Thank you Patty!

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Patty,

Your box arrived this afternoon. That was the best packing job I've ever seen on plants. What a nice box!!!

They all looked so good when I opened the box. I was in a bit of a hurry then because hubby had just gotten home and he wanted us to take both dogs for a walk.

So I laid them all out with just a quick admire.

Thumbnail by UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

After the walk, it was time to start some supper. I fixed deer sausage and scrambled egg tacos because that was the quickest thing I could think of to make. I was bound and determined to unwrap those babies.

In the meantime, I had to move them so I parked them, still wrapped up on the counter to admire while I was chopping up the sausage.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Supper was finally over and the dishes were done. Time to unwrap the gems. I wanted to get photos of each one with the names on them so I'd remember who was who.

I didn't open them alphabetically, but saved the photos with each name after I'd taken the photos.

In that box were several beautiful cuttings of each of these:
Beckwith's Gem
Brouhaha
Ducky Royal
Flamingo
Merlot
Roaring Fire
Smoldering
Sunglow Yellow
Sunrise
Super Duckfoot

I don't have any good potting soil at the moment, so I put them into a nice bowl of water until I can get my butt to the store for something to plant them in.

In the meantime...

Thank you Patty for your Gift of Love. You've helped me to keep my promise to not buy any plants and still be able to enjoy the beauty of the coleus. You are a treasure of the "first water" and I love ya gal! I will do everything I can to keep these over the winter so I can enjoy them for a long time to come.

Many, Many hugs!
Janet

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

I'm on my way to the Hardware store for some good potting soil. I'll post more photos when I get them potted up.

I'm thinking of taking a pool filter that Connie gave me that's about 2 - 2 1/2 ft. tall and making it into one of those bloom master pots with the holes all around it that onewish posted in the container garden forum. I have a hole saw that I could use to drill out the holes. Hubby has already cut the top of the filter off. I've already spray painted it with some pretty metallic colors to camouflage the dull gray of the filter. What do y'all think? I had originally thought of making it into a small water garden, but I really like the idea of coleus growing all around that big container.

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

What a wonderful thread! I'm smiling so big for you Janet. Your big container idea sounds fantastic!

I got a box from a dear DGr yesterday and it was like Christmas! Thank you Lala_Jane!! What a super duper "pick-me-up" it was! I wish I would have gotten pics before I potted some and they are not all together anymore.

If I only had a brain....

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

You are so welcome Janet!!!!!! Enjoy!!!!!

Really love the color of your granite; these pictures really show off the color.

Not sure what a pool filter looks like so look forward to seeing your creation. You go girl!!! Post pictures when you do it so we can see.

Love ya,

Patty

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Here's the pool filter... with the top cut off of it. You can kind of tell how thick this stuff is. Connie used one similar to this for growing tomatoes like a strawberry pot this year.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

You can't see it, but there is a drain plug towards the bottom of the pool filter.

Anyhow, I decided NOT to use that afterall because I really do want a water garden with that.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO..... this is what I used.... now it's not planted yet. Kaylee has been here all afternoon. She was napping for a bit while I worked on this planter. When she got up, she didn't feel like planting and then her Mom came to get her. They just did leave and Hubby is on his way home so we can go eat All you can eat Ribs. That's become a Thursday night ritual, as some of you already know.

I did make a slide show so you can see what the pot will look like. http://albums.phanfare.com/4856019/2146898_2309284#imageID=30514475 I'll post a photo when I get it planted up tomorrow.

This message was edited Jun 19, 2008 6:39 PM

(Zone 9b)

WOW! Those coleus look gorgeous in that blue bowl. So nice of Patty! I remember when I was taking care of my Mom a few years ago in NJ, I found some gallon cans of huge coleus cheap at the end of summer. I took them home and cut them and they make the prettiest and I might add long lasting flower arrangement I have ever had. My Mom loved them too.

I can't believe that pot is that black plastic. My yard is full of them! Are you going to plant in the holes? Looking great. And that pool filter is incredible. What is that made from, metal?

I must say Janet, you eat well. I just IMed my husband and told him no food for dinner and no plans to go out and buy some. He thankfully emailed me back that pizza is OK. I wonder if it is Thursday, our usual take out in night.

(Zone 9b)

Oh my it is Thursday. I have accomplished NOTHING all week!

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Kell, that Hammered Metal paint has really dressed up so many of my hideous pots. I found it last year and just went crazy painting pots that were 15-20 years old that were faded and ugly. I found the silver paint at the Treasure House for $2. The gal at the register told me that she'd donated it. She said I bought it to paint one little thing and couldn't think of anything else to do with it. I guiltily took that donation off their hands and have gone to town camouflaging many of those cheapo nursery pots.

