What Shampoo For Hard Water

Wharton, TX(Zone 9a)

Just moved to an area with hard water and wanted to know what shampoo to use.

Centralia, MO

me too, I had to turn off our water softener to cut down on bills and my skin and hair are suffering!

Gaston, IN

I have grown up around hard water and it is a pain. I have light colored hair so it would turn my hair a rusty color after a while and I would have to go in for detox treatments. I used a detox shampoo - (aveda detox shampoo or maliboo detox shampoo) - This doesn't help with the moisture though but helps keep the rust out and you will have to use a really good deep conditioning shampoo (which I used an aveda brand OR also red ken has a good one)

We recently had our water softner company put a filter system in. It filters out I guess 99% of stuff before it even goes into the softner. -- I would suggest to anyone to get this - It has helped a ton - I don't use conditioner hardly ever any more and before it was almost a daily thing. My clothes and dishes seem to get cleaner and best of all I am not always scrubbing the toilets, sinks and tubs to get rid of the rust rings!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

We have hard water and also have a whole house filter and another filter on the drinking water, cleans out all the metals.

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

I too am a "strawberry blonde" due to hard water. You need to use a heavier shampoo & conditioner, and more of them to counteract the hard water. I use Nexxus Therappe shampoo, & Nexxus Enphuse conditioner. I also use leave in products like conditioners, smoothing or shine lotions. Once a week you should use a demineralizing treatment. I use Malibu Wellness "Making Water Well" which has three products for different uses. If the minerals build up on your hair, it won't do anything you ask of it. We have an iron filter which helps some, but it does not soften the water. Our water tastes excellent though!
Try eBay or outlet stores instead of salons for better prices.
Hope this helps ~
Julie

Wharton, TX(Zone 9a)

thanks julie. I'll look for the Malibu Wellness products....

Gainesville, GA

Another great shampoo to keep the orange hues out: Shimmer Lights by Clairol.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.