My babies! Disneyland and Sunrise mini

Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

I just had to share this photo. That is a Disneyland rose planted bareroot this February. It is barely as tall as the coreopsis and has 7 blooms already. Many buds too. They are a bit smaller than on the older one, but still pretty. I ordered three from J&P after the one I planted in Jan. '07 did so well for me. One did not do well and I emailed them, got an answer the same day and got a new one 4 days later! I planted it in a pot and gave to DD for her birthday. It is blooming beautifully for her too.

Thumbnail by cactuspatch
Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

Someone had asked me about a photo of my Sunrise mini on an earlier thread. Sorry, my memory fails me as to who? That discussion lead to where to buy one. We didn't find anyplace and mine had been a gift DH brought me from HD or Lowe's possibly the grocery store a few years ago. Well, I decided to just try rooting it. I did it once before a few years ago with another rose. I snipped about 7 inches off the Sunrise in a couple of places. Stripped the lower leaves and popped them into some rooting hormone. Then into these little pots filled with normal potting soil. I covered with zip bags, watered and sat in an east facing window. I think it has been about 3 weeks. Sorry, not scientific! Well, they are both rooted and seem to be doing well. One has more new leaves than the other. So thanks to this board I will have 2 new minis to fill in around my large bushes next year. I kept the other rose I rooted in a pot the first year as I was worried it might dry out if I planted it outside. Since that worked, I will do the same with these! My grandma used to snip cuttings and place in the soil under a larger rose bush, then cover with a milk jug. So maybe this is in my genes. LOL! Nope if I can you can, give it a try!

This message was edited May 30, 2008 3:40 PM

Thumbnail by cactuspatch
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Cactus, your Disneyland looks great! I tried to find one locally back in March, but to no avail. Thanks for the info on the cuttings. I have tried rooting several roses in the last two months and none of them have taken. However, I didn't realize I needed to cover them with a plastic baggie or a fruit jar. I dipped my cuttings into rooting hormone, too. I think maybe I would let them dry out too much between waterings--they were sitting on the back porch and got morning sun. When you have the baggies over them, how often do you have to water them? How do you know when they have "taken root"?

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i love your picture! it's so colorful and bright. don't you just love Disneyland? i got one this late spring on Fortuniana rootstock at HD. the colors hold up so well in this hot sun. so far it is very, very healthy too. i don't think i've seen one bad leaf on it yet.......knocking on wood! LOL

Peekskill, NY(Zone 6b)

Great photo, and I'm envious of your success with Disneyland! I ordered five of them from JP a couple of years ago, and they remained quite small, and frequently got black spot. But I loved the blooms! I ended up consolidating the small plants into one this past spring. We'll have to see how they do.

This message was edited May 30, 2008 11:23 PM

Peekskill, NY(Zone 6b)

Last year's blooms of Disneyland.

This message was edited May 30, 2008 11:23 PM

Thumbnail by Repeat_Bloomer
Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

That rose looks so good against that house color!

Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

marsue, I don't water them at all in the baggies. They are their own little terrarium. I remembered my Grandma putting them under the jugs and knew they needed to be kept damp. When I tug lightly on them I can tell they are rooting. Plus just a couple of days ago I noticed new lime green shoots on both of them. That one with all the leaves I noticed adding new leaves about a week ago. I assumed both are something it wouldn't do if not rooted.

Tracks, yes it is my favorite rose right now. I think you are right that the fact the color holds up so long in intense bright sun is another reason I love it. Plus that I love all the colors it displays! This photo is one I took a couple of weeks ago of the older DL I planted in '07.

RB, great shot of your DL. Sorry it got BS for you. That is not a problem on the desert so I would not have realized it did. Mine never did get taller than about 3 feet, which is what the catalog mentioned. Actually, with our long season I am pruning back many of my roses by July just to keep them to a size where I don't need a ladder to make a bouquet. So the small size is what I am looking for in roses nowadays. Good luck with yours this year!

Sue, thanks you know I am a "peach" lover too! I probably mentioned that I picked that color because it looked like terra cotta pots. ; )

Thumbnail by cactuspatch
(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Cactus-
THAT WAS ME!!, hee-hee...so can you root another one for me??

I've checked my HD every time I go, and nothing...

I've lots of roses and other stuff, if you want to trade off one of your rooted cuttings or root another one. I am still just in love with your picture of it. :0)

If you are interested, let me know. I have some roses rooted in pints, some in gallons, and some in five gallon pots, and some I'd like to dig up, lol...

Email me if intersted, and I'll send you a list. ;0)
-Taylor

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Calif-Sue, you took the words right out of my mouth, all the great color against your stucco orangey house is quite stunning. I think Disneyland will have to go on my list after seeing such great shots.

Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

Lenjo, you are in my zone so it should do well for you too!

Springfield, OH(Zone 6a)

Cactus, that photo is absolutely STUNNING!!!

Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

Thanks crash, but I gotta say it is more the rose than me. I took my best ever photo (I think) of a rose and it was of a cluster of Disneyland blooms. Check out the photos here at plantfiles.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/193289/

Springfield, OH(Zone 6a)

That is one amazing rose, I think I would have to see beyond my HT thinking for this one. Ya know, I mainly just grow the teas because of space issues. I'm loving this Disneyland!!

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Wow! that Disneyland is definitely a must have! Simply gorgeous!

Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

crash, yep I like it since it is small. Mine has stayed a lot smaller than my teas.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.