East Texas Roundup - Trade Lists

(Maggi) Big Sandy, TX(Zone 8a)

D'oh, sorry catlady, I have been a little goofy lately, yes, I got your Dmail! I will even answer, sorry I am a little distracted.

Dde: "a very unique peacock moss."?? I think we have to have some of that!

Jacksonville, TX(Zone 8a)

The peacock moss is really neat. I can get you a good start and it spreads quickly.
D

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

will peacock moss grow in fate? what on earth is it?

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

I am having a fit for brugs. So I'd love one of them. I have been wanting helebores too. And heuchera,

I'll have cannas, EE, coleus, and other stuff, will finish list when I find out what all I have. Marian, Catlady has already warned me I might have to ride with plants in my lap and face. Don't tell me we gotta get on top too!!!

Gilmer, TX

It sure could come down to that Lorraine. I'll try not to drive too fast.

Peacock moss is a really cool ground cover. It is iridescent with blues and greens. It will show different colors with more sun. It can spread quickly and take over if it is happy. It will grow in Fate in damp shady places. Since I do not know how to show you a plant file photo, you can go there or my Have's trade list to see it.
Maybe a computer nerd can post a photo.
Really like it when it climbs over some of my reddish sand stones.
You will want some of it.
D

Big Sandy, TX(Zone 8a)

LorraineR, we will be taking Maggi's van and will have lots of room for your plants. You can come by the next day and get them from our place.

Hahahaha, Ken has to be watched closely when it comes to plants. We overwintered some banana plants for our friend Kathryn and he ended up planting all of hers in his 'BananaLand' this spring! Kathryn and I had to go out and dig some up and replant them at her house.

We would love to have the Gilmer group come out here anyway, we're just 20 minutes or so out of town, just off FM 1795.

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/56487/

here it is D. there ain't no damp shady places in my yard unless i manufacture them. but i do like it and would like to try to grow it.

anybody want any hibiscus cannabinus plants? i had several varieties of this last year and they reseeded quite a few places. think this one is everglades 41 but could be one of 4 other varieties.

MamaJ
I'll save you some or we can get from the yard.
Is this hibiscus-cannainus the hardy type ? Am not familiar with the everglades 41. Are these the ones that grow very large and have the huge blooms ?
Guess I could look it up, huh !
D

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

blooms are not that big, bout like okra. but the plants get huge. they are not hardy but they did reseed in lots of places. everglades 41, tainung 2, whitten, and i forget the other names...none very exciting. this is the plant called KENAF. it is being grown to make paper in texas and other parts of the south because it gets so big so fast. i saw a picture of a crop being grown with a grown man. he looked like a dwarf and the kenaf looked like huge bamboo stalks.

Hey mamajack!

Could I please have some of these?

Penstemon tenuis
wine cup
purple bee balm
purple ajuga
vanilla grass

Winnsboro, TX

DdeTex- I would love a start of your Peacock Moss and just about anything else you might have.LOL

I'll bring you some different irises. I'll just have to see what I can divide right before the round up.

Lorraine I'm going to bring my motorcycle helmet just in case CatLady decides to tie us to the top of the car. I know she's not going to trust Ken with her plants after reading what Maggie wrote about the banana trees he was keeping for a friend. Hey Ken, how about digging me up one of those banana trees you kinna helped yourself to. LOL

I may see if I can pour the 5 gallons of gas for the lawn mower can into my car. This way I could probably make it to Big Sandy to visit Ken and Maggies Gardens. LOL I just wonder if anyone would notice I didn't mow and the can is empty.

Happy Gardening and I can't wait to trade plants with everyone.
Marian

Tyler, TX(Zone 8a)

Dde Tex, I have not posted my plants yet but when i do would you see if I have something to trade for peacock moss.

Joan

Oh I would love some black Bamboo
eyes of tx. I would like a pink Crinum

I will post after Maggi's big weekend she will have to tell me what all the big names are. Right Maggi.

I will warn all of you that when Ken comes to my house I tie his hands behind his back and you won't believe what he can get with his feet.

This message was edited May 29, 2008 8:10 PM

Joan and Marian- you have some of the peacock moss saved.
Do not worry about a 1 to 1 trade. A RU is just fun and we all will just give what we have to give. When folks do not have plants to trade and feel bad they can bring compost, Bloom buster, MG or a fertilizer they like to use. Just come and enjoy the friendship. In gardening I find that what you give away always come back ten fold. Never fails.
DD
Got some for you too MamaJ

(Phyllis) Flint,, TX(Zone 7b)

wow being gone all day with school field trips sure makes for some enjoyable and interesting reading in the evening.
I am so looking forward to this Ru to get to meet DGers in this area!!

Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

Lorraine, I know you like coleus. Please take a look at my list on the Buffalo RU thread and see if there are any you'd like.

I don't have hellebores or heuchs big enough to share yet. I have trouble keeping the heuchs alive for longer than a couple of years, and my hellebores aren't big enough to drop seeds yet. Maybe next year.