The pool filter is a really thick plastic. The indestructible kind. It was a sand filter. Connie ended up with several of them over the years. The guy that lived up stairs for a while worked for a pool company. He was always bringing stuff home that she may have needed. Recently she did a major clean out behind her shop and "unearthed" quite a few goodies that were going to the road for big trash. I gladly went over there and picked them up to recycle. Hubby used a saws-all reciprocating saw to cut the top off. He WAS going to use it for a deer feeder for hunting, but the screw on top was missing.

The top part that he cut off can be used also as a planter providing I can find the right thing to set down into that big 8-10" hole. I was thinking a collander (which I have plenty of that are also painted) would work very well for drainage on the top part.

The ribs were excellent and the potato salad and pintos were great too. I feel like a two gutted tick! HAHAHAHA And the best part, I didn't have to clean up!

Many years ago, when the kids still lived here, Thursday night was pizza night here too. Now that Hillary works at Papa John's Pizza and we get half off, we hardly ever have pizza any more. It's a treat when we do. I usually buy the Freschetta pizzas when they are on sale and add a few more toppings. I like those that rise in the oven.

I think I'll go wander around and see if it's cool enough to plant up those coleus. Yes, those will go into that planter. Ohhhhhh.... and I did coleus cuttings for Christmas decorations instead of Pointsettias. Worked out wonderful and they did last quite a while.... until I started smelling something that smelled like the bottom of a month old aquarium! HAHAHAHA Dumb me didn't think to change out the water.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Well I got out there and started to get the soil ready. I unloaded 3 bags of Miracle Grow Garden Soil with the enriched fertilizer that is supposed to make your plants grow twice as big. Also the large bag of Perlite to help make the soil lighter. I also got out my brand new little shovel that was my reward for not spending any money on plants. It's about half the size of hubby's big lunking shovel that I'm forever being clumsy with. His handles give me blisters too when I don't wear gloves.

I open the first bag of soil and dump it into the bath tub. Then sprinkle a good size handful of Perlite. Next bag goes in, and another handful of Perlite. Third bag goes in. I get a photo of my shovel and here come the rain. VERY SUDDENLY. I'm scrambling to keep my camera covered and bring the bowl of coleus back into the house, while closing up the lid on the bathtub. Geez. Where did THAT come from??? So now it's raining. I'm NOT complaining because I didn't water this morning and things were a bit droopy. I am sure God knew that I really needed to give some things a drink and I'd be out there in the dark by the time I finished planting the new pot.

So I'll plant it up tomorrow.

Here's my new shovel. I figured I'd better take a photo of it BEFORE I started mixing up the new soil.

(Zone 9b)

I am afraid to ask what a two gutted tick is, LOL. Sounds bad. That paint is so neat. So you are going to put the coleus thru those holes? They look small.

I was planting up my many holed planter today. All that glitters is not gold. I realize the holes are too close together and too small. I may have to rip everything out and put in impatiens in a few weeks if it just looks messy when it gets settled in. You will have to show us yours when done.

So you can buy new soil but no new plants? Soil is so expensive! That looks like a great shovel.

Thumbnail by Kell
(Zone 9b)

I forgot to mention I put in 3 coleus on the north side. A Burgundy Wedding that looks like a trailer with small leaves. A Curly Speckles that has small leaves and I am thinking will not grow big by its looks and a Stained Glass that also looks like it is not aggressive and has small leaves. I had it in the sun and unlike the 2 others, it hated to be there.

Woodway, TX(Zone 8a)

Anybody have any comments about Lava Rose (coleus)? How do you use it, do you like it, is it tough?

DP

Glen Riddle Lima, PA

lava rose-

it's nice as an underplanting in a container planting.

this year i am using it in some of my garden borders, alternating with strawberry drop.

i wish mine would grow faster. but maybe it just looks small because i'm used to strawberry drop, which is larger. lava has smaller leaves.

it's especially beautiful in very bright sun- the magenta heart really glows.

i think it's a pretty tough coleus. i left last year's mother plant in its original 4 1/2" pot outside after making cuttings and brought it back inside, leaving it in a dark basement and forgot about it for about a month. i brought it back upstairs to a south-facing garden window, and it sprang back to life and put out enough shoots to make about 12 cuttings. for all the abuse it got, it's done really well.

so i guess i like it alot.

joy

Woodway, TX(Zone 8a)

joy, you are an angel for giving so much good info. I had a chance to buy a flat of this today and jumped at it. I was hoping it would be a good "trailer." The small leaves are something different from what we generally have to pick from. And since ALL my plants are in bright sun, what you said was esp. encouraging. These plants have gotten pretty leggy (it seems Lava Rose tends to do that anyway) so I guess I'll do some major pruning and pot up at least some of the cuttings, although I don't really need them. Who says we have to NEED more coleus if we want to propogate more? After your good news I'm hyped over this serendipitous find, and can't wait to put the plants to use, esp. in mixed containers. It looks kind of delicate to me, so the best news of all is that it doesn't have to be babied. Many thanks-
A friend said her mother had this years ago, but I looked it up and it seems to be a fairly new introduction (Ball Company???) so don't know about that.

