"Let us see your flowers beds and yards"

Port Vincent, LA(Zone 8b)

"Let us see your flowers beds". Not Buds, Not blooms, "Beds" and "Yards". Fountains and Arbors.

My back yard Jan 1st 2008

Thumbnail by Debbie2007

My back yard still in progress May 2008

Thumbnail by Debbie2007

I know it looks better, but not nearly completed. Since this shot I added the tropical bed and new tree bed, but you've already seen those. May I see yours now?

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Amazing what a few months or even weeks can do, isn't it Debbie! Yours is looking great. Here is what my hummingbird/butterfly garden and my heart-shaped rose bed looked like on April 20, 2008.

We started both of these beds last fall. Put down newspapers, then grass clippings, leaves, horse manure, mulch, and top soil from a nearby construction site--all of this was free and the moss-covered rocks came from some property we own in another county. We let both beds "cook" all winter and planted the rose bed with 12 roses in March. In the other bed, I planted some Mexican Petunias which I bought on sale at the end of the season last fall and also, a couple of daylilies and a few other things that Kathy Ann gave me. On April 26, I went to Randolph's Nursery in Jackson, TN with some other DGers and bought several plants. The photo in the next post will show you the h/b bed after I added those plants.

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

The H/B bed after putting in the plants I bought from Randolph's.

Thumbnail by marsue

I love your beds marsue, What have you got planted? I love curved beds. Where did you get those great rock edgers? What about the small round bed, what did you put in there?

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Here's a closer view of the H/B bed. I bought mainly perennials that flower pretty much from spring through fall. I didn't want to have the expense of having to replace annuals. Kathy Ann, Sheila, Sandra and Pat have all contributed plants to this bed--bless them! (Forgive me if I have left anyone out of this list.)

Thumbnail by marsue

That looks great. I know, that's what I told Kim (Lilylove) at the beginning of this year. No annuals. But you know, I just gotta. LOL

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

The rocks came from some property we own in another county. DH hauled at least two pick-up loads of rocks from over there. We have roses in the smaller bed along with two St. Joseph's Lilies which DH's aunt gave us. In the larger bed along the fence, from my friends here on DG, I have 2 daylilies, verbena, echinacea, red fox veronica, two different types of monarda (all from Kathy Ann), Hot lips salvia and pink bee balm(from Sandra), lamb's ear and CB(from Pat), cannas, at least two different types of mint, some kind of "dragon" plant, and that funny looking horse's tail plant and also a variegated something-or-other (all from Sheila). I have bought a Coconut Lime Echinachea, another Hot Lips salvia, a Black and Blue Salvia, several different types of daisies, 2 types of phlox, two ornamental corn plants (which do bloom), a Whirling Butterflies plant, "Oranges & Lemons" Gaillardia, a Cranesbill Geranium Hybrid "Rozanne", a Lanai Upright Series Verbena, a peony"Sorbet", and a yellow lantana. That sounds like a lot but my bed is far from full. I am planning on these plants multiplying and filling in. That is why I haven't put any more mulch on top--I'm leaving room for these plants to spread. We also have two climbing roses planted at the back of the H/B bed on the fence.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Here's what the H/B bed looked like yesterday. You can see the first bloom on the daylily which Kathy Ann gave me. The name of it is "Pearl Harbor". One of the corn plants is also in the foreground.

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Here is a closer view of the other end of the H/B bed. The "Blue Paradise" phlox is in bloom (it's actually purple). You can also see the fuzzy blooms on the "jester" corn plant (looks sort of like cattails. The rose on the left is "Joseph's Coat".

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Here's the rose bed a few days ago. Can you tell that I use Round-Up to kill the grass around the rocks? LOL

This message was edited Jun 7, 2008 1:36 PM

Thumbnail by marsue

Everything is looking great!!!!!! I love your last pic that shows everything at once. You have a fabulous yard. Isn't it great to walk out and see what else has bloomed. Nothing as good as gardening I say.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hi Debbie, Marilyn, here is where my once Tulips bed in early spring, and step back a little further back this is how the flower bed look today. I've been missing poting/chatting with you on the daily basic while vacationing, but I'm back home. Yessss!!!
Kim

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Here's front courtyard where I hide some potted hibiscus from the deer....

Thumbnail by bigbubbles
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Other view, closer to house

Thumbnail by bigbubbles
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Wow, Sandi! What's gorgeous setting. I love the ambiene, so inviting and elegan.
Kim

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks Kim...It's nice to be able to have coffee and read the paper in the morning without being seen in pjs!

