Carol! They do eat the tender centres, the outer parts are tougher on these. It should sprout again from the base, just keep the slugs away. I pick my slugs and snails up and take them elsewhere, have done that for years and there was loads for a start but I don't get many now. Vigilance, and yes beer does do the job too with safety in mind (not for the slugs!)

It has started to rain here, first in 3 weeks and is very cold too, tops has been 53F last couple of days but we needed the wet stuff, haven't had much though.

I had to go measure mine, tallest is 26" to centre leaf tip, still has 11 stems and a slug eaten stub. I have still got 3 in pots too, one in a large pot for 2 years now and it's needs a home, two in 8"pots, one not yet growing but seems OK, gave one to my neighbour too!

How's it all going over there? Pooch, haven't heard from you in 12 days, surely by now you have a shoot?

It's mostly been cool and cloudy here, we've had quite a bit of much needed rain in the last few days but the Di seems to like it. It's now 36", all 11 stems seem to be doing fine but I'm waiting for the push and shove.

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

36 inches! You are light years ahead. We've had very cool weather, and few days of sun so my little eyes are just nubbins- an inch or so long but I haven't checked it for days. I mounded up the soil further over them, deciding the D.I. was planted too shallowly. I'll check it further and report back, but we need heat before it will take off. Don't count me out! LOL

Ha, we've had many days of only 12C (today too!), low 50'sF! No rain until recently either other than a good shower about 4 weeks ago but we did have a hot spell early in the month. Sun, forgotten what that is!

Yours did need to take root though, oh I can see yours racing yet!

Bath, NY(Zone 5b)

Glad to hear your DI is above ground Pooch. We had a cold week last week but the coming one is suppose to be warmer. We need rain, everything is so dry. I took this picture on the 26th of May , so I think it is taller now, about a foot. It's healthy and starting to grow faster, just need some heat and sunshine.

Thumbnail by willow22552
Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

My relocated DI planted by the chimney is just one stalk about 8 inches tall. I planted a couple other starts but see nothing up yet. We need warmth here too but please none of this 90plus stuff yet as earlier.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Oh you in warmer climates make me so envious! My shoot is ..............3 inches tall LOL! If you dig down and excavate the mounded up soil, I could claim 6 inches. It's just turning red now. Out there shivvering in our paltry temps and super-moist climate. I know there's one other eye underground waiting to spring forth. Can't wait!

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Oh, hold your horses: after our stunning fleece and wool sock weekend, my D. I. is up to 5 inches and branching out! Hee hee.

Oh great pooch! You will be racing past me soon, lol!

This morning, drooping in 80F heat, at 46"!!

Thumbnail by wallaby1
(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

WOW Wallaby yours is so big!!! Hopefully after some 90+ weather that we are having I will see some real growth on mine....Pooch I can't imagine the cold you are still having...I would be dying...when do you warm up and stay warm? When do you usually get your first hard frost?
Oh how I hate the cold!!!

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Wallaby that looks like an Olympic competitor D.I.! High jumper perhaps? Nice growing!
Luvs, June is always damp and cool here. Always. It's just habit to complain about it every year LOL. We can't count on 70's and prolonged dry spells until after the fourth of July, and then it's simply wonderful through September. Frosts usually arrive in mid to late November, I guess.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

My DI by the chimney is only one stalk which is 18 inches tall and 1/2 inch in diameter. I just measured it. So it is coming slowly but surely.

Bath, NY(Zone 5b)

Well, it was 98 degrees here today in the shade. It is so hot and still no rain. I did measure the DI today and it loves this heat. Know 36" tall and growing as you watch. It has grown 10" in one week, gonna be a monster at this rate!

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

They are great fun to watch, Jack in the Beanstalk comes to my mind. You guys on the east coast are just baking and here on the west we are still in winter mode, very cool, windy as heck today. Darn wind has torn up my green house roof today; it was just a layer of plastic.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Ooooh Willow you're a contender for sure in that heat and at that growth rate. I need to import a chiminea and park it next to my whiskey barrel with a fire going full tilt inside!