DP

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

First off, I got to thinking about it just now and decided to rename my pot so the folks at Master Blooms wouldn't get upset with my cheapo imitation. I like to do the right thing. Sometimes it takes me a while to realize I have screwed up, but I take steps to make it right as soon as I possibly can. So Kell, if you don't mind, I'm going to call this the "MANY HOLED Coleus Pot" because I love the way that sounds.

OK, a Two Gutted Tick is just an expression that someone we used to know used when he felt like he'd eaten "the whole thing".

Kell, your pot looks like it's ceramic. It's really cool looking and looks Expensive with a capital E! Those holes are much closer together than mine, but look to be bigger in diameter. Show us photos when you finish planting it.
I bet it will be beautiful!!!

I'm hoping that the way I cut mine, alternating the space, will give the plants more room to bush out. The holes are 7/8" which is almost as big as a quarter. Does sound rather small. I think I will ask hubby to show me how to put one of those bigger rings on my drill, or else leave me one of his today to enlarge the holes just a bit. My drill is only 14.4V, whereas his are all 18V. Mine's always been plenty strong enough for the things I do.

I was hoping that would be plenty of space for cuttings to be planted and continue to grow. I suppose I won't really know until it's a done deal.

I noticed on Onewish's thread that she said the dirt would come pouring out. The website she linked to said that all the holes didn't need to be planted, that the dirt wouldn't come out.

Quoting:
So you can buy new soil but no new plants? Soil is so expensive! That looks like a great shovel.

Kell, my "challenge" is not about the money. It's the challenge of NOT BUYING PLANTS, but appreciating what I already have. That soil was $8.49 a bag, so yes, it was quite expensive, (for dirt!). While I might have gotten off cheaper buying regular potting soil and adding the fertilizer myself, I remember buying this soil last year for my coleus and they all did quite well. I feel that the beautiful cuttings Patty sent me deserve great soil! :-)

The little shovel was an impulse buy, which I am very bad at. They parked a little stand of those and little rakes, claws, etc. right where I'd have to see them next to the Perlite. The perlite was so far back on the shelf that I had to use one of those little claws to reach it.

Last weekend when Connie got the caladiums and we went to plant them, she used her little shovel, slightly more narrow than my new one, and slide it right into the soil. When I saw the ease that she planted those caladiums, I knew then I was going to have to have me one of those.

OK, it's taken me 30 minutes to write all of this out and hubby's up. I best be getting my happy butt in there to figure out what I will add to the routine oatmeal this morning.

Be back later...

Janet

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

I've been out there planting up the Many Holed Coleus Pot this morning.

First, I went around collecting some cuttings of Strawberry Drop and Garnet Robe, which are trailers. I also cut off a couple of sprigs of yellow Portulaca.

I parked the Many Holed Coleus Pot on the trolley and began to fill it with the new soil. My hands were pretty dirty so I didn't take any photos until the pot was filled and the rest of the yard, along with the new Many Holed Coleus Pot, had been watered.

I've added the rest of the photos to the slide show. So, without further ado....

Thank you again Patty for helping me to stick with this challenge. I've named this pot Patty's Pot!

Janet

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

For the time being, I will leave the pot on the trolley so I can move it around until I find the spot that it does best. Once I find that spot, I'll park it. The trolley will make it easier to maneuver.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Oh, and Kell, I took a photo of the cobalt blue bowl and platter to show you what it looks like. I picked up this set at Goodwill for $5.99. It's very heavy and the glass is ribbed. Quite a few people were checking them out in my buggy the day I got them. This is the first time they've been in the kitchen since I bought them. I thought at that time they'd be gorgeous on the counter. Cobalt Blue is my very favorite color!

Janet

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Janet, I have a cobalt bue platter that looks just like your bowls. I love it.

I think that Patty's Pot is going to look fabulous. I can't wait to see a pic in a few weeks.

(Zone 9b)

Sounds like a great name! So does Patty's Pot. LOL Your pot looks great. We will need updates for sure.

I am so impressed you do all that yourself, Janet. And you fix your man breakfast. I know a guy in California you could steal from his wife if you wanted.

