GRITDIG 2008 Who's In It to Win It?

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Ok, mine is at 31". Here's a pic:

Thumbnail by mgh
Bath, NY(Zone 5b)

Here is the latest picture that I have , taken on the 20th of July.

I should have thought to post a photo as I remember reading the thread when I didn't partake in the contest. It made it more fun to see the photos and here I am growing one. I found even if it doesn't flower, it's great fun to grow and be in the contest.

David_Paul you are so right, keep after all of us to post photos.

Thumbnail by willow22552
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Height doesn't matter, MGH. Your plant can still bloom, which is the ultimate goal.

Lenjo, I think Janet had a good point about needing to establish roots, so perhaps by dividing, you slowed yours down a hair. You look to have a nice healthy plant and that has every chance to go on to bud. Mine is a spindly devil, not nearly as full as Willow's and Wallaby's. My photo card was full the other day, but when I clear some MB off, I'll get a shot of mine and post.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Can't measure accurately but I'd guess about 6 ft. The top of the yardstick is about halfway. Nice thick trunk on the main stem.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Here's the whole blurry plant LOL

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

How are the DI's doing around the globe?

I've got trouble: though the plant is now past the window in height, lower leaves have started to turn yellow/brown. I'm taking them off which is going to leave kind of a big foliage hole, but they aren't going to turn into healthy leaves again.

Will also have to figure out a way to bypass the eaves pretty soon and then onto the roof hopefully to see buds!

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

photos, photos, forgot the photos..

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

bad leaves... hope it wasn't the worm tea! I suspect lack of watering in some hot weather we had, but I'm not sure.

Thumbnail by Poochella
West Caldwell, NJ(Zone 6b)

No powdery mildew pooch? That's what its doing to my plants.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

I don't think PM Tod. It's got good air circulation on that corner and I've not skipped watering for more than a couple days. I just don't know. Haven't had DI leaves turn like this before so I'm thinking it's something I added to the soil.

Not going to lose much moisture or grow much in the next few days: it's down in the 60's as a high here. Brrrr.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I'm rooting for it to get so big it rips off your rain gutter, but you know I'm on your side ;)

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Oh sure Al, you masquerade as a nice guy....but....the truth cannot be squelched! We were just informed by the gutter guy that the house has 'the kind of gutters that ALWAYS fall off' so you may get your wish! They've lasted for 10 years and heaven knows how many cubic feet of water they've handled though, so it may take more than a mere DI tree to take them down.

Cross your fingers that not many more leaves die: I'm kind of short on foliage anyway.

Bath, NY(Zone 5b)

I haven't measured mine in a while but it is past the roof line. It has been very dry here so I have been giving it 5 gallons of water each day and every morning it looks saggy. Even with that much water, it is still doing push ups. I will get my DH out there tomorrow and see if we can measure it.

Here's a photo of my dahlia's and you can see the DI in the background.

Thumbnail by willow22552
Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

wonder if yours is looking saggy with drowning willow, lol, hope not but it looks happy! I wish I could say mine is above the roof line, but it would have to grow to, um, maybe 16 feet to do that.

I took a pic and measured on the 17th, it was 80" tall with curves not straightened, lol. Will have to measure again but here's the 5 day old version. (well, AOL is having connection problems so will have to wait for the pic!)

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Gosh mine is only about 30''!! Must have been the runt of the litter!! LOL

I can't seem to get a good shot for some reason...

Thumbnail by luvsgrtdanes
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Willow, if I were going to visit your house, I'd be two hours late just taking in the beautiful pathway to the door! Are the paler orange border blooms low dahlias? Very nice edger no matter what they are.

Looks healthy Luvs. Who knows, your 'runt' may be saving height energy to kick out buds and blooms later. Then you will get the cyber crown of blooming DI glory!

Wallaby, we await the update. How about Carol, Mendy and Joann in the Oregon contingent? How are yours doing?

Bath, NY(Zone 5b)

wallaby1, not to much water. After I give it that much water , with in 10 minutes , it's bounced back up and puts it's arms to the sky.

Pooch., Those border plants aren't dahlia's. Park seed introduced a new zinnia, cherry and apricot profusion. I grew them from seed and they get 12 inches high and a true 15" wide. They have been filled with flowers from the get go and are still filled with buds even in this heat and lack of water. A true winner in my book and you will see them around this place in years to come

http://www.parkseed.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StoreCatalogDisplay?storeId=10101&catalogId=10101&langId=-1&mainPage=prod2working&ItemId=2219

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Zinnias! Sounds like, and looks like a cherished winner there, for sure.

Your DI looks so healthy. One of us has got to get to blooms this year.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

One-third of the Oregon contingent reporting in, over my head finally that is the D.i. and I measured too; it has reached 75 inches. I will take a photo tomorrow. Stalk is certainly getting big and fat around too. Joann

Speaking of zinnias I planted several kinds and colors with seed from Stokes. Boy they are just awesome. Next year I am going to do several more. Just love em.

Looks like yours has decided to finally take off Joann!

I measured mine but that was a few days ago now, it was a good 84" tall. Took a couple of pics but the day one is a large file, can't resize on Vista! This I took at night from the east side, but you can't see the bottom.