Joann, sorry to hear about your greenhouse roof! Do you have things inside that will suffer being exposed, or is it pretty much emptied by now? Or repaired? We just had a brief sideways downpour pass through here. Dismal. I always feel sorry for the deer and outdoor life during weather like this.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

No, not repaired until this wind dies down. Yes, it is full but nothing that can't take the temps outside. We have a few tomatoes in large pots in there and even a tomato set on one plant.We have found we can have tomatoes till December in there. We train them up and eventually they hit the roof.

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

hiya guys!

Good to see that everyone is still growing D.i's. with great success! I'm out here in the back yard looking at five of mine that are anywhere from 5' up to about 9ft for the largest. As I am not eligible for the competition, I just wanted to congratulate all of you who still keep the dream alive and a huge congrats to willow for bringing hers to bloom. I'm still working on collecting seed for the umpteenth year, but our frost seems to come just in time each November/December to prevent the seed from maturing. We're expecting the double white to bloom this season as it really took its time getting going with our silly spring last year.

For those wishing to join GRITDIG 09 I'll be able to part with about five to seven cuttings this winter. Good to see that all of the kids are doing well in their respective locales.

Best to all for a super year of growth and blooms,
don

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

I must say this is one group of very generous people!!! ♥

Hiya drdon! Great to see you back!

Hey, I just measured mine and it's 54"!! That's 8" in less than a week. After our 'heat' for 3 days it turned dastardly cold again, today was only 53F until the sun shone a little longer in the afternoon, then it got to 59F. We had a good downpour but only a short one, the D.i. seems to like this climate even if it does get frozen too soon!

As it's past 10pm now and the sun has just set I will take a pic tomorrow.

Bath, NY(Zone 5b)

As of today, mine is at 42", which is 6" in 5 days. Just call him Jack! Hurray, it rained a tiny bit today.

Thanks DrDon, great stock you sent to me and to carry on as you read above, I sent one to Annie. It's a joy to watch this plant grow. Thanks again!

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Oh my: you ladies are so advanced! In our paltry one day of 70 degrees so far since mid May, mine is probably 10 inches tall! Looking healthy, from good stock as Willow said, but needs some heat and sun to take off. It is still fun to watch the wee thing progress.

We've been struggling to get up to and over 60F Pooch, very little sun either. I think I've gained another 2" to 56", difficult to measure though as they are being bent to 45 degree angle with strong winds. I wish they had been a bit more hardened, they will end up hanging in the wrong direction. Might have to put in some support, some will probably break off.

Yours had to take root so it won't be racing yet. At least it's growing!

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

hiya Annie,

I had no ideas that your original child expired. Good thing for grandkids.......lol.

Nothing on earth will ever prevent you from having another kid to raise up to the heights....of heights....

In the fall I'll be sending you a double white Di, as you and the original crew all deserve to have something new to GRITDIG about.....lol.

the best to all of you, and I do hope to see flowers from my children and those that aren't my childred as well.
Good luck gang......
don

Oh well, this morning nearly all my stems were laid on the ground! Two were bent near the bottom, others were part out of the ground with the stem under the soil line showing, a couple of those cracked and one broke off when I stood it for a second time to put a string around on stakes. That was the tallest one!

Of course I took some pics, I managed to stand them up OK but they are drooping. I think they will recover or most of them will. I had a strong stem of another dahlia once in a large tub which broke completely near the base, hanging by the outer skin only, it was quite tall too. I taped it with insulation tape and it completely healed!

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Janet, what caused the stems to droop or be on the ground???

Hi, Don, good to see you here!!! My original DI is coming along. The baby is struggling................Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr..............thanks to the snails..........................

Carol

Sorry Carol, I mentioned in my previous post strong winds.

:~((

Thumbnail by wallaby1

Staked, too late! But if I had staked them in strong winds that can break them off when pressured against string.