I have been fascinated for years with side planting. In the past I have gone to flea markets buying all sorts of containers that you can line with moss and then plant up the sides. For several years I used the old shopping carts with wheels on them, the ones older ladies (shoot like me now) fill with their grocery bags to walk home with. Also in the 40s they had big round baskets with metal wires as sides that they used in laundry mats that have wheels. I have 3 sizes and lined all 3 and planted them. They look great with petunias. I also use fishing line if the spaces between the metal wires are too wide and the moss won't stay in. I haven't planted the laundry baskets in a while. No more room, they are big.

Which reminds me. You could add wet moss around the plant you are planting so the moss fills in the hole where the plant does not. No dirt falls out then. And the plant can send shoots thru the moss.

Anyway, when I saw that many holed ceramic pot (in my favorite color I might add, an omen for sure to get it), a few weeks ago I just had to have it. I plotted a couple of weeks before I splurged. Then I couldn't get it out of the car so my husband helped me and he saw the price sticker. He was shocked. I told him it was handmade but he was not impressed. I also got it for 25% off but that bit didn't help him either. I must learn to appreciate and gather joy from what I have. That is what is missing from my equation. I always want more.

What a deal you got on that blue bowl. It is gorgeous. I always love things more if I got a deal. If I got taken, I start to hate whatever it is.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Quoting:
I am so impressed you do all that yourself, Janet. And you fix your man breakfast. I know a guy in California you could steal from his wife if you wanted.

Kell, Thanks, but I think 1 hubby is quite enough for this gal. :-) It's easy fixin' his breakfast during the week. All he ever wants is oatmeal and maybe a slice of toast. My job is to make it different each day (that's for ME!). I make it in the microwave in one of those little Pampered Chef steamers that I found for next to nothin' at Goodwill. My job is to chop an apple, or slice up a can of peaches, maybe toss in some craisins or raisins.

My Gran, who lived to be 94, had plain ol' oatmeal (made on the stove top) every day of his life and he was healthy as a horse. Evidently that made quite an impression on hubby. :-) Weekends, I make a big breakfast with bacon or sausage and eggs, biscuits or pancakes and grits or hash browns (that I buy in the frozen section). Because we don't have breakfast (eggs, etc.) during the week, sometimes I fix it for dinner.

Hubby has an easier time with eggs in the evenings for some reason. He's got a sugar problem that gives him the jitters if he eats them in the mornings. At least, that's what he tells me.

He does come home for lunch every day right at 11:00 a.m. He'd rather eat the same ol' swammich (ham and swiss) every day in the comfort of his home than go out to eat and spend that money.

Those metal baskets sound really neat. Sounds like you are making your own topiaries. I love using the unusual as planters. Keeps the garden uniquely mine. :-)

Janet

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Janet, I have to ask. What does a sugar problem and eggs have in common? Do eggs have sugar?

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Ya got me there Brinda. I've learned not to ask too many questions.

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

LOL I understand!

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

I love the planter Janet and your step by step picture demo is great. You do my cuttings proud!!!!!! Can't wait to see the pot as it fills out.

Patty

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Glad ya like it Patty. I rolled the planter out to towards the deck to keep the blazing sun off of them. I will most likely have to do the back and forth roll each day. The cuttings you gave me last year were in that same spot out by the deck last year and they loved it there.

I'll keep the photos updating as they grow out.

Janet

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

We're on day 4 now. I've been taking photos each day to show how well they are doing.

Here's the next morning after they'd been planted. Day 2 - 8 am Looks pretty shabby.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Day 3 - Late afternoon - Still looking a bit peaked, but I have faith they will perk up.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

THIS morning. They DO look better!!

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

They are beginning to "fluff" back out now.

Today I'll give them a big dose of Fish Emulsion.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Well, it's been 7 days now. This was taken this afternoon. I had to use a flash because of the way the sun was behind it.

Patty, I got your second box today and can't wait to get the lillies planted! THANK YOU!!!!!

Janet

(Zone 9b)

You have some beauties there, Janet. I want you to know I fertilized mine today after I thought how fast yours was growing!

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

Janet that pot is looking great; thanks for posting the updates. It's cool to watch it develop.

I wonder why that one took so long; I mailed them at the same time. It must have gotten misplaced. I'm glad it was bulbs and not plants. Clump the bulbs together in groups, toss some bone meal if you have it and make sure they are in full sun. If we would ever get a good rain, I'd have more blooms. Right now I just have one here and there.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

I have a feeling I should have planted the big leaf maroon coleus in the middle of the pot, rather than at the top. Only time will tell, I suppose.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Kell that Fish Emulsion is sure stinky, but it works rather well. I use it in a hose end sprayer and spray anything with a bloom until it's gone.

The brug bloom began to show it's stuff yesterday.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

The Brug is just about finished opening this morning... I still don't know what color it will fully be, but I'm thinking yellow.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

I don't know if it was the tree spikes, or the fish emulsion, or the wishfulness on my part, but I'm doggone glad to finally see something pretty from this space hog.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.