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Another healthy couple of contenders: applause, applause! Mine is lean, but too tall to measure, but I'm about 8 inches away from ripping off the gutters with an upward bound D.I.! My next photos will be from the roof.

Bath, NY(Zone 5b)

I finially got my ladder out and my DH, to take this picture. Old Jack is now 10 ft tall. It's surely past the roof but you won't find me on the roof taking pictures, I am not as brave as Pooch!

Thumbnail by willow22552

Nice one willow, looks like NY is a good place to grow these!

Happy Birthday to Mendy!

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

MGH- Happy Birthday to you! We'll start a new thread for that occasion.

Willow, I'm not up on the roof taking photos just yet, and was reconsidering the wisdom of doing so ever again LOL, but the DI upper leaves are kissing the lower gutter/eaves today. Will have to do some rearranging on the ties to the downspout, so the tree can grow out and up, instead of just into the overhang.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

How's it going D.I. people?

My D.I. is ~3ft beyond the eaves with small new leading growth that I keep hoping might be buds, but think it's only another new leafset. It is doubtful for blooms before we freeze, unless we get a real heatwave.

If I can confirm I have buds, I'm going to try Willow's trick of cutting off the top and trying to let them bloom indoors in a vase. Has anyone got buds formed?

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

just what is it you guys are trying to grow?

erika

Ha, trying to grow?? We are growing Tree Dahlia, Dahlia imperialis, lol.

Gee Pooch yours is doing well, mine stood totally still for weeks, must have thought it was winter, lol, but it started to grow again lately and is now reaching over the 30 brick mark! That's 30 x 3.25 plus a bit, must be around 8' 6" which for 11 canes and considering they fell over, apart from the freezing summer, not too bad!

NO BUDS YET!

This message was edited Oct 22, 2008 6:14 PM

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Well mine is a whopping 5'!!...but just think of the possibilities for me next year!! LOL We haven't had a real hard frost yet but I think I will dig it this weekend.

Upon close inspection I saw something that appears to be a bud? Wishful thinking I am sure, considering it is a wee baby, but what do you guys think!

New leaves forming?

Thumbnail by luvsgrtdanes

Oh that does look like a bud! Congrats! I can see another small one further down too, they make a cluster. Your days must be shortening sooner than ours.....I think mine was making buds in early November last year. Frost has been close, we usually get it by the end of the month. :( BUT not yet. lol!

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

OOHH I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed!! I think I will throw a sheet over it at night to see if I can keep it longer..

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Bubblewrap it quick like a bunny luvsgrtdanes! I'm a HUGE fan of this thread. Thanks Pooch for kickstarting it again.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

I got lot of buds but we have been getting in the 30's the past few days so..................who knows what will happen.
If it stays ok like this weather-wise, I could maybe see some purple someday.
But doubt it. But would love to see some blooms. Even one would make me happy!

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Way to go on the buds Luvs and Carol! There may be hope for you Carol with a warming trend, at least up here and possibly in OR too, for the next several days.

Luvs, height doesn't matter (to me) it's just getting them to bloom, especially farther north, that is the major coup! Hope you can pull it off, both of you.

Wallaby, glad to hear you're growing again over there. Never say never! We're still contenders til the fat lady sings.

Bath, NY(Zone 5b)

Well, I'm out of the running. My DI hit a height of 16 feet but we got a froze two nights ago so that's that. Didn't have any buds to bring in. What a beautiful plant it was and now just two stumps waiting to get dug up, boo hoo!

I'm really excited for the rest of you who have bubs, I will be cheering from a far hoping to see some blooms. Congrats luvsgrtdanes, those are great looking buds and you can figure about a week and a half for them to show their face.

Annie, inside blooms are better then no blooms and you will be smiling ever time you walk by them, good luck and good luck to everyone!

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Well she is all covered up with a down blanket..now my neighbors really know I'm a nut!! LOL

We are getting cold at night but supposed to be in the 60s for a few more days and then down to the 50s. I figure I should cut it by end of next week to bring inside if it hasn't opened?

Ronnie

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Move over Ronnie: the Pooch has got buds! I'm sure of it. Even though I can't see my own hand in front of my face, I craned every facial muscle to squint skyward to the top of the ole D.I. and sure enough: there are a little cluster of buds in the new leader growth. Ta da! ( Sure hope they ARE buds LOL.)

I won't have time to get on the roof until Monday, and probably not even then, but I'll try to get a zoom photo over the weekend.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Pics for sure Pooch! Thanks.

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

LOL!! ☺ That's awesome Pooch!! I am hoping we aren't getting to cold here...I am now in zone envy!! Yes pics for sure...

Ronnie

Great Pooch, hoping you don't get one of those dreadful killer frosts! You too luvs, and I mean that sincerely LOL!

Carol, yours will have to make it this year, we want to see them! :)

I took a pic of my tallest tip, I feel sure there's buds forming in there somewhere! We're only getting to just over 50F in the day now, nights around 40F and they say next week wil be very cold! Already had a couple of nights down to around freezing, I hope that was our quota for this time!

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

No buds here. I'm sure it will frost before anything like that will happen.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.