Thumbnail by bigbubbles

Yea!!!!!Kim is back :) Thankyou for showing me how the early bulb beds can turn into something else so pretty, so quickly.

Sandi, one day you will have to have a RU at your house and invite all of us. :) We can all have coffee in our Pj's. Hmmmm, wonder where I can build me a little courtyard?

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Oh, good, Kim is back! and I can only hope my flowerbeds look as good as yours someday, Kim.
Sandi, I love your courtyard. Absolutely beautiful! The flowers are lovely and so is the stone or brick or whatever it is! I know what you mean about having your coffee in pj's without the neighbors seeing. DH and I do that on our back porch every morning.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Would be fun to have another group here one day. I'd love to have ya'll. We might have to have coffee in backyard, tho. 'Be a bit crowded out front! Most of the potted plants will go to the back in July...just gets too hot for 'em out front with west/afternoon sun beating down.

Front yard, back yard, we are not choosy. LOL. You never know about this group. Poor Jeri worked her heart out getting her yard ready for us and we all stayed under the carport. LOL

People............yard pics please. I knowwwwww ya'll have pics. If I could post that awful first pic, surely you can show me some more beds. I've still got the rest of my 2 acres that I can plant, but I need ideas. Come on now, let me see your flower beds and yards.

Cindy.......let me see what you did with all of those plants you bought in Forest Hill and I need to see your lily beds so I'll know how to plant mine.

Ripley, MS

I went out and made these special for you Debbie. Now remember, I live in the country in a mobile home on a little over 2 acres. I have 11 seperate beds and then beds around 3 sides of the trailer. I don't have much fancy stuff, just a lot of plants.
This is the long daylily bed by the side of the road. It has daylilies on each side and then other plants in between the daylilies. All of the daylilies in this bed are named varieties. YOu can only see a part of it, it is too long to fit in one picture. This shot is looking to the north.
Sandra

Thumbnail by slcdms
Ripley, MS

This is part of my secret garden, again, no way to get it all in a picture, it is a secret as it is the only place we can sit and not be seen from the road.

Thumbnail by slcdms
Ripley, MS

Hostas at the edge of the woods, Last year the morning glory in the pot covered the chair before the rabbits ate it and killed it.

Thumbnail by slcdms
Ripley, MS

More daylilies

Thumbnail by slcdms
Ripley, MS

This is my homemade Earth box that Jerry fixed for me Thursday. We put 2 tomatoes in there and I will keep you posted on their progress.
It is sitting at the side of yet another daylily bed--lol--they are everywhere !!
Sandra

Thumbnail by slcdms
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Sandra, your flowerbeds all look great! So pretty! I love the "cottage garden" look. That's what I am trying for in the bed along my back fence. However, I am curious about the white tubes and the "earth box". I don't want to hijack Debbie's thread so maybe you could dmail me about those.

Debbie: here is a photo of the flowerbed along our driveway. It is a bit more formal than the one in our backyard. We just put it in last fall about the same time we did the other two in the back. In this photo you can see tulips blooming and I also put in petunias all along the side next to the driveway. down the center are mums and there are 3 loropetalum shrubs in this bed--one on each end and one in the middle--we dug these up from the existing bed along the front foundation of the house because there were too many shrubs in there. I took this photo in early April.

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Here is a more recent photo of the same bed. Of course, the tulips have died down but the petunias are doing great and the mums are really growing and some of them are even blooming, much to my surprise! I still haven't decided what I want to put on the other side of this bed along the rocks--maybe more petunias?
I have some red yarrow in this bed but it is in the end closest to the house and you really can't see it in this photo. It is just now getting ready to bloom.

Thumbnail by marsue
Ripley, MS

Marilyn, I just put plants in spots--other than the daylilies. It is so much trouble to keep the names on the daylilies and I have lost a lot of tags this last winter.
I love my long bed by the road the best. I made it to be a width where I could work from either side and reach the middle. It is also wide enough to have daylilies on each side and other plants in the middle when the daylily show is over, the phlox will start to bloom and I hope to see some canna blooms there this year, I put several in there last fall.
It is too long to get in one shot, I started a small one there and went longer on both ends, but it is finished now. I can't add more beds, I can't keep up with the work on the ones I have now--LOL
Sandra

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

My little tropical garden in the backyard...

