GRITDIG 2008 Who's In It to Win It?

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

No buds here either,Mendy. But a friend from church whom I gave a DI start says he has buds and his is now in a greenhouse; so hoping he will call me to see these blooms.
I was happy to see how well my imperialis grew this summer. I would estimate it is between 10 and 11 feet tall. It is above the window on the first floor. My other dahlias have had some pretty severe frost damage but this one close to the back of the house has survived.

Thumbnail by Lenjo
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Oh I love the color of your house and your pumpkin holder Joann! You guys have such full trees: mine is a spindly little piker.

I couldn't get on the roof, but here is the best blurry zoom of the bud I could get today. My tree is ~ 12 ft tall from whiskey barrel emergence to blowing past the roof and managed to adjust to the angle of growth with only the loss of a couple branches. I have only two tape ties supporting it to the downspout.

Still no prediction of a freeze: I've been ready, but no; still cutting flowers because I hate to waste them.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Wow that's really blurry! Here's the whole tree top and my still-dirty gutters from 2005 :( Who has time to wash gutters?

Thumbnail by Poochella
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Are we supposed to wash the gutters?? That just seems silly to me. I just scoop out the guck. Gutterguck is really good for the garden ^_^

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Thanks Annie, it isn't really a pumpkin holder, I just threw out the pot of petunias that sits in there, they looked kind of sick.

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Oh I am soooooo glad to see other's Di still alive, LOL! Had frost 3 nights now, first was down to 28f (-2C) in the greenhouse so lower outside, second to -4C (25F) lower out, and -2C last night. Of course my dahlia is totally fried! Very cold days too, only up to 44F and lower today, 41F.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

We had frost earlier and enough to make my regular dahlia patch look pretty pathetic; not totally black but definitely are not blooming much anymore. But any dahlias planted in my beds around the house are all alive and blooming. But the di as you can see is still going strong and growing even. Have to get the ladder out to measure its heighth. Our daytime temps are almost 70*F. Joann

Jealous jealous jealus, not far not fair not fair, LOL. 70F has been a luxury for us in the summer!

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Janet, We had a weird summer too- cool August, first couple weeks of September were the best and pretty moderate since then.

Nadine, sorry about the freezes. You got to see tremenedous growth though! I've been watching the snowfall in NY thinking of you. Got my handwarmer things ready for the cold digging days ahead here, so you are not alone.

C'mon Mendy and Carol! You are enjoying the balmy Oregon climate along with Joann; sound in on any DI progress. Someone has got to see blooms besides Dr. Don who started this!

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Well I am sorry to report my Dahlia bud didn't make it ):o

We had a pretty quick drop in the temps and I guess the blanket just wasn't enough. I think if I get a bud next year I will cut it right away to bring it inside.

Well here's to hoping for next year...!!! All dug up and waiting for storage...

Ronnie

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

O no luvgrtdanes sorry to hear that. I was hoping for it. Next year for sure!

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

I was looking at my tree tonight before dark and I couldn't believe it, I see buds. My chances of bloom are slim to none but I am hoping that it being so close to the house it might be protected a little. Joann

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Oh no, Ronnie! You made it so far. Don't be like me and let your DI roots perish overwinter. I'm using cedar shavings in a big box in a temp-controlled room to keep that little sucker (in the off chance the 40 mph winds predicted don't knock it down tomorrow.)

Lenjo, I haven't heard anything about freezing int he PNW anytime soon, so I'm crossing my fingers for you, Carol, and Mendy as DI potentials for 2008. My very little bud group is standing tall above the roof; tree's leaning outward, but standing tall and with no imminent threat of freezing.

Let's do it this year Northwesterners!

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Lenjo,Carol, Mendy...I'm rootin for YA!!! Pooch I'm keeping my fingers crossed!!

Here's hoping you have at least buds for you birthday Joann! :) Have a great day. I would post a pic, but you wouldn't like to see my Di now, lol, nothing but dead leaves, wet ones at that. Only got to 39F today!

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Oh woe is me , tragedy, tragedy. my d.i. does have big fat buds and would be blooming in probably a week or two but this morning, I can hardly bare to write this. My hubby dearest gave me a wonderful wonderful gift and accidently my di tree got knocked over. How can I show my disappointment, I can not. His gift to me is so generous beyond words. I have a huge rhodendron right down on the corner of the house about 3 feet from the Di tree. His gift to me is a porch he will build on the east/front of our house. I have so wanted a porch where I could have wicker furniture and a table. The rhodendron has to go but in taking out the rhodo he accidently pushed it into my imperialis which is now history for this year. I had never seen such pronounced buds.

The Di 's I gave my friend at church and that are in his commercial greenhouse has been blooming for a week. As soon as I download from my camera I will send you photos. It was great to see these two blooming even though it was cheating a bit I know. I felt like Simeon in the story of Jesus being presented in the temple; once Simeon saw the baby he prayed "now you can let your servant go in peace'. LOL

The picture is my house and the porch will run almost the whole east side. He even had my dd draw a computer graphic of it. The porch will run in front of the larger bay window and my little porch on the right will come off.

Thumbnail by Lenjo

Arrrgh, the stress is almost too much to bear, lol! Just wasn't meant to be....that pic has to be another year, lol, I see frost. Such a mixture of pure joy and disaster, oh well what can one do! Looking forward to the pics, you did get some even if you are a donor mother, lol.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

o dear :( However, the excitement of the new porch will make up for it I'm sure. Please post a pic when its done so we can ooooo and aaaah.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Yes, Janet, it was Christmas time at least two years ago because the top upstairs window has been changed totally. That was one of the last original windows in this old house.

Dahlianut, I hope it gets finished this winter/fall yet. We are now head over heels in wreath making ; helping our dd with this will be pretty consuming for a couple of weeks.