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

surprise, patti. surprise.

Winnsboro, TX

Oh I just want some of everything everyone has. There, that will make my wish list and want list alot easier to keep up with. LOL

Jest, I feel like I know Ken already and I've never meet him. He's like me he probably wants EVERYTHING he sees plant wise and bird wise. LOL

I've just got to get out to ya'll place in Big Sandy sometime next week if I can. I'm going crazy just thinking about all the wonderful plants ya'll have.

Happy Gardening, and ya'll please try to keep up with this update wish/want list of mine.

Best Regards To All,
Marian

Big Sandy, TX(Zone 8a)

Maggi's holding her grand opening this weekend, come on down, it should be lots of fun.

Gilmer, TX

I'm planning on it, Ken. Pam

Ken or Maggi what are the hours for the grand opening?

9 am to dusk, both Saturday and Sunday. Then we go to Sunday thru Friday noon to 6 pm and Saturday 9 to 6 pm. I am a little nervous :~) I quit my day job - LOL!

Gilmer, TX

Maggi, We're on the way. Should be there in about 45 minutes. Pam

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

remember to check my list periodically as i keep adding as i remember things. i have extra root beer plants and some kind of willow tree.

maggie...if you have an extra cranberry crush iris i want one. and if you have any ginger that flowers early and that might be hardy here i would like that too.

D...if you have a small flowering almond i need another one. and a lion's tail. which variety is this one anyway? i have some sort but it's not this one.

lovelyiris...if you have extra jap maple or morning glory that is not purple i would like those. i have kniola black morning glory seedlings i think if anyone wants some.

mibus...i want some pink double poppy seeds. do you want some double purple?

also, was it you yardboy that had the trees? i would be interested in any of those esp. red maple, chestnut and poplar. and do any of those oaks have big leaves? i saw one in edgewood but don't remember what variety it was.

Tyler, TX

mamajack, could I have a root beer plant? Please

Gilmer, TX

Lorraine and I just got back from maggidew's grand opening. Ohhhhhh does she have some stuff to die for! You guys should see that yard, just full of all kinds of brugs that already have buds and some are flowering. In addition there are day lilies, cannas, hosta, plumeria (in the ground, no less) and an assortment of other things too numerous to mention. The gardenias were in bloom, so the smell was delicious. Lots of stuff for sale, and the biggest assortment of named brugs I've ever seen. We had a great time and got some good stuff too. Thanks maggie and ken!!

Rusk, TX(Zone 8a)

mamajack, the Shumard and Chinquapin oaks both have fairly large leaves. I'll bring some of both. Is anyone interested in daylilies that are unnamed and unidentified?

mama the pink were single and the red ones were double but I can bring ya some of both and sure purple would be fine since I only have the red and pink so far

EasTexYardboy, I'd love any unidentified daylilies!

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

EastTexBoy, I can use some more daylilies, no matter what kind they are, they're all lovely.
So, it sounds like I need to swing by Maggie's too, huh, Pam? Do I bring my own shovel?

"eyes"

Gilmer, TX

I did make friends with the dog. Bring some pruners, "eyes", because we'll want to go around the yard for brug cuttings. Bring a flashlight too so we can get the names. LOL

Rusk, TX(Zone 8a)

Looks like I'm going to have to pull a trailer after all!

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

thanks yardboy. i will take all the trees you don't need. i need some but my sister and nephew have uses for some as well.

if everyone would look at my tradelist to see if your name is by whatever you asked for i would appreciate it so i don't forget. added some more things also.

does anyone have broken colored tile pieces? need 'em for a craft project. or colored marbles. or colored glass. or unwanted metal objects.

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

Mamajack, I would love some wine cup, and yellow scabiosa too. Greedy little hen here....

"eyes"

Big Sandy, TX(Zone 8a)

mamajack I would also like some obedient plant, Tropicana cannas, a wine cup and hot lips salvia. thanks. I will make sure you get some special Bruges.
kenboy

Hmmm, we may be able to supply a little glass and tile? I will check and post pics if I find some good stuff.

Oh, and yes, bring shovels! We have a half a dozen SOMEWHERE around here, but they are hard to find!

mamajack,

I'm interested in any of the following from your list:

pink oxalis
penstemon tenuis
purple bee balm
red spider lilies
brazilian verbena
apple mint
tiny screamin' yellow baptisia seedling
pink mist scabiosa
root beer plant

I'm going to try my best to bring you some things you'd be interested in!

Edited to add: would it be possible to get a start of the Canna musifolia? Alas, I left mine in Bryan when we moved here.

This message was edited May 31, 2008 9:09 PM

maggidew, I'm interested in:

Turquoise Puya
Louisiana Iris seedlings
Hyacinth Bean
Hedychium
Cannas (especially reds if you have any)
Colocasia esculenta 'Illustris'

Also would be interested in any elephant ears!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.