Easy way to propagate

(Zone 11)

A few days ago the nursery man give me a few hints on how they propagate the roses. I was surprised on how easy they do it.

Quite simple , maybe because our warm sunny climate....I dont know...

He gave me about 40 small green foam squares ,
He told me to water the cuttings 3 times a day. And put them aside in the shade.

This is all he does to propagate the roses , so I will try his method.

Seems quite easy and smart idea , I hope it works!
Aida

Thumbnail by goddessdreams
Queen Creek, AZ(Zone 8b)

No leaves? I am definitely no expert, and have only had success starting a a small amount of cuttings, but I thought the leftover leaves were supposed to be important.

Let us know how the method works! I am always excited for new and easier ways to get things like that accomplished.

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

I would only suggest one more thing...

Those cubes look like they are sitting in water...I'd imagine that he suggested watering them three tines a day, so they didn't dry out, but sitting in water is probably not a good idea...they rot easily that way.

You may want to just drain off some of that water, or poke a hole in the bottom of the milk jug.

Other than that, you are off to a great start! I wish you the best!
-T

(Zone 11)

Good idea!!! No , they should not have that much water in them :-)
Just moist.

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Any luck so far ? are any tiny roots showing ?

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

I was wondering the same thing...
How goes it?

(Zone 11)

Guys , they are doing great!!! No roots yet , at least not visible yet hehe.

They are already putting new leaves. I will take some pics tomorrow.

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Are these cuttings from roses that have bloomed already ?
I am willing to try this easy method.

(Zone 11)

yes, they are all cuttings from some of my roses that are currently in bloom.

Perrysburg, OH(Zone 5a)

I would love to know if this works, I'm a florist and we typically don't arrange roses in oasis because they don't last as long as they do in plain water; so I've been told. I am really excited about this and am wondering if you used any rooting hormone???

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7b)

Goddess any updates or progress. I can't wait to see if this really works......

Don

Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

I just had success with doing basically the same thing, but I put mine in zip lock bags so they never have been watered. I used regular potting soil. In my dry climate I would let the dry out for certain without the bags. But I am sure that if the nursery guy advised this is gonna work really well for you!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/855873/

(Zone 11)

Guys , they are already leafing. I have about 5 of this bowls full of healthy cuttings.
They are all happy and very green. I used the powder rooting hormone .

It has been raining like crazy here and I live about 20' from a mounain we have a lot of humidity. Maybe this helps too , not sure.

Thumbnail by goddessdreams
(Zone 11)

I'm going to try with a bigger oasis foams , and sort them by rose type. Maybe stick 20 or 30 on a single foam. Maybe is easier with a bigger foam than this tiny ones. They keep pulling out of the cuttings. LOL

Aida - Are the cuttings stuck all the way through the foam or do they stop in the middle?

Also, exactly what type of foam is it?

Thanks so much!!!!!!

Don

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

Wow, that's looking great.
Don, I saw chunks of foam in the craft section of Wal-Mart the other day, cheep stuff.

Dove

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Don,
it's called Oasis.Don't buy the "rough" green blocks which are for ARTIFICIAL floral arrangement but the softer type.You will be able to feel it.

My cuttings did not take so I pulled them up.

Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

I am guessing florist foam? That stuff holds a lot of water? we cross posted, yep that is what I thought!

This message was edited Jun 3, 2008 7:20 AM

goddessdreams - Could we have an update! Dying to see how this worked for you!

Don

Winchester, VA(Zone 6a)

Very cool. Did you also do the bleaching stage?

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

I also would love to see how your cuttings are doing ?

When we went to a family funeral and then further up country a few weeks ago I took some cuttings from a very old rosebush from my husbands homestead that burned down many years. aog. So far I just kept them in water and some are forming callices.We'll see ?

Winchester, VA(Zone 6a)

Good luck, Brig - that'd be such a wonderful gift.

(Zone 9b)

What fun! I can't wait to see all those little rose bushes.