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Oh my goodness! That is really, really too bad!
Wind is nasty stuff! That is how I got my new dahlia tree tho from last fall storm.
But you don't need that right now at the beginning of the season!
I hope you still have something to grow tho.
Carol

I thought last night I should have watered them to give them a better chance, today they were stood up fairly well although they have bends in them now!

That corner is bad for winds, although on the south east winds can come from the north and whip around the front, south side.

This morning, not good for getting height, lol.

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Wow, Janet, all in all you still have a great specimen of D.i. I think it will turn out just fine.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Vrooooooomm- start your engines..... We had a fine welcome to official Summer today with 84 blistering degrees and SUN, blessed SUN.
After a drink of worm tea the other day and a covering of compost the DI has taken wing. (Which means it's about 14 inches tall LOL.) Nonetheless, I get such glee in having it grow and don't mind being the underdog at all! I think all the dahlias grew an inch at least today.

Dr. Don good to see you here. As the founder of the whole DI phenomenon, we need your guiding presence periodically. You didn't remember that I killed your most generously given DI progeny in our 8 degree winter cold blast? And here I've been suffering months of needless guilt over that act! I mulched it well, but not enough to survive :( I would love to have a double white DI if the opportunity presents itself. I've thought of you as the temps in So Cal soar these days (green with envy.) Hope all is well and that your own DI blooms appear again in the fall months.

Janet, so bad about the corner wind causing strife with your healthy stalks, but I agree with Lenjo: they look like they've rebounded very nicely and you are still a mighty force of competition!

Carol Ruffles, you need to get out there with some slug bait. I moved a big bucket tonight and had 5 slugs of varying sizes squatting underneath despite regular baiting. RIP slugs.

Now back out to water. Something I thought I'd never have to do again in this lifetime after this cold, wet spring.

Bath, NY(Zone 5b)

Sitting here in Philadelphia on a mini vacation. The weather here is wonderful and warm but DH says it has been raining since I left. Be careful what you wish for, Nadine. Heading home tomorrow after I cllect some goodies from the Italian Market. When I left , the DI was at 48" and that was Wed. Grow Jack grow!!!!

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Enjoy your minivacation Nadine. Rain can be good in measured doses and I hope that's what your gardens are getting. Yesterday, the summer solstice and welcome temps into the mid 80's grew the "Little D.I. That Could" another 4 inches! pow: just like that in 24 hours! We have a week of decent temps and sun coming up so this should get things growing. I actually watered the past couple days.

Luvsgrtdanes: How is your DI coming along? Anyone else?

We are being battered with strong winds again, the Jetstream which should be north of the UK sometimes gets pulled down, and it looks like we have a whole summer of this! Again! The El Nino in the Pacific, which is cooler than usual, is apparently to blame. yesterday, summer solstice, was only 52F at 2pm, dull, some rain, very windy. Today it's a little warmer with some sun but the winds are gusting strong.

The D.i. will be in trouble, arrgh, a couple of stems I tied to the old ones as they had been bent near the bottom. They are now bent further up where I tied them too! Short of building a wind break I can do nothing, no room either so they will just have to weather it!

No hope of a measurement!

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks for asking Pooch...mine is about 12'' just a bit of new growth this week...hopefully I will see some real growth soon!! I put some inch marks on my stake to watch it. I will post a picture soon.

Seems the weather has been yukky for a lot of us. Wow wallaby only 52 that stinks!!

Willow how did you get yours to be so big!! LOL I live in Philly although not the city part....a lot of culture in town but sounds funny for me to read someone actually vacationed there!! ☺

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

I just measured mine this cloudy cool morning. It is 28 inches tall and the stalk looks about 3/4 of an inch in diameter.
luvsgrtdanes, I was in Philadelphia last fall and enjoyed my visit to the historical sights. My only regret was not getting a famous Philly steak sandwich.

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Lenjo, I sell Philly Cheese Steaks and pizza for a living...I'll
trade ya one....LOL

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

What can I beam over to you, a marionberry pie?

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.