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Sandra...I love the secret garden! I have one too. DH always comes looking for me there. I also have a grow box, but I didn't plant the tomatoes in time this season. I put a screen over the pipe to keep the mosquitoes out. I'm also curious about your pipes in the daylilies!
Marsue...that's quite a bed. I'd love to have that much room in the sun to plant....without deer!

Ripley, MS

The PVC pipes in the daylilies are the name markers. Since I have so many I had to come up with an economical way to keep up with the names. I saw them about 12 inches long and then use the old label maker that impresses the letter on the tape. It looks weird in the winter, but the daylilies get big enought to hide most of them in the summer, from the passerbys anyway. You can hammer them into the ground as far as you want, since I had my last back surgery I am having a hard time getting down to read some of them.
Sandra

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

That's ingenious! I couldn't figure it out. Thought it was some kind of watering system! That would sure keep a grandchild from mixing up the tags (I speak from experience)....

Ripley, MS

I still watch the grands pretty close around the daylily beds--LOL
I know the nice metal tags look better, but let a dog run through and it bends or gets knocked out of the ground. this system has worked well for me. I still have lots that don't have the "permenant marker" yet. I don't see this summer as being the one to get it finished either--LOL.
I also put the named daylily beds running either east to west or north to south. The ones that run east to west have the name on the west side and the north south have the names on the south side. In the beds around the house, I try to get them right in fromt of the plant.
The tall pipe in one of the daylily beds is made to put the sprinkler into. that is the only bed I can use a sprinkler to my advantage. The others I have to hold the hose on-I wish I had a watering system-LOL
Sandra

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I don't have many of beds...mostly close ups of blooms but I do have these of the expanson of a shady bed. Hydrangeas and azaleas had over grown the bed so I pulled it out a few feet and added some hostas,ferns,indian pinks and impatients for summer color. They're small in this pix but they were planted about a month ago so should be bigger and possibly blooming by now. You know your too busy when you can't even get around to checking new plantings from a month ago but now that our farmers market's grand open is done and over with for another season maybe I can get a chance to stop and smell the roses.

P

Thumbnail by bigred
Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

from the other end

Thumbnail by bigred
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Debbie no pictures of mine just yet. All beds are in the stage of destruction. I am reworking the older ones and creating newer ones. I will try to get them back together and make some pictures. My beds are so big that when I back up to shoot them the plants are small just yet and do not show up. I can't afford to buy big plants. I have to wait for the little ones to grow. My beds are nothing special just large sweeping areas. The dayliles are in a seperate bed rowed like a garden. nothing special there. I have some worked into the beds and I am adding some more.

Thumbnail by Riverland

Oh what wonderful wonderful pictures. I feel like I just got to go to each of your gardens and take a nice stroll thru as you tell me about your plants.

Sandra, just look at your rolling hills. All I know is flat land. And your daylily beds, my goodness, how did you plant all of that. And your wonderful secret garden. I need a secret garden too. And now I just have to have a blue chair.(Well, maybe red LOL) Oh my, what a wonderful visit. Thankyou so much for the pics.

Gosh Marilyn, how many long beds do you have. Mercy what a lot of work. Now I see how to make curved beds by the driveway. You've given your neighbors a beautiful view. I will have to go to alot of RU's to get enough plants and buy me a tiller. Everything is so pretty.

And sweet Kim, one day I will just drive up to your house and get to walk all along your paths, but I'm sure I will find myself sitting next to the wonderful water just taking it all in. I love your tropical garden.

P, I love your beds. I would like to just get me a chair and put it right there in the second picture , by the tree, and enjoy a cup of coffee and soak in the beauty.

Cindy, Cindy, Cindy. Would you just look at all of the daylilies. My goodness, how many do you have? I can't even imagine doing all of that planting. It looks beautiful. And look at your rolling hills with the horses. And I can't wait to see your large sweeping beds. Gosh, just wonderful.

Well, I can see I have my work cut out for me. Time to expand.......LOL I cannot tell all of you how much I have enjoyed all the pics this morning. Let's me feel like I just got to visit each of you. Please continue to post more pics and thankya'll for telling me the plants in the photos. What a treat.

Ripley, MS

Debbie, you have to remember, I have been working on mine for close to 20 years now. They have been done and redone so many times. Just last year I gave away a lot of no name daylilies so I could have room for newer named ones. I still have about a dozen in pots that need a home. I only have a few zinnias in the long daylily bed, just about eveything else in there is perennial so I don't have to plant new things every year.
Headed out for church, hope everyone has a wonderful day.
Sandra

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.