Joann

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Happy Birthday Joann! I hope you've had yet another wonder-filled day down there in fair Oregon. So sorry to hear about the DI trauma, but a porch of your dreams is a wondrous gift and a sure sign of a wonderful husband. That's birthday gift enough.

I too want to see the blooms of your shared DIs in the guy's greenhouse. Blooming for a week! My little DI buds are just sitting there, a bit taller and lankier but no fuller than last week at this point. There's just not enough light or heat, and another big ugly rainstorm is moving in tonight.

Here's your birthday flower, and my wishes for many more. Happy Day!

Thumbnail by Poochella

Had a belated thought Joann, did you cut off the flower stems to put inside????

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh, Joann, am so sorry to hear that your tree is gone! Your hubby is trying to do the right thing and still couldn't get it right! LOL
But I bet you will love the new porch! Just sit out there on an nice day!
Happy birthday, Joann!!!

My dahlia tree is still going. I need to take a pic of it. It has lots of branches shooting out toward the sky with blooms on it. I almost think I see some purple but am not sure!
So unless we get some cold weather here, I am wondering if it will bloom for sure then???

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Thanks girls, Janet, I did have the same thought but dug inside the bud to see if I could see some lavendar color but nothing; so bloom was still aways off I am sure.

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Happy B-day Joann
Vancover has finally opened, just for you on your Day.

Thumbnail by tillysrat
West Caldwell, NJ(Zone 6b)

Sorry to hear of your DI mishap, Joann, and a belated happy birthday!

Thumbnail by todgor
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Belated happy B-Day. Wishing many blooming DIs to happen in the future.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Thanks guys, there is a small little three sprout that was at the base of this monster and it is alive and well and I am thinking I am going to try to mulch with some straw and keep this little puppy alive through the winter and maybe get a hardstart for the spring. Do you think it is possible?

Here is the first of three pictures of ones that I gave the guy with commercial greenhouses. I took these photos last Thursday which would be November 6th.

Thumbnail by Lenjo
Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Next.......

Thumbnail by Lenjo
Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Next and Last.........I was amazed at how small the pots he had them in. My tree was actually bigger around but not taller.

Thumbnail by Lenjo

That's it! Now I am going to have to build a taller greenhouse, lol. What a marvellous sight! I can see thick roots venturing through the holes in one pot, he will have to give them much bigger pots next year unless he can put them in the ground. A head start would be good on yours and it does seem a greenhouse will push earlier flowers regardless of day length.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Cool! Thanks lenjo.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Wow- thanks for the photos Joann. That one did really well and it's so nice to see one in bloom. My poor buds are just sitting there soggy as can be, being whipped by gusts to 40 mph and driving rain.

I love the looks of that greenhouse!

Bath, NY(Zone 5b)

Wonderful pics! I agree about the size of the pots, who would of thought. I removed mine from the whiskey barrel and there wasn't enough dirt left to fill a 10 inch pot. Has anyone figured out how to divide these monsters?

You take 'cuttings' willow, that's how they are usually sold, as growing young plants. When it starts into growth next year and if you have more than enough stems, when they are up to about a foot tall just slice through the semi-hard bit where it joins the main stem, or if from the root it should root as long as you have some hardish material at the base. Place in a pot in a warm, shady spot and they root very easily. Mine made late shoots near the base of the stem in it's first year in the ground which I took off. That's probably why I have so many stems now, lol!

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Janet, I'd love to see photos of how you take cuttings, the "semi-hard bit" etc.

My tree is still standing tall with buds unchanged, unfrozen. It's a real Charlie Brown specimen- single stalk, one set of buds but I still treasure it! I wonder if one can 'top' a DI and get more branching?

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

The di's that were in that guy's greenhouse had several stalks and buds all up and down the stalks even some of the little sidearms. I am sure they loved all the warmth. Hang in there Annie, no frost forecast here yet.

I do have my regular dahlias all dug, cleaned and crated up. I will cut them apart more in the spring. I store them in an outbuilding where they are in a truck box. If it gets too cold I will just put a little electric heater in there.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

A little electric heater goes a long way Joann. I'm over halfway done and will begin digging in earnest again tomorrow. Haven't had to deploy the insulated underwear or thermal gloves yet, which is much appreciated.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Yep, I know what you mean about the thermal and insulated gloves and underwear. Last year was downright miserable. This year I got a little smarter and wore rain paints, coat, my dh's boots with NO leaks. I never did feel cold even. LOL

Pooch, that would be a little difficult to show in the Di's present state, lol. Just imagine a shoot coming out with a slight 'J' from the main stem, where you would slice as close to the stem as possible and you should have some harder material, or 'heel' from which it can root.

Yikes, even a small electric heater here would cost the earth now, electricty prices have almost doubled in just over a year! The first 225 kwh units in each 3 month period are now nearly 0.35 a unit, and over 0.14 after but there is an Economy7 rate over night (for which you need a meter) at just under 0.05 per unit from 1am to 8am. I even have a shower now after 1am! To convert that, the $ was around $2 to 1 but lately has strengthened a lot to $1.50 to 1, don't really know why, lol, we're all in the same boat.

Bath, NY(Zone 5b)

Thanks wallaby1. I'm pretty good at cutting and have a small greenhouse to improve the odds. I packed my DI away but I had to use a 32 gallon container, the smallest container it would fit into.

Pooch, next year I am going to try to grow one in the greenhouse for the season. The greenhouse is only 9 ft tall so I am going to pinch it and pinch it to keep it contained. I plan on putting one outside also but I would like to experiment with one in the GH to see if I could get flowers. So when the time comes I will keep you posted. I usually start up the greenhouse the last week of Feb.( my birthday treat) and I plan on waking up the DI then. We will see.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.