Good luck, Brigitte!

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Thanks peg and kell,
I hope I have success even with one this time.Would be great to have something from his childhood.

Albany, ME(Zone 4b)

How do you know whether or not propogation like this will result in a strong rose, since so many roses are grafted to a different root? Do you do this only with own-root roses?

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Oh, I would really love an update on this. I have no trouble getting fresh cuttings to make new leaves. It's the roots that you need and that's where I get stuck. So goddess, if you're out there, did you get roots???

(dana)Owensboro, KY(Zone 6a)

grampapa i know ,i have the same problem i get a few little roots (i find out after it dies )and leaves then it just dries up

Winchester, VA(Zone 6a)

I have yet to get any roots!

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

LAS14, nobody answered your question. If you take a cutting from above the graft, you will have a rose that is 'pure' to the one want. There is no mixing genetically speaking of the rootstock with grafted plant.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

wow I wish I saw this earlier, im going to totally try this So Im asuming the roots would get hurt when you pull oasis off so do you just plant it with the oasis.

Moon Twp, PA(Zone 6a)

Any luck? Did the oasis work for anyone?

I hope you haven't got the cuttings in water still Eglantyne, as they probably won't fare well there.

I know the zip lock bag method worked excellent for me!

~ Suzi :)

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Suzi, the zip lock bag method?? this is another one I don't know about... do tell, please.

Fort Mill, SC(Zone 7b)

I was very interested in what you have done. I have a red rose that is beautiful and smells so good. It's on it's last legs. Since my husband died, I just can't keep them up. It has a new shoot with leaves. Do you use the new shoots or wait till they have bloomed.?Could you cut a long cane into several pieces? I'm dying to know because I also have a Peace that is hanging innand that was my husband's favorite. Thanks for all info. blugld

Moon Twp, PA(Zone 6a)

grampapa
for zip lock bag method see here: http://davesgarden.com/community/blogs/t/BriarRose74/2299/

I would have linked to it directly, but wanted to note the caution.
Also, check out garden diaries and journals. Lots of great, interesting info in them! ~ later, Suzi :)

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Suzi, thanks for the link and your extra note. I will try it. I would like to try the florist foam, too. Nothing to lose, right?

(Phyllis) Flint,, TX(Zone 7b)

A tip I can give you that one of the nursery guys at chamblee's rose nursery told me is to make sure when you take your cutting that you look at the leaves and pull them back just a lil bit and make sure there is a lil dot just above where the leaf connects to the stem make your cut below that so when you put it in the soil that dot is at least an inch in the dirt as that is where it will start to grow from.

I have tried the bag method but I messed up by taking my start out of it too soon after it rooted so it died

I also take and dip the cutting in water then in root hormone then in the water again and then put it in the hole I made with a pencil then gently move the soil around it.

Moon Twp, PA(Zone 6a)

I don't remember exactly what it is, but use the stuff they say in the ziplock bag method.. Also, I usu put mine into clear plastic cups with dirt and holes in, usu 2-3 per gal ziplock bag. Put them at the back of my baby bed so they are kind of shaded, and ignore them for couple months.

I thought into the big ziplock by itself wasn't good use of time and materials. Besides, it is flimsy... Then I can see how the root system is developing before I take them out w/o disturbing anything. Usually plant them in the baby bed for a year or two before sending them out into the cruel word, LOL. ~ Suzi :)

Kannapolis, NC

Goddessdreams, any luck yet on those cuttings? I'd like to try to root some cuttings from my MIL's hybrid teas. Anyone have any suggestions on this?

Queen Creek, AZ(Zone 8b)

I detailed my almost foolproof method for rooting cuttings on the SW forum, here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/885600/. I put down everything you need, steps, and whatever else I do. I have had about 95% success, and the ones that failed I didn't treat with antifungal applications well enough, and also tried to use the 2 liter soda bottle instead of a baggie.

Chris - very nice and detailed, thanks!

Don

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.