Purple sword plant????

Perrysburg, OH(Zone 5a)

We got a new plant in at work today, the only name anyone seems to know is "Purple sword palnt" to me its looks like a Chinese evergreen, except that the back ofthe leaves are a plumy purple color. Does anyone have an idea of the botanical name, or does it even soud familar??
thanks for all your help,
Becky

Petaluma, CA

Wonder if it could be one of the Cordylines? The "Ti plants" have some unusual colorations, and a young top cutting might have a resemblance to a Chinese Evergreen. It might be somewhere under C.terminalis.
(There's a lot of confusion with them and some of the Dracaenas.)
HTH, perL :)

Perrysburg, OH(Zone 5a)

Thanks perLite,
does "homalomena" ring a bell??? Thats what our grower told me it was, and that he bought them from someone else and couldn't give me much more info than that. It does look alot like a chinese evergreen but the growth habit is not as compact, it looks more like a diffenbachia in habit.
Becky

Petaluma, CA

Hi, Becky,
I haven't had much exposure to Homalomena. It's in the Aroid family (Araceae), and that makes it a relative of Chinese evergreen...(and Philodendrons, Anthurium, Dieffenbachia, Pothos...on, and on). It can also be listed as Schismaglottis. I have the impression that it's a very underappreciated one of the family. From what I've been told, it's not terribly thirsty or demanding. This sounds like a worthy, rewarding plant. HTH, perL:)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.