GRITDIG 2008 Who's In It to Win It?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Wow willow! ' 32 gallon container'. Looking forward to next seasons pics!

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Congrats dah, on the contest.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

32 gallons! Your roots fared well. I think the greenhouse idea sounds great Nadine. I'm always afraid of pinching my DI lest I kill of the main growth. Is it just like topping a regular dahlia?

Bud update: still sitting there doing nothing, but enjoyed a few days of warmish sun.

Joann, the best lesson I ever learned about digging dahlias in our area was rainpants/jacket and warm waterproof footware. A world of difference from freezing wet tennies and jeans. Today I dug quite a few and was hotin just a sweatshirt- a rarety in mid November.

Janet, what is the source for your electricity there? Hydroelectric, nuclear etc? Just curious. It's expensive no matter location, but really priceless in a prolonged power outage when the dahlias are freezing in storage!

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

That's amazing you still having an unfrozen Di Pooch! Keep a watch for frost, if threatened it might be worth thaking a good length off to put in water. We are having 3 nice days 50F or just over, then Friday it will be low 40's with snow forecast! The Di already looks like it's in the middle of winter, barely a dead leaf hanging, lol.

The main electricity source is still coal fired, there is Nuclear too but a few years ago there was a lot of protesting about leakage into the sea etc and they halted progress in that direction. Now there are plans for increasing wind powered turbines, there has been objections from people living in the proposed areas but it has to be the way to go, we have some very windy coastal areas! There's also talk of utilising sea wave energy.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/climate/adaptation/nuclear_power.shtml

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7169105.stm

http://www.ecotricity.co.uk/windenergy/index.html

The price of coal has also nearly doubled in the last year, everyone is going to be cold as it's barely affordable now at 13.50 a cwt for the cheapest C grade.

The worst thing they did here was to privatise the energy industries, you know how that goes, but the European Union directive enforced it, except for some who blocked others! Sorry, don't mean to get political but it is more factual.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Well, well, well!
Surprise from Oregon!!!

Thumbnail by daisyruffles
Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Getting closer and closer!
LOL

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Ta da!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
See the bloom!

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

AND
CLOSER AND CLOSER!
LOL

See those purple petals coming alive!!! LOL

So if we don't have a freeze this week,
MY DAHLIA TREE will bloom all the way open!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I could bring in a stem from below to see it bloom inside but....................I am not sure if I want to. I am only going to be here the next couple days and then off to see my son in CA for Thanksgiving!

So when I get back, I will have to take another picture. Sure hope it doesn't freeze.....................................

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Whoooooooooo Hooooooooooo this is so exciting daisyruffles!!!!!

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

OMG that is so Awesome!! Keeping fingers crossed for warm sunshine!!!

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Carol you've done it! Look at the number of buds on that monster, and at your latitude, that is a feat! That is just an amazing purple and such a sight against blue skies. I'm afraid our clear skies tonight are going to threaten frost here: had light frost on car windows and roof this a.m., but the DI is still just sitting there untouched and undeveloped.

I think there is another front coming in, so your tree may be very safe under cloud cover for a few days over the holiday. I'll cross my fingers for you. Well done, girl!

Janet, sorry I haven't posted about your various power sources; but the very next day our paper had a feature on harnessing tidal energy and I thought of you. We in WA have wide open plains in the center/east of the state that would be ideal for wind turbines as well as your windy coasts, but the area inhabitants always resist. They say there's a noise component to the turbines that proponents downplay, let alone the unsightliness of a field of tall 'fans.'

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

LOL Annie.
I ended up going back outside late this afternoon and got a stalk to bring inside. It was dropping in temps so................I thought I would try it. I will cut the stalk each day to give it new water path so we shall see what happens.
It is down to 39 deg right now so I was worried about not seeing anything bloom!

It is amazing on how many buds I do have tho. Just think, if we had a normal spring, wonder what would have happened for sure?

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Congratulations, daisyruffles. Hey we can do it here in Oregon. I am so happy you have done it. Keeping my fingers crossed tonight doesn't get too cold.
Joann

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Thanks, Joann. Too bad your dahlia tree didn't make it but..........if hubby hadn't....................maybe it would have...............tho you are a little cooler than me here..............

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Have to tell you though Carol this porch is going to be so worth it. It is going to be such a great addition to our house.

Have your regular dahlias frozen at all? Mine sure got zapped almost a month ago.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

I bet that porch will be so so nice for you to just sit there and enjoy your garden and sunshine!

No. None of my dahlias have been frozen yet. I have cut down just about all of them tho. A few still have some blooms soooooooooo is hard to cut them yet. LOL
We just haven't had a freeze yet here in the valley. It got to like 33-34 deg one day but.............nothing real bad yet. Most of my yard looks very green and happy. So I will be in the nasty December weather putting it all to bed!

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Good idea to cut a branch to try inside Carol. You've got plenty to spare.

Joann, I'm betting your DI can regrow fine in years to come and that you will love your new porch for equally long or longer. I would!

No freeze in my regular dahlias yet either, but I only have about 90 to cut down and process. I'm not waiting til Christmas to dig them. I'm ready to hibernate already!

One word Carol, FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes Pooch, power is a world wide problem and nothing seems to differ from country to country.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Still no freeze here. This is the warmest digging season I can recall and I'm not complaining one bit.

The DI is just sitting there looking cool and damp. Can't say that the buds have swollen at all, let alone shown any color. Maybe for Christmas???!!

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Yep, No freezing here in Oregon either!

HERE WE GO.............................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Da da da da da...................................

Scene 1..........................

Dahlia tree in bloom inside my house!!! As I already said before, I had brought a stalk/branch inside last week. I just figured that it would be dead when I got back last nite from CA.
BUT...............................
NO WAY.........................
It was in full bloom in that vase!!!

Edited to say, that even in the vase, I have it rooting!

This message was edited Dec 2, 2008 11:52 PM

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Close-up of the bloom!

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

AND THE FULL TREE OUTSIDE IN THE REAL WORLD!
Full of blooms blooming and many more to come!

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

AND NOW FOR THE REAL SHOW!!!
Close-up of the blooms......................

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

And more.........................

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

And even closer upper.........................LOL

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

AND EVEN CLOSER.............................LOL LOL

So it can be done in Oregon.........................
But only if it doesn't freeze.........................
And it sure hasn't this year....................
Totally unreal.........................I am so so shocked....................I had expected to come home to a frozen, yucky looking tree...................but my dahlia tree looks very happy and healthy.......................................

So what do you guys think???
Am I the winner??? LOL LOL LOL

Quoting:
Am I the winner??? LOL LOL LOL

YES INDEED YOU ARE THE OUTRIGHT WINNER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, in a way Joann's fostered our children got there first, but not at Joann's place, sorry Joann! But you did get there! :))))

Pooch, if your's aren't showing much bud growth it doesn't look promising, but heck to have no frost until this time is amazing! It is still possible!

You all must have sent the bad weather my way, lol, it's like permanent winter here but the sun shone today and it got to 43F, warm!! Frost most nights at the moment down to the low 20'sF. Global warming is NOT happening here with the last two years denying us little good weather ANY time of the year! :((

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Lordy lordy you might have even outdone Dr. Don's tree down in sunny Temecula Carol! The blooms are lovely both indoors and out, but the masses of buds are just astounding.

I vote you Queen of the DI for sure. Mother Nature has been good to the NW this fall and your green thumb just added to the success. Well done!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

OUTSTANDING daisyruffles!!!! Thanks for posting all the different picks.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Yes, daisy, you are the CHAMPION, WINNER GROWER OF THE DI PAR EXCELLENCE!!!!!!

But Oregon has had frost, I did so I wouldn't have made it anyway.

Congratulations!!!!!

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

LOL Janet! Nah, I will keep my weather compared to yours. LOL

Annie, it sure would be nice to see Don here tho. To see my pics since he was the one who had sent me that stalk!!! This tree is from the very first stalk he had sent me so.......................
But one key I think. It needs to be in much full sun. No shade at all. I am going to try to put a stalk in the front yard which gets even better sun than the back yard which is kind of cool along that back ditch.
So try to find a good sunny spot at your place tho I know it is hard!

Thanks, dahlianut.

Joann! Wish you could come and see it! Take a trip to Albany and I would be glad to show it off to you! LOL
So weird that you had frost tho. We did have some frost a couple weeks ago but it was like it got white on the grass and cars but then right away, it warmed up again.

It is to get down close to freezing this week so we shall see how it fares thru it..........................!

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

WOW congratulations!! What a site for sore eyes after a long day!! OH so pretty~~

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Well the temps are hovering around 34 and destined to go much lower tonight, so I got out the big scary ladder and hacked off the top 2 ft of my DI. It's in a vase indoors looking warmer and happy, but much like a "Charlie Brown" plant compared to your various specimens. Just one straight stalk with a cluster of buds, the largest the size of my thumb pad and side buds like peas LOL. So we'll see if the little buds open or just dwindle.

Carol, I think my DI is in about the best sun I can muster. We are toying with the idea of taking out one monster fir on the hill that will give me a couple more hours of sun down below. That might give me another spot, but less protected from wind/cold.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Yeah, it is supposed to freeze here tonite so we shall see if my dahlia tree is mush in the morning! :( :(

Annie, I changed the water each day, warm water, and cut the stalk under water so it doesn't get bubbles in the stems. I think that helped it bloom. Plus try to put in some better light in the house.
Why are you taking out that big tree then? Disease or what?

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Thanks for that advice, Carol. I'll follow it!

For a couple years, I've been contemplating taking out the fir just for more sun exposure. It's a biggie and on a slope above the lower gardens, so the time would be winter or very early spring to get it down. We wouldn't miss it as far as views or privacy go, but I don't cut down mature trees lightly. I let them fall on my car and garage instead LOL!

We have another giant fir that slowly, slowly found its way to earth over several months- maybe a year, from the neighbors' property and finally falling across ours. Really quite intriguing to watch the rootball slowly unearth and the tree finally topple over a long time. Never heard a thing: we just got up one morning and the 'leaner' was down with only a couple branches of adjacent trees broken on the trip down. You can see the angle of the trunk here, compared to trees above.

There is now definite frost on the roof and car windows: The DI foliage outdoors will likely get nipped tonight, but not the buds! So hope springs eternal for a little bloom yet in 08~!

Thumbnail by Poochella
Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Yep, lost my dahlia tree last nite. Was 26 degrees! Need to take a pic to show how gorgeous the leaves look. LOL
But the blooms are still there so shall see if anymore open up. I should have brought another stalk/stem into the house! Darn!

Annie, your property being on a slope that back part of your property is steep in lots of places. I can imagine those roots of the trees trying to hang on for their lives! LOL

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Isn't that too funky weird? One day gorgeous. Jack kisses them and BANG they look like they've been in a forest fire :O

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

No hard frost after all! Just a little layer of frost on car windows and roof. It is cold though. I spent yesterday and today working on a few more dahlias and cleaning up perennial beds and for the first time had to wear a hat. The DI stalk with buds remains happily esconced in a vase in my kitchen window.

Yes, Carol that back slope is wicked in places. I know I took photos of the slow-motion falling of that large fir over quite a few months- how it slowly bent trunks or broke limbs of adjacent trees on its way earthward. Our first hint that the rootball was lifting was when our 65lb dog disappeared for about 5 long minutes underneath the root area. Thought I was in the Twilight Zone. Who do you call when your dog disappears underneath a pile of ferns for so long? Ghostbusters? It was a weird experience, but nothing dog shampoo couldn't fix right up :)

West Caldwell, NJ(Zone 6b)

Perhaps he was looking for elves with cookies, Annie! :)

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

No, that was ME looking for Keebler elves and cookies! The dog was undoubtedly sniffing out some savvy woods creature that found an unearthed rootball a fine little hideaway from inclement WA weather, I think. Probably moles! She was 'disappeared' under there for an abnormally long time despite many pleas to show herself and had no cookie crumbs on her muzzle on